Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Weird fit phenomenon.

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Weird fit phenomenon.

Old 06-20-13, 04:37 PM
lungimsam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Weird fit phenomenon.

I have three bikes.

One is a Giant Defy 3. The way it is set up I am comfortable. Bars 1.5cm below saddle.
Saddle level and in KOPS. Works great.

The other two are Rivendell road bikes.
I have tried the bars in many upright set up configurations, and hurt after rides. Saddle fore/aft in KOPS.
Numb arm, hurting neck, back. Lasts for days.
Anything with bars above saddle height and my back hurts. I haven't tried them lower like the Giant yet.

I wanted to ride more upright for a better view on the Rivendells. But something always hurts for a day or two after riding them.

Is it normal to be so locked into one fit, like I have on the Giant bike that you can't ride in any other position?
Old 06-20-13, 04:38 PM
lungimsam

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ps- I still have to try the bars on the Rivendells like the Giant and see if that works out.
Old 06-20-13, 09:40 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I find that I ride with my saddle in a different position on my Terry which has sparrow bars and an upright position in contrast to my road bike. The saddle is pushed back much more on the Terry. So, I guess you can't assume KOPS is right for the Rivendell.
Old 06-20-13, 10:06 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A couple times, I've had different bikes, with slightly different positions; both were set up 'properly', but because of different geometry, they rode differently. One always was comfy, the other a PITA. Thus, it never lasted.

It's why I do one bike owned at a time.
Old 06-20-13, 10:07 PM
lungimsam

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
They are all drop bar bikes, and I have tried many different saddle fore/aft setups on the Rivs. I think I have narrowed it down to these things that are causing the pains I am getting: 1. If handlebar height is above saddle height at any level = low back pain. At or below saddle height = no low back pain. 2. Handlebar too low or too long reach = left neck and left arm pain/numbness. Now I will try to set the Rivs up as close to relative Giant bar height and reach as possible and see if that brings me into a nice comfy position like I get on the Giant. It just seems like such a narrow window; bars at or below saddle height by 0-2cm with 60-61cm reach to deepest part of hoods. Anything else seems to result in pain. Is that unusual that the body would have this little tolerance for any other position on a bike? Maybe I need to see a doctor.
Old 06-21-13, 12:09 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by lungimsam
...Is that unusual that the body would have this little tolerance for any other position on a bike?...
Its OK - Your not getting old...