Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do people use rearview mirrors?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do people use rearview mirrors?

Old 10-10-17, 03:20 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not being sarcastic, this is an honest question for those who feel a mirror is not needed. How do you watch the road for rocks and broken glass and other hazards, keep your eye on the car waiting to make a left and the car in the side street to make sure you can react if they don't see you or mistime and you need to avoid a collision -and- keep an eye on the traffic behind you long enough for a car count, a speed estimate of each car, lane positioning and lane changes and making sure the guy coming up fast directly behind actually slows down in time without a mirror? With peripheral vision and a mirror I can do both safely. I don't see how I could watch so diligently to the rear and watch the road ahead without one.
Old 10-10-17, 04:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You count the cars behind you?

Anyway, to answer the question. I scan ahead and to the sides and occasionally look over my shoulder.

Last edited by caloso; 10-10-17 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 04:23 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh heck yes. I want to make sure I know where every vehicle is at any given moment. The more information I have on all vehicles around me, the more safe I am.

It only took one really bad rear-end accident for me to realize what is behind me is every bit as important as what is ahead of me.
Old 10-10-17, 04:43 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I tried the Take A Look mirror, but I couldn’t get use to it. Maybe I was looking over my shoulder to much, but after riding for a few hours I would have neck pain. I went to the handlebar end mirror, the spintech mirror . It’s ok but I can see a lot better with the Take A Look.
Old 10-10-17, 05:02 PM
carl7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rachel120
Oh heck yes. I want to make sure I know where every vehicle is at any given moment. The more information I have on all vehicles around me, the more safe I am.

It only took one really bad rear-end accident for me to realize what is behind me is every bit as important as what is ahead of me.
Probably more important Rachel because it'll come totally unexpected and if you get catapulted forward, you'll never know who hit you in a hit and run in the few seconds you take to recover. (if you recover) My vid cam is coming this week.

Last edited by carl7; 10-10-17 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 05:18 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I love my handlebar mounted mirror. I find it helpful in traffic. I also ride solo on rural roads without shoulders, and like to make sure that I know what's behind me and whether or not it is planning to give me space. Also, I went to too many rock shows in my youth and my hearing isn't the best, especially with wind.

I call it my "nerd mirror" when I ride with roadies. In smaller groups people appreciate it because I'm able to call car back without the need for anyone to turn their heads.
Old 10-10-17, 07:20 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts

You can actually pay too much attention to what's going on in your mirror, and miss what's going on ahead of you.

Personally, I use my mirror ...

-- occasionally, to see where Rowan is, if he is riding behind me.

-- occasionally, to see what's going on with my trunk bag if it seems to be sitting funny or something.

-- to check the traffic if the traffic is making odd noises. If a vehicle sounds really large, or is revving, or something, I want to know what's going on and whether or not I need to take evasive action.

-- as a preliminary check on the traffic density before I make a turn that crosses traffic. If it appears there are no cars, I do a shoulder check to double check that, and then I cross. If it appears that there are just a few, I slow up to let them pass, double check the mirror, do my shoulder check, and then cross. If it appears that there are a lot, I stop and wait for everyone to go, then cross.

-- as a preliminary check if I need to move from riding on the shoulder into the lane when crossing a narrow bridge ... same sort of situation as above.

-- occasionally now and then, just 'cause ... but not very often.
Old 10-10-17, 07:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Machka, I find it amusing that you say you shoulder check in your post immediately after the post about ice hockey. Trying to picture you lacing on a pair of hockey skates and checking someone into the boards!

Is that a tarantula in your pic? Fun story - driving out of Texas' Big Bend park many years ago - going ~60mph, I came upon a big tarantula I was sure I flattened. Bothered me so much I stopped and we went back to see. Road was clean. Then we saw the spider struggling to climb over the sparse grass at the road edge. (Apparently, the road concentrated the very sparse rainwater just enough to get a few lawn size blades to grow. It was just as obvious that tarantulas have not skills dealing with such grass that exists nowhere else.) The big spider was quite aware these two big humans were standing over him and he was going as fast as he could to get to firm ground, but he had to do it one leg at a time, find a foothold on that blade, the pick up another leg and do the same. With 8 of them it was a slow process. After minutes, he was finally down on hard Texas desert. Two jumps and he was 25 feet away!

Ben
They certainly can move!!

No that's not a tarantula, it is a large, very flat, black spider thing. I'd never seen one before. As soon as I can, I'll post a bigger picture of it.

Here we go ...

Last edited by Machka; 10-11-17 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 12:52 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Not being sarcastic, this is an honest question for those who feel a mirror is not needed. How do you watch the road for rocks and broken glass and other hazards, keep your eye on the car waiting to make a left and the car in the side street to make sure you can react if they don't see you or mistime and you need to avoid a collision -and- keep an eye on the traffic behind you long enough for a car count, a speed estimate of each car, lane positioning and lane changes and making sure the guy coming up fast directly behind actually slows down in time without a mirror? With peripheral vision and a mirror I can do both safely. I don't see how I could watch so diligently to the rear and watch the road ahead without one.
First, I want to state that I'm not against people using mirrors if it makes them feel safer. However, to address your question; I attest that even with a mirror, you can't do all of that effectively.
Old 10-13-17, 01:57 PM
BikrBar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have a very small oval helmet mirror. It's arm got floppy over time, so I used Shoe-Goo to adhere the mirror to the helmet in the correct position. It is barely noticeable and works great for commuting.
Old 10-14-17, 05:01 AM
Payton1221

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I also ride solo on rural roads without shoulders, and like to make sure that I know what's behind me and whether or not it is planning to give me space.
THIS! I have a somewhat stiff neck and looking back is uncomfortable, so my mirror is VERY important to me!
Old 10-15-17, 06:09 PM
WingSuit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to scoff at those who used mirrors, being able to just glance over my shoulder and check traffic. As my neck got older and less flexible, I used a combination of listening and glancing as best I could. One fine day I was on a deserted road and it was very quiet, so I just cut across the road to turn left. I was missed by a Prius by a couple feet. Totally quiet. So I got a mirror and can’t believe how much I like it. Can check on my bride back there too, although I usually have to look ahead to see her on hills ...
Old 10-15-17, 08:54 PM
FlamsteadHill

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a bar end mirror. Rode without one for a couple months, thought about getting one as I saw a few others with them, and then got into a potentially dangerous situation because I couldn't look back* and ordered a mirror when I got home. Love it. I could ride without one, but would not choose to. Speaking as a relatively old guy riding on the road.

*Road with no shoulder, guard rail 12" off the fog line, needing to make a left turn, and hearing an apparently large vehicle coming up behind me. I couldn't tell how far it was behind me, and didn't feel comfortable turning to look because of the guard rail. I ended up stopping, which even that felt dangerous because I couldn't tell if the oncoming vehicle saw me.
Old 10-15-17, 09:03 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There is having a mirror and using a mirror, I find.

A few weeks ago I passed this guy who was sporting one of these little mirrors. I didn't say "On your left!" (I never do; I just pass as expeditiously and carefully as I can). The fella took me to task and, with a very petulant voice said, "Thank you. Thank you very much for saying 'On your left.'" I ignored him and went on my way. I guess I thought that that is what those little mirrors were for; so that when he saw me coming he would just gracefully move aside to let me pass. Is this an unreasonable expectation?
Old 10-16-17, 08:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Being on a recumbent, a mirror is absolutely essential. Without the mirror, I can only see a couple feet behind me by turning my head; and sitting up so I could twist around better would be a real bother.
Old 10-16-17, 10:51 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
First, I want to state that I'm not against people using mirrors if it makes them feel safer. However, to address your question; I attest that even with a mirror, you can't do all of that effectively.
With a mirror? I do it in an automobile, every single time I drive, and have for decades.

Also, every time I'm on my bicycle.

Quite effectively.
Old 10-16-17, 11:00 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
On my commute this morning I noticed that a lot of my route is on one-way streets with bike lanes on both sides (or in the case of L Street, the bike lane disappears just when you need it most), and that for at least half the way to work, I'm on the left side of the road, with cars passing me on my right.

I presume that all you N.Am. mirror wearers have them mounted on the left side, right for the UK, ROI, Oz, and whatnot.

What do you do when you're riding on the opposite side of the road that you'd normally use?
Old 10-16-17, 02:12 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by cycloaptrgangr
So much fear.
Fear keeps you alive.
Old 10-16-17, 02:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
On my commute this morning I noticed that a lot of my route is on one-way streets with bike lanes on both sides (or in the case of L Street, the bike lane disappears just when you need it most), and that for at least half the way to work, I'm on the left side of the road, with cars passing me on my right.

I presume that all you N.Am. mirror wearers have them mounted on the left side, right for the UK, ROI, Oz, and whatnot.

What do you do when you're riding on the opposite side of the road that you'd normally use?
I have no trouble seeing the ditch to my right with a standard, left mounted (North American) 3rd Eye helmet mirror. Takes just a little move of my head to the left.

Ben
Old 10-16-17, 03:44 PM
FlamsteadHill

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

I do nothing, as that don't happen here in the boondocks.

But if it were a regular, if infrequent occurrence, I would:
  • Add a mirror to the other side, or
  • Turn my head,
depending on how important it seemed.
Old 10-17-17, 02:25 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
If I needed a mirror on the right, I'd put one there...but I haven't needed one around here.
Or I could just switch the mirror to that side real quick, if I couldn't see well enough with it mounted on the left.
Old 10-18-17, 09:15 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I only have a mirror on one of my bikes, but it's the one that i use for group road rides, so it spends the most time in traffic. I view the mirror as an extension of my peripheral vision to the rear; I can get a rough idea of where my riders are, and if we've got a car back. As far as car count, it's either one, or more than one.
At bicycle speeds, it's no big deal to scan far enough up the road to avoid any major hazards long enough to do an over-the-shoulder check. Something you learn on motos, where you're going down the same road, just 2-4x faster. In fact, mirrors on most motos aren't a whole lot better than the ones on (velo) bikes. Add in a full-face, visored helmet, and shoulder checks become necessity.
I never make a move based solely on my mirrors.
Also, the act of turning your head to check behind/ beside you also serves a visual signal to other traffic around you (if they're paying attention) that you may be about to do something other than keep riding along.
Old 10-18-17, 09:44 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Is that bag almost rubbing the tire? How do you like it? Is it too wide? Make it difficult to mount and dismount?
I have the bit smaller Carradice (no side pockets). Mine did indeed rub on the tire occasionally (I don't have the rack support like hers seems to have) until I put on fenders. I "fixed" it in the interim by just keeping a small bungee cord on it, holding it up some.

Every once in a while I get a bit of brushing on the back of my thighs, but all in all I really like mine. Holds a lot and is fairly weatherproof.

Old 10-18-17, 10:44 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
...i call it my "nerd mirror" when i ride with roadies. In smaller groups people appreciate it because i'm able to call car back without the need for anyone to turn their heads.
+1
Old 10-18-17, 10:48 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict

Some people can't turn head around without loosing control of bike...because their body is not supple enough or don't have good balance coordination.
Or have crashed and broken several collarbones.

Ben

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.