Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Wider tire decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 10:18 PM
Johnny Rebel

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Castro Valley, 1985 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wider tire decisions...

So, I have a hankering to get some new, wider tires, and wondering what folks out there have had luck with. I weigh 215-220 and I often carry another 10-15 pounds in my panniers. My bike (a Bianchi Volpe w/ fenders) came with 700x28 Vittoria tires (used). The tires are quite nice, and I've never had a flat with them, but they do feel a bit harsh on rough roads, and they just feel 'skinny' and 'rough'on my wheels. I got a pair of Ritchey Speedmax 32s ("combination" tread) which are fun on the dirt trails, but are sluggish on the road, particularly while climbing and cornering -- those knobs seem to get in the way when you're going dead straight. I rode several 700x35s for years on my old beater, and I do miss the plush ride. 35s would just barely fit on my bike w/ fenders. I'm looking at the Panaracer Paselas, and I'm trying to keep things cheap. Any other good suggestions?
Old 06-03-11, 11:06 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I like Specialized Armadillos. Continental Contacts wear forever, but you'll want to make sure you get one of the sub-models without heavy tread. 622x32 are a nice compromise between 28 and 35.
Old 06-03-11, 11:34 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd go with the Pasela or Pasela TG if you want some extra flat protection (they have an aramid strip along the tread.) The Pasela line also runs a little small, so you might have better clearance with a 35 if you wanted to move up to that size, but I'll be honest with you; I did a 300k brevet last year that had almost 15 miles of gravel forest-service roads (big, loose gravel) using a pair of Pasela TG 32mm tires and didn't have a single problem. No flats, no poor traction issues, nothing.
If you're looking to clear a 35mm tire and have wider fender clearance you can always split the fender and use a pair of Reacharounds (from River City Bicycles, in Oregon.) I've got a pair of 32mm tires and 45mm Cascadia fenders on a 1988 Trek 400 by using a pair of Reacharounds. You don't lose much in the way of coverage if installed properly... just a little break in the coverage at the brake mounts.
Old 06-03-11, 04:43 PM
Johnny Rebel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the responses. I have thought about just going with 32s, but am simply looking for the plushest ride possible...the pavement in my entire state (Maine) is almost uniformly terrible, it's practically like off-roading the whole time! The Vittoria Rnadonneurs 28s just feel like they stress my wheels a bit, with my 210-240 pounds of fat rolls and gear rolling on them. Clifton, how much weight do you usually roll on those Pasela 32s?
Old 06-03-11, 07:45 PM
Hairy Hands

Bikes: Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know how wide you can go, but many long distance riders including myself use Grand Bois tires. They make various sizes from 20 to 42mm. You cant go wrong.
Old 06-03-11, 08:44 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Rebel
Thanks for the responses. I have thought about just going with 32s, but am simply looking for the plushest ride possible...the pavement in my entire state (Maine) is almost uniformly terrible, it's practically like off-roading the whole time! The Vittoria Rnadonneurs 28s just feel like they stress my wheels a bit, with my 210-240 pounds of fat rolls and gear rolling on them. Clifton, how much weight do you usually roll on those Pasela 32s?
On that 300k I mentioned, I was around 235 pounds, riding a 28 pound bike, carrying 50 miles worth of kit for all weather since it was unsupported and unmanned for most of the route. Total weight was around 280 when you factor in luggage, gear, food and water.

The Vittoria Randos are a harsh ride because the sidewalls are like iron plating. Sure, you'd be hard pressed to cut those things by riding through a handful of razors, but it leads to a very rough ride. The Paselas TG is a plush ride because the gumwall sides are very flexible, so even for being a low TPI tire, they ride more like handmade high TPI versions. The flexibility of the sidewall means that you will experience some loss of power transfer to tire flex by running it on a narrow rim, but you can alleviate that issue by stepping up the pressure a little bit (which harshes the ride in another fashion) or by moving up to a wider rim. My favourite combo of these is the Sun CR18 and 32mm Pasela TG.
Old 06-04-11, 04:57 AM
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the 700x35 Paselas. I weigh about 215 and carry loads from nothing to fully loaded touring on those tires. I also ride all manner of surfaces. Lots of pavement, gravel road races, rocky two tracks, even mountain bike trails when I feel like taking the "short cut" to work. They perform far better than you'd expect from such a frumpy looking tire in nearly all conditions. I've never even had a single flat with the TG versions.

