Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gearing up for a century

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gearing up for a century

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 04:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Achilles0557
I’m gearing up for my first century...maybe in about 8 weeks. Should I bring two extra tubes or is one sufficient?
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Carry whatever you carry for a normal ride. That's all.
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
My one and only century ride I had my usual spare tube & patch kit. Didn't need either one. Last flat I had was on a relatively short (<20 miles) ride.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Well you should see my packing list…hate to arrive on time, having forgotten my bike (helmet, gloves, shoes, pump, tools [[b]usually with two new tubes in the toolbag], shorts, water bottle, computer, lights, extra valve stem caps…); never happened.
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I assumed the OP was interested in some self-reliance.
Of course, one always can bring nothing and rely on others to be prepared and help out.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
My earlier reply was mischievous, but as noted, two tubes are sensible. However, on a memorable ride of 82 miles, to which I had driven 300 miles, this happened to me:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…At about mile 30 I stopped [to rest] and Steve the sag wagon driver drove up to see if I was OK.

He gave me a 79 mile map, specifically went over the directions through the town of Geneva at the northern end of Lake Seneca, and mentioned that his cell phone number was on the map. As I left my stop, I noted that my rear tire was softer than it should be and soon concluded I had a flat.

The worst part of a flat to me, especially on a long ride, is knowing I can’t pump up to maximal pressure, and am then riding with a less-than-optimal bike. If Steve had not mentioned his cell phone number I don’t think it would have occurred for me to call. He met me by the time I had changed the tire and filled it up to the max with his floor pump. Fortunately I found the offending shard of wire and removed it.

About three miles down the road I got another flat and again Steve responded by the time I repaired the tire. I found a nice puncture but no sharp object. I had only one new tube that I used on my preceding flat so I had to use an adhesive patch to cover the hole. I have found they don’t always work, but this one held. Steve again carefully described the route to take through Geneva a few miles ahead, and I put his cell phone number on my speed dial.

Geneva was a beautiful and relatively bustling town on the northern end of Lake Seneca. While I was stopped at an intersection looking at the map, a man got out of an SUV and it turned out he had ridden his bike down to Florida, and was planning a cross country tour next year. He mentioned there was a bike shop a couple blocks down.

I stopped at the shop to buy new tubes, and wouldn’t you know, good old Steve was there. He watched my bike for me when I went into the shop, and replenished my water. By now I knew he was my guardian angel. That shop was also the destination of the man in the SUV, and it was a bustling, well-appointed and friendly place.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-27-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 08:37 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I went on a 72 mile ride today and ended up with 2 flats. After the first one, I removed an obvious thorn and replaced the tube. After 10 miles I got another flat and realized there was a tiny thorn buried in the tire. I removed it, patched both tubes and the rest of the ride was trouble free. I may start carrying 2 tubes for longer rides.
Old 05-28-18, 05:35 AM
Achilles0557

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Are you new to endurance sports in general, or just cycling? .

Always better to bring more than you think you'll need and not need it, than not bring enough and wish you had.
Im new to long distance things, I don’t run or really do any cardio anymore. But this is a fun activity that allows me to explore!

. I wrestled for 15 years, have endured a lot of training in my adult years. So when I get tired or am in pain, I normally just push through it. I understand that it is a mental game. But toward the end of the 50s, my body was giving me obvious signs of needing external energy.

A lot of what I ride is in the middle of nowhere, so I will definitely try to plan something with a mid route stop. To eat and fill up. With stops, I think I’m gonna shoot for 7 hours. I think that is realistic
Old 06-02-18, 04:25 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I carry two tubes, well folded for compactness, a pair of levers and a pair of nitrile gloves in a ziplock bag that goes into one pocket. In another pocket I carry a very small pump for putting a small amount of air in the tube to facilitate installation if necessary. The saddlebag contains a multitool, an inflator with 2 CO2 cartridges. So, I have enough for two flats, although I've only ever needed one on a ride. Remember though, that getting a flat has no effect on the odds of getting another flat on the same ride, for better or worse. These are random events. For a century, I'd carry two for peace of mind.
Old 06-02-18, 05:05 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Do glueless patches work?
Has anyone gotten those glueless patches to work consistently? Which brand is it?

