Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicycle deaths on the rise nationally, study finds

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicycle deaths on the rise nationally, study finds

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 05:21 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Sorry you don't like my post.
You called it "essentially useless". I agree.
Old 09-25-17, 05:55 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
They don't "usually" but they do. And, if they do, it's a significant event for them.

Why are you only concerned with deaths?
You know who isn’t counted in the FARS database? Can you guess?

As poor of the quality of the data we have on people on bicycles who die on public roads in motor vehicle crashes, you know what is even poorer quality? (Did you guess injuries?)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-25-17 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-25-17, 07:44 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Cyclists don't die on their own. Bad drivers smash into them as well as into each other.

Many adults are simply unsafe, clumsy, inattentive and unfocused..and shouldn't be driving. Unfortunately, their decision to stay in their cars mean the risk of fatality for all road users remain high.

But people are fixated on blaming the victims of road fatalities on the victims.

When the number of bad drivers are reduced, so will the fatalities of cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists.
How do you make safer drivers?
Old 09-25-17, 07:50 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by njkayaker

Citation needed.
Post 41.
Old 09-25-17, 08:19 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Yes some cyclists DO die on their own.
The typical dead cyclist is actually a late 40s MAMIL on a CF bike. Next is the inexperienced cyclist on a wal-mart bike. I wouldn't ride either of these bikes.
Old 09-26-17, 06:17 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
How do you make safer drivers?
There are many solutions studied around the world but again political will gets in the way in favour of the bad driver.

Intentional traffic calming obstructions force motorists to drive carefully. But critics say they slow down traffic times too much.

In Ontario, legislation is being proposed to increase the fine for road fatalities to $50,000, max 2 years in jail and demerit points. Current fine is only $500. An election is coming up and I can see critics state that the proposal is another cash-grab. How much is a life worth?

I have stated many times in these discussion forums that in order to earn a drivers license one should be required to have 8 hours of in traffic bicycle experience. One survey indicated a lot of would-be cyclists don't because of motorists. That's people being afraid to cycle because of themselves.
Old 09-26-17, 06:23 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
The typical dead cyclist is actually a late 40s MAMIL on a CF bike. Next is the inexperienced cyclist on a wal-mart bike. I wouldn't ride either of these bikes.
I'd like to see the statistics for each of these:
Pedestrians, motorists, cyclists.

How many are killed due to collision with
Pedestrians
Motorists
Cyclists
On their own.

I bet the number of motorists who die on their own would be much higher than for pedestrians and cyclists.

I'm also willing to bet that the majority of fatalities for each of these travellers are due to collisions by motorists.

As one flight attendant had stated to her passengers on arrival, the most dangerous part of the trip is the drive home.
Old 09-26-17, 06:38 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is a lot simpler-according to NHTSB- than this thread would indicate.
Drivers are TEXTING more(zero texting in 1990)-so they are hitting cars bikes pedestrians more often.

And everyone who rides drives-JUST LOOK AT THE DRIVERS-especially those who are stopped for ANY REASON(yeah many at intersections)
and many who are actually moving- are TEXTING

Geez 2 years ago I was hit by one-bright clear Sunday 9am while I was 4 feet from the road on the shoulder!!
I always FRAP-still do-but I was still WHAPPED by his spring loaded mirror-dumped into a nice grassy soft ditch

It is SIMPLE-drivers TEXT- a large percentage admit they TEXT and drive.

Arguing that the numbers DON'T necessarily indicate what they obviously Do indicate
Just open your eyes-watch the drivers
LC VC middle of the lane positioning is even MORE dangerous now that it was pre-texting
Pre-Text LCers could claim-plausibly-that their position in the middle of the lane made them more visible
Of course pre-texting drivers would hit BIG YELLOW SCHOOL BUSES and say "I didn't see it"
and they weren't lying
They just weren't paying attention(distracted driving isn't new)

Middle of the lane is where cars spend the most time(even ones only intermittently guided by TEXTERS) is the most dangerous position in TEXT AGE

There is no good solution-for bike riders-in the TEXTING AGE

My guess is the insurance CORPS will push a tech. solution-blocking texting while driving
Yeah Texters drivers will whine
But Big Insurance has LOTS of power-they would have to raise rates(pretty high already) or lower profits or force change on the phone and car "makers/sellers/plan providers"
Bicycle riders-ZERO power

Last edited by phoebeisis; 09-26-17 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 07:02 AM
njkayaker

Post 41.
No, the citation of what you are claiming VC advocates are saying.
Old 09-26-17, 07:05 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mr_bill
You know who isn’t counted in the FARS database? Can you guess?

As poor of the quality of the data we have on people on bicycles who die on public roads in motor vehicle crashes, you know what is even poorer quality? (Did you guess injuries?)

-mr. bill
Yes, I knew all that. What you say here isn't really relevant to what I said.
Old 09-26-17, 07:40 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Where did you get that data?
Old 09-26-17, 08:01 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Where did you get that data?
Apparently completely made up. Like so much "data" in these threads.

-mr. bill
Old 09-26-17, 08:23 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
NHTSB does have single vehicle accidents for bicycles and all other vehicles (which frequently are "mostly" driver error)
Just look it up
There are LOTS of sub categories-

You can always quibble about data quality
but TRENDS over time -more deaths spike in deaths-
are meaningful DESPITE quibbles about collection methods and difference jurisdictions to jurisdiction
as long as the data is collected in the same way over time-

The numbers probably mean just what they seem to mean-TEXTING causing more bike deaths-

Why in hell wouldn't TEXTING cause more bike deaths????
Old 09-26-17, 08:36 AM
GamblerGORD53

Apparently completely made up. Like so much "data" in these threads.

-mr. bill
How many times have 5 wal-mart bikers died at once?? ZERO ... Multiple deaths do happen with MAMILs.
I've looked at those annual maps that show ALL the accident sites of all 40,000+ deaths. Ages of victims and circumstances. There are lots of data breakdowns, nothing mysterious or FAKE at all.
Old 09-26-17, 09:00 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
How many times have 5 wal-mart bikers died at once?? ZERO ... Multiple deaths do happen with MAMILs.
I've looked at those annual maps that show ALL the accident sites of all 40,000+ deaths. Ages of victims and circumstances. There are lots of data breakdowns, nothing mysterious or FAKE at all.
I think we have a mix-up. 40,000 deaths?
Old 09-26-17, 09:06 AM
GamblerGORD53

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I think we have a mix-up. 40,000 deaths?
That is for cars, peds and cyclists.
Old 09-26-17, 09:18 AM
mr_bill

It's a mythical database containing clothing, frame material, years of riding a bicycle, and point of sale information.

-mr. bill
Old 09-26-17, 09:44 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
NHTSB does have single vehicle accidents for bicycles and all other vehicles (which frequently are "mostly" driver error)
Just look it up
There are LOTS of sub categories-

You can always quibble about data quality
but TRENDS over time -more deaths spike in deaths-
are meaningful DESPITE quibbles about collection methods and difference jurisdictions to jurisdiction
as long as the data is collected in the same way over time-

The numbers probably mean just what they seem to mean-TEXTING causing more bike deaths-

Why in hell wouldn't TEXTING cause more bike deaths????
Some say there is no proof that cell phones or texting causes more deaths than starbucks or putting on makeup or... That there is no significant change due to texting.
Old 09-26-17, 09:56 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
NHTSB does have single vehicle accidents for bicycles and all other vehicles....
They have data for DEATHS, including single vehicle accidents, on public highways.

They have *some* data for injuries on public highways, including single vehicle accidents, but the trigger for filing a report is either severe injury, or visible injury with trip to hospital/medical center, or visible injury with sufficient property damage (vehicle towed).

It's quite common for a single vehicle motor vehicle crash to have sufficient property damage.

It's uncommon for a single vehicle bicycle crash to have sufficient property damage. And unfortunately, until recently, a trip to the hospital/health center was often refused by people on bicycles since there was no policy to secure the bicycle for the trip to the hospital/medical center.

It's important to understand just how limited our knowledge is.

Originally Posted by GHSA/Statefarm A Right to the Road Understanding & Addressing Bicyclist Safety (2017)
The injury data for bicyclists is also telling. Looking just at 2015, 45,000 bicyclists were injured on U.S. roadways – 12,000 youth and 33,000 adults. The good news is this is down from 50,000 injuries in 2014. However, it is likely that the actual number is significantly higher, since research examining hospital records found that only a small percentage of bicycle crashes resulting in injury are reported to police (NHTSA, 2017a; Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center [PBIC], 2017a). Why? A reportable crash is often defined as occurring on a public roadway where an injury and/or fatality occurred or at least one of the vehicles had to be towed from the scene. Bicycles do not get towed or usually do not cause enough damage to a vehicle to necessitate a tow, and many cyclists do not report a crash if they are not seriously injured.
-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-26-17 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 09:58 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Daniel4
There are many solutions studied around the world but again political will gets in the way in favour of the bad driver.

Intentional traffic calming obstructions force motorists to drive carefully. But critics say they slow down traffic times too much.

In Ontario, legislation is being proposed to increase the fine for road fatalities to $50,000, max 2 years in jail and demerit points. Current fine is only $500. An election is coming up and I can see critics state that the proposal is another cash-grab. How much is a life worth?

I have stated many times in these discussion forums that in order to earn a drivers license one should be required to have 8 hours of in traffic bicycle experience. One survey indicated a lot of would-be cyclists don't because of motorists. That's people being afraid to cycle because of themselves.
Frankly I have long thought that driving and the ethics and history of driving (ie bikes) should be taught in public schools... at the lower grades, on bikes to show how to interface with traffic and get used to signs and marks, at the upper grades, more emphasis on the ethics and safety, with simulator time (graded), eventually leading to a license. So rather than merely 40 hours of training on a couple of weekends... it would be something like several semesters. Heck more time is spent these days teaching sex than driving.

When I went to high school in the very early '70s, drivers ed was a one semester class... now it's two weekends with no real time for it to sink in.

Our only real salvation is to remove humans from the equation...
Old 09-26-17, 10:53 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mr Bill
Sure it is limited
but the limitation- just counting "deaths from crashes"( not MI's or being shot)
is a good thing
because deaths are easy to count-
severity of injuries-much much harder to measure

Yeah counting just deaths is a strength-
and crash deaths increasing more than increased exposure means you have to hunt up a plausible reason
and CAR CRASH DEATHS INCREASING-at the same times cars are being made much much safer more crash worthy
Clearly means something has changed dramatically-
TEXTING-
Plain as day

Name One other possible cause-that is anywhere near as likely??(OK I will-smoking weed or smoking weed while texting)
But the TEXTING RATE has increased a lot more than the smoking weed while driving rate-
and INCREASING DEATHS has pretty much followed explosion in TEXTING
Dopers smoking weed-has been with us for many years

Last edited by phoebeisis; 09-26-17 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-26-17, 11:07 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
It's uncommon for a single vehicle bicycle crash to have sufficient property damage. And unfortunately, until recently, a trip to the hospital/health center was often refused by people on bicycles since there was no policy to secure the bicycle for the trip to the hospital/medical center.

It's important to understand just how limited our knowledge is.
l
Agree about the lack of quality of the knowledge (to include useful data and credible/competent/unbiased analysis of the data that is available). Quality data and its analysis may not offer the dramatic headlines or justification for hand-wringing sought by some perennial bicycling "victims".

I have to question the seriousness of the severity of injuries suffered by cyclists who refuse a trip to a hospital/health center due to placing a priority on security of their precious bicycle over their own health.

I suspect that including injuries with insignificant severity (such as skinned knees or bruises or injuries not important enough to treat due to a higher concern for bicycle security) or giving such insignificant injuries the same weight as truly severe injuries (i.e. overnight hospitalization, long term treatment, disabling, etc.) when analyzing bicycling risk is done either because of ignorance of the risk evaluation process or in a deliberate effort to inflate the alleged risk of bicycling for whatever purpose (drama, headlines, raising money for a cause, etc.) serves the alleged risk analysts' interests.
Old 09-26-17, 11:50 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I have to question the seriousness of the severity of injuries suffered by cyclists who refuse a trip to a hospital/health center due to placing a priority on security of their precious bicycle over their own health.
I refused a trip to a hospital/health center due to all my "precious" stuff being in the totaled car.

Why would you assume rational behavior after a crash?

When my friend picked me up, they convinced me to go to the hospital. I agreed, but only if we moved all my stuff to their car, (actually, they moved all my stuff to their car). FWIW, I was *visible injured*/refused transport. My injuries were *not* insignificant, but neither were they "severe" on your biased-scale of overnight admittance, disabling, life altering, etc etc etc.

In any event, Fort Collins found the refuse rate dropped when they added bike racks to ambulances. Your disbelief not withstanding.

ps. You might want to ask first responders if people who refuse transport have insignificant boo-boos.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-26-17 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-26-17, 01:05 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by ILTB
I was blacked out after a bike crash decades ago and transported to the hospital... my first thought upon awakening was "where is my bike... and what happened to my glasses..."

You don't always have your best wits about when you are in shock.
Old 09-26-17, 03:00 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some say there is no proof that cell phones or texting causes more deaths than starbucks or putting on makeup or... That there is no significant change due to texting.

Genec-
Yeah swilling hot coffee-having to grab the cup-guide it to your mouth moving car
and putting on make up
Sure both are plenty distracting

But people have been eating drinking putting on make up while driving for the last 60 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.