Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Someone tried to hit me today

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Someone tried to hit me today

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 02:41 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it very helpful to communicate with drivers, including encouraging them to pass when it's safe for them to do so. Some drivers just get deer-in-headlights-stoopid when a cyclist is in traffic, and a little wave can do wonders.

YMMV
Old 09-08-17, 03:09 PM
carl7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
I find it very helpful to communicate with drivers, including encouraging them to pass when it's safe for them to do so. Some drivers just get deer-in-headlights-stoopid when a cyclist is in traffic, and a little wave can do wonders.

YMMV
Yeah, I do that as a matter of habit. Wave them go at stop signs etc. Especially stop light right turns, I make room, motion them to go around me and make the right. Most of them wave a thanks.
Old 09-08-17, 04:16 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carl7
Yeah, I do that as a matter of habit. Wave them go at stop signs etc. Especially stop light right turns, I make room, motion them to go around me and make the right. Most of them wave a thanks.
Me too, and if I obviously have right of way and am at the intersection well before them I always nod a thanks as I go through in front of them. It doesn't cost me anything and of course my head is turned in that direction anyway... Watching them like a Hawk!
Old 09-09-17, 07:41 AM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is a quote

Bicycles should stay off the road, ride only on the side walk. Trucks should not be allowed on the road during rush hour.
Old people should not be allowed on the road during rush hour. (Words of 2010 Prius owner with Utah Lic. Plate.)

Sadly I know this person
Old 09-10-17, 08:32 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
So we've established that the OP had a close encounter with a threatening motorist. Is there an actual solution to the problem?

Other than paying attention and maintaining a defensive cycling manner, probably not. And my greatest sympathy goes to Rachel, I am glad you are alive and unharmed.

This discussion has little need to go much longer though, it's already devolving IMO.
Old 09-10-17, 09:25 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
So we've established that the OP had a close encounter with a threatening motorist. Is there an actual solution to the problem?

Other than paying attention and maintaining a defensive cycling manner, probably not. And my greatest sympathy goes to Rachel, I am glad you are alive and unharmed.

This discussion has little need to go much longer though, it's already devolving IMO.
Yeah, I definitely try to keep my eyes open, which is probably why I noticed his nose go towards me and then back away. There's been times where I have right of way but some vehicle 100 times my weight starts to go for it and I have to practice defensive cycling. Defensive but still assertive, I don't stop at green lights because someone starts forward when he has green yield to oncoming traffic, I keep going while being prepared to stop or swerve if he doesn't get the message.

Though I still don't understand why people pass me on the right in a right turn only lane when there's a perfectly good lane to the left of me. Those are the hardest situations for me to be alert to and prepared for, someone darting back in front of me from the right.
Old 09-10-17, 11:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You can't be very assertive against a 1-2 ton car, really, you gotta stop. Them things aren't squishy.

There are cyclists you get nutsy over people stopping and waving them through as well. If everyone has the same idea, just go. You have been seen and acknowledged, make sure they know you are going and be prepared to change course in case, but when they all stop and sit there you are seen and acknowledged.

It bugs me too that people will take a two lane street and make an imaginary turn lane to go right, splitting around you and leaving you cut off. I want to use the crosswalk if I can.