Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? Continued.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? Continued.

Old 05-05-10, 12:05 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brando_T.
new planet bike fenders on my bike also. no rain.

I took a tumble though when my tire got caught in a crack...I wrenched the handlebars left, but the fork stayed straight. Got everything tightened up at noon. Wish me luck on the way home.
Good luck. BTW, I think that's always the way it is w/ fenders. Get 'em installed and it doesn't rain for a couple weeks. I had to wait a while to give mine a proper test.
Old 05-05-10, 12:18 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by neil
I rode this morning. My winter bike is now living in my parents' garage, so the ice was a little treacherous with my slick touring tires.
I wussed out and took transit. There's always tomorrow, but with today's high predicted to be 1C, there won't be much melting.
Old 05-05-10, 12:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Pollen-filled wind. Bleh.
Old 05-05-10, 12:47 PM
opie

Bikes: 2012 Venge, 2011 Transition, Surly Troll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode over to the train this morning (5 miles vs 10 all the way to work). Wasn't feeling the full commute with a 6 mile tempo run this afternoon. I'm glad I did. I'm tired already and will still have the ride home after the run
Old 05-05-10, 01:05 PM
z3px

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally rode to work this morning. I've always had a level of anxiety with riding to work, but I just bucked up and did it without any problems!
Pretty dense fog most of the way, luckily i was on trails through most of it.
Old 05-05-10, 01:10 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z3px
Finally rode to work this morning. I've always had a level of anxiety with riding to work, but I just bucked up and did it without any problems!
Pretty dense fog most of the way, luckily i was on trails through most of it.
Hey, congratulations on the first time! No matter what happens, (except bad weather) stick with it for at least two weeks. You'll get your routine and packing refined. Your legs won't be sore any more, and you'll have a lot more energy.
Old 05-05-10, 03:32 PM
Chalupa102

Bikes: Catrike Trail Recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty good commute at 78F and sunny with winds from the SW @ 11mph. It took a little longer because they were doing road work on one of the streets that i was taking and had to use a detour around. Still quite a bit of debris and sticks in the roads. Had something interesting happen about 1/2 through the ride though. I'm not sure if i hit something or not, but my front fender ended up getting folded between the wheel and itself. It almost stopped me dead when it happened. I pulled over and fixed it pretty quick. Luckly there was no major damage to the fender or wheel. While i was fixing it another cyclist w/ a road bike went by heading the same way i was. I got going and was about 30 sec behind him but he turned left at the stop sign and i kept going straight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4460..jpg (94.5 KB, 5 views)
IMG_4457..jpg (95.1 KB, 6 views)
IMG_4461..jpg (93.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-05-10, 05:17 PM
Brando_T.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EKW in DC
Good luck. BTW, I think that's always the way it is w/ fenders. Get 'em installed and it doesn't rain for a couple weeks. I had to wait a while to give mine a proper test.
Yeah, major thunderstorm on the way home. Fenders worked great, but realized I broke off the "shift down" lever on my old suntour shifter in this morning's fall.

Question, not worthy of it's own thread: Biking in a thunderstorm...seems like a bad idea to me, and i sought cover during the worst of it, but lots of other cyclists kept on truckin'. Thoughts?
Old 05-05-10, 05:52 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Question, not worthy of it's own thread: Biking in a thunderstorm...seems like a bad idea to me, and i sought cover during the worst of it, but lots of other cyclists kept on truckin'. Thoughts?
if you do a search you'll find some threads on this subject. (look in road biking/touring as well as commuting). In a nutshell, hopefully, most people are aware that the "rubber tires" theory of "insulation" is a myth. Unless you're on a carbon fiber bike you're pretty much riding around on what amounts to sitting in a steel folding chair or an aluminum lawn chair in a lightning storm- not really the best of ideas.

