Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Wheelset

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Wheelset

Old 02-23-16, 06:21 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 60 Posts
I'd say to go with a set of new wheels, for the same reasons as above, warranty. You cannot be sure about things that are not readily visible, in both the rims and the spokes, not to mention the freehub. I recently got a set of Fulcrum Racing7 LG, from Ribble, I chose to stick with that make and model after having such great performance from my first set. the only reason I had to go to a new set was the 11-speed upgrade requiring a compatible wheelset. My first/original set of R7 are still true and the tension is spot on, after 3 years of daily use, and just over 16,000 miles, they are awaiting use on my next build right now.

Up to you to make the choice, you can find the wheelset that you really are sold on, even if it means waiting a bit, in order to have the money, or you can get a lesser product, that is a "been used" item. Best of luck on your choice.

One last thought, try Psimet, Custom Bicycle Wheels - Hand Built Carbon and Aluminum Wheels - PSIMET : PSIMET Custom Wheels for a wheelset quote on some handbuilt, new wheels. Rob makes some dead on good wheels, he won't try to sell you more than you need, and he is a super guy to work with. I am seriously considering getting a quote on a set of 36h wheels from him, for a build I am considering doing.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 02-23-16 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 08:35 AM
timmbo

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.9ssl (brand new 12/30/15)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife needed a new set of wheels and her request was something lighter. Jensen USA has the Shimano RS81-24 for under $500 with shipping included! We decided to give those a shot, should be a nice upgrade from the Bontrager Race wheels she had stock on her bike. I thought the price was good for a wheel that sits between the Ultegra and the Dura-Ace.
Old 02-23-16, 10:59 AM
tjk23 

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so here's the update. I ended up buying a set of Fulcrum Racing Ones with 2 way fit from a member of another forum. I should have them tomorrow and ride this weekend.
Old 02-23-16, 07:23 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
Then spend just a little more and go with November wheels. November Bicycles: Race smart. - Nimbus Ti Select

When I upgrade my disc Cross bike, I'll likely go with their wheels. All the components are reliable, well known, and easy to find parts for.
I have three sets of their wheels, quite happy with the purchase and they get tons of abuse and miles.
Old 02-23-16, 07:36 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjk23 View Post
I have a set of Boyds right now and they have been great, but the upgrade from what I have is $700.
Are the rims damaged? I also have a set of the original altamont's and toying with having them re-strung with a set of DT Swiss 240s hubs I picked up. Why not just put new hubs on them?
Old 02-23-16, 08:19 PM
tjk23 

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rims aren't damaged just old, they are the first edition. I plan on keeping them to use on the trainer.
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
Are the rims damaged? I also have a set of the original altamont's and toying with having them re-strung with a set of DT Swiss 240s hubs I picked up. Why not just put new hubs on them?