Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-18, 10:54 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
The Lake Pepin 3-speed tour is this Saturday! For those on the ride, here is an alternate route, which begins shortly after Maiden Rock.

Lake Pepin 3-speed Tour Stockholm bypass

Stock up on water and provisions if needed (recommended) in Maiden Rock. This alternate takes about 2-3 hours if done in a leisurely fashion. A beautiful and secluded valley is featured; overall traffic is very light. A rest stop could be a the Laura Ingalls Wilder cabin which is on the route.

East of Maiden Rock, take AA left and follow past (and over) creek. Turn left at the Rustic Road (first dirt road after the creek; at last report the main sign was down, look for sign saying ‘next 4 miles’). There are several stream crossings after which the road rises out of the valley. Some HAB* is required. At the top of the valley, take a left at the T intersection (180th, with more HAB), then a right at the next T intersection (50th).

Proceed east on 50th(also called Willow), crossing Co. Rd. Cc (alternatively, turn south on Co. Rd. Cc., follow through village of Lund, turn left). Willow Road curves south and meets Co. Rd Cc; proceed south on Cc.

Cc passes by the Laura Ingalls Wilder cabin. Picnic table, restrooms are on site, but no water. Road descends towards Pepin and meets Hiway 35 west of town. Turn left rejoining main route.

Pepin bypass alternate from Stockholm bypass:

After the cabin, begin descent into valley north of Pepin. Just outside of town you will pass by Oakwood Cemetery on your left, on a left curve. Sand Ridge Road goes left, take this if you wish to also bypass Pepin.

(NOTE: An unexplored alternate Pepin Bypass route would be to turn left on Elberg Hill road (after the main descent, where the bluffs on the left recede to the left and the valley opens up), then immediately right on Jahnke Hill Road, taking that to Sand Hill Road; turn left resuming Pepin bypass route. This alternate is entirely on dirt road.)

Enter outskirts of Pepin, turn left on 7th, proceed three full blocks thru residential area to Dunn Road (Co Rd N), turn left and immediately right onto Trail Road (dirt).Follow Trail Road to hiway 35 and rejoin main route.

* Hike A Bike
Old 05-08-18, 10:58 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by oldveloman
Hard to keep up with you guys here. Loads of new posts

Yesterday, another “old Raleigh" was dumped at my doorstep. If this goes on, I will have to expand my garage...
Anyway, this one is pretty rusty and had been sitting in an overgrown garden shed for some time.

Lighting is non original, nor the ( Dutch Lepper- ) saddle and the Sturmey rear wheel says 1961, but I think the frame is early fifties, probably 1951 - 1953 ?

Peter

​​​
That will be some big bath of oxalic acid!
Old 05-08-18, 11:07 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Honestly so long as there's no internal rush that thing'll probably polish right up. It's on caliper brakes so nothing stopping you from switching to aluminium rims!
Old 05-08-18, 12:48 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Raleigh Tourist

Here is a later Tourist (DL-1) for you at $280 OBO.
https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...582881095.html
Old 05-08-18, 01:03 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

1960's Armstrong $65

This needs work, but it appears to be all there.
https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...582797060.html
Old 05-08-18, 06:00 PM
schwinnderella

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts
The Armstrong above has a Schwinn Phantom seat, worth at least double the asking price of the bike.
Old 05-08-18, 07:29 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts

Yesterday, another “old Raleigh" was dumped at my doorstep. If this goes on, I will have to expand my garage...
Anyway, this one is pretty rusty and had been sitting in an overgrown garden shed for some time.

Lighting is non original, nor the ( Dutch Lepper- ) saddle and the Sturmey rear wheel says 1961, but I think the frame is early fifties, probably 1951 - 1953 ?

Peter

​​​​​​​
What a great find! You are correct 1950-1953. In the 1954 catalog Raleigh promotes their new "high tensile" steel and they started using the high tensile sticker on the seat tube.I really like this bike. Tall frame too.
These are getting more rare all the time. It has tons of potential. So nice to see a fresh barn find early 50s light roadster.
That round lug over the shifter cable guide wheel is where the original guide wheel was attached.
Here's the 1950 catalog from the VCC
VCC 1950 Raleigh catalog

Last edited by BigChief; 05-08-18 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-09-18, 06:47 AM
oldveloman

