Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Third bottle cage

Old 05-24-18, 09:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Cheap velcro strap around the bottle and downtube will ensure the cage isn't strained and the bottle wont jump out.
Old 05-25-18, 08:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by jbell_64
Thanks for all the input. Think I'll go stainless.
King. Made in US. Made in Durango, Colorado. Made in a garage in Durango by a grumpy old guy but...damn!

Look at his Iris cages too.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-27-18, 08:53 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 594 Posts
I've had a couple bikes with the under the DT bottle cage. I kept it clean by covering it in Saran Wrap until I was ready to use it. I'd switch it out with an empty bottle and then wrap the empty before placing it in the lower cage to make cleanup easier later on.
Old 05-27-18, 09:11 AM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Water

Anybody else just throw a couple of bottles in your jersey pockets on a hot day ? Over 90 degrees and I have two on the bike, one in each pocket on my shorts and three on my back. These are all throw away and are used for refills. Then properly disposed. Works for me. No good being thirsty.... Really don’t like hydration/sweat pack. To each his/her/ whatever’s own preference.

Last edited by Cyclcist11023131; 05-27-18 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Additional
Old 05-27-18, 06:03 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Bendopolo
Anybody else just throw a couple of bottles in your jersey pockets on a hot day ? That’s free, easy, adaptable. Win win...
You fellas sure put a lot of credibility in "jersey pockets."
Old 05-28-18, 11:53 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
You fellas sure put a lot of credibility in "jersey pockets."
+1

Personally I would rather just wear a hydration pack that is actually designed to carry stuff well on my back than shoving my pockets full of water bottles.

That said, as much as I prefer my water in a pack for MTB, on the road I just don't see any reason to carry stuff on my person rather than on the bike.
Old 05-28-18, 12:34 PM
Dchiefransom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You could always mount one on the front of the handlebars.
Old 05-28-18, 02:02 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Yeah, or two. I can mount five on mine - three on the front bar and one each side of the stem on the inner bar. With straws? Ooh, go on, then.

Old 05-29-18, 08:55 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
+1

Personally I would rather just wear a hydration pack that is actually designed to carry stuff well on my back than shoving my pockets full of water bottles.

That said, as much as I prefer my water in a pack for MTB, on the road I just don't see any reason to carry stuff on my person rather than on the bike.
I've worn a hydration pack while road cycling on long rides, and it's literally been a lifesaver while riding in rural areas with no services, that is, no place to get water. During a hot summer day I sweat so much I can go through two 24 oz. water bottles and a 2 liter hydration pack before I get home. Took the pack along yesterday on a 27 mile ride. Normally I wouldn't need the hydration pack for a short ride like that, but it was so hot out with no wind, and I was on gravel with absolutely nowhere to get water, so the extra water was handy even if I didn't drink it all. The hydration pack has been the best cycling accessory I've ever owned.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 05-29-18, 08:38 PM
lennskii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another +1 for King Cages - hold the bottles super securely, don't mark like AL cages and tension strength can be adjusted by bending slightly unlike carbon or plastic cages. Never lost a bottle under the DT.

I rarely need 3 bottles - so I purchased Fabric Cageless Keg and use it on the downtube. If I am touring and need to mount another bottle, I swap out the Keg (put it in the bag) and use a Fabric cageless bottle. All pretty cheap and keeps the bike looking clean.
Old 05-29-18, 11:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While I agree that King Cages are the best (they are on the white bike), the question was about aluminum. Aluminum will work for a very long time. Kings will last a lot longer and they won't leave your bottles black but Kings are a bit expensive...~$20 each.

Those bottles had more than 450 miles on them when I took that picture (they weren't new when I started the tour) including about 200 miles of dirt roads in Ontario and part of the Erie Canal. You can see how clean they are. Bottles in aluminum cages would be dark black under similar conditions.
But ... every aluminum cage I have ever used has broken off the bike and shed the bottle. (Except ones I retired before that happened,) I discovered cracks happening in nearly all my steel cages in the shop and replaced them before they shed a bottle. (Often after decades of use.) Losing a bottle on a screaming descent on a hot day is something I consider a very bad outcome. Yes the OP was talking aluminum but he was also talking of wanting security.

And $20 for a cage is expensive? For a cage that will do its job the next 20 years? I don't blink an eye paying that for that quality. Not for items that are that important. (I keep my mouth shut, but I do laugh rather cruelly on the inside when I see a cage and bottle rolling along the road. And those cages are either aluminum or very light in almost every case.)

Ben
Old 05-30-18, 12:14 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I just stop at the next place that has water, but then I never leave town.

And I drink that evil diet soda.
Old 05-30-18, 07:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
And $20 for a cage is expensive? For a cage that will do its job the next 20 years? I don't blink an eye paying that for that quality. Not for items that are that important. (I keep my mouth shut, but I do laugh rather cruelly on the inside when I see a cage and bottle rolling along the road. And those cages are either aluminum or very light in almost every case.)

Ben
Lots of people would gladly pay twice (or three times) for something cheap but having it last half (or 1/3rd) as long as paying a lot for something that will last twice or 3 times as long. As the saying goes "buy nice or buy twice".
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-30-18, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
I have King cages on my road bike. In what I believe was a very rare occurrence, my ex-GF had one break on her. (Likely caused during transit from the east cost to AZ in a trailer crowded with other bikes.) She mentioned the failure to King when we saw him at the Philly Bike Expo. He was there bending cages. He flipped her a new one for free.
Old 06-04-18, 12:49 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Lots of people would gladly pay twice (or three times) for something cheap but having it last half (or 1/3rd) as long as paying a lot for something that will last twice or 3 times as long. As the saying goes "buy nice or buy twice".
$5 and I just wire it to the inside of the front basket.
Old 08-17-18, 01:02 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
FYI I came across this on ebay. Kind of cool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockBros-Cy...item58f9a44c2e