Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 12:27 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Don't get me wrong, OP, I think this project is plenty cool.

You know, Dayton is the birthplace of aviation. Home of the Wright brothers. Home of Huffy.

And this bike will obviously take flight once it is appropriately Campagnoloed.

Propeller? Wings? Campy had wings...
Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-16-23, 01:32 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
The only reason I might be opposed to it is because people associate cheapo pipe clamps and Huffy already, so it minimizes shock value. Kinda the same philosophy behind the dork disc. People would see a dork disc on a huffy and think its appropriate. Appropriate is not high up on the build priority I'm also straddling a fine line between being uber retro proper, and trying to get the bike as light as humanly possible. Where those two circles come together is the sweet spot, like the O.M.A.S. ti BB. Now, if I could find some TITANIUM hose clamps, that idea would be way more enticing
I haven't read the thread beyond this, but what a great project. I urge you to stay true to what I think your original vision was: a Huffy frame built up excellently. It seems some suggestions have strayed from that to suggesting details that are more fitting to the frame than the envisioned build.

I'll read on with great interest
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-16-23, 02:02 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Just for comparison on F/F, my 1972 Bottecchia, Professional/Giro D'Italia, weights are 1850.7g for the frame (60cm), 499g for the fork w/crown race. Total2349.7 or 5.18 lbs. Frame was completely stripped
1972 Motobecane Le Champion | Flickr
P1030588 by superissimo_83, on Flickr
P1030591 by superissimo_83, on Flickr
Old 03-16-23, 02:04 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by bfisher
You know, Dayton is the birthplace of aviation.
I think you meant to write "North Carolina."
Old 03-16-23, 03:29 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@smd4, I know what I typed.

Please, stay on topic?
Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-16-23, 03:57 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

I haven't read the thread beyond this, but what a great project...
Do yourself a huge favor and start at Page One. Believe you me, it's worth the time and effort!

Seriously, there's good reason this thread has over 10,000 views (as of this writing)

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-16-23, 04:11 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by sbarner
It has been my experience that this is purely cosmetic cracking of the chrome plating when someone removes the shifters or cable guide without taking special precautions to avoid it, which is to say just about everyone who removes them. When these came from the factory, they were in the "open" position, so they only needed to be flexed around the tube to be mounted. If you are not extremely careful when either removing or even attaching them, the band will want to bend where it is easiest to do so, and that is at the narrowest point. When removing these, my 'trick' is to insert the largest pin punches that will fit into the bolt holes on both sides and then to carefully pull down while pivoting them out, doing as much as I can to distribute the bend over as much of the band as possible. If the bending is distributed around the band, instead of being concentrated in one place, I can usually avoid any cracking of the chrome. Of course, the eBay flipper who is parting out the '74 International that he just bought as a yard sale isn't going to do that, and then he's going to bend it back for the photo, so pretty much any used clamp that you find on eBay has these cracks.

Not to worry if they are there, as the steel in the band was selected for its malleability and can be flexed many times before it breaks. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing one snap. The failures I have seen, other than rust, are with the attachment of the lever stud to the band. Brush a little chrome paint into the cracks after mounting and no one will notice. They're going to be looking at the spacer you use to get the clamp to grip that 1" tube and are not going to notice a defect in the chrome. Sort of like seeing Phyllis Diller in pearls. The shock to the senses will distract from trivial defects.

Am I the only one who thought the young Phillys Diller was hot?
Old 03-16-23, 04:12 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Do yourself a huge favor and start at Page One. Believe you me, it's worth the time and effort!

Seriously, there's good reason this thread has over 10,000 views (as of this writing)

DD
Oh, yeah, I started at the beginning and just replied at that point before carrying on. I'm through it now and it will be religiously followed! I'm guessing 22-6 for the weight.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-16-23, 04:17 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I think you meant to write "North Carolina."
Originally Posted by BFisher
@smd4, I know what I typed.

Please, stay on topic?
wow so just looked this up and no idea it is a legit feud! We are all friends here

In any case maybe we can compromise and call Ohio the birthplace of ‘bicycle aviation’ ??

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 03-16-23, 04:32 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
The only reason I might be opposed to it . . . . Kinda the same philosophy behind the dork disc. People would see a dork disc on a huffy and think its appropriate.
FWIW: Campagnolo for a while actually made "dork discs". There are at least 6 for sale on eBay now - one of which is transparent plastic and might actually fit. Unfortunately, you have to look hard to see the Campagnolo panto on that one - but it's there.
Old 03-16-23, 05:17 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by BFisher
Don't get me wrong, OP, I think this project is plenty cool.

You know, Dayton is the birthplace of aviation. Home of the Wright brothers. Home of Huffy.

And this bike will obviously take flight once it is appropriately Campagnoloed.

Propeller? Wings? Campy had wings...

Old 03-16-23, 05:26 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Hondo6
FWIW: Campagnolo for a while actually made "dork discs". There are at least 6 for sale on eBay now - one of which is transparent plastic and might actually fit. Unfortunately, you have to look hard to see the Campagnolo panto on that one - but it's there.

We discussed the possibility of using one of these earlier in the thread but there were a couple points that made this less than ideal -

1. Extra weight on the bike
2. One of these plastic discs costs about 2x what the whole bike did

Now, I don't think I'd be as opposed to it if it has the right 'IT' factor. I describe the 'IT' factor being the balance between flamboyance and weight. Meaning, the heavier the part or component is, the more flamboyantly panache and 'Campy' it needs to be. It goes without saying that components like the Record crankset and the Super Record rear derailleur are a no brainer because they are of decent weight (meaning there is really no penalty to using them vs another crankset or RD) and their acknowledgement as elite parts is high - they are super recognizable and highly regarded.

