Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Broken elbow: is a bent the answer?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 03:34 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My brother has been riding with his kids for a multi-weekend trip on road bikes. They are going to ride down the California Cost from Ventura to San Diego. Unfortunately, my brother hit the deck and broke his elbow today. He has had this trip planned for over a year and the rooms reserved, kids all ready, time off work set, and then this.

Anyhow, I told him that a bent might allow him to still do the trip. The kids ride rather slow and don't climb too fast. He is open to the idea. So I need some help/tips about how this might work. What style bike should I look for? His budget is around 500 bucks so it will be a used bike...from Bakersfield CA or San Diego CA. (Craigslist cities we can buy from)

Last edited by ggg300; 07-07-13 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-06-13, 03:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
With a bent, generally, there is no weight-bearing, as it were, on the arms/wrists/hands. But, it does take two arms for most folks to ride a bike, even a recumbent. Does he know yet what restrictions he will have on use of the injured arm?
Old 07-06-13, 04:51 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Nope, in good conscience I can't recommend a bent in that case, either. It takes a good deal of familiarization to ride a bent one-handed, and besides what would happen if he fell? Maybe a trike, going really slow. Even that would be tricky for riding one-handed. But then it's doubtful he'd find a $500 trike. Maybe he can consider driving the SAG vehicle for the boys.
Old 07-06-13, 05:11 PM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you check Craigslist Orange County there are a couple of nice Sun EZ Sports up for sale...
Old 07-06-13, 07:15 PM
dekindy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are actually problems for which there are no solutions. SAG driver might even be too difficult.
Old 07-06-13, 07:58 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
A trike might just be the answer. TerraTrike I believe can supply a brake lever that will apply the brakes on both sides.
Old 07-06-13, 09:10 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Assuming it's a relatively minor radial head fracture (very common cycling injury) he can ride right away. Just don't crash. I was paddling class IV whitewater 2 weeks after my last one, with nothing more than an Aleve preparty. I was road biking in less time than that.
Old 07-06-13, 09:16 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
A friend of mine broke her wrist rollerblading a week before Cycle Oregon. She got a Ryan Vanguard (this was about 15 years ago) and did the ride without issue, including a lap around Crater Lake.

I agree with Blazing: riding a recumbent one-handed is not the way I would learn. My friend had the advantage of being able to rest her hand on the handlebar, even with a cast. A broken elbow is another kettle of monkeys.

Yikes- 500 bucks will not buy you much of a 'bent. A Sun EZ Sport is an OK bike though.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-06-13, 10:04 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
With a bent, generally, there is no weight-bearing, as it were, on the arms/wrists/hands. But, it does take two arms for most folks to ride a bike, even a recumbent. Does he know yet what restrictions he will have on use of the injured arm?
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Nope, in good conscience I can't recommend a bent in that case, either. It takes a good deal of familiarization to ride a bent one-handed, and besides what would happen if he fell? Maybe a trike, going really slow. Even that would be tricky for riding one-handed. But then it's doubtful he'd find a $500 trike. Maybe he can consider driving the SAG vehicle for the boys.
I see. I have seen used bikes for about 500-600ish so I had some hope. I am sure we are talking about pins, cast, and maybe even reconstruction.
Old 07-06-13, 10:06 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
A trike might just be the answer. TerraTrike I believe can supply a brake lever that will apply the brakes on both sides.
A trike seems like something we can talk about! What should I be looking for in terms of a trike that would be as close to a road bike as we can get used?
Old 07-06-13, 10:09 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dekindy
There are actually problems for which there are no solutions. SAG driver might even be too difficult.
There is SAG support but the kids need someone in the group to keep them safe. That was my brother.
Old 07-07-13, 12:08 AM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
?
Attached Images
Old 07-07-13, 12:38 AM
tshelver

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sold my Sun Sport AX (aluminum frame with very reasonable components) for around that price. That's one of the easiest 2 wheel bents to learn on. But probably a tadpole trike with under seat steering would be the best bet. Sun sold one model which should be relatively cheap now, but was quite heavy. A better option is probably one of the Actionbent or Performer trike, those were around $1200 to 1600 new. Craigslist or bentrider.com are 2 places to look.
Old 07-07-13, 06:55 AM
dekindy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ggg300
?
Venture, CA to San Diego, CA is almost 200 miles? This is not even remotely realistic with the recumbent pictured. Too heavy and too far and no recumbent experience or conditioning. I would not try it without a broken elbow.

