Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to Beautify an Uglified Component (Crabon Fibber Edition)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How to Beautify an Uglified Component (Crabon Fibber Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 12:29 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO

I dare not show that fancy seat to the Huffy...it will be too jealous! And right now the seat is the least of our many concerns.

But back to the seat - seriously impressive work. I have a firmly cemented admiration of quality work that will almost never be seen, as it is virtually always an indicator as to the quality of the work that can be seen.

Really curious to see this decal that gave you grief - I'm sure it came out stellar. I've done some model kit stuff with the kids (as I used to do it when I was a kid), but I have to take off my 'perfectionist hat' in order to do it, otherwise it will never get finished. Can't wait to see the rest!!!!
Sorry I'm late, Dave - I missed this one when I made the photo dump early in the A.M...

I think differently than you about the saddle. I mean to say: don't you think the Huffy would complain you wouldn't think she was worth the expense? I do. Bikes are sorta like people; those in depressed economic situations would generally like to climb the economic ladder, even if there might not be the opportunities to do so. Mlle.Le Grande's brake squeal is likely a plea for upgrades from stem to stern.

The PITA decals are the lettering along both skirts - they were supposed apply as a single decal, but in this case, they became separate letters - and I mean all of them! That's right, I had to line up all twelve letters one at a time, within 1mm of each other - and without disturbing those already in place. I used every swear-word I knew during this process - and some I didn't!

Thanks for the rave review! In the end, I had a lot of fun with this serious tribute project, and got to exercise some hand/eye coordination which had laid dormant for some time. Good to know I've still got 'it', you know?

DD
Old 03-06-23, 12:44 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I neglected to mention addressing the modification required to the nose area of the shell; I'll rectify that now.

First, a visual aid:

From the tip of the nose to approximately 1" behind the forward rail anchor (right about where the red-painted underside disappears behind the seat rail) was 1/8" lower. I noted it almost immediately after receiving the saddle, and was concerned that the shell was warped. Not so. When I set it down on a flat surface, however, the back and rails laid flat; no problem. But the non-drive side of the aforementioned affected area touched the flat surface - while the drive side hung in the air 1/8". Therefore, the fix would be to match the elegant curvature of the same portion of the shell on the drive side by shaving down the CF by the required dimension.

I went shopping for a Dremel accessory kit yesterday; I needed it for a project, thus the outlay was already planned. I chucked a medium-grit sanding cuff in the Dremel, then slowly-slowly shaved the non-drive nose area down a couple millimeters at a time until I'd gotten the saddle to lay flat on its rails without either side of the nose touching down; the profile you see in the above photograph is straight-up courtesy of DD. When compared against the red in the background of the same photo, you can see it matches that flowing Flite curve almost exactly - and it was much easier than placing the skirt decals.

Yes, I am damned proud of that work, thank you very much

That pretty much covers everything now. Aren't you glad you asked?

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-06-23 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Added a pitcher...
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-06-23, 01:21 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by merziac
@Drillium Dude

WOW!, just efn WOW!

This is fantastic, so cool.

I often go down this road in my mind with really severe detail like this, quickly realizing I can't get there, no paint skill at all, I built models as a kid and was ok at paint, good with detail and great overall but never followed through with paint so got horrible at it as time went on.

Screwed up so many projects now that I don't even try, mad respect for those like you.

Encourage you to read "Faster" and "They call me Mister 500" if you haven't.

And while not a practicing fan of F1, I have always been a JPS and Jackie Stewart fan.

Yamaha East sold Nortons and had JPS's that were so cool looking despite being typical problem plagued Nortons.

They were across the street from Gateway Schwinn and next door to Honda Norwest so you could go see JPS's, Elisinore's, Bultaco's and chrome Paramount's circa 73-74 to your hearts content.

I spent a lot of time up there.
Aw, thanks

The paint on this was fairly straightforward, with two base coats and two top coats - plus, the paint went onto the 'unfinished' side of the carbon weave, so it didn't need to be perfect no way, no how. The decals, on the other hand...

Oh, I've read both books bitd; heck, I read every book on racing (excepting NASCAR) I could lay my hands on. Acquired most of them over the years, too; some people hoard bikes in great numbers - I hoard books!

Glad you enjoyed my little diversion!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-06-23, 01:26 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Lattz

Whaaaaaaaaat? There are no words for this.... this is really awesome, congrats Drillium Dude elegant and striking just like the cars themselves.
Oh, I dunno - 'awesome' is a word, and a quite apropos word at that, if I say so myself (which I just did)

All joking aside, thank you for the positive commentary. I anticipated some kickback/flames from some for it being (1) not really 'vintage', and (2) being a little over-the-top. So far, the response has been resoundingly positive, and for that I'm grateful. It really was a labor of love to restore, photograph, write up, and present.

Plus, it might serve as a short tutorial, should a member want to get similarly creative. Win/win!

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-06-23 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Up too late = making speeling errors...
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-06-23, 07:25 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Well done, Jeff, and very cool compared to my 'Gatorcet. A great tribute to your F1 interests.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 03-06-23, 08:34 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I anticipated some kickback/flames from some for it being ... (2) being a little over-the-top.
I think you are in quite good (er, dubious) company on that front 'round these parts right now.

Make no apologies for that piece of art!
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 03-06-23, 09:52 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
From one Tifosi to another - outstanding work and a great tribute. I latched onto F1 in the mid 80’s and even though Mclaren was stomping everyone I became a Ferrari guy and will be forever. It can be quite an emotional roller coaster. (Yesterday for example but nice job Alonso!)

If I had patience, skill, etc. maybe I could work on a Nuvolari/Alfa Romeo tribute piece.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 03-06-23, 01:59 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by RustyJames

From one Tifosi to another - outstanding work and a great tribute. I latched onto F1 in the mid 80’s and even though Mclaren was stomping everyone I became a Ferrari guy and will be forever. It can be quite an emotional roller coaster. (Yesterday for example but nice job Alonso!)
Thank you, fellow Tifosi!

Yes, Bahrain was heartbreaking, with the Scuderia suffering an engine failure out of the box - but then again, RB began last year at the same location with a double DNF, and we know how the season ended up playing out. So there's hope...

But Alonso's podium took some of the sting away; kudos to the most vintage driver on the grid

DD
Old 03-06-23, 02:37 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
It's officially tomorrow

In February of 1977, I became aware of Formula One. This fortuitous discovery was made via Reader's Digest and the story of Niki Lauda, recounted in RD's monthly 'Drama in Real Life'. This was the story of how Niki crashed and burned at the 1976 German Grand Prix on the Nurburgring. He went into hospital as a result, and at one point his prognosis was so grim, he was read the Last Rites by a Catholic priest. However, the same determination that saw him walk the 1975 F1 World Championship was put to good use, returning to the wheel of his Ferrari at the Italian Grand Prix in Monza just six weeks later. He lost his Championship crown by a solitary point after he abandoned the sodden Japanese Grand Prix at Fuji, considering the sodden conditions too dangerous for the F1 cars - not to mention tires - of the time. The following year, he won three races - including the German Grand Prix - on his way to regaining the World Championship for the second time in three years.

This was my introduction to both F1 and the Ferrari Grand Prix team. I began reading anything related to both F1 and Ferrari, and soon enough found that Road & Track magazine had a monthly feature on the Grands Prix; my first season following F1 was 1978, and by then, Niki had departed Ferrari. His replacement? A Canadian named Gilles Villeneuve.