The dork disc, while decently lightweight, has little in the way of 'regard', so it is sort of just extra weight. But let's be real - when I have to take out a second mortgage to buy a dork disc, something is seriously wrong. I mean, more wrong that 'normal' wrong for this build.

Does anyone know if Campy made a coffee cup holder?
Old 03-16-23, 07:46 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
We discussed the possibility of using one of these earlier in the thread but there were a couple points that made this less than ideal -

1. Extra weight on the bike
2. One of these plastic discs costs about 2x what the whole bike did

Now, I don't think I'd be as opposed to it if it has the right 'IT' factor. I describe the 'IT' factor being the balance between flamboyance and weight. Meaning, the heavier the part or component is, the more flamboyantly panache and 'Campy' it needs to be. It goes without saying that components like the Record crankset and the Super Record rear derailleur are a no brainer because they are of decent weight (meaning there is really no penalty to using them vs another crankset or RD) and their acknowledgement as elite parts is high - they are super recognizable and highly regarded.

The dork disc, while decently lightweight, has little in the way of 'regard', so it is sort of just extra weight. But let's be real - when I have to take out a second mortgage to buy a dork disc, something is seriously wrong. I mean, more wrong that 'normal' wrong for this build.

My apologies if using a Campy "dork disc: was discussed earlier. I was pressed for time when I posted and didn't have time to look through the whole thread. I also couldn't find discussion of that using the "Search This Thread" utility.

Your money, your bike - so your call. You're right, the cost for the Campy plastic spoke protector is exorbitant. But the plastic one wouldn't be heavy - and it might be a good "stealth second shot" item.

That is, when (as inevitably would happen) someone looked at it and sneered, "A 'dork disc', eh? Figures - it's a Huffy!" you'd have a perfect response: "Yeah? Take a good look at that 'dork disc'. It's Campy."

That said, I'd probably pass too. The cost is exorbitant.

Last edited by Hondo6; 03-16-23 at 07:50 PM.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 03-16-23, 07:58 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Nope - but they did produce a nutcracker:

And a saddle that wouldn't crack your nuts:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-16-23, 07:59 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
This quest reminds me of when I took a Raleigh 'Folding Twenty' and made in "full" Campy..got close.The bb was Sugino, but the cups werePhil Wood.
Only front hub was Campy rear was Nuke Proof...etc . Made perfect sense to me, since OEM parts were crap and very heavy.
This Huffy reminds me of my first 'road' bike, a Sears FreeSpirt... 35 lbs easy and I actually did my first race on it ..painful. Had zero Campy parts...

Likes For kraftwerk:
Old 03-16-23, 08:07 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts

Last edited by albrt; 03-16-23 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-16-23, 10:00 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Hondo6
My apologies if using a Campy "dork disc: was discussed earlier. I was pressed for time when I posted and didn't have time to look through the whole thread. I also couldn't find discussion of that using the "Search This Thread" utility.

Your money, your bike - so your call. You're right, the cost for the Campy plastic spoke protector is exorbitant. But the plastic one wouldn't be heavy - and it might be a good "stealth second shot" item.

That is, when (as inevitably would happen) someone looked at it and sneered, "A 'dork disc', eh? Figures - it's a Huffy!" you'd have a perfect response: "Yeah? Take a good look at that 'dork disc'. It's Campy."

That said, I'd probably pass too. The cost is exorbitant.

Nah, no need to apologize! I mean, I'm not

The other thing about the dork discs is don't they get suuuuuuuuuuuper brittle? Every one I've ever had on a bike older than 30 yrs has just sort of crumbled. Reminds me of a live tv special I saw one time where this old guy was talking about historical phonograph stuff and had this uber rare cylinder that housed some ancient recording on it, and as he was talking about how rare and important it was, it literally just crumbled away in his hands. Harsh!
Old 03-16-23, 10:08 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
During the Cambio Corsa era, the spoke protector was stamped steel. Probably only useful up to a 25t cog.
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-16-23, 10:17 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Nope - but they did produce a nutcracker:

And a saddle that wouldn't crack your nuts:

DD
A nutcracker??? Was it some sort of internal joke Campy had going on?

I see that they make some of that nice 'lifestyle' gear -

I want this to be me soooooo bad. I'm ready. Let's jump in with both feet!

It reminds me of another brand some of you may be familiar with. So I play guitar, and one of my favorites is Gibson. But one thing I can't get over is how they constantly try to turn the brand into a luxury lifestyle...$200 button down longsleeves and $1000 books. I mean, I like many of their guitars, but c'mon man!!!

If in doubt, just have a look yourself!

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product...B-TC-SLASH-CUS

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product...-HBARC-SHRT-XS
Old 03-16-23, 10:24 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

So this is happening.

Old 03-16-23, 10:28 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^^^^^ Well, knock me down with a feather! ^^^^^

Nice font! That'll should look really cool, and I for one am salivating in anticipation to view the final result of that exercise

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-17-23, 06:54 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
So this is happening.
It's a good thing that Stuffy is mild steel

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-17-23, 07:20 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by cudak888
It's a good thing that Stuffy is mild steel

-Kurt
My thoughts exactly.

Life a hot knife through butter
Old 03-17-23, 07:21 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Life a hot knife through butter
That might be a complement to the tubing, you know.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-17-23, 07:51 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
They are inevitable with the shifter bands it seems. Gran Sport, NR, same. If it breaks I think there is a way of attaching it on a campy shifter mount perhaps?
The Gran Sport shifters won't fit on a standard shifter braze-on. The Record shifters will, but you need the stop plates (parts #611/2 and #600/2), which aren't part of the clamp-on set:
Likes For JohnDThompson:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.