Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Terry Trixie Mixte

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 05:59 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 173 Posts
Terry Trixie Mixte

I was bored today so i went i picked up this bike. I was intrigued by Terry's story and wanted a funky bike from the company. This one fits the bill i think. Not too much info about it but the bike has nice components on it. The ride is most unstable of all the bikes i've ridden so far. I wonder that may be the reason it never caught on. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Thanks

Last edited by tmnguuyen; 04-26-23 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-26-23, 06:09 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 196 Posts
Looks like the 24" front wheel / 700c rear wheel Terry variant. I've not seen a mixte version before, tho.

Every Terry I've rebuilt is really good quality, frame and components. This one, however, is a bit of a monstrosity, with the 24" front wheel, some kind of stem extender and a massively high reach.

I'm guessing this was a custom setup to accommodate a particular need, but what it really does is turn this Terry into a high-center-of-gravity, almost chopper bike. No wonder it feels unstable.

Get that stem extender off, thereby lowering the bars a good amount. The 24" front wheel leads to zippy steering and cornering, with a very low center of gravity. For someone who is short and has had to deal with oversize bikes with sluggish steering, it can be a revelation.

If you keep it, stock a few spares of the 24" tubes and tires. Never hurts to have them on hand when needed.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 04-26-23, 06:18 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 173 Posts
Thanks, i'll take the extension off. It is hideous with it on not to mention the unstable ride.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 04-26-23, 11:06 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 332 Posts
Great looking frame. I agree this is a stupid build. Maybe if they had installed hinges so it could fold in the middle it would make more sense.

That said, I can sort of understand the motivation for a flipper to do a stupid build to make a Terry rideable for a larger person. We've had a number of Terry bikes pass through the co-op. I've heard about how great and life-changing they are for super short riders, but none of the bikes we had got bought by super short riders. They all ended up getting sold for unimpressive prices to medium size college girls who thought they were cute.

Market economics is not all its cracked up to be.
Old 04-26-23, 11:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,592 Posts
I bet this bike would be an A+ ride for the right person who uses a racing position and therefore would have dropped bars and a traditional road stem. And for that person,this might be one of the very few bikes ever made with a dream fit and ride. (Dropped bars and a stem of some real length would alleviate a lot of the steering issues seen now. Might be simply "performance sweet".)
Old 05-01-23, 04:53 PM
amyvegan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
This is my favorite model of bike ever as I am 5 feet tall with short arms/legs. This bike was MADE FOR ME.
I have a hot pink one. If yours is a 16" or 17.5 inch and you ever want to sell it, please contact me first.