Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Now I’m a Karen

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 09:03 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Here once you get a half mile from I parking lot the casual walkers usually fade out. I have had one Karen encounter I had run to Lowes for a couple of tomato plants. I use a Hori Hori a traditional Japanese garden spade all the time I had just stuck it in my belt . I was stopped and ask why I thought I needed to carry that weapon in the store. Middle age bleach blonde soccer mom type. I explained to her that it was a garden tool and that I wouldn't carry a knife for self defense 😎
Old 03-28-24, 03:53 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
all I needed to read
so true...it's why I stay off the MUP as much as possible. But then some KAREN driver will yell out at me to "GET ON THE TRAIL!"
Old 03-28-24, 03:59 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Walkers think they own the trail, drivers think they own the roads. Cyclists obviously are the bane of everyone else's existence, but I already knew that. I got yelled at by a grandpa a few weeks ago because I passed without calling out (which I'm going to be doing every 15 seconds riding a trail), and dude said "get a bell LANCE!" so I got called a "Lance"
Old 03-28-24, 04:49 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
Here once you get a half mile from I parking lot the casual walkers usually fade out. I have had one Karen encounter I had run to Lowes for a couple of tomato plants. I use a Hori Hori a traditional Japanese garden spade all the time I had just stuck it in my belt . I was stopped and ask why I thought I needed to carry that weapon in the store. Middle age bleach blonde soccer mom type. I explained to her that it was a garden tool and that I wouldn't carry a knife for self defense 😎
I looked up the Hori Hori, and it does resemble, in profile, of one of those big action movie knives. But then I remembered reading that the US military regulation "entrenching tool" was a favored weapon in hand to hand combat in Vietnam. It looks like a little shovel to me. Images are everything in marketing and marketing is everything in perception.
Old 03-29-24, 08:14 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
So stopping in the middle of a path, in the way of all other users, becoming an obstacle/hazard to everyone else who has an equal right to safe and unimpeded travel is ok? No. It's the height of self-centered discourtesy.
Where is your sense of basic civics?
I find it’s not people being discourteous, they are oblivious and more than often, apologetic .

I slow and tell them…. “it’s OK, I’ve checked the calendar and it’s not my day to run anyone over”

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-29-24, 10:17 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
how we are viewed

Likes For squirtdad: