Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ride a bike, see stuff

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ride a bike, see stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 02:28 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@M1T, outstanding shot! Wow! Seeing wildlife on rides is a big reason why I like to ride.

By the way, did you know that Carbondale, CO is named for Carbondale, PA, which is a mere 32 miles north of me?
Old 01-16-23, 10:58 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by M1T
Angry "midget rattlesnake" (don't cancel me, thats what they're called) near Natural Bridges Monument in SE Utah during a bike packing trip. I came about an inch from running over the little guy, heard that distinct sound, and quickly stopped. This went on until I had to move on 5 minutes later... check out the shadow cast by its head. They are rarely seen in the wild.

Heh, I just saw a good sized rattler, a bit before all this rain started in Northern California. Riding at night, which I seldom do, I nearly ran over mine too.

I was just wondering recently, if all this flooding might not kill off a big percentage of them. 🤔
Old 01-17-23, 11:40 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts
Yesterday was such a crap day for riding (freezing temps, sleet) but my kids felt it was important to go see the new MLK monument on Boston Common

There has been some backlash on its, um, 'back end' (not my photo). Once your dirty little mind sees it, cannot be unseen.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 01-17-23, 01:02 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
My dirty little mind didn't notice, until I read your comment.
Old 01-17-23, 03:08 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Yesterday was such a crap day for riding (freezing temps, sleet) but my kids felt it was important to go see the new MLK monument on Boston Common

There has been some backlash on its, um, 'back end' (not my photo). Once your dirty little mind sees it, cannot be unseen.
The quote about the embrace does help put the sculpture in the proper context... I appreciate the photo!

otoh, I'm not sure I needed the other comment [where's the "cover my eyes" emoji??].

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-21-23, 03:55 PM
steelbikeguy

I was out enjoying a warm-ish day.. 32F, and taking a less-traveled road.
I was approaching a graveyard that I've passed many times, but thought this was a perfect day to just stop and look around. This is a small graveyard... perhaps 100 or 200 graves? It is a couple of miles outside a small town, and no obvious association with any church.

After leaning the bike up against the chain link fence surrounding the graveyard and walking in a short distance, I saw one grave marker that was distinctly different. It was clearly unlike any that I'd seen previously. I grabbed a few photos with my lousy phone...

For something dating back to the late 1800's (presumably), it's in good shape. I can't help but wonder how it was fabricated. Could it have been carved from stone?? That seems like a huge amount of work, and therefore expense. If not carved, then maybe it was made of concrete and cast in a form?? This seems a bit more practical, but would concrete last this long?
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Steve in Peoria
(but the photo was taken just a bit SW of Dunlap)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-21-23, 04:46 PM
BFisher

@steelbikeguy, that looks like maybe limestone. Apparently those tree trunk stones were popular for a period of time, and most were limestone or marble, so I've read. If so, its condition is impressive for that material. Limestone would be the easier material to carve.

A family member was in the monument business his whole life. I used to work with him setting markers and headstones, and sandblasting names on. All granite.

If you want to see more impressive work, look up the great crosses over in Ireland, especially the one at Monasterboice. I saw it in person. Stunning, and extremely old.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-21-23, 04:50 PM
BFisher

A link to an interesting site about those stones: Treestones at BNC
Old 01-21-23, 06:20 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by BFisher
A link to an interesting site about those stones: Treestones at BNC
The mention of Sears Robuck made sense to me. Considering how they were the Amazon of their day, at least in the sense that they sold everything to everyone, it would be logical for them to have a source of tree trunk grave markers that only needed to have the details of the deceased carved into them. There was mention that local masons could carve them too (not related to purchasing from Sears), but how many local masons were capable of that sort of sculpture?

I do like the tree trunk style! It's certainly a way to display status, but without the implicit message of being superior which some modern elaborate graves imply. ...or am I reading too much into some?

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-21-23, 08:33 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts

That's funny, I was just talking to the kids about Sears/Wards being the Amazon of the day. It was nice to be able to order at the Oakland catalog department and be able to get your order in about 15 minutes.
Old 01-21-23, 09:09 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
^ Those look like Monarks. Check that kickstand on the right.
Old 01-21-23, 09:26 PM
Bruce27

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 66 Posts
Likes For Bruce27:
Old 01-21-23, 09:42 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
cold beers.