Bikes: 1951-2 BSA 900E Roadster, 1961 Triumph Sports, 1953 Raleigh Sports, 1981 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Twenty, 1951 Taxandria, ±1950 The Gold Lion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
What a great find! You are correct 1950-1953. In the 1954 catalog Raleigh promotes their new "high tensile" steel and they started using the high tensile sticker on the seat tube.I really like this bike. Tall frame too.
These are getting more rare all the time. It has tons of potential. So nice to see a fresh barn find early 50s light roadster.
That round lug over the shifter cable guide wheel is where the original guide wheel was attached.
VCC 1950 Raleigh catalog
Thanks again, BigChief !
I cleaned up the serial number a bit and it says 41177 BK , so according to the list at the Headbadge and the Visual ID / Decal identification it should be a 1953 model.
Makes it a nice companion to my (pre-Raleigh) 1954 BSA 3-speeder ...

Peter
Old 05-09-18, 07:18 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This DL1 just popped up for $175 but I don't need a start out with a step thru.The seller is a liar. It clearly looks to be a 1969 or 1970.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...579251736.html

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 05-09-18 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-09-18, 07:31 AM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk

I took my Tourist out for a ride today. It had not been on the road since last fall, so I had to add air to the tires, check the brakes, and so forth. It is easy to forget that this type of bicycle is very different from others until you get into the saddle and ride.
I am in the process of getting rid of several bikes, but this one will be around for a while.
Where does one find a headlight bracket like that? I'm looking for a way to put a modern light on a heron bracket
Old 05-09-18, 08:57 AM
dweenk

Originally Posted by agmetal
Where does one find a headlight bracket like that? I'm looking for a way to put a modern light on a heron bracket
AFAIK the light bracket was standard equipment on Raleigh headlights of that period. If you can't find a suitable housing bracket, you could replace the original with something like this.
Old 05-09-18, 09:04 AM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

AFAIK the light bracket was standard equipment on Raleigh headlights of that period. If you can't find a suitable housing bracket, you could replace the original with something like this.
I have a heron bracket on the top of the stem of my '37 Tourist that I'd like to use, but I haven't been able to find the piece to adapt from that to a modern 10mm light mount
Old 05-09-18, 09:34 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

VCC 1950 Raleigh catalog
Did Raleigh set up an American company to import and distribute these? Or was it done piecemeal by bike shops, or some American import company? Was thinking if you set up a company to import and distribute English bikes you might bring in ones from France and Italy, too.
Old 05-09-18, 09:43 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Did Raleigh set up an American company to import and distribute these? Or was it done piecemeal by bike shops, or some American import company? Was thinking if you set up a company to import and distribute English bikes you might bring in ones from France and Italy, too.
And to add to this, did Schwinn ever import English 3 speeds with the Schwinn name on them? I have seen at least one advertised as such. It had the Schwinn name, the shark fin fenders, but no cotter cranks.
Old 05-09-18, 09:52 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Some other bits from Eric Newby (same book, Round Ireland in Low Gear) I like: “My first really good bicycle was a second-hand Selbach which I bought from a boy at school for Ł3—it would have cost about Ł12 new…. They were fitted with Timken roller bearings instead of conventional ball bearings. [I suppose he means the bottom bracket? Maybe headset too?] The lightest machine Selbach built is in the Science Museum in London…. He was killed when the front wheel of his bicycle got stuck in a tramline in South London; he didn’t even rate an obituary in The Times….. The finest bicycle I ever had was a Holdsworth… it was a model called Stelvio, and was specially designed for cycling in the Alps. It was hand-built in a small shed at the back of Holdsworth’s shop in Putney by a thin, energetic, chain-smoking genius with wispy hair and a terrible cough. He had lined the walls of the shed with a really wonderful collection of pin-ups all of which displayed enormous tits, presumably to stimulate him to even greater activity. They certainly stimulated me. It was the finest bicycle procurable at that time [1935] and it cost a colossal Ł20.” If I get to London I know what I’ll be looking for at the Science Museum.
Old 05-09-18, 09:59 AM
paulb_in_bkln

VCC 1950 Raleigh catalog
Lenton Tourist (Model 29). It's love.
Old 05-09-18, 11:00 AM
dweenk

I have a heron bracket on the top of the stem of my '37 Tourist that I'd like to use, but I haven't been able to find the piece to adapt from that to a modern 10mm light mount
If I understand correctly, you are looking for the bracket that slips over the heron mount on the headset. The only mating bracket that I have found was on the old Raleigh headlights. Maybe the auction site may have what you are seeking.
Old 05-09-18, 11:01 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
The Lake Pepin 3-speed tour is this Saturday! For those on the ride, here is an alternate route, which begins shortly after Maiden Rock.

