Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Brooks wanna-be saddles

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 09:26 PM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts
Brooks wanna-be saddles

Yeah, I know this is really a gear thread and probably belongs in another forum, but I have a hunch that this forum has the highest percentage of Brooks saddle zealots...

Just curious if any of you have any experience with the some of the "Brooks like" saddles being sold on Ebay, like this one? Also, Velo Orange sells something similar, possibly made by the same manufacturer?

I love Brooks saddles, but the prices are getting a little ridiculous, so it would be nice if there were some lower cost alternatives that worked as well.
Old 03-19-09, 10:16 PM
metal_cowboy

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rivendell is selling some "Brooksalike" saddles. They gave them good reviews, although for the money, a Brooks is hard to beat for quaility and durability.
Old 03-20-09, 09:33 AM
7speed
Gaspipe Pilot

Bikes: Lots of bikes for lots of different kinds of riding....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Soma Okami? https://somafab.com/sad_okami.html
Synthetic leather, rivets....
I've no experience with them at all.
Old 03-20-09, 09:45 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know about that Ebay one, but I trust stuff that V-O makes. I've got a bunch of V-O equipment on a couple of my bikes, and I'm friends with one of their buyers on a couple other social networks. He puts a lot of time and effort into sourcing quality stuff to offer on their site.

Yes, I'm a bit biased toward V-O; but they honestly do sell good stuff.
Old 03-20-09, 12:25 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's good to see others getting into designing/sourcing quality bicycle products. Hopefully time will bear out the quality of these saddles.

It is hard to beat the time-tested Brooks mind you and these copies, generally retailing @ about 65% of similar Brooks models, w/ shipping and duties are not much different in cost.

I am very happy also w/ the products from VO. I'm especially fond of the racks and decaleur on my Bleriot.
Old 03-20-09, 03:02 PM
Al Criner

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check Frankenbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pricepoint.com has B-17s for $75 (plus shipping) right now. That is a lot less than many of the plastic saddles out there.
Old 03-20-09, 03:58 PM
ClydesterD

Bikes: '97 W'ford X-11, '00 W'ford RS-22; '06 VO Rando; '07 Surly Cross-Check; '08 VO Pass Hunter; Riv Homer Hilsen; '09 Riv Sam Hillborne; '09 VO Polyvalent; '11 Rich Adams; '13 VO Campeur; '17 Riv Cheviot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lonesomesteve
I love Brooks saddles, but the prices are getting a little ridiculous.
I've wondered about the sudden proliferation of Brooks knockoffs. I also love Brooks saddles, but I don't think their prices are out of line. I see a lot of variation in price---and haven't checked prices this year---but last year bought a few B-17 Specials for, I think, $79 each plus shipping, and thought that was a bit of a bargain (which is why I bought several).

I know what to expect from Brooks. I haven't tried VO and Rivendell, but they're reliable brands and their saddles are probably fine. I don't know what to expect from someone on ebay selling no-name leather saddles, but I'd be disinclined to find out. My thinking with leather saddles is long-term---like 20 to 30 years long---and I've had good experience with Brooks. That experience counts for a lot with me.
Old 03-20-09, 05:53 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Randochap
It's good to see others getting into designing/sourcing quality bicycle products. Hopefully time will bear out the quality of these saddles.

It is hard to beat the time-tested Brooks mind you and these copies, generally retailing @ about 65% of similar Brooks models, w/ shipping and duties are not much different in cost.

I am very happy also w/ the products from VO. I'm especially fond of the racks and decaleur on my Bleriot.
There's another one commonly on Ebay, the Cardiff Gull Swallow imitation. This in all its photos looks nearly identical to the V-O Swallow. I have a V-O, and have liked it on the trainer, but I haven't taken it on the road yet. The finish of the leather is not the equal of Brooks, it isn't obviously a hide, and there is some sort of underlayer on the bottom side. Some have commented that the underlayer is a sign of a lesser product, but if the leather is not of the same quality, it's positive that the designers added it.

I should take that Imperial off the Trek and mount the V-O. Oh boy, more wrenching!

Road Fan
Old 03-23-09, 11:26 AM
elbows

Bikes: Masi Speciale Randonneur, Fuji del Ray, Co-Motion Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the V-O saddle as well as a couple of Brooks. For the first 5 miles, I thought the V-O was by far the best saddle I've ever tried. Then my sit bones started to feel a little sore and I thought, "Well, it's not broken in yet, the leather must be a little hard still." But the more I rode, the worse it got.

Eventually I realized that the saddle is narrower than I am, and my sit bones were resting directly on the metal frame. I don't think that's going to get any softer with use. ;-)

So the V-O saddle is great if you have a skinny butt. If they had a model that was an inch wider, I'd buy 3 right now.
Old 03-23-09, 12:02 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

What saddle is wide enough for you, and which Brooks have worked well for you, elbows?
Old 03-23-09, 12:46 PM
elbows

Bikes: Masi Speciale Randonneur, Fuji del Ray, Co-Motion Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
What saddle is wide enough for you, and which Brooks have worked well for you, elbows?
I have a B-17 and a Team Pro. Both are adequate in that I can do longish rides on them without pain or numbness. I find the Team Pro a bit more comfortable, and it's probably close to the minimum width for me.
Old 04-04-09, 07:30 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by lonesomesteve
Yeah, I know this is really a gear thread and probably belongs in another forum, but I have a hunch that this forum has the highest percentage of Brooks saddle zealots...

Just curious if any of you have any experience with the some of the "Brooks like" saddles being sold on Ebay, like this one? Also, Velo Orange sells something similar, possibly made by the same manufacturer?

I love Brooks saddles, but the prices are getting a little ridiculous, so it would be nice if there were some lower cost alternatives that worked as well.
Brooks were just on sale at Nashbar for only a few dollars more than the VO. I'm cheap by nature but always thought a seat was good place to overspend. If your backside isn't happy you aren't going to be either.
Old 04-04-09, 07:48 AM
rugerben

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Seriously, the knock-offs don't save much at all.

BikeIsland.com has had B17's for $72 (black) and $80 (honey) INCLUDING shipping for a while now. All those knock-offs that you see on eBay ending up costing nearly that much if not more once you factor in shipping anyway. So why no just get the real thing?

Last edited by rugerben; 04-04-09 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-04-09, 12:30 PM
Road Fan

I've been resistant to buying a B17 because of my experience with my Ideale 92. The 92 has the same dimensions as the B17, and mine is one of the long ones that really is as long, 27 cm. It always seems too wide and causes chafing on the inner leg even on 15 mile rides - not worth it! so the B17 has the same width numbers. If my Brooks Pro is set up right I don't get that, and on the VO swallow there is no sensation that's even close to that. So the discounted VO I have was a bargain way to check out the geometry of a real Swallow.

I think not all leather saddles are identical.

Road Fan
Old 04-04-09, 02:21 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can get a B17 for £35 which to me is well worth it. I will get one eventually, but I'd need to change my suspension seat post to a standard one! Then I'd need one for my road bike too, so it'd end up costing around £100!