Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you wave at eBike riders?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you wave, nod, or acknowledge passing eBike riders?
Yes.
29.63%
No.
41.98%
Sometimes. I wave as the fancy takes me.
18.52%
Only if I'm on an eBike too.
1.23%
Other.
8.64%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wave at eBike riders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 08:51 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
A couple days ago I had an excellent ride on the Sandy Ridge Trail just down from Mt. Hood. It’s a closed paved road climb for about 4 miles and a fantastic berm and jump system down.

It took me 45 minutes to climb that hill, and after 2 runs, I was quite done.

On the grind up, I frequently got smoked by e-bikes. They were probably able to take at least one more run, maybe more. I think that might depend on their battery. Smiles (through the sweat) all around. Nobody cares.

Maybe I was a bit jealous of the “chairlift” up but they had to handle a 55lb bike down. Whatever.

It’s annoying when an ebike is bearing down on me while I’m working up some technical section. I won’t pull over until I’ve either dabbed or gotten through the tough part for that. Up a road though, who cares.
Old 05-06-23, 12:46 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
In some areas the heart fist pump and peace sign could get you killed…just saying!
In those types or areas you have to respect the controlling entity. I ask for permission and take off my colors when traveling through. I'm not a Warrior. Anything I can do to keep from rumbling with crews like the Orphans, the Turnbull ACs, the Baseball Furies, the Rogues or the Gramercy Riffs I'll do. I just want to make it back home peacefully.

Last edited by seypat; 05-06-23 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-06-23, 02:00 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Blame the humans not the mode of transport in those cases. Yes I don't like the electric mopeds and I don't like them being classified as bicycles but it is the humans on top you have the issue with. I have had plenty of people on non-electric bicycles riding down the wrong way on clearly marked bike lanes and plenty of people riding non-electric bicycles using a MUP as a training ground and yada yada yada that I know it is the individual not what they are riding necessarily.
Exactly this. We should focus on behaviour rather than equipment.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 05-06-23, 02:33 PM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
This has been one of my favorite things about driving old volkswagens through the years. A couple of decades ago when older air-cooled vw's were more common I lost track of the number of times I stopped for others who were broken down, and had others stop for me. Community is a beautiful thing.
No doubt you've seen the film Sleeper by Woody Allen?
Likes For Xavier65:
Old 05-06-23, 02:56 PM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
then you have the opposite side.

Why Roadies Don't Smile-funny article I just read

Come to think of it, of all the cyclists I've ever waved at (or otherwise acknowledged), being a slowish tourer (dressed casual, not team coloured lycra), 90% of the solo lycra clad roadies do not return the acknowledgement, and 100% of the eBikers have not (so far). If there are groups of old codger roadies, lycra clad or not, they generally have enough camaraderie and high spirits to return my greeting.

An eBikeing couple passed me today, and didn't return my wave. I think they half-glanced their eyeballs at me like I was a moron, but otherwise steadfastly continued their dutiful pedalling - eyes locked forward. Of course, after I waved, as they briskly passed, I realised why it was futile as I noticed their oversized downtubes (battery storage).

I think it's a case of high speed roadies cannot risk any diversion of control or attention from their time trial, and eBikers instantly recognise non-eBikers, and consider them infra dig.
Old 05-06-23, 03:09 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Xavier65
Come to think of it, of all the cyclists I've ever waved at (or otherwise acknowledged), being a slowish tourer (dressed casual, not team coloured lycra), 90% of the solo lycra clad roadies do not return the acknowledgement, and 100% of the eBikers have not (so far). If there are groups of old codger roadies, lycra clad or not, they generally have enough camaraderie and high spirits to return my greeting.

An eBikeing couple passed me today, and didn't return my wave. I think they half-glanced their eyeballs at me like I was a moron, but otherwise steadfastly continued their dutiful pedalling - eyes locked forward. Of course, after I waved, as they briskly passed, I realised why it was futile as I noticed their oversized downtubes (battery storage).

