Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone going to RAGBRAI?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone going to RAGBRAI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 06:20 AM
Sprocket Turner

Bikes: '73 Mondia Special, '73 Frejus TDF, '84 Gitane Rallye Tandem, '85 Trek (Custom) 660, 85/86 Gitane Professional, and a few more!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Went on ragbrai in 83, 84, 85, 86, 88, 05, 11, 17 and 18
And set to go in 2020. Looking forward to it.

JJ
Now the question is.........how about doing it on a vintage bike? I would love to see a slew of us, all on vintage bikes doing the ride together.
Old 02-13-19, 09:01 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Turner
Now the question is.........how about doing it on a vintage bike? I would love to see a slew of us, all on vintage bikes doing the ride together.
The “youngest” bike I’ve ever taken on RAGBRAI was a 1991, in 2009. If you haven’t done RAGBRAI before and enjoy spotting C&V bikes, you’re in for a treat! People will take anything and everything on this ride.
Old 02-14-19, 10:23 AM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I started in 1988. I have ridden every year since. Not the whole week every year though. In 2014 I was hit by a car and life flighted away on DAY1. I plan to ride one day this year when it is closest to home.
Old 02-14-19, 10:27 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've avoided doing Ragbrai because I generally like doing rides with fewer people. I really should do one day of this but it will have to be on the weekend because of work.
Old 02-14-19, 11:25 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by deephate
I started in 1988.
That's the only one I've done. I think it was the first year it over-nighted in Des Moines.
Old 02-14-19, 12:37 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
That's the only one I've done. I think it was the first year it over-nighted in Des Moines.
I don’t know if it was the first year but yes we overnighted in Des Moines. It was quite a party! I still have the bow ties they handed out coming into town. I really remember it being very hot in Sioux City at the start and we camped in an open desert.
Old 02-14-19, 12:40 PM
deephate

Originally Posted by bikemig
I've avoