Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle storage in San Francisco

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 10:52 AM
Jaz123

Bikes: '09 Specialized Ruby Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently moved and discovered that my landlord will not allow me to store my bike in the garage which really puts me in a bind because I really wanted to ride to places instead of walking or taking the bus. I live in Central Richmond district and couldn't find any alternative bicycle parking. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do so that I can still ride without needing to store my bike somewhere far?

Also, let me know if you know of any fun places to ride around in SF!
Old 09-05-17, 11:42 AM
carl7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Might get more responses in the Norcal forum.
Old 09-05-17, 12:12 PM
jbw57

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 3 / 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How about indoors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike in familyroom.jpg (53.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 09-05-17, 12:19 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Seems harsh that the landlord won't let you keep it in the garage. if you can't keep it inside, I'd offer an extra monthly fee to have one little corner of the garage to hang a bike.
Old 09-05-17, 12:51 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
When you signed the lease, did it include space in the garage? If so, did the lease specifically state no bikes in that space? I don't recommend getting all legal about it, but you might point out that signed the lease expecting, naturally, that you could put garage-type things (like a bike) in the garage. But then perhaps ask him/her why they don't want your bike the garage. At least if the lease does not proscribe bikes, and does include garage space, you'd have an argument that you should be able to put a bike in there.

If its space, perhaps they'd be ok if you put hooks in the garage ceiling and hang the bike - no floor space taken.
If it's concern over scratching up their car, or other tenant's cars, perhaps you can figure out a way to ensure that doesn't happen, or you could pay a bit extra.
But find out.

As far as other parking in san fran, I think jbw57's note is about the only other option. Unless your work has bike storage lockers - but businesses don't like folks to use these for long term.
Old 09-05-17, 03:24 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
You don't want to leave your bike in a shared garage. It's only a matter of time before it goes missing. Or pieces of it vanish. Find a spot for it somewhere in your apt and schlep the thing in and out as necessary. Pain in the butt, I know, but you'll keep your ride.

Landlord doesn't want it in the garage so he won't have to deal with the inevitable.

-Kedosto
Old 09-05-17, 04:48 PM
Jaz123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't keep it inside the building at all otherwise I would totally shlep it up and down. The family is really particular about things like cleanliness and space--no one except them is allowed to use the garage. They don't want holes in the wall. My roommates say it's just so they can flex their power. There's nothing in the lease from what I can tell that says the Landlord can kick me out if I bring my bike in but maybe I'll have other people read to see. I think if I really argued I can probably get them to agree to put it in the garage but I'm not sure how to approach it right now.

Thanks for the responses! It was a big blow to find out I can't ride my bike whenever I want.

Originally Posted by tyrion
Seems harsh that the landlord won't let you keep it in the garage. if you can't keep it inside, I'd offer an extra monthly fee to have one little corner of the garage to hang a bike.
Mind if I message you about possibly renting a small corner if you live close by?
Old 09-05-17, 05:37 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Or suggest landlord watches "Pacific Heights".

scott s.
Old 09-05-17, 07:08 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaz123

Mind if I message you about possibly renting a small corner if you live close by?
I don't live in SF now. I'd put an ad in craigslist to see if anyone close by will rent you a sliver of a garage. Or get a self storage place. I don't know if you've figured out the SF's bus system yet, but the Geary bus runs 24/7, and you usually don't have to wait more than 10 minutes for one, so (assuming you live close to Geary) you'd have fairly easy access to any storage place close to that line.
Old 09-05-17, 07:50 PM
tnburban

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm confused. Are you not allowed to bring it into your apartment? My oldest lives in Minneapolis and had one bike disappear. He now keeps his new bike in his apartment. He's on the 7th floor and just takes it up and down the elevator. Does your complex not have an elevator?
Old 09-05-17, 08:10 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts

Also, let me know if you know of any fun places to ride around in SF!
Go across the GG Bridge. There's Chrissy Field too. The Presidio is also a good place to ride. If you have a car go more northwards of the City and there are tons of trails. If you're ever south of the City, let me know. We have a lot here too.
Old 09-05-17, 10:27 PM
Jaz123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tnburban
I'm confused. Are you not allowed to bring it into your apartment? My oldest lives in Minneapolis and had one bike disappear. He now keeps his new bike in his apartment. He's on the 7th floor and just takes it up and down the elevator. Does your complex not have an elevator?
I live in a multi-family home and the landlord's parents live below us. The stairwell is pretty tight if I don't want to mark up the walls but it's out on the balcony now after I snuck it in and will probably stay there for awhile unfortunately.

Originally Posted by tyrion
I don't live in SF now. I'd put an ad in craigslist to see if anyone close by will rent you a sliver of a garage. Or get a self storage place. I don't know if you've figured out the SF's bus system yet, but the Geary bus runs 24/7, and you usually don't have to wait more than 10 minutes for one, so (assuming you live close to Geary) you'd have fairly easy access to any storage place close to that line.
I've posted awhile back on CL but no responses. I was going to use the bike to commute around because parking is such a pain but yea the buses come pretty often. I asked a person at the bike shop about this and they suggested I either ask to pay another deposit for possible damage to the walls or use a bike bag so they might not know what's in the bag and it won't mark up the walls. The parents might soften to the idea later once I gain their trust.

