Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Circa 1973 Colnago - what to do?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Circa 1973 Colnago - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-22, 08:10 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
Green derailleur pulleys!
Old 12-21-22, 08:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Those Phil hubs could be a good case for chrome spray paint. I've got some that doesn't look like chrome but would pass for anodized aluminum. On the hubs it would probably stay looking reasonably nice.

I really like Module E rims. Your replacement wheels sound great.

I'm not sure I've ever used a saddle I liked less than the Unicanitor. I hear some people like them.

Trying to gather 1973-or earlier Campy components would be a fun way to spend a lot of money. I mostly did that with my '73 DeRosa. I ended up buying an entire bike to get the right brakes.
Unicanitor is my most used saddle.
favorite is the Sella Italia Superleggera but those are fragile.
Old 12-21-22, 10:38 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
I've looked closely at the detail pics, and can't see any issue with the paint which isn't well within expectations for a well-cared-for, 50-year-old bike. Is the paint really, really bad on the other side or something?

A full-Monty shot is a must to accurately make the call for anything beyond a good cleaning. Sounds like the parts will also clean up well since they were 'preserved' by the grime. Good deal - and great score!

Also, saw earlier you had a pair of Module Es laced to Campy hubs possibly earmarked for this build. Here's my '73 Super wearing a pair in its final form before being sold:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-22-22, 06:24 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Module E was introduced in 1975. And was a terrible rim. A terrible rim based on a terrible idea. Colnago used Nisi rims when sold as a complete bike.

Early Phil hubs were terrible. Bearing shake from day one followed by rapid bearing failure. Bearing shake was noted in the original packaging box. No one knew how to replace bearings yet so wheels were unlaced, hubs mailed (by US Mail) to Phil, bearings replaced with new bearings that wouldn't work either, sent together with a "This time for sure!!" note from Phil. Lace the wheels back up and bearing failure repeated. The promo was relentless and had nothing to do with the product.

It is almost fifty years later and worst of era still has a loyal following. Sad that so many wonderful Colnagos were and continue to be burdened with this rubbish.

Anyone who actually rode the bikes rode Campy. Riding the bike never had any meaning to collectors.

We still have these bikes to play with because the large majority of them went to owners who did not ride. Go ahead and collect bikes for non-riders.

Goodbye.
Old 12-22-22, 10:42 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Module E was introduced in 1975. And was a terrible rim. A terrible rim based on a terrible idea. Colnago used Nisi rims when sold as a complete bike.

Early Phil hubs were terrible. Bearing shake from day one followed by rapid bearing failure. Bearing shake was noted in the original packaging box. No one knew how to replace bearings yet so wheels were unlaced, hubs mailed (by US Mail) to Phil, bearings replaced with new bearings that wouldn't work either, sent together with a "This time for sure!!" note from Phil. Lace the wheels back up and bearing failure repeated. The promo was relentless and had nothing to do with the product.

It is almost fifty years later and worst of era still has a loyal following. Sad that so many wonderful Colnagos were and continue to be burdened with this rubbish.

Anyone who actually rode the bikes rode Campy. Riding the bike never had any meaning to collectors.

We still have these bikes to play with because the large majority of them went to owners who did not ride. Go ahead and collect bikes for non-riders.

Goodbye.
I would dispute this point. We still have so many quality vintage bikes because there were tens of thousands produced, rarely got thrown out or disposed and technology progressed rapidly, making these bikes obsolete, any passionate cyclist moved on. Modern alloys, Carbon fibre, Indexed shifting, Brifters, Dual pivot brakes, 700C clinchers, and increasing gear counts with much greater range all came in quick succession resulting in these old bikes collecting dust in the back of the garage. Although a perfectly restored bike like the above is a nice wall hanger who is interested in riding a 5-speed straight block, toe clip bike anywhere other than around the block.
Old 12-22-22, 10:47 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Module E was introduced in 1975. And was a terrible rim. A terrible rim based on a terrible idea. Colnago used Nisi rims when sold as a complete bike....

Goodbye.
Sorry, no goodbyes are allowed until you explain to everyone else why the Module E was a terrible rim, and what terrible idea it was based on. Not everyone here is a savant. Out with it.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-22-22, 01:17 PM
Mike_Kelly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
If it is a 73 then it is a "holy grail" year. Don't cold set anything. It would be a shame to make it a Frankenbike. Clean it, ride it.

My 73

Likes For Mike_Kelly:
Old 12-22-22, 01:50 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Whatever you do, take and post lots of pics. I love love love that green paint. Here's my '73, since we're sharing.

Old 12-22-22, 02:35 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts

Module E was introduced in 1975. And was a terrible rim. A terrible rim based on a terrible idea...

Lots of words, zero context.

Unlike you, I can't speak for others - but I ride my bikes, hard, and the Es gave me no issues whatsoever. I'll take real world experience over vague, unsupported complaints every time.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-22-22, 02:39 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
I’m glad you got a good deal on it. I told him if he took an hour and cleaned/lubed it, his price would be better suited.

having looked it over, I think it’s in great shape for its age.

take a garage door pic of her once she is cleaned up please.

robert
also in portland.

Originally Posted by VRJAKE
Made a local deal here in Portland. Nice man on the cusp of a big move, needing to pass along a lot of things, including multiple bikes - Bianchi, Campy equipped Univega, multiple Mondia's. Wish him well.
Old 12-22-22, 04:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Kelly
If it is a 73 then it is a "holy grail" year. Don't cold set anything. It would be a shame to make it a Frankenbike. Clean it, ride it.

My 73

Paging @tmnguuyen

73, "holy grail", yada, yada.
Old 12-22-22, 04:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Lots of words, zero context.

Unlike you, I can't speak for others - but I ride my bikes, hard, and the Es gave me no issues whatsoever. I'll take real world experience over vague, unsupported complaints every time.
I pledge to hound 63rickert until he gives us a reason

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-22-22, 07:48 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I pledge to hound 63rickert until he gives us a reason

-Kurt
Here's one - they aren't GP4s.

Old 12-22-22, 07:53 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Module E was introduced in 1975. And was a terrible rim. A terrible rim based on a terrible idea.
I'm not a big fan of clinchers, but I haven't heard anything particularly bad about Mavic Module Es in 36h flavor. The eyelets look pretty good. Seems like they would tension up okay. What was the terrible idea?

I'm genuinely curious, even though I normally glue mine on.
Likes For kunsunoke:
Old 12-22-22, 08:19 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I don't need to wait for an explanation from 63Rickert.

I just asked my luthier.

Right after he showed me how to use a bench vise.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-22-22, 09:01 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by BFisher
Right after he showed me how to use a bench vise.
And a hammer.

Old 12-23-22, 12:26 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
VRJAKE,
Remember it's survived 50 years and I suspect that it will look much, much better after it is all cleaned up and you are able to see through all of the dirt and grime......when some of the gleam shows through this will often give one a much better perspective.
My advice for what it is worth is the following, clean, polish, lube, replace what needs replacing, and most importantly, Smile while riding.
Best, Ben
BTW, All good advice above.

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-23-22, 01:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Cold set to 135
Shimano Acera 9 speed "Gruppo"
650 a Wheels with Tannus Solid tires
Store in basement and post lots of conversion pics on the internet
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
You cant cold set to 135. The stay bridges will probably break before it takes a cold set. The Colnago tapered stays and construction defy this. It will go right back to 126.

I have pics of pushing to 165 and chickening out, but I can't find them.

I usually just find an Ultra 6 and run with it.
Technical clarification: just to note there would be no need to do 135, 130 would cover modern gear. . If the OP want's to go that way

Old 12-23-22, 02:27 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Technical clarification: just to note there would be no need to do 135, 130 would cover modern gear. . If the OP want's to go that way
I guess if you have to explain a failed attempt at humor, it wasn't that funny to begin with!
Likes For fender1:
Old 12-23-22, 04:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Clean, scrub, polish, preserve and RIDE BABY RIDE!

Then see how it goes and if you cannot refrain from going down the garden path, yellow brick road, etc.

I have a very similar not Colnago but Colnago level to me that is a bit rougher, it will be a full on elbow grease, spit and polish to see how well it goes.
Old 12-23-22, 04:58 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
VRJAKE,
Remember it's survived 50 years and I suspect that it will look much, much better after it is all cleaned up and you are able to see through all of the dirt and grime......when some of the gleam shows through this will often give one a much better perspective.
My advice for what it is worth is the following, clean, polish, lube, replace what needs replacing, and most importantly, Smile while riding.
Best, Ben
BTW, All good advice above.

I would posit that the act and effort of cleaning and polishing adds significantly to the result, the better it goes the better it turns out for the effort, win, win.
Old 12-24-22, 03:27 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
must be thinking of the Volagi 135 rear disc brake wheel.... now sliding into torch work.

Volagi, there is a brand that vanished.
unfortunately one of the founders got quite hurt- very unsure of recovery
Old 12-24-22, 03:53 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I guess if you have to explain a failed attempt at humor, it wasn't that funny to begin with!
or if you guilty of being too literal (me)

Old 12-24-22, 10:22 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Repack the BB and headset
I would return to toe clips and straps.
polish the paint- I have two from this era- the paint behaves differently - I equate it to MBZ auto paint- softer clear than others-
the paint has scratches and chips, but I have seen worse.
I bought one with Phil hubs- go Record Campagnolo, low or high flange.
trade out those brakes for Campagnolo regular reach Record calipers. Wonder who that curious mechanic was that assembled the front caliper adjuster wrong... GS brakes?!? Go Record.
rebuild the shifters, R&R the seatpost.

they are fun bikes to use.

"My name is Ernesto, I am Colnago"
That's a common trick so you don't lose the adjuster when the cable is out. I think whoever set it up didn't know what they were doing (the cable wire is a definite clue) and didn't realize the adjuster doesn't work that way. There is no functional difference between the Grand Sport and Record calipers, so I would be inclined to leave them on and swap the levers for Campy Grand Sport or Record. The bike cries out for a 3TTT Record stem and matching bars of a preferred bend, unless that is already a Cinelli stem. If so, get a suitable set of Cinelli bars. I would definitely leave the paint as is, after spending some time with light polishing compound and paste wax. Go through everything else thoroughly and, as Repechage suggested, build up a different set of wheels with Record hubs and rims of your choice. For me, that would be non-anodized sewup rims, but then I'm not normal.
Old 12-24-22, 10:43 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I would dispute this point. We still have so many quality vintage bikes because there were tens of thousands produced, rarely got thrown out or disposed and technology progressed rapidly, making these bikes obsolete, any passionate cyclist moved on. Modern alloys, Carbon fibre, Indexed shifting, Brifters, Dual pivot brakes, 700C clinchers, and increasing gear counts with much greater range all came in quick succession resulting in these old bikes collecting dust in the back of the garage. Although a perfectly restored bike like the above is a nice wall hanger who is interested in riding a 5-speed straight block, toe clip bike anywhere other than around the block.
And I would dispute your point. Lack of drivetrain wear indicates that many of these bikes did not become survivors because of obsolescence: they became survivors because they didn't get ridden. There were a lot of people who bought their way into the sport by splurging on a really nice bike, only to realize that riding is hard work and you have to invest in a lot of pain before it becomes fun. Technology hasn't changed that and it's still happening today. I have seen so many advertisements for vintage and modern bikes being sold by their original owners who claim that they loved riding it because it was so fantastic, but looking close you can see that they probably put no more than a couple hundred miles on the thing. I recall people showing up at a race with their shiny new superbike, only to be humiliated by some kid on a Crescent, and then pretty soon you wouldn't see him anymore. I can't even begin to count the number of customers I sold bikes to who were "passionate" as hell, yet two or three years later had moved on to some other sport.

Yes, modern bikes shift and stop better, but these classics were fantastic bikes when they were brand new and they never stopped being fantastic just because something better came along. Some of us never lost our passion, but will still prefer to pull a vintage bike out of the stable for a long ride on a nice day, just maybe not with a straight block.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.