Stock up on water and provisions if needed (recommended) in Maiden Rock. This alternate takes about 2-3 hours if done in a leisurely fashion. A beautiful and secluded valley is featured; overall traffic is very light. A rest stop could be a the Laura Ingalls Wilder cabin which is on the route.

East of Maiden Rock, take AA left and follow past (and over) creek. Turn left at the Rustic Road (first dirt road after the creek; at last report the main sign was down, look for sign saying ‘next 4 miles’). There are several stream crossings after which the road rises out of the valley. Some HAB* is required. At the top of the valley, take a left at the T intersection (180th, with more HAB), then a right at the next T intersection (50th).

Proceed east on 50th(also called Willow), crossing Co. Rd. Cc (alternatively, turn south on Co. Rd. Cc., follow through village of Lund, turn left). Willow Road curves south and meets Co. Rd Cc; proceed south on Cc.

Cc passes by the Laura Ingalls Wilder cabin. Picnic table, restrooms are on site, but no water. Road descends towards Pepin and meets Hiway 35 west of town. Turn left rejoining main route.

Pepin bypass alternate from Stockholm bypass:

After the cabin, begin descent into valley north of Pepin. Just outside of town you will pass by Oakwood Cemetery on your left, on a left curve. Sand Ridge Road goes left, take this if you wish to also bypass Pepin.

(NOTE: An unexplored alternate Pepin Bypass route would be to turn left on Elberg Hill road (after the main descent, where the bluffs on the left recede to the left and the valley opens up), then immediately right on Jahnke Hill Road, taking that to Sand Hill Road; turn left resuming Pepin bypass route. This alternate is entirely on dirt road.)

Enter outskirts of Pepin, turn left on 7th, proceed three full blocks thru residential area to Dunn Road (Co Rd N), turn left and immediately right onto Trail Road (dirt).Follow Trail Road to hiway 35 and rejoin main route.

* Hike A Bike
I have planned a trip to Texas to visit my 92 year old mom for mothers day. I would be happy to loan a perfectly working bike 23"1962 Sports to one in need or 21"1968 Sports working well.
Old 05-09-18, 11:04 AM
oldveloman

Bikes: 1951-2 BSA 900E Roadster, 1961 Triumph Sports, 1953 Raleigh Sports, 1981 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Twenty, 1951 Taxandria, ±1950 The Gold Lion Tandem

Or something like this. Just 2 parts bolted together :

Old 05-09-18, 01:05 PM
Mike from Iowa

Bikes: 1939 The James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem, 1950 Dunelt cruiser, 1960 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 Humber Sports, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious

...Enter outskirts of Pepin, turn left on 7th, proceed three full blocks thru residential area to Dunn Road (Co Rd N), turn left and immediately right onto Trail Road (dirt).Follow Trail Road to hiway 35 and rejoin main route.

* Hike A Bike
Thanks for this route option! My wife and I will be there again this year on our matching Humbers.
Old 05-09-18, 01:20 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike from Iowa
Thanks for this route option! My wife and I will be there again this year on our matching Humbers.
We did matching Humber roadsters last year, this year we're going with Raleigh Green. Unless I can get my Claud Butler a proper stem...
Old 05-09-18, 07:13 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This needs work, but it appears to be all there.
https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...582797060.html
That seat is gigantic.
Old 05-10-18, 01:58 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts

Peter

​​​​​​​
You probably already know these things, but I really like this project bike and can't resist talking about it. Here's a couple parts I see missing.
This is the correct lamp bracket for this period Raleigh. There are 4 different variants that I know of. You can't see in this picture, but this one mounts on the steering tube top like the more modern ones. Earlier versions bolted onto the handlebar clamp. This steering tube mounted, skinny neck heron is the one you would need.

Here's the frame mounted cable guide wheel that is original to this bike.

Last edited by BigChief; 05-10-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-10-18, 04:35 PM
oldveloman

Thanks, Chief, glad you like it
Interesting stuff. Now I know what to look for.

I also found this blog that has some useful information on a similar bike too.

Peter
Old 05-10-18, 04:46 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
That seat is gigantic.
I was going to say it was a Big Ass Seat, but decided not to (then changed my mind!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.