Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My riding partner is some kind of Fred?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My riding partner is some kind of Fred?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 08:43 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wooooooooshhhhhhhh
Old 04-05-12, 08:46 PM
Kurogashi
DessertS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I remember doing this when I first started. I would be on my mountain bike - and oh so proud drafting behind roadies. Then one day, one guy pulled over and laughed at me. After that, I stopped, and got myself my own road bike.
Old 04-05-12, 08:57 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh c'mon, it's fun every now and then. However, I don't agree with the drafting part. I hate when other people over-take me when I am intentionally going slow, then when I pass them they turn it in to a competition. When I drop them up hill they give up, which is no fun--at least try!
Old 04-05-12, 09:20 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I'd encourage him for at least a few more rides, tell him that you're really impressed w/ his "racing" skills, etc --- seems like you should be able to get at least a few more laughs out of his behavior.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 04-05-12, 10:28 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why ya'll act as if these accidents happen only when one is drafting against someone's will or only to strangers. Pro cycling is full of crashes because riders draft each other. Nobody is talking about sneaking behind someone and draft them without them knowing. If a rider is cocky enough to pass me but not strong enough to drop me then he should have stayed behind me and enjoyed the draft. Now that you are in front I am going to suck the hell out of your wheel.
Old 04-05-12, 11:04 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Confused by some of the responses to this thread. If you sit on my wheel I would expect at some point for you to pull through, simple ride etiquette, if not I will slow the pace and alter route as I have nothing to prove. I wouldn't bother to brake check as I don't want anyone crashing me.
Could I drop you if I wanted? Depends, does your license have a P on it?
Old 04-05-12, 11:11 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
Confused by some of the responses to this thread. If you sit on my wheel I would expect at some point for you to pull through, simple ride etiquette, if not I will slow the pace and alter route as I have nothing to prove. I wouldn't bother to brake check as I don't want anyone crashing me.
Yep, if someone is drafting me unannounced for more than, say ~1 minute, I just sit up/ turn it down a notch or two and let them pass. Really don't see the point in "dropping them", brake checking or doing them any favors.

Based on the brakecheckers and wheelsuckers in this thread, it's no wonder there's so many a-holes behind the wheel of 3,500lb vehicles as well.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."

Last edited by celticfrost; 04-05-12 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 11:14 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha that made me laugh. I get the same thing in the car. I drive quick and I'll be cruising past some at 85-90. All of a sudden they speed up and ride my ass. If you wanted to go that fast why not do it on your own d-bag?
Old 04-05-12, 11:24 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkwaki
Etiquette shmetiquette. Since you have P on your license you must have noticed that Tome Boonen draft the hell out of Alessandro Ballan before he dropped his ass right at the last 100 yards to finish first at this year’s Tour de Flanders.
Old 04-05-12, 11:31 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Etiquette shmetiquette. Since you have P on your license you must have noticed that Tome Boonen draft the hell out of Alessandro Ballan before he dropped his ass right at the last 100 yards to finish first at this year’s Tour de Flanders.
Little different set of circumstances.
Flanders vs training ride. Pro vs freds. I can guarantee that in our group of riders if someone latches on they are going to do a little work.
When racing I will conserve energy based on the flow of the race but in all instances there is a sense of accomplishment when working on a ride.
Old 04-05-12, 11:34 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
I really hope that you're being sarcastic. Either that or the Lance-wannabe rants espoused by every redneck just may be true.

Please don't let the rednecks be right -- not even once.
Old 04-06-12, 04:12 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Drafting is a team effort. The rider in front has to know how to react just as the rider in the back does. It requires practice. It still is risky, but faster with a team. In a race the risk is accepted, same for a well operating pace line. Everyone works together and knows what to expect.
Riding close behind another rider when they don't know how to react, or even if they don't know you are there (!!!) is just tailgating. It is hugely uninformed. If the front rider slams on the brakes you could knock him down as you hit hit him hard.