Can't he just ride in the SAG vehicle? Assuming you mean they need a chaperone as he cannot "protect" them. Maybe we are missing something here. How old are the kids, what are they riding, duration of trip, daily mileage, elevation profile of route, etc? What is a multi-weekend trip; did you mean week?
Old 07-07-13, 07:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
ggg300

When you say as close to a road bike as possible, that generally again says more money. Money buys lightness in trikes as in road bikes. Review ads with trikes that have a 26" or 700 rear wheel, and when you see one that seems right, start checking ads for used trikes. Angletech and Hostel Shopee have used trikes, and for sale ads.
Old 07-07-13, 11:55 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I see. I have seen used bikes for about 500-600ish so I had some hope. I am sure we are talking about pins, cast, and maybe even reconstruction.
A surgical repair would be followed by a period of limited activity, to be defined by the ortho doc. Would guess that would exclude cycling for a while.
Old 07-07-13, 01:11 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dekindy
Venture, CA to San Diego, CA is almost 200 miles? This is not even remotely realistic with the recumbent pictured. Too heavy and too far and no recumbent experience or conditioning. I would not try it without a broken elbow.

Can't he just ride in the SAG vehicle? Assuming you mean they need a chaperone as he cannot "protect" them. Maybe we are missing something here. How old are the kids, what are they riding, duration of trip, daily mileage, elevation profile of route, etc? What is a multi-weekend trip; did you mean week?
Every weekend the group rides 50 miles. They have been doing this for some time now. It is what I would call base pace tempo riding. The youngest is 10 and the oldest is 14. I have ridden with them and the amount of guidance about gearing, drinking water, looking out for cars, pace line, ect can be a bit. As you ride in the group it is much easier to role model what they should be doing and looking out for. My brother's wife is SAG support.

The trip is multi weekend, 50 miles a three day weekend trip. They stop, eat, drink, and pray along the way (my brother is religious).The kids love it and this is their 2nd trip like this. The 1st was from Bakersfield CA to Pismo beach CA.
Old 07-07-13, 01:14 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
A surgical repair would be followed by a period of limited activity, to be defined by the ortho doc. Would guess that would exclude cycling for a while.

I would tend to agree. My bother has put a lot of loving time and planning to make this happen. So we are looking for some way to pull this off.
Old 07-07-13, 01:48 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Every weekend the group rides 50 miles. They have been doing this for some time now. It is what I would call base pace tempo riding. The youngest is 10 and the oldest is 14. I have ridden with them and the amount of guidance about gearing, drinking water, looking out for cars, pace line, ect can be a bit. As you ride in the group it is much easier to role model what they should be doing and looking out for. My brother's wife is SAG support.

The trip is multi weekend, 50 miles a three day weekend trip. They stop, eat, drink, and pray along the way (my brother is religious).The kids love it and this is their 2nd trip like this. The 1st was from Bakersfield CA to Pismo beach CA.
They'll probably enjoy this book, then: https://www.amazon.com/Hey-Ride-Bike-.../dp/096257077X

I think riding a Sun 'bent 50-60 miles a day at a 10-year-old's pace one-armed is doable, especially if they're staying in motels instead of camping. Ventura to San Diego is mostly bike lanes and/or dedicated bike paths, even though you're never out of populated areas. Oxnard to Malibu and through Camp Pendleton are the only places that I'd call "low-traffic".

(I grew up there- Pasadena- and I've ridden many of those roads before.)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-07-13, 03:08 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I broke and dislocated my left elbow when I was a kid. Doc came into the ER, looked at the X-rays, and said, "****! One of those!" Said I probably wouldn't get full use back, ever. He was wrong. But the road back was not pleasant. In the hospital almost a week before the swelling went down enough for them to operate, then 6 weeks in a cast. The cast was HUGE so it could accommodate the pins, which protruded from my arm. They came out at about 4 weeks. I barely notice the 5-inch scars on each side of my arm, and my only limitation is that if I do push-ups it gets sore in a hurry.

I vote in favor of not riding; besides, sweating in a cast would be uncomfortable!
Old 07-10-13, 03:07 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have to agree that with a broken elbow, the use of a trike might be best. There would be no balance issues when first staring out, they are easy to steer one handed and as previously mentioned, one could be set up with a single lever operating both brakes. I personally ride a TerraTrike Path tadpole trike and love it. May I suggest having your brother contact TerraTrike directly and inquire whether one of their California dealers offers rentals. That by itself could be a cost savings for him, why buy if he can rent. Have him try this link: https://www.terratrike.com/index.php The people at TT are very helpful.