If you are in big city, like NYC, and riding on narrow streets between big buildings you're less likely to get struck than if you are riding along the river on an open stretch of bike path. Granted the chance of getting struck in almost any case is pretty small but reducing the odds is not a bad idea. States like Florida, that get a lot of storms, and have a lot of open flat space have a higher incidence of lightning strikes of people. Perhaps the greater risks to cyclists during thunderstorms come from reduced visibility for both the cyclist and motorists, blowing debris, falling trees and branches and flash flooding. Add all that to lightning and it's probably a good idea in most cases to take shelter when a thunderstorm passes. I think people who continue to ride in a bad storm tend to do so either out of ignorance, machismo, willingness to risk and gamble or are in such a hurry they just don't give a crap about getting struck by lightning.

For me today was a great weather day. Pretty much not a cloud in the sky and temperature in the mid 70's. I stopped at the par-course fitness area along the bike path and did a little workout- never did that before- that was cool.
Old 05-05-10, 08:04 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
The closest I've ever been to a lightning strike was right here in NYC. It was on the day of the Escape NY century and the remnants of Hurricane Hugo were coming through. The start was at 122nd Street and Riverside, I made it up to about 135th when the rain started coming down in buckets. By the time I got to 140th I was totally soaked, then the lightning started. One bolt came down that clearly hit ground, in the vicinity of 122nd. It scared the hell out of me. The ride was cancelled at that point. Nobody was hurt. I waited under an awning for about a half an hour when I decided to make a dash to the subway. I was dripping wet in the 15 seconds or so I was out there. When I sat down on the train the water squished out of my padded shorts. EEEEWWWWWWWW.
Old 05-05-10, 08:11 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
As for my commute today, this was my 5th commute from Brooklyn to the Grand Central area of Manhattan. It is 10 miles each way and takes about an hour, give or take depending on the lights. Today was a beautiful day, but a bit windy, in my face of course, on the way home. The commuting is getting easier as I do it more. I've figured out an easy way to secure my backpack to my rack without any additional hardware, just the one specially made Blackburn cord for the rack. I'm still figuring out the best commuting clothes, and I still don't have a shower. My route takes me up two hills, and I try to take it easy up them so I don't get too sweaty. On days without perfect weather I still take the subway as I've done for 40+ years.

Best of all though is that I'm only in traffic for the final 2 miles. Most of the trip is either in bike lanes or totally separate paths and it is still pretty much direct. And those last two miles are on the cities hit list for adding bike lanes. They are pretty quick about it once they decide.
Old 05-05-10, 11:26 PM
undisputed83

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M-1, 1991 Raleigh Technium (Commuter)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never enjoy my commute in because I'm always running late... and have to try to go as fast as I can without sweating my sack off. I got out at 11pm tonight... which is my usual time... and I kinda got into a stand off with a ****** bag co worker... so the ride home was actually a good way to blow off steam from that situation... and it was still 55 degrees out, which is perfect for me.
Old 05-06-10, 05:52 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cloudy. Damp pavement but no rain. ~50F. Saw one regular rider-ette going the other way. Nobody riding my way.

Everything smells great. Spring.
Old 05-06-10, 06:33 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Busy day on Wednesday. Commuted to work and back and then loaded up 3 kayaks on my truck to go paddling for 2 hours after work. The weather was beautiful for cycling and paddling, sunny, warm and not too humid or windy. It is a lot warmer and more humid today, nearly 70 F on my morning commute with the afternoon high supposed to top 90.
Old 05-06-10, 07:07 AM
mskibinski
Skibby

Bikes: 2009 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Specialized Allez Pro, 2010 Trek Top Fuel 9.8, 2003 Stumpjumper FSR, 1998 Raleigh M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better commute this morning than Tuesday, when I had 3 flats. Noticed the tire had a little cut in it on Tuesday when I got home. Changed the tire out last night and had no problems this morning. 49 F this moring with a headwind of 12 mph combined with 30 miles of riding made it a good workout this morning. Looking forward to a projected tailwind on the way home. I thought Cheyenne, WY was the windiest place on earth until I moved to West Michigan.
Old 05-06-10, 07:51 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I have got to the point I dont post unless it is a great ride, but today's ride in was absolutely great. Temp was 54 degrees (perfect), a few lingering puddles from storms around midnight, no breeze, stars, Birds, clean air, little traffic, sunrise about the time I rolled up to work. Bet the ride home aint like that.
Old 05-06-10, 08:05 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, major thunderstorm on the way home. Fenders worked great, but realized I broke off the "shift down" lever on my old suntour shifter in this morning's fall.