While Niki was analytical and scientific in his approach to racing, Gilles was anything but. He would take the car by the scruff of its neck and wring every bit of performance he could out of it - every single time. He didn't drive with an eye on the Championship, per se, but to win - every single time. He did so on just six occasions, but that was of no importance to me - I simply loved watching this man ply his trade with abandon; I loved to watch him race. He hung it out there every time he was out on the track, and for this passionate approach to F1 he was hands-down the crowd favorite of his era. If he was still running, you had the feeling anything could happen - and frequently did. Winning his first F1 race on home ground in Montreal at the 1978 season-ending Canadian Grand Prix began the fairytale of just four years in the top rank. In 1979 he finished second to his Ferrari team-mate Jody Scheckter by a mere 4 points, scoring three three popular victories along the way. 1980 was a barren season for Ferrari and Gilles, while 1981 - with Ferrari's new turbocharged car - yielded two more victories, in Monaco and Spain, before turning up for the 1982 season in a Ferrari which had a superb chassis to match its considerable power. Tragically, only 4 races into this season, he was killed during practice for the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder. I'll never forget the moment I heard the terrible news, delivered by Brent Musburger in the late afternoon of 8 May, and my visceral reaction: I completely broke down, and was absolutely inconsolable for months. Whenever I read an article or saw a photo of his exploits, tears were never far away. Two years it took to assimilate this loss; Formula One was never again the same for me.

However, inspired first by the successes, trials, and tribulations of Niki Lauda, and subsequently Gilles Villeneuve's amazing, albeit short racing career, I became - and remain to this day - a true, dedicated Tifosi. Win or lose; feast or famine; the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows, my support of Ferrari has endured. Today, at the season-opener in Bahrain, I'll be hoping they add yet another victory to their unbeaten record of (currently) 242 Grand Prix wins. Forza Scuderia Ferrari!

And Gilles? He's gone, but not forgotten. The passion for F1 and Ferrari remains, but no driver since has resonated with me the way Gilles did - and there never will be.

This is my tribute to the great man (and his team) which so inspired me in my youth:

Gilles: thanks for the memories!

Ferrari: continua buona fortuna!

DD
have to check out the F1 series on Netflix if you have not Formula1 : drive to Survive

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-06-23, 02:55 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
in all this excitement, did I miss this detail?
What is the clearcoat you used for the top? (we know exactly what was used for the bottom red colorcoat)
And how as the clear applied?
Any particular curing methods required?
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 03-06-23, 04:24 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by unworthy1

In all this excitement, did I miss this detail? What is the clearcoat you used for the top? (we know exactly what was used for the bottom red colorcoat).

And how as the clear applied?

Any particular curing methods required?
Oops; you didn't miss anything - I neglected to share that info! However, having been shown the error of my ways, I'll address that faux pas directly:

(1) This is the clearcoat I've been using:

(2) I fashioned a holder out of a broken plastic coat hanger, and used blue masking tape to affix it to the rails. This approach gives me a decent handle, a good distance away from the item being sprayed, and it allows for turning the saddle every which way, ensuring I don't miss any spots. I spray the rear first, then work my way over the rest shooting from the skirts upwards, meeting in the center, and finishing with the nose. Here's what the set-up looks like:

(3) While this stuff is dry to the touch after 1.5 to 2 hours, I let each coat stand for 24 hours. At the end of each curing period, I lightly sand with either a very fine sanding film or some brass wool (!), to ensure a clean and adhesion-friendly surface for each subsequent coat.

The coat hanger also has an unintended but appreciated second feature: it allows for drying upside-down, thus avoiding (to a certain extent) the possibility of contaminants in the air affixing themselves to the clear as it dries. I place the end of the hanger under a stack of books, and the saddle dries/cures in mid-air. Works great

One last note: this clear-coat isn't as robust or long-wearing as the original gel-coat - one reason I lay down at least three finish coats. I noticed on the first Flite I refinished (before it had to be retired) that the clear-coat began to dull and buff off in small patches from friction betwixt saddle and Lycra - and I'm positive sweat and its corrosive properties has a hand in this wear, too.

*** Ha - I just noticed I got semi-gloss clear this time around; no wonder the finish isn't as shiny as the other one! I'll rectify that, pronto ***

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-06-23, 04:30 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Oh, I dunno - 'awesome' is a word, and a quite apropos word at that, if I say so myself (which I just did)

All joking aside, thank you for the positive commentary. I anticipated some kickback/flames from some for it being (1) not really 'vintage', and (2) being a little over-the-top. So far, the response has been resoundingly positive, and for that I'm grateful. It really was a labor of love to restore, photograph, write up, and present.

