Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Cycling with baby twins

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Cycling with baby twins

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-12, 09:33 AM
Javier

Bikes: None at this moment...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling with baby twins

Good morning,

Happy Easter to everyone! I am the father of 11-months old twin girls. My wife and I are trying to figure out the best way to take our twins cycling with us. I am debating between utility bikes such as Trek Transport, Yuba Mundo, Kona Ute (fitted with peanut shell seats on the rear rack), or a regular bicycle fitted with a childer carrier/trailer such as Burley or Chariot.

Does anyone have experience and/or thoughts with either of these choices/options?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-12, 09:39 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had some success with an older mtb with a heavy duty carrier and child basket on the back. The basket has leg rests and a seat belt so a young child won't fall out, but its probably better suited to 2-3 year old. When my eldest was younger I'd take her hiking/cycling in a baby backpack attached to my chest rather than my back. That way I can monitor what is going on at all times. She would sleep most of the time.
I think with small kids you might find that the trailer would be the best bet to start.
Old 04-08-12, 09:51 PM
Ravenhog

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Transit Rock Creek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a two month old daughter that I have been pulling in a trailer since she was around a year old. She always rides with a stuffed animal strapped in next to her and loves interacting with the bear. She absolutely loves the trailer and I don't think that she would like long rides being in a seat. Our rides are usually over an hour long and she has never fussed about getting out or wanting to be done with the ride. I always set her up with a stack of picture books, snacks and something to drink which would hard to do with her in a seat. Your twins might enjoy interacting with each on rides which could keep them happier longer. I live near several trails so we usually just head out from home. If you have to travel to your starting destination take into consideration the size of bike/trailer or bike with baby seats,ect. If you have a truck no problem.

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...3&d=1333508220

Last edited by Ravenhog; 04-08-12 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 04-09-12, 02:56 PM
amdoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a Chariot Cougar I that our 4 yo son has been riding in since he was 9 mos. old- waited for his neck to be strong enough to support his head and used the added infant stabilizer cushions. He loves it. When he was young, he would fall asleep within 10 minutes. Now, he likes having a snack and checking out the scenery while we run errands. Opted for the Chariot based on the adjustable suspension. They're pricey but we've put on about 2k miles w/o any problems.

I would recommend a trailer over the seats while they're young. I have a Big Dummy that I'll be putting stoker bars and foot rests on soon because he's getting a little big for the trailer. Holding off for now because I don't trust him to hold on just yet!
Old 04-09-12, 03:39 PM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz with Rohloff; mutt parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 Chariot Cougar (or better). Burley D'Lite isn't bad either. Don't skimp on the trailer's quality, because the kids really are your bicycle hostages. If they love it, you'll really love it; and if they're miserable, you'll probably never ride again, get a farting over-sized SUV and scream obscenities at all the other bicyclists still having fun. That, and you'll get a mullet.
Old 04-10-12, 12:37 PM
ebartom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you'd be better off with the utility bike; they'll be able to ride it for much longer, and you can use it for other stuff too. On our xtracycle we can carry two kids plus their two bikes and a diaper bag (or two kids, the diaper bag, and the thanksgiving groceries, or whatever), and that makes it very flexible, and makes it easy for it to grow with our needs.

In the beginning, we had one peapod, one ibert, and one set of stoker bars on the xtracycle. Now we have a roundabout seat ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Round...89706294471666 ). You don't have to wait til they're old enough for stoker bars to use an xtracycle. And I feel a lot more secure in traffic in a shorter rig that is high up off the ground. Plus I can talk to them, which is hard to do when they're down and back in a trailer.