Old 01-21-23, 09:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

nothing like a grade school next to a boneyard. I mean they even have cold beers

Old 01-21-23, 09:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-22-23, 06:59 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I was out enjoying a warm-ish day.. 32F, and taking a less-traveled road.
I was approaching a graveyard that I've passed many times, but thought this was a perfect day to just stop and look around. This is a small graveyard... perhaps 100 or 200 graves? It is a couple of miles outside a small town, and no obvious association with any church.

After leaning the bike up against the chain link fence surrounding the graveyard and walking in a short distance, I saw one grave marker that was distinctly different. It was clearly unlike any that I'd seen previously. I grabbed a few photos with my lousy phone...

For something dating back to the late 1800's (presumably), it's in good shape. I can't help but wonder how it was fabricated. Could it have been carved from stone?? That seems like a huge amount of work, and therefore expense. If not carved, then maybe it was made of concrete and cast in a form?? This seems a bit more practical, but would concrete last this long?
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Steve in Peoria
(but the photo was taken just a bit SW of Dunlap)
Amazing the amount of detail... the leaves for example, the bark, etc. Must have taken many hours to complete. I thought I was the only person on the planet that was fascinated by reading headstones. Thanks for sharing that one!
Old 01-22-23, 07:23 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by curbtender

That's funny, I was just talking to the kids about Sears/Wards being the Amazon of the day. It was nice to be able to order at the Oakland catalog department and be able to get your order in about 15 minutes.
that looks familiar... not the bike, but the Douglas DC-2 in TWA markings.
I saw this at the EAA event at Oshkosh, WI in 2010...

Gotta love the classic lines!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-22-23, 07:42 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by M1T
Amazing the amount of detail... the leaves for example, the bark, etc. Must have taken many hours to complete. I thought I was the only person on the planet that was fascinated by reading headstones. Thanks for sharing that one!
BFisher's links mention the details, such as the ferns at the bottom. I can't imagine how much work it would take to create this, or how uncommon it must be to have local masons or sculptors capable of creating this sort of work.

I'm not really a headstone person, but I have stopped at some of the local graveyards when I'm going by. We even have a semi-celebrity in the local Springdale Cemetery... Octave Chanute! He was a civil engineer, but he was also an early experimenter and pioneer in flight. A replica of his glider is displayed at the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH, and had an Air Force base named after him. He was an advisor to the Wright brothers (to bring this back around to bikes).
The USAF museum not only has a replica of Chanute's glider on display, they also have one of the bikes that the Wright fellows sold...

surprisingly(?), Chanute's grave marker is quite modest....

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-23-23, 06:00 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
That Wright Bros. bicycle appears to be an early Rivendell...

cheers -mathias
Old 01-23-23, 06:27 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by steine13
That Wright Bros. bicycle appears to be an early Rivendell...

cheers -mathias
Those are Rivendell-ian chain stays... but their bikes were Van Cleve. No idea of whether they ever used other branding. Nice headbadge, though!

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-23-23, 10:01 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Chanute's grave marker is quite modest....

I like tossing this one in periodically, seen in Rosehill Cemetery in Chicago.

Schwinn approved, of course.

There are several other family members planted nearby.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-23-23, 12:07 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by thumpism
I like tossing this one in periodically, seen in Rosehill Cemetery in Chicago.

Schwinn approved, of course.

There are several other family members planted nearby.
For such an icon of Chicago industry, it's a shame that there's no hint of his influence on the world.

...now I'm starting to wonder what the graves of Mr. Sears and Mr. Roebuck look like??

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-23-23, 12:13 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
For such an icon of Chicago industry, it's a shame that there's no hint of his influence on the world.

...now I'm starting to wonder what the graves of Mr. Sears and Mr. Roebuck look like??

Steve in Peoria
They could have made a stone headbadge...and maybe used Schwinn date code?
Old 01-23-23, 01:07 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by curbtender
They could have made a stone headbadge...and maybe used Schwinn date code?
The individuals' stones are small like that of Ignaz, but the family's section marker is more impressive than the rest, is taller than I am, and probably weighs more than a Varsity.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-24-23, 03:20 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Today coming back from the grocery store. Found this little guy in the road. No life left but not run over.

not a lobster but a crayfish.

Likes For 3speedslow:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.