Plus, it might serve as a short tutorial, should a member want to get similarly creative. Win/win!

DD
Yeah, the not really vintage part is really shameful for our pages... how dare you? What is it 25 years young? Flite was (and the orig one is still) one of the all-time classic saddles, I see no problem here, neither the others as you see.
It's like no one would throw you out if it was a Cinetica Giotto or a Colnago C35 saying that carbon monocoque carbon has nothing to do here...
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-06-23, 06:36 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Dammit, Jeff, I told you not to post that obscene saddle pron here on the forum.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-06-23, 06:43 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts

Where he go?
Old 03-06-23, 06:52 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher

Where he go?
Either the HR/recruiting or the legal department of Ferrari kidnapped him
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-08-23, 08:03 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Jeff, you might want to keep an eye out for one of these Bertone saddles:
Old 03-08-23, 09:21 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
That’s quite a piece of kit. It looks like it has rocket boosters.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 03-14-23, 01:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Howdy there - long time no see, everyonebody!

Just finished laying down the 7th and final coat of clear; it'll be dry enough to remove the protective tape from the rails, and allow handling for some photos late this afternoon. With the exception of having to address a tiny flaw which landed on the shell during the 5th coat (it was a bit windy that day; pollen and other crap was wafting around my work area), all went smoothly. It looks freakin' beautiful - and yeah, I'm sayin' so myself

Tonight's the night!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-14-23, 05:25 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Yeah, the not really vintage part is really shameful for our pages... how dare you? What is it 25 years young? Flite was (and the orig one is still) one of the all-time classic saddles, I see no problem here, neither the others as you see. It's like no one would throw you out if it was a Cinetica Giotto or a Colnago C35 saying that carbon monocoque carbon has nothing to do here...
I'm in total agreement with your assessment of Flite saddles - they're the bomb! The look is killer, but the minimal skirts are the real benefit; I used to suffer a bit from inner-thigh chafing against deeper-skirted saddles. No such issues with this or the leather-covered Flites.

And, yes - a little carbon fiber never hurt nobody, amiright? And it looks absolutely fab in direct sunlight

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-15-23 at 01:34 AM. Reason: INNER-THING?! I meant to type 'inner-thigh'...sorted.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-14-23, 05:28 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by cudak888

Dammit, Jeff, I told you not to post that obscene saddle pron here on the forum.

-Kurt
Ha ha ha - well, I'm about to do it again in a couple posts, so I might not be around again for another week...

Alternately, this might cement my rep in a positive way - I mean, if a die-hard Campy Nuovo and Super Record fan can embrace the CF, anybody can!

Either way, I'm easy

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-14-23 at 05:35 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-14-23, 05:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by BFisher

Where he go?
AFK - and a little busy with a couple/three bike projects

Among other things...

But it's good to be back.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-14-23, 05:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Either the HR/recruiting or the legal department of Ferrari kidnapped him
Now you're talking dream job! But the reality is, I don't talk good English - so no way I'd be able to pick up something like conversational Italian, even with the assistance of Rosetta Stone

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-14-23, 05:35 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by rccardr

While that is quite an amazing saddle, it would be more at home on a Lamborghini, as Pininfarina was Ferrari's bodywork stylist, and Bertone penned Ferruccio's masterpieces.

Btw, never heard of that saddle - who was the manufacturer? And yes, I thought 'jet powered' as soon as I saw it, too!

DD
Old 03-14-23, 05:46 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Okay, enuf ******g around - here's the final result, in situ on the designated whip:

I hope you all enjoyed the ride - I know I did (well, excepting the skirt decal debacle, but let's forget that frustratin' interlude...)

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-14-23, 05:59 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
And yes, I thought 'jet powered' as soon as I saw it, too!
I thought that's where the saddle funneled involuntary gaseous waste for additional performance.

Okay, enuf ******g around - here's the final result, in situ on the designated whip:
There goes another keyboard.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.