Glad you got to try out the fenders! As for thunderstorms, I'll ride if it's only thunder or if the flashes are far enough away. Count between lightning and thunder... you know. I'll stop if the storm seems too close and there's a place to do so. Along my commute, largely MUP, there really isn't anywhere to take shelter except under trees and that's a dicy proposition in a storm, too. In a word, I generally keep going unless my instincts tell me I better get to a safer place somehow.

Great ride in this AM. There were a slight tailwind and more riders than I usually enounter (I came to work early today so I can leave in time to get to my pedicab gig tonight), which made the silly commuter racing game a little more fun.

Starting in seven hours I get to make $ for riding a bike!

In other fun, commuting-related news, DC's Bike to Work Day is May 21. I hung a sign on the door to my department's office, in the lunchroom, and by the bike parking area in the basement. I figured it as mostly a way to let fellow commuters know they could get a free t-shirt, etc., and to maybe get a couple of them to sign up as a result. Well, to my pleasant surprise, one of the custodians in the building (who doesn't really speak any English) had taken note of the sign and wanted to give it a try. He came to my office yesterday w/ another custodian as a translator and I registered him online for the event. Yay!
Old 05-06-10, 08:27 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I overslept and drove today. I just heard that a cyclist has been hit along my route.

(I actually take a slightly different route to avoid traffic, but I have taken the route in question in the past.)

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-06-10, 08:37 AM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
1C and fairly calm. First cycle commute in over a week. I don't feel too bad about that because (1) this past Saturday I rode a week and a half's worth of commuting miles (200 km brevet) and (2) we had 5 inches of snow on Tuesday. The snow is disappearing quickly but the gravel trails are still sloppy. Saw only 2 other cyclists out this morning.
Old 05-06-10, 08:52 AM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Humid ride this morning but I felt good--stopped at the chiropractor on the way in and could feel the difference in my lower back.

As I arrived at the bike rack the other guy who commutes was just walking towards the building. We hadn't me before so we stopped and chatted. His ride is longer than mine (8 miles vs 5) and heavier traffic. He rides a hybrid with knobby tires. He must be working hard on that ride as it's pretty hilly.

The downside of running into him was that I had to wait for the shower and he took quite a while.

Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
Old 05-06-10, 10:00 AM
sseaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 40 minute ride near the house, working from home again due to flooding. Weather was nice and sunny.
Old 05-06-10, 11:01 AM
drew3

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ride home last night was great weather wise, but the MUP is getting really crowded in the afternoons. it's still relatively cool here in seattle, but i swear when spring is even hinted at the population seems to grow ten fold. no idea where all these people are in the winter...

today would have been good riding weather but i'm taking the day off to let my legs rest, i'm experiencing a little pain in my right knee, not sure what the deal is. i've been pretty active my whole life and never really had any knee issues, so this is concerning. i'm experimenting with moving my saddle around a little to try to eliminate the discomfort. it's not so bad that i can't ride, just trying to nip this is the bud asap.
Old 05-06-10, 08:33 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I took a two week break from riding. Actually, I had to take the family to California for a family thing. In-N-out was just as good as I remembered. I came back to Montana for some Montana snow and cold on my commute (30F). I can't wait to retire and head to Arizona.
Old 05-07-10, 05:51 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glorious sunshine. High 40sF. A quartering tailwind, but not enough to notice. Saw some people riding the other way. I reeled in a woman on a hybrid with panniers. She was doing about 15MPH so I didn't pass. I kept getting glints of red in my mirror. Eventually I did a head check, and sure enough, something was bearing down on us. Having rested for a mile or so, I bolted. Passed the woman and sprinted. Eventually I left the MUP, got to the first red light in town, and stopped. The light turned green and red guy was about a block behind me. I took off up the 2-block hill to my office and didn't see him again.

TGIF!
Old 05-07-10, 06:28 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Freakin' gorgeous. 70 with a tailwind of about 15 mph. During the day the will shift around and I'll have the same tailwind pushing me home, with temps in the low 80s. Today may be the best commuting weather, EVAR.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.