Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

moving to Stockholm / thinking of a Surly 1x1

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

moving to Stockholm / thinking of a Surly 1x1

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 12:39 AM
Boe
fixed.se

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by endform
Disc brakes aren't <i>that</i> heavy and there are some pretty strong benefits. Maybe you'd gain 200 grams? Not a big deal IMHO. I've taken to riding around my mtn bike when it's wet out just because i don't have to deal with that whole "oh I guess my brakes won't work for a few seconds, I wish I really could have them right now" thing.
Actually I wrote that my disc wheelset was heavier than my openpro/miche primato wheels. But if you got the money you can sure build light disc wheelsets.

Im glad you guys like the bike, here's a recent pic incl mechanical disc brakes.

Old 02-27-07, 01:01 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Disc brakes aren't <i>that</i> heavy and there are some pretty strong benefits. Maybe you'd gain 200 grams? Not a big deal IMHO. I've taken to riding around my mtn bike when it's wet out just because i don't have to deal with that whole "oh I guess my brakes won't work for a few seconds, I wish I really could have them right now" thing.
I decided to measure the things. Nothing beats scientific approach

1 set (meaning, for 1 wheel) of calipers Deore mechanical discbrakes + 160 mm XT rotor is about 480 g
1 set of extremely crappy V brakes + pads (again, meaning for 1 wheel) is about 175 g

The difference is 305 g for one wheel. Since both are cable activated, I think it's safe to ignore that difference.

You should take into consideration that disk hubs are generally heavier/beefier than non-disk. I would say the difference is about 15-25g per hub.

But of course, one could then get a disk-specific rim, which may be lighter, but is, IMHO, a stupid thing as it completely precludes the use of any rim brakes.

Anyhow, going with disk brakes, at least in the case of Deore mechanical, would mean 610-650g heavier set. FOR ME that's negligeable, because I despise weight-weenis and love steel frames and burly components.
Old 02-27-07, 07:47 AM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
But of course, one could then get a disk-specific rim, which may be lighter, but is, IMHO, a stupid thing as it completely precludes the use of any rim brakes.
Just to be fair, a rim wheelset completely precludes the use of any disc brakes. And saving weight on the rim makes more of a difference than saving weight at the hub (more rotational inertia for the same gain in mass).
Old 02-27-07, 08:14 AM
riderx
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can ride ride to sweet trails right from downtown Stockholm. Lots of bicycle fun to be had there. The 1x1 will suit you well there, took mine there this summer for the Single Speed World Championship.

Old 02-27-07, 10:45 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by Aeroplane
Just to be fair, a rim wheelset completely precludes the use of any disc brakes.
Not if you use a disk hub.
Old 02-27-07, 05:09 PM
endform
blacksheep the blemish

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur (manufactured by panasonic), Italvega Super Speciale (fixed, primary ride now), Kona 2004 JTS 10 spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'd be interested to know what an LX or XT disc brakeset is going to weigh (for front and back combined). You could always do it funky style and rock the mullet (disc front, rim rear). This is probably the most sensible (if not entirely sexy) way to do it because you get the groovy stopping power of a disc up front (where your power is anyways for stopping) and you don't have to pay quite as much cause you can go big and get a nice 40 dollar brake in back.
Old 02-27-07, 09:22 PM
skitbraviking
the way we get by

Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riderx
You can ride ride to sweet trails right from downtown Stockholm. Lots of bicycle fun to be had there. The 1x1 will suit you well there, took mine there this summer for the Single Speed World Championship.

Wow, I think I have some of those same shots of Gamla Stan in my recent photostream of Sweden from last year:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skitbra...7594224546544/
Old 02-27-07, 09:26 PM
skitbraviking
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody for your input. Some of those posts about weight of disc vs more conventional breaks made my head hurt. Lots to consider. I'm probably going to built it up slowly or semi-slowly and also see what I can find on ebay or whatever. I'll keep you posted.

Right now it looks like it's a Karate Monkey for me but we'll see what pops up on the internet.
Old 02-28-07, 09:49 AM
riderx
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could always do it funky style and rock the mullet (disc front, rim rear). This is probably the most sensible (if not entirely sexy) way to do it because you get the groovy stopping power of a disc up front (where your power is anyways for stopping) and you don't have to pay quite as much cause you can go big and get a nice 40 dollar brake in back.
That's how both of my MTBs are set up. That way I can run a fixed/free hub in the rear. Plus it's a cheaper way to get the most bang for your buck. I run a Hope Mini on one bike and an Avid Juicy on the other. Both are pretty light and the cost compared to other hydros isn't outrageous.
Old 03-03-07, 10:47 PM
skitbraviking
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update:

I bought myself a Karate Monkey, pooh brown, just like Boe's. I also scored some low rise Easton bars, and a pair of orange grips (165 says it's going to be the candy corn bike). Currently working on a Chris King headset, some Surly SS 29" wheels, and a set of Race Face cranks.

Anybody know anything about Race Face cranks? Any feedback? They look really good from descriptions and they come with a BB!

Also: anybody have any suggestions for a pair of tires that are not too thick in traction and good for snow?
Old 03-03-07, 11:02 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by skitbraviking
Update:

I bought myself a Karate Monkey, pooh brown, just like Boe's. I also scored some low rise Easton bars, and a pair of orange grips (165 says it's going to be the candy corn bike). Currently working on a Chris King headset, some Surly SS 29" wheels, and a set of Race Face cranks.

Anybody know anything about Race Face cranks? Any feedback? They look really good from descriptions and they come with a BB!

Also: anybody have any suggestions for a pair of tires that are not too thick in traction and good for snow?
I have been abusing these Hakkapelitta 106W, 700Cx47 (you can find them thinner, but why would you?), and they took it all without any problem. I had the smoothest of winter rides so far.

If I had a Karate Monkey, I'd definitely try something even wider, expecially if you plan on going xc. But seriously, for winter biking, the wider the tires, the better. That's my theory, anyway.
Old 03-03-07, 11:12 PM
skitbraviking
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been abusing these Hakkapelitta 106W, 700Cx47 (you can find them thinner, but why would you?), and they took it all without any problem. I had the smoothest of winter rides so far.

If I had a Karate Monkey, I'd definitely try something even wider, expecially if you plan on going xc. But seriously, for winter biking, the wider the tires, the better. That's my theory, anyway.
Yea, that's what I'm thinking, nice and wide but not silly Large Marge wide, but wide, nonetheless.

Hakkapelitta?... Sounds Finnish.

Man, Finland really focuses well and destroys the competition... good tires, good hockey goalies, good mobile phones.
Old 03-04-07, 03:19 AM
Bikkhu
sVe

Bikes: Nishiki Continental fixed winter beater, Fixed Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, that's what I'm thinking, nice and wide but not silly Large Marge wide, but wide, nonetheless.

Hakkapelitta?... Sounds Finnish.

Man, Finland really focuses well and destroys the competition... good tires, good hockey goalies, good mobile phones.
Hakkapeliitta are made by the now so called Nokian tyres (or Suomi tyres, in the US, mehtinks?). Anyway - Nokia (the mobile phone maker) used to be a part of the same company - Nokia (named after a town in mid-Finland) started out by making wellington rubber boots for farmers. you can still buy Nokia boots over here

However - since spring is almost here - I'd suggest investing in 29" Schwalbe Big Apple-tires (or Super Moto, which is basically the same tire with bit more fancier compound and steeper price). They are fun as hell! Also, I'd definetly look into Panaracer FireCross 29er. Looks awesome
Old 03-04-07, 03:50 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by Bikkhu
Hakkapeliitta are made by the now so called Nokian tyres (or Suomi tyres, in the US, mehtinks?). Anyway - Nokia (the mobile phone maker) used to be a part of the same company - Nokia (named after a town in mid-Finland) started out by making wellington rubber boots for farmers. you can still buy Nokia boots over here

However - since spring is almost here - I'd suggest investing in 29" Schwalbe Big Apple-tires (or Super Moto, which is basically the same tire with bit more fancier compound and steeper price). They are fun as hell! Also, I'd definetly look into Panaracer FireCross 29er. Looks awesome

First of all, most Nokian tires are still made in our beloved Finland. The Hakkapelitta line definitely is.

Second thing: you can buy Nokia paper tissues. A company that, probably, was part of the same concern decades ago.