Tyvek
A piece of tyvek, from an overnight letter envelope, or from a pinned number for an event ride, makes a good wrapper to protect a spare tube, and it's a very good tire boot.

Older tubes of glue
The tube of glue will dry out even if it's never been opened. So swap out the patch kit at least once a year.

Classic glued patches work just about every time for me. I've never had to use a patch on the road for at least 15 years. I keep punctured tubes, then patch 3 or 4 tubes at one time, using up the tube of glue. It's faster to do them all at once, I think. After a test ride, I rely on these patched tubes the same as I would a new tube.
Old 06-02-18, 06:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
One bottle of water in 50 miles is not nearly enough. Even in the dead of winter, which it is not currently. I just got back from a 50 mile ride and drank almost four bottles. I prefer to put my carbs in the bottles, but some prefer to eat their carbs. Won't hurt to have some electrolytes of some sort, but don't go overboard. If your drink has, sodium, potassium, magnesium in it, then those are electrolytes whether they advertise such or not.
Old 06-05-18, 09:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
if you're riding with a big group of ppl someone else will probably be able to give you a 2nd tube in the rare case you need it

I personally carry 2 tubes, patch kit, hand pump, CO2 inflator & 4 cartridges on every ride. the weight stinks when I don't need them, but handy as heck when I do
Old 06-05-18, 11:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
One tube and a patch kit for me on a solo unsupported century on pavement.
Old 06-05-18, 11:46 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
One tube and a patch kit.
Old 06-05-18, 11:54 AM
Dchiefransom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Your patch kit should be the glue on type.
Old 06-05-18, 12:44 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Older tubes of glue
The tube of glue will dry out even if it's never been opened. So swap out the patch kit at least once a year.
How do you know how old it was before it got to you?

Is squeezing the unopened tube to see if it's still pliable valid?
Old 06-05-18, 04:15 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Achilles0557

A lot of what I ride is in the middle of nowhere, so I will definitely try to plan something with a mid route stop. To eat and fill up. With stops, I think I’m gonna shoot for 7 hours. I think that is realistic
If I'm riding with friends I can rely on, I don't need to carry as much. The group will usually have more than enough tubes, CO2 etc.

If I'm riding by myself I try to have enough supplies to get back to civilization. The most flats I've had on a long ride are 3, so 2 tubes and a patch kit are my preference (and a boot for tire cuts)

If your bike is rendered unridable, how long will it take you to get back to where you can hitch a ride?

And as for nutrition - I think most people can go 50 miles on water alone but if you're riding 100, you need to start eating earlier than that. Part of training is just figuring out what you need to get to that 100 mile mark as much as actually building the fitness to do it.

Look at the location of bike shops and coffee/minimart stops on your route before you go, just in case.
Old 06-05-18, 05:08 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Regardless of where I'm going, my roadside repair kit always includes:
  • 1 tube.
  • 1 patch kit (stick-on style)
  • 2 levers
  • 1 Topeak Mini Morph pump strapped under the down-tube (It's great riding a 58cm+ frame).
  • 1 nine-way multi tool.
  • A couple of zip ties.
I've never needed anything more than that. There was one ride where I used the tube, AND all my patches in the same day. Other times I've gone a season without a flat. Strange luck. But I've never needed two tubes and all my patches. Maybe next week I will!

I know people say plan for the worst. But sometimes the plan can be "After I run out of a practical quantity of tubes and patches, I'll just call Uber."
Old 06-05-18, 08:13 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I'm one of those lazy SOB's.... Two extra tubes on the ride, leave the patch kit at home for when I am bored watching TV at night.

Can this burn me? Yes! Has it? Luckily, not yet.