Again, this has nothing to do with attitude, being polite, or friendly. Nothing...........nothing.....you are putting the front rider in danger of a serious accident.

The laws of physics have not been changed. You can hit him hard and hurt him. You have no right to put another rider in a dangerous situation just because you don't know what you are doing.
Just as tailgating in a car is very dangerous, that's why it's illegal. You are putting the one in front in serious danger too.
Recreational riders drafting strangers, because they see others do it, is either lack of knowledge of lack of skill. Don't do it. It is dumb !!! It's just monkey see monkey do.
Draft me without telling me and I'm pissed at your selfish uninformed idiocy. I should be, you have it coming. I might be polite, but I know you are putting me in danger. I did not give you permission to do that.
You give me permission? Who are you? Wait a minute. I don't care. What an absurd post. Just goes to show how convoluted thinking can be. You don't own the road or a single space out on it. Life is a chess game. You can not control others nor do you know if the guy drafting you is a talented racer who just did 100 miles and wants to take a break from the wind.
Since your post is frought with ridiculous assumptions and you need a little help, as one poster said adroitly...all you have to do is sit up on your bike and slow down and let the drafter pass and he or she will. If your ego can't take that, then suffer the consequences. All you have to do. Same thing when driving 2 tons of steel out on the road...or riding a motorcycle if you can't stay out of harms way. Pull over if you aren't willing to block the wind for strangers or if you feel you are in such danger. You can't control other people nor do you know their propensity to ride which is likely much greater than yours.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-06-12 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-06-12, 04:17 AM
curly666

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK I'm fairly new here, what's the 41 and 33 you talk about?
Old 04-06-12, 04:19 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by celticfrost
Yep, if someone is drafting me unannounced for more than, say ~1 minute, I just sit up/ turn it down a notch or two and let them pass. Really don't see the point in "dropping them", brake checking or doing them any favors.

Based on the brakecheckers and wheelsuckers in this thread, it's no wonder there's so many a-holes behind the wheel of 3,500lb vehicles as well.
Perfectly said. I have met some great guys and girls out on the road...some fast and some slow and have pulled for my share of 'strangers' and caught the wheel of a few I shouldn't have. I remember catching the wheel of one guy and he was flying...pulling consistently at 25mph. I couldn't pull at the speed for a long distance...he was perfectly fine pulling and a great guy as well. After riding a long when I was just trying to hang with the guy and we were about 3 miles out from the end of the ride, the guy said back to me...what do you say we take it up a notch into the house? I told 'em...if we did, I was afraid I was going to cough up another body part. He just laughed and took off. Its part of the fun of riding.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-06-12 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-06-12, 04:46 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
You give me permission? Who are you? Wait a minute. I don't care. What an absurd post. Just goes to show how convoluted thinking can be. You don't own the road or a single space out on it. Life is a chess game. You can not control others nor do you know if the guy drafting you is a talented racer who just did 100 miles and wants to take a break from the wind.
Frankly I don't care why someone is tailgating me. If they just rode 100 miles and want a break from the wind they are being just as antisocial as if they are fresh and feel like a free ride to get them warmed up. I can't control how close someone is behind me but I can control how fast we go in such an arrangement.

Since your post is frought with ridiculous assumptions and you need a little help, as one poster said adroitly...all you have to do is sit up on your bike and slow down and let the drafter pass and he or she will. If your ego can't take that, then suffer the consequences. All you have to do. Same thing when driving 2 tons of steel out on the road...or riding a motorcycle if you can't stay out of harms way. Pull over if you aren't willing to block the wind for strangers or if you feel you are in such danger. You can't control other people nor do you know their propensity to ride which is likely much greater than yours.
If someone tailgates me in my car it's not my job to pull over to let the asshat past, it's for the person who wants to go faster to overtake when it's safe. If in the meantime they put my safety in danger by being an ass they can look forward to a lesson in patience. If you want to go faster than me then overtake - my ego can handle being overtaken whether I'm in my car or on my bike and whatever is overtaking. If you want to put my life in danger to save yourself a few seconds I'll treat you like the asshat you're being, which will probably include slowing until you take the hint and either back off or overtake.
Old 04-06-12, 05:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I didn't know there were militant stealth wheelsuckers. Learn something new every day.
Old 04-06-12, 06:20 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you're going to follow my wheel unannounced, there are a few things you should know:

1) If I don't know you're back there, there's a very good chance you'll get pasted with a snot rocket.
2) If I don't know you're back there, I won't be pointing out road hazards.
3) Every time I'm on my bike, I have a plan. Long, sustained efforts are reserved for group rides and the occasional race. So if you're trying to use the opportunity to guage your progress or where you stand with "real roadies", you've chosen a poor way to do it. I'm either at endurance pace, recovery pace, or doing intervals.
4) If I happen to be doing intervals, I will make sudden accelerations and then back off. This has nothing to do with you and what you are doing. I'm not "racing".

If you want to be sociable, pull up and be sociable. Depending upon what I'm doing, I may be up for that. If you want to find out where you are with the local fast guys and don't know if you're ready to race, show up for the Wednesday night group ride. Saturday is a good ride too, it's longer but isn't as aggressive.

And finally, male cyclists stealth wheelsucking female cyclists is just plain creepy.
Old 04-06-12, 07:20 AM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed

And finally, male cyclists stealth wheelsucking female cyclists is just plain creepy.
what about couples wearing matching attire and / or matching bikes?
Old 04-06-12, 07:30 AM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerundium
what about couples wearing matching attire and / or matching bikes?
Based on careful observation, this demographic is not capable of sucking wheels.
Old 04-06-12, 07:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by lol headwind
Yes, you have never seen peddle mashing like it.
Originally Posted by RUOkie
41'd it for you
No, no - I've given it the proper 41 treatment.
Old 04-06-12, 07:57 AM
curly666

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, no - I've given it the proper 41 treatment.
OK, I'm dumb, what 41 treatment mean?
Old 04-06-12, 08:00 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by curly666
OK I'm fairly new here, what's the 41 and 33 you talk about?
41 is the numeric value to the road section on BF, 33 is racing. Its in the web address when you go there
Code:
https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/41-Road-Cycling
Old 04-06-12, 08:17 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Good to see the obligatory Tough Guys are here - "I'll brake check you and make you crash for daring to do something that has very minimal impact on my safety* and which, while not polite, isn't illegal either".

*You do know that the guy who's drafting is the one who's going to crash if he tangles up the wheels, right?
exactly. I don't draft strangers, but it doesn't upset me if someone does it to me. Some people just need to relax a little and enjoy the ride. If you are on a MUP, you have to realize that there are all kinds or riders out, some experienced, some new, some over-zealous, immature riders just starting to get some legs. It goes with the territory.
Old 04-06-12, 08:22 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What's with all the passive aggression? You are on a bike. There is no windows or anything between you. Talk. If you want to be left alone, then say as much. Ease a notch, let them go past since they were obviously going faster than you to get onto your wheel. But, hell, it's kind of fun to find someone else on a ride and ride with them. Ride two up for a while and chat. If you are doing intervals, ask if he wants to join.

And if you are so oblivious to their presence that you don't hear them on your wheel, then, well, no harm no foul.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 04-06-12, 08:24 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This subject seems to come up at least once every year. It's not cool to grab a random wheel without saying something. Just like you don't sit at someone else's table at a restaurant.

If someone is going to latch on to my wheel at least say "Hey!". I ride dirty lines and narrow pothole edges when by myself. Sometimes I hop junk on the road. So if I have an unannounced drafter who is not riding with me I will not point and they are on their own. If I don't want a drafter on my wheel I sit up and let them pass. Either way it's not a good practice and poor manners to latch on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.