Third: I will definitely get me the Schwalbe Big Apple - as soon as I get a decent 29er frame (or maybe I'll just shove them into a 26" MTB frame somehowdontknowyethow, but spring is not almost here. It's not even nearly here. We're still 2 full months away from spring. I fully remember my aprils in Helsinki, and till the last days of it, there's ice and snow. Man, you're, like, not even living in Finland
Old 03-04-07, 04:06 AM
Bikkhu
sVe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, most Nokian tires are still made in our beloved Finland. The Hakkapelitta line definitely is.

Second thing: you can buy Nokia paper tissues. A company that, probably, was part of the same concern decades ago.

Third: I will definitely get me the Schwalbe Big Apple - as soon as I get a decent 29er frame (or maybe I'll just shove them into a 26" MTB frame somehowdontknowyethow, but spring is not almost here. It's not even nearly here. We're still 2 full months away from spring. I fully remember my aprils in Helsinki, and till the last days of it, there's ice and snow. Man, you're, like, not even living in Finland
When I was doing messengerwork I used to switch to slicks well before April... It somehow made me feel srping was just around the corner

And Schwable makes a 26" version, too. I ran those on my Surly LHT
Old 03-04-07, 05:50 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

And Schwable makes a 26" version, too. I ran those on my Surly LHT
I know. For some reason, I just know the Schwalbe tire offering very well (I have the snowstuds and the marathon plus), and I will be getting the 2.3" Big Apples for my 26" MTB, but I'm really gung-ho about 29ers. A year from now, I might be riding 29er exclusively, for all my cycling needs and all seasons.
Old 03-04-07, 09:39 AM
skitbraviking
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been to Nokia or at least close... Tampere. I once taught English/Swedish in Hartola, and a friend/co-worker there moved to Tampere where I visited him. He taught in Nokia, nevertheless.

I hope to find one tire that will be good for year-around. I don't know if that is realistic.

I did in fact see a pair of Nokia boots at some point. His sister's husband is a farmer up around Sysma so I got to see Finnish cow country and drink sahti, too! And of course koskenkorva (SP?).
Old 03-04-07, 10:24 AM
Bikkhu
sVe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been to Nokia or at least close... Tampere. I once taught English/Swedish in Hartola, and a friend/co-worker there moved to Tampere where I visited him. He taught in Nokia, nevertheless.

I hope to find one tire that will be good for year-around. I don't know if that is realistic.

I did in fact see a pair of Nokia boots at some point. His sister's husband is a farmer up around Sysma so I got to see Finnish cow country and drink sahti, too! And of course koskenkorva (SP?).

Oh wow, you'v done more "native" stuff than me!
Old 03-04-07, 10:43 AM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are they finally making a 29/700 Super Moto? About ****ing time!
Old 03-04-07, 11:36 AM
Bikkhu
sVe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim-bob
Are they finally making a 29/700 Super Moto? About ****ing time!
I thoght they did, but there´s not even a mention of Super Moto in this year´s website. Doh. Still, the 35-622 "Kojak" slick seems pretty interesting
Old 03-04-07, 02:18 PM
skitbraviking
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thoght they did, but there´s not even a mention of Super Moto in this year´s website. Doh. Still, the 35-622 "Kojak" slick seems pretty interesting
Have the link to the site?
Old 03-04-07, 03:30 PM
skitbraviking
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody know any good on line retailer of 29" wheelsets in the US?
Old 03-04-07, 06:33 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hurry up and get to Sweden - I need to come visit already!
Old 03-04-07, 07:42 PM
ECDkeys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
skitbraviking, I'm taking a guess that you're first language is English, not Swedish. If this assumption is correct, how did you line up work as lärare i Sverige? If my assumption is incorrect, then forgive me.

Enjoy Stockholm. It's been twenty years since I've visited.
Old 03-04-07, 08:18 PM
endform
blacksheep the blemish

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur (manufactured by panasonic), Italvega Super Speciale (fixed, primary ride now), Kona 2004 JTS 10 spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man I really want to go back to Sweden, I traveled with my family in the south the summer after I graduated high school (almost 4 years ago) and loved it. The countryside was awesome and the people very friendly and awfully nice about speaking english to us/me. I really want to back and see more of the country, also the beaches are amazing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.