I think it's a case of high speed roadies cannot risk any diversion of control or attention from their time trial, and eBikers instantly recognise non-eBikers, and consider them infra dig.
The people who didn't wave at you most likely encountered hundreds of other cyclists along the way and never exchanged any waves with any of them.....You waving at them doesn't make you look friendly, it makes you look like an attention seeking weirdo.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-06-23, 03:17 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I found that most females regardless of age group wave and most younger males and really old males wave but I tell you for some reason guys in that 55-65 yoa group will not wave. It is weird I am 64 years old and generally acknowledge every rider I meet whether on ebike, bmx, cruiser, race bike etc. But when I meet a male in what appears to be 55-65yoa they will not wave they look all pissed off for some reason. Oh and they always have either a short white goatee beard and sometimes have a gray pony tail. They are always kitted out in gear and act like they are competing in the TDF even tho they are only going 15-18 mph, when they are going the same direction and I pass them they will never say hi. it is freaking weird..
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-06-23, 03:27 PM
Xavier65

Originally Posted by wolfchild
The people who didn't wave at you most likely encountered hundreds of other cyclists along the way and never exchanged any waves with any of them.....You waving at them doesn't make you look friendly, it makes you look like an attention seeking weirdo.
Not really no. I cycle in a fairly low population density region. If there were hundreds of other cyclists along their way, I would know about it.

There are many fellow cyclists who acknowledge me*, either before or after I acknowledge them, but the lycra solo racer and eBiker consistently do not. However, I'm wondering if the solo lycra racers will acknowledge other lycra racers? And maybe, similarly, eBikers acknowledge each other?

* If this didn't happen, I would pretty soon cease any attempt at acknowledgement. However, because it does happen, I persist in what seems to be polite etiquette, but it is strange when certain classes of cyclist do not reciprocate.
Old 05-06-23, 05:31 PM
DaleDee
Pedalist

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
And hirsute…
Oh, yes, very hirsute. You can tell by all the hair covering their ugly bodies.
Likes For DaleDee:
Old 05-06-23, 09:29 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I only wave if the bike is a regular bike converted to an Ebike, then they get to the wave for doing something cool.
Old 05-06-23, 09:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,643 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I don't wave to anybody because there are too many people riding bikes around here. They don't wave either so I guess it's just not done here.
Interesting write up in Sociology texts many years ago about two populations of rats kept in the same size cages. The first cage contained 10 rats and the second was overcrowded with 20. The first group lived relatively harmoniously with few fights and scuffles/challenges for food or water. The second group was determined to be antisocial due to their very close proximity with constant attacks over food/water and/or territory. Having lived in big cities (Seattle and SF) and small towns (less than 5000) I have observed far less friendliness exhibited by the city dwellers (smiling or waiving) compared to the small towns. Purely a subjective observation and not saying there aren’t plenty of friendlies in the cities or grumps in the sticks but my observations (confirmation bias?) tend to validate the study.

Waiving or not waiving on a bike may solely be an environmental function of where you live and not being a ‘good’ or ‘antisocial’ person.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-07-23, 05:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You waving at them doesn't make you look friendly, it makes you look like an attention seeking weirdo.

Do you think this is going to look less stupid if you keep posting it again and again?

BTW, compulsively repeating this is making you seem like an attention seeking weirdo.

I did a solo century yesterday, mostly state highway miles. I'd say about half of the other road cyclists either waved, nodded or said hi to me. I try to acknowledge it when I can. Guess we're mostly weirdos here.
​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-23, 05:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Xavier65
Not really no. I cycle in a fairly low population density region. If there were hundreds of other cyclists along their way, I would know about it.

There are many fellow cyclists who acknowledge me*, either before or after I acknowledge them, but the lycra solo racer and eBiker consistently do not. However, I'm wondering if the solo lycra racers will acknowledge other lycra racers? And maybe, similarly, eBikers acknowledge each other?

* If this didn't happen, I would pretty soon cease any attempt at acknowledgement. However, because it does happen, I persist in what seems to be polite etiquette, but it is strange when certain classes of cyclist do not reciprocate.

​​​​​I don't think there's anything strange about it. People are riding for different purposes, acknowledging waves is consistent with some purposes and not others.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-23, 05:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob
Interesting write up in Sociology texts many years ago about two populations of rats kept in the same size cages. The first cage contained 10 rats and the second was overcrowded with 20. The first group lived relatively harmoniously with few fights and scuffles/challenges for food or water. The second group was determined to be antisocial due to their very close proximity with constant attacks over food/water and/or territory. Having lived in big cities (Seattle and SF) and small towns (less than 5000) I have observed far less friendliness exhibited by the city dwellers (smiling or waiving) compared to the small towns. Purely a subjective observation and not saying there aren’t plenty of friendlies in the cities or grumps in the sticks but my observations (confirmation bias?) tend to validate the study.

