Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What Components For Long Haul Trucker?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 05:24 PM
WashWizards727

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to order a Long Haul Trucker frame and build it up myself. I want to have good quality components that will last a long time. I am going to be taking this bike across the country in the summer of 2010, and I also want to take it on some gravel rail trails.

I'm thinking of using deore xt components. How much smoother and faster do you think the bike would be if it had road components? Do you think using deore xt is a good idea, or should I go road?
Old 05-28-09, 05:46 PM
goldfishin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chris king hubs

velocity deep v rims

dt spokes

xtr cranks

xtr rear der

xtr front der

dura ace bar ends

thompson seat post and stem

king headset

brooks b17 saddle

nitto bars

etc...

and xt is just fine. perfect for touring. road is too weak and too highly geared.
Old 05-28-09, 05:51 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well... the "stock" bike comes with XT, and I personally like it on mine.
I'm going to be gradually upgrading all the components. My build list is fairly extensive.
Front wheel: Schmidt SON 28, 36 hole laced 3x w/ Mavic A719 rim and DT competition spokes
Rear Wheel: Phil Wood FSC 40 hole laced 4x w/ Mavic A719 rim and DT competition spokes
Bottom Bracket: Phil Wood Square Taper
Crank: TA Cyclotouriste 48,36,24
FD: Shimano Ultegra
RD: Shimano Deore XT
Headset: Chris King
Front Brake: Paul Neo-Retro
Rear Brake: Paul Touring
Seatpost: Shimano Ultegra SP-6600
Handlebars: Nitto B115 or Nitto Randonneur
I think that's it...
It's extensive, and it's going to be expensive. But, when I'm done it'll be an incredibly reliable bike.
-Gene-
Old 05-28-09, 06:54 PM
jchabalk 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amani576 - what type of shifters are you going to use? and what cassette? (teeth and number of cogs)

You may want to look at not using an ultegra and use a tiagra, or something along tiagra lines (or a MB FD). I was given that advice by a forum member a while ago and it ended up being the right thing to do.

The current ultegras are 10sp. I think you can run them with a 9sp chain but you'll probably have to trim the FD a bunch, if you're using friction shifters you'll be able to make it work, if you're using indexing you'll probably end up wanting to smash the thing. The tiagra's not chain-width specific and i think it'll work with 7/8sp chain just fine. I'm running mine with a 9sp and friction shifters and it's totally solid.

Tiagra weighs a little more than ultegra (it's minimal) but it a little burlier too which may let it got knocked about a few more times before having issues..

good luck - sounds like a great bike!
Old 05-28-09, 06:56 PM
xyzzy834

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WashWizards727
I'm thinking of using deore xt components. How much smoother and faster do you think the bike would be if it had road components? Do you think using deore xt is a good idea, or should I go road?
Originally Posted by goldfishin

xtr cranks

xtr rear der

xtr front der

and xt is just fine. perfect for touring. road is too weak and too highly geared.
Before you commit lots of money to a mountain bike crankset and front derailleur, make sure you understand the trade-offs involved in two areas: running a 50mm chainline and a 44-tooth big chainring.

I run an XT rear derailleur and a custom 13-34 cassette on my Fuji Touring bike. In the front, I use a TA crankset (110/74/56 bolt circle) with 48/36/22 tooth chainrings. I shift the front with a Shimano 105 road derailleur because the 105 matches the 48/36/22 rings better and works well with the 12 and 14 tooth jumps between rings. It also lets me run a 47.5mm chainline with a reasonable crank Q-factor and still shifts into the 22-tooth ring well.

I don't believe XTR is any stronger than XT. It is slightly better finished and usually lighter, but not stronger.
Old 05-28-09, 07:05 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12196 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
If you want to spend more money, get a better frame. Don't get me wrong, the LHT is good value for the money. But long chainstays and plain bottom bracket shell using cheap steel add up to a lot of flex.

That is annoying. But when you show up wanting speed... that set off alarm bells in my head. It will NEVER be fast. If you want to keep the price equivalent, try an aluminum touring bike or a cross bike like the Bianchi Axis.

But you want to be looking at other frames, IMHO.

Btw, touring bikes are made to be tough and comfy. I test rode a Waterford Adventure cycle with XT components once. It took a looong time to accelerate.
It had no appreciable BB flex, it was big and heavy and speed was just not on the agenda when they made it. Great touring bike.

So you have some decisions to make. But the first one is the type of frame you want.
Old 05-28-09, 07:13 PM
metal_cowboy

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano XT front and rear derailure
Shimao XT(36H) hubs with Mavic A719 rims
Nitto Noodle handlebars
Stem(any).
Headset: Chris King would be nice, but buy what you can afford.
Tires: Panaracer Pasela 700X35 Tour Guard.
Seatpost: Nitto
Seat: Brooks.
Brakes: I like Paul's, but I used Avid's becuase I had them.
Crank: Sugino triple.
Bar Tape: Brooks with a couple coats of shellac(allthough simple cloth or cork tape is just as good).
Fenders: I like Honjo, but wood fenders and a Brooks saddle are very classy.
Seatbag: Carradice, or Acorn.
Shifters: Shimano barcons.
Brakes: Diacompe 287V's. I also like the Cane Creek brakes.

Old 05-28-09, 09:16 PM
surfjimc
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the build I'm doing now. It is definitely my dream bike. Only need the wheels and the frame painted, but $$$ dictates that it may be sometime in fall before I finish.

Front wheel: Phil Wood, 36 hole laced 3x w/ Mavic A719 rim Peter White built
Rear Wheel: Phil Wood FSC 40 hole laced 4x w/ Mavic A719 rim Peter White built
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore XT
Crank: Shimano Deore XT 48, 36, 26
FD: Shimano Deore XT
RD: Shimano Deore XT
Chain: Sram 791
Freewheel: Shimano Deore XT 11-34
Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 9 Speed Bar Ends
Headset: Chris King
Front Brake: Paul Touring
Rear Brake: Paul Touring
Seatpost: Thompson Elite
Saddle: Brooks B-17 Special, Honey
Stem: Nitto Lugged Reynolds 853
Handlebars: Nitto 117 46cm
Tape: Handlebra Honey Leather This stuff is sweeeet.

The frame is a 1984 Specialized Expedition I picked up on ebay. Still debating the paint. I'm thinking metal flake forest green with the original stickers in place so it looks totally stock. I can't wait to finish it, but I got my layoff notice today and they didn't seem nearly as concerned with the impact on my build as I was. Oh well. The search is back on. The build will complete when it is.

Last edited by surfjimc; 05-28-09 at 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot shifters
Old 05-29-09, 06:30 AM
OldFencer

Bikes: Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Metal Cowboy, that is a beautiful bike. I'm currently saving up for a LHT myself and the picture of yours is making the itch worse!

The fenders are a very nice touch; reminiscent of the old surfer's classic locomotion, the Woodie.

Very nice.