Originally Posted by scott967
Or suggest landlord watches "Pacific Heights".
Haven't seen it but read the plot and sounds pretty gruesome .

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Go across the GG Bridge. There's Chrissy Field too. The Presidio is also a good place to ride. If you have a car go more northwards of the City and there are tons of trails. If you're ever south of the City, let me know. We have a lot here too.
Thanks for the suggestions! I was just down yesterday when visiting Butano State Park and saw a lot of cyclists out on CA 1! Looked like a nice ride.
Old 09-07-17, 04:58 AM
RECfromPA

Bikes: 2016 Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, 2017 Handsome Cycles She-Devil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was going to use the bike to commute around because parking is such a pain but yea the buses come pretty often. I asked a person at the bike shop about this and they suggested I either ask to pay another deposit for possible damage to the walls or use a bike bag so they might not know what's in the bag and it won't mark up the walls. The parents might soften to the idea later once I gain their trust.
Sounds like some good suggestions here. I do agree that one they gain your trust and like you, it will be easier for them to say yes. That will take a few months- be a great renter.

How much would bus commute cost you per month-100? That could be the deposit and you'd be ahead after 1 month.

Space an issue? My bike is in a long hallway into my place and I had to turn sideways to get around the handlebar. I bought a bike storage unit that leans against the wall and stores one bike over the other. I stored the bike on the upper hook. Bike is now out of the way, even though it's really in the same spot. Damage potential? - I like the bike bag suggestion, too.

You said you put an ad in craigslist. Look in craigslist under housing--parking/storage for other people's ads. Put a note in neighbors doorsteps asking about renting a sliver in their area. I live in the city and have a parking spot. I get notes about people asking if it's available for rent.
Old 09-07-17, 08:34 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
They make free standing bike racks that won't put holes in the wall. Stand up for your rights.
Old 09-07-17, 08:42 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I recently moved and discovered that my landlord will not allow me to store my bike in the garage which really puts me in a bind because I really wanted to ride to places instead of walking or taking the bus. I live in Central Richmond district and couldn't find any alternative bicycle parking. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do so that I can still ride without needing to store my bike somewhere far?
Store your bike in your living space. Bedroom, livingroom, kitchen, etc.
Old 09-07-17, 09:13 PM
Jaz123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RECfromPA
Sounds like some good suggestions here. I do agree that one they gain your trust and like you, it will be easier for them to say yes. That will take a few months- be a great renter.

How much would bus commute cost you per month-100? That could be the deposit and you'd be ahead after 1 month.

Space an issue? My bike is in a long hallway into my place and I had to turn sideways to get around the handlebar. I bought a bike storage unit that leans against the wall and stores one bike over the other. I stored the bike on the upper hook. Bike is now out of the way, even though it's really in the same spot. Damage potential? - I like the bike bag suggestion, too.

You said you put an ad in craigslist. Look in craigslist under housing--parking/storage for other people's ads. Put a note in neighbors doorsteps asking about renting a sliver in their area. I live in the city and have a parking spot. I get notes about people asking if it's available for rent.

Those are some good ideas, thanks!
Old 09-07-17, 09:18 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I'd offer you a spot for free in my bike storage room, but I'm about 13 miles south of you and probably too far.
Old 09-09-17, 11:48 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Get a folding bike and a carry bag cover. You can find good ones that ride really well (Bike Friday, Moulton, Ive, Pacific Reach Birdy) unlike some that have hinges in the main tube. Sell your current bike to pay for it. Then, when you move and get a landlord who is not an a-hole, you can decide whether to get a standard bike again.

The other option is to offer your landlord a special security deposit against any damage caused by the bike being transported up the stairs or placed in the apartment. You can get free standing floor stands so you don't have to screw anything to walls. Easiest thing is to set one behind a sofa to minimize space use; get folding pedals or removable ones (MKS makes some nice ones). Rotate your handlebars. done.
Old 09-10-17, 09:38 PM
Jaz123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
I'd offer you a spot for free in my bike storage room, but I'm about 13 miles south of you and probably too far.
Yea unfortunately too far but thanks for the generous thought!

Originally Posted by linberl
Get a folding bike and a carry bag cover. You can find good ones that ride really well (Bike Friday, Moulton, Ive, Pacific Reach Birdy) unlike some that have hinges in the main tube. Sell your current bike to pay for it. Then, when you move and get a landlord who is not an a-hole, you can decide whether to get a standard bike again.

The other option is to offer your landlord a special security deposit against any damage caused by the bike being transported up the stairs or placed in the apartment. You can get free standing floor stands so you don't have to screw anything to walls. Easiest thing is to set one behind a sofa to minimize space use; get folding pedals or removable ones (MKS makes some nice ones). Rotate your handlebars. done.
Landlord is definitely an a-hole as described by my roommates. But that's actually a pretty good idea if I find carry it up and down the stairs is too much work. I have space in my room to store my bike and might be a nice display piece when I'm not using it. I've decided that it's way too suffocating for me to not ride my bike since find parking has been a not so fun experience so I end up not doing the things I want.