Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

CHP: Hit-and-run driver intentionally struck four cyclists southwest of Petaluma

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

CHP: Hit-and-run driver intentionally struck four cyclists southwest of Petaluma

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 08:26 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I believe this was during today's Jensie Gran Fondo. A passing motorcyclist captured video of the suspect pickup truck and driver.
CHP: Hit-and-run driver intentionally struck four cyclists southwest of Petaluma | The Press Democrat -
Old 10-07-17, 08:45 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts
It is going to take a lot of work to lower the violence in this country. Speak up. Pay attention. Vote. Damn.

-D
Old 10-07-17, 09:21 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
More news coverage:
Four West Marin bicyclists injured when hit by vehicle; driver flees
Cyclists Struck By Point Reyes Hit-And-Run Driver « CBS San Francisco
Four Cyclists Injured in a Hit-and-Run in Marin County - NBC Bay Area
Old 10-07-17, 10:01 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Sounds like an ISIS attack.

Oh, wait, it is just cyclists, so it was probably an innocent mistake, or provoked, or somehow the fault of the victims.
Old 10-08-17, 08:53 AM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The CHP reported on their Facebook page that the driver was identified and taken into custody last night.
Old 10-08-17, 10:11 AM
carl7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now they have to make him pay the rest of his life. Hopefully the four injured lawsuits will do that.

Last edited by carl7; 10-08-17 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 10:16 AM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Driver Of Pickup Truck That Struck 4 Cyclists In Marin County Arrested « CBS San Francisco
Old 10-08-17, 11:35 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
also Hit-and-run driver suspected of plowing into Marin cyclists arrested - SFGate

The comments are always a delight.
Old 10-08-17, 08:36 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Good news that CHP tracked him down so quickly, now we have to see what the criminal justice system does with him. A $50k bond sounds pretty low for potentially 4 counts of attempted murder, ADW and felony hit and run.
Old 10-08-17, 08:52 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I was 10 minutes behind these guys... no fun to roll up on the scene.. being so close to the end of the ride. Jens himself was no more then 5 minutes behind me as well.
Old 10-08-17, 11:48 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Hopefully DA doesn't drop the ball.
Old 10-09-17, 10:24 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
All four cyclists involved were around 50 yo, 2 residing in Danville. Fortunate that motorcyclist captured the incident on his helmet cam; that made the CHP's job much easier. Maybe riding with a GoPro is not that silly afterall, ...though I don't know that I want a permanent record of myself getting wiped out on the road....
Old 10-09-17, 10:42 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Good news that CHP tracked him down so quickly, now we have to see what the criminal justice system does with him. A $50k bond sounds pretty low for potentially 4 counts of attempted murder, ADW and felony hit and run.
Hes charged (so far) only with felony hit and run. Possibly that may be upgraded to an assault ot more serious similar charge. But proving intent can be tough, so this may be the max.

However, at a minimum, the driver will be out what he paid for the bail bond (unless he had enough on his own) plus legal fees which won't be low. Then there will be civil suits, which may exceed his insurance limits, and potentially, the loss of his driver's license, and maybe even the loss of his county job and benefits. That's the very minimum, but a felony hit and run conviction carries up to a year in jail, or fines up to 10k. Not exactly stiff if there was unproven intent, but all in all enough to give folks pause.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-09-17, 10:46 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Any statement from Jens?
Old 10-09-17, 10:54 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Hes charged (so far) only with felony hit and run. Possibly that may be upgraded to an assault ot more serious similar charge. But proving intent can be tough, so this may be the max.

However, at a minimum, the driver will be out what he paid for the bail bond (unless he had enough on his own) plus legal fees which won't be low. Then there will be civil suits, which may exceed his insurance limits, and potentially, the loss of his driver's license, and maybe even the loss of his county job and benefits. That's the very minimum, but a felony hit and run conviction carries up to a year in jail, or fines up to 10k. Not exactly stiff if there was unproven intent, but all in all enough to give folks pause.

1. I didn't read that he posted bail... maybe he's still in lock-up.

2. The CHP officer said that it was intentional; I'd expect that would carry a lot of weight, plus if a jury looks at the video they too can make a determination. At the very least they could use that to get the perp to plea to something less.

3. And civil suits. Who knows how much exposure he or his family has in this... could lose his house.
Old 10-09-17, 11:11 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I read on the CHP Marin Facebook site (in comments, so take this FWIW) that this guy was arrested for hit and run and DUI in May. Also accounts there from other cyclists who've been threatened/close passed/flipped off by this guy. It's possible that he doesn't have a valid license and therefore no insurance. Hopefully his parents own the truck and have some assets to be claimed.
Old 10-09-17, 11:38 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
1. I didn't read that he posted bail... maybe he's still in lock-up.

2. The CHP officer said that it was intentional; I'd expect that would carry a lot of weight, plus if a jury looks at the video they too can make a determination. At the very least they could use that to get the perp to plea to something less.

3. And civil suits. Who knows how much exposure he or his family has in this... could lose his house.
I don't know if he posted bail, but I was talking about minimums, and consider sitting in jail to be worse. The intent issue would factor into more serious charges possibly to follow, but isn't relevant to the hit and run charge. Any impact on his family would turn on who owned the truck, otherwise they're not responsible for his actions.

In any case, I was laying out the MINIMUM consequences so far. The upside is wide open, especially if the prosecutor ( or grand jury) feels he can prove intent, opening the door to an assault or attempted murder charge.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-09-17, 11:48 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
The perp - oh, excuse me, the alleged perp - is Aaron Michael Paff, 21, of Novato. I hope the people Mr. Paff tried to kill - excuse me, allegedly tried to kill - recover fully, including emotionally. And I hope they are there in court to force this scum to face the human beings - not cyclists, not animals, but human beings - that he tried to kill.

I can't find where I read this, but I did read that among the charges he is facing are four counts of attempted vehicular homicide. I just did a quick-and-dirty search to see what this means. In California, vehicular homicide (meaning where you actually kill someone) could be charged as a misdemeanor with a sentence of up to one year in the county lockup or as a felony and up to six years in state prison. (I didn't see what the "attempted" part does to the sentencing options.) This needs to be charged as a felony.
Old 10-09-17, 05:18 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts
This guy is already out. 50,000 bail
Slept in his own bed last night.

-D
Old 10-09-17, 11:58 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Mommy and Daddy bailed their piece of **** son.