Waiving or not waiving on a bike may solely be an environmental function of where you live and not being a ‘good’ or ‘antisocial’ person.

There's an argument to be made that not waving in busy urban situations is actually pro-social as imposing an informal obligation to respond is distracting the person from riding safety in a more complex environment. Better for everyone to just forego it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-23, 06:16 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
What we really need to know to answer this poll accurately is what constitutes a wave. Is it a pronounced lifting of the fingers from the bars when you are in the drops or do the hands need to completely leave the bars? If we need to completely take a hand off of the bar, then how far? Is it a simple lift, or a full on wave like we need to flag down a taxi?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-07-23, 06:16 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

One is thus inspired to wonder: does a waver require a waiver in order to have a wave acknowledged by another waver, or is waiving the requirement for waving an indication of a sociopathic condition that is induced by constant pressure from the wavers' collective gaze -- which itself precludes waiving waving -- in an environment that induces recursive alienation?
Likes For badger1:
Old 05-07-23, 08:51 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
For all my rage I am just a rat on a bike.
Old 05-07-23, 08:56 AM
eja_ bottecchia

These “wave” posts never, ever disappoint.

Just ride your bike and have fun.

Wave if you like, don’t wave if you don’t feel like it.

Who gives a rat’s behind.

I have a strict non-wave policy. Unless, of course, it is an attractive woman and she is riding a Colnago. There I am both a sexist and a bike snob.
Old 05-07-23, 09:00 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by DaleDee
Oh, yes, very hirsute. You can tell by all the hair covering their ugly bodies.
You have a good sense of humor. I would wave at you even if you are uglier and more hirsute that I am.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 05-07-23, 09:18 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Who wants to party with Beng? He sounds fun.

Last edited by BillyD; 05-07-23 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Cleanup
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-07-23, 09:49 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Who wants to party with Beng? He sounds fun.
Ignore him. Don’t feed the troll.
Old 05-07-23, 09:58 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I like the feeling of driving my stick-shift Camry, and I know lots of people who have died in automobile crashes, but I could still give two-hoots about waving at other automobile drivers no matter if they are driving the same car I am or not.

I grew up with motorcycles and rode them for years, that is how I know they wave at each other because they always wave at me when I ride my motorcycle, but again, that is their problem they are so desperate or insecure they have to bother strangers because they are using the same transportation. Motorcycling was ruined for me beginning in the 1980s when Harley Davidson went full Wall-Street and turned motorcycling into a fashion-trend and accessory. If anyone got into motorcycling after about 1983 I have zero use for them, especially if they ride Harleys or Harley clones, no thanks.

Today I was riding my bicycle over a street, keeping off to the right side going with traffic, and an E-biker came up the street going the wrong way on my side against traffic, and they were going Fast, and for a moment there was a danger of a collision with this...........person. And I have had other close-calls with them pulling similar stunts, going the wrong way or cutting around me getting quite close at high-speeds. If one of them ever hits me they better hope I am dead because an bruises I get I will be glad to return to them.

E-bikes are fashionable, trendy consumer goods that are lacking in much -needed regulation, and I have not seen anyone on one of them that impresses me in the least, quite the opposite in fact, it seems like the dregs of humanity gravitate towards them as they do to anything fashionable or trendy.
If you don’t like the topic of a thread, feel free to go find one you like better, don’t keep coming back to rain on this one.
Old 05-07-23, 10:47 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by BillyD
If you don’t like the topic of a thread, feel free to go find one you like better, don’t keep coming back to rain on this one.
Is there a history to this poster? It seems to me that he was merely posting his opinion. Just like everyone else here.
Old 05-07-23, 12:16 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
I wave if they're coming towards me. I draft and pass if they're going my way. I do say how's it going as I pass by.
Old 05-07-23, 12:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
I wave if they're coming towards me. I draft and pass if they're going my way. I do say how's it going as I pass by.
it's a little rainy out, but going well otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.