Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

UK cyclist convicted in fatal accident

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

UK cyclist convicted in fatal accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 02:39 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
Folks - if we're getting into the randomly stupid territory of jumping from simple 'newspapers editing' as per their usual practice, then it is clear that normal argument is no longer possible.

Good bye, we're done.
Editing it in the context you've previously made would be if they took what was said and changed it to mean something different than what was written.

You made a claim that his social media posts were edited (read: altered) to make him look bad. Please provide evidence of this claim by linking to his original wording and then to the changed wording in the article. I'm happy to be proven wrong. No rush, I'll wait..

Anywho, this horse has been thoroughly beaten so back on track now.

Last edited by raqball; 09-28-17 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-28-17, 02:52 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
So this whole argument is more or less pointless.
Most certainly pointless. This is A&S. We are just a bunch of middle aged (or older) bored dudes who should be out riding our bikes or giving our bosses an honest days work instead of tapping keys.

MY point, which is obviously pointless in this instance, is this:

A cyclist is riding along in a manner that is expected on a roadway - where he belongs - and has every right to travel with the direction of motor vehicle traffic at a speed up to or equal to the speed limit. He should be aware of the fact that other people might not follow the rules. He needs to keep a sharp eye out (and be in control of his vehicle according to the situation) for those rogue road users.

A woman is walking along, crossing mid-block, playing Frogger in traffic while doing something unexpected but certainly within the scope of what mindless pedestrians do all the time. She crosses the path of a vehicle doing the unexpected without giving said vehicle enough time to react to the unexpected - other than to "blow the horn" before clobbering her.

"An estimated 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012, costing more than $4 billion in vehicle damage, according to State Farm, the nation’s leading auto insurer." - SOURCE

I only quote this deer collision number to illustrate the fact that an animal can jump out in front of a moving vehicle with perfectly good brakes in a manner that makes it impossible or extremely unlikely for the operator of the vehicle to avoid collision. Well over ONE MILLION TIMES A YEAR even though, in some areas, deer are numerous and somewhat expected to jump out of the shadows right in front of a moving car. So, should the drivers of these cars proceed at 10 mph with one foot on the brake in deer rich areas? Is it the motorist's fault if a deer suddenly appears right on their grill?

The car is doing the expected, the deer the unexpected (but is a well known hazard). The deer is stupid and the motorist is caught off guard and/or just unable to do anything in time. The deer jumps in front of the car, the car does not go in the woods trying to hit a deer (well...maybe in West Virginia).

Old 09-28-17, 02:58 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
in some areas, deer are numerous and somewhat expected to jump out of the shadows right in front of a moving car. So, should the drivers of these cars proceed at 10 mph with one foot on the brake in deer rich areas? Is it the motorist's fault if a deer suddenly appears right on their grill?
As long as we're just killing time here ... yeah if you see a deer hanging out on the shoulder and you want to ensure that you don't hit it, you slow down to 10 or 15 until getting by. If you don't, yes it is the motorist's fault.

That's how I was taught those many years ago, and I'll still keep slowing down until I see what it's going to do.
Old 09-28-17, 03:19 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Slight aside-deer collisions
W V is the state with the highest rate 1/41 chance per year
W V is also a state with a very high opioid abuse problem
Lotta mountain roads-poor sight lines-lotta deer also I guess

Not sure how in the world deer collisions came up-
the OP was about a CITY accident-on a city street-with Just humans
The rider of the bike-if he was alert-and interested in braking and HAD brakes (he seemed mostly interested in retaining speed hence the no wheel brakes-he could still leg brake)
the impact speed would have been very low-
He swerved-because he didn't have brakes-HIS FAULT

No brakes-you should ride slowly-10 mph or less.
Old 09-28-17, 03:36 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Not sure how in the world deer collisions came up...
Deer jumps into roadway and gets hit by vehicle. Vehicle does not venture into woods to hit a deer.

Pedestrian jumps into roadway and gets hit by vehicle. Vehicle (fixie) does not venture onto the sidewalk or crosswalk to hit the pedestrian.

Sorry that parallel was unclear.

Had the cyclist killed a pedestrian on the sidewalk, that would be unforgivable to me. Sidewalks are pedestrian domain. But the pedestrian wandered into vehicular domain without due caution. Big difference, even though London has no J-Walking laws (so I heard).

Yes, yes...some here argue that streets are for foot traffic traditionally. Same argument for "vehicular cycling". Theory and practice are worlds apart. Ask the deceased woman in the OP.
Old 09-28-17, 04:11 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Deer jumps into roadway and gets hit by vehicle. Vehicle does not venture into woods to hit a deer.

Pedestrian jumps into roadway and gets hit by vehicle. Vehicle (fixie) does not venture onto the sidewalk or crosswalk to hit the pedestrian.

Sorry that parallel was unclear.

Had the cyclist killed a pedestrian on the sidewalk, that would be unforgivable to me. Sidewalks are pedestrian domain. But the pedestrian wandered into vehicular domain without due caution. Big difference, even though London has no J-Walking laws (so I heard).

Yes, yes...some here argue that streets are for foot traffic traditionally. Same argument for "vehicular cycling". Theory and practice are worlds apart. Ask the deceased woman in the OP.
You'll get a better response if you ask the guy sitting in jail if the street is purely the vehicular domain. Sorry, but you left yourself wide open for that one
Old 09-28-17, 05:01 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by wphamilton
You'll get a better response if you ask the guy sitting in jail if the street is purely the vehicular domain. Sorry, but you left yourself wide open for that one
Good one.
Old 09-28-17, 05:17 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Joeybike-Yeah whamilton got you dead on that one.

And if you hit and kill a pedestrian- IN PART because you willfully REMOVED the brakes from your car
or built a car with no brakes-JAIL
18 MPH- no brakes-no excuse for no brakes-and this 18 yo got hammered-in part-because he posted LOTS of videos of himself riding carelessly-DUH

Besides safe bet many of those 1.5 million deer crashes could have been avoided if the humans had been paying attention-keeping their speed down-and not using opiates weed booze cell phones etc
The 1.5 million deer crashes is more a comment on how stupid humans are-than how stupid the deer are.
Old 09-29-17, 05:34 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
The 1.5 million deer crashes is more a comment on how stupid humans are-than how stupid the deer are.
Exactly. Therefore, when you cross a busy road on foot, don't be a deer or a stupid human. Pay attention. There is a BIG LESSON here besides "don't remove your front brake from your fixie before you kill someone".
Old 09-30-17, 05:47 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes-the no brake and his posted videos-perhaps his post crash posted comments
Earned him jail time-
his posted comments-not sympathetic-safe bet he didn't have pricy legal talent (and image modifying talent)
so he got po folks justice.
I wonder how the Natchez Trace rammer is doing?? Some preliminary "hearing" is soon I think.
Amazing -FEDS-involved in a no injury to speak of "crash"- all because it was caught on tape and hit the internet.Not that he doesn't deserve it-but pre cameras pre internet he would have gotten free and clear-even if they had his license plate-and witnesses