I do have to say though, that these tires benefited immensely from a wider rim. Moving from Sun MZ-14s to Mavic A319s made a noticeable difference in stability on loose surfaces.
Old 06-04-11, 05:38 AM
Johnny Rebel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clifton, thanks for the detailed response. I doubt I would carry 280 pounds anytime soon, or ever. That brevet is a good testimonial. I ride on a lot of gravel and rough roads, too.
Askel, my rear rim would fit a 700x35 with some room to spare, and the specs on my front rim say 35s would be the outer limits. I might flip a coin between the 32s and 35s at this point. My only nervousness with 35s would be tight fender clearance.
Hairy, I'd love to get some of them there 'Grand Boys' but I ain't got that kind of scratch! They look swell, though.
Old 06-04-11, 07:13 AM
Hairy Hands

Bikes: Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Johnny Rebel
Hairy, I'd love to get some of them there 'Grand Boys' but I ain't got that kind of scratch! They look swell, though.
Something you possibly have not yet considered. I know the price for the Grand Bois is expensive, but I buy 4 tires at a time. Cost is 60 per tire if you buy 4 or more at a time. The front tire will last me for 6000 miles, and I replace the rear tires every 3500 to 4000 miles. and Im no light weight either.

Compare that to my century bike where I use 25mm tubular tires, and I am lucky to get 2000 miles on the rear tire at a 100 bucks a tire.

Last edited by Hairy Hands; 06-04-11 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-04-11, 08:33 AM
CliftonGK1

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hairy Hands
Something you possibly have not yet considered. I know the price for the Grand Bois is expensive, but I buy 4 tires at a time. Cost is 60 per tire if you buy 4 or more at a time. The front tire will last me for 6000 miles, and I replace the rear tires every 3500 to 4000 miles. and Im no light weight either.
That's about the same wear that I get from a pair of Pasela TG's for half the cost. Granted, the ride quality is incomparable between the two. The GB Cypres is about the most comfortable clincher tire you can possibly put on a bike.
The big issue that I (and other riders with my club) have is that the Grand Bois tires are pretty delicate unless you can clear the Hetre or Lierre in your frame. Even Jan (I'm assuming with the 4 for 60/ea deal that's who you're buying them from) admits that they are less durable and less puncture proof than other tires in their price range. The people I know riding GB Cypres are mostly lightweights (sub 175) and on rough roads they still make certain to ride gingerly to keep from flatting.
Since the OP mentioned rough roads and dirt trails, I'd suggest not going with the GB Cypres. The sacrifice of a little comfort to pick up a lot of durability is a fair trade.
Old 06-04-11, 09:44 AM
RandoneeRider
Retired C.O.

Bikes: REI 2009 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't figure out what size tires my new bike has on it (reflective sidewalls prevent me from making out a size). I was however able to read, Vittoria "Double Shielding" Randonneur.... the wheel had a decal with numbers, something like 50mm 4.5 60.... whatever that means.

Sooo..... because I have a fear of having to deal with punctures/flat tires, I carry Tire Plugger kits and electric pumps on my motorcycles
- and -
yesterday I had those SLIME protective strips installed between my innertube & tires on my new Randonee touring bike (apparently we have some pretty nasty thorns 'round this area).

All that having been said, I too would like to know where I stand with regard to what I'll be riding on until they need replaced, AND what a good alternative tire/innertube set-up would be for my 250 pounds.

Sign me,
new guy with questions.....
-= PAT =-
Old 06-04-11, 09:49 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by RandoneeRider
I can't figure out what size tires my new bike has on it (reflective sidewalls prevent me from making out a size). I was however able to read, Vittoria "Double Shielding" Randonneur.... the wheel had a decal with numbers, something like 50mm 4.5 60.... whatever that means.

Sooo..... because I have a fear of having to deal with punctures/flat tires, I carry Tire Plugger kits and electric pumps on my motorcycles
- and -
yesterday I had those SLIME protective strips installed between my innertube & tires on my new Randonee touring bike (apparently we have some pretty nasty thorns 'round this area).

All that having been said, I too would like to know where I stand with regard to what I'll be riding on until they need replaced, AND what a good alternative tire/innertube set-up would be for my 250 pounds.

Sign me,
new guy with questions.....
-= PAT =-
https://www.rei.com/product/709112/vi...700-x-28-32-35

I use tubes for 700 X 28-35

Old 06-04-11, 08:38 PM
flippin_bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran 32c Vittoria Randonneurs on my old bike and loved them. They soaked up the rough stuff and had no problem with hard pack dirt. My current bike has a set of 32c Panaracer Urban Max. These roll a bit faster and are still quite supple to absorb shock. These run well on hard pack and are only a tad more skittish when I roll through gravel. Never a problem with flats on either tire as they have puncture resistant linings. I love 32c tires. Go for it!
Old 06-05-11, 04:00 PM
Profgumby

Bikes: Giant Sedona, Giant Trance 2, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2011 Schwinn LeTour Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the 32's. I have 28's on my bike and on the bumpy roads around here I think the 32's would ride much better. I have 35's on my Old Continental and much prefer their ride to the 28's but do not want to go that wide on the LeTour. I also am leaning towards Armadillo's with a reflective sidewall...But I am talking with the local shop owner and he has some tires that just might fit the bill. I will post what I choose. I may stay with 28's for now.

Last edited by Profgumby; 06-10-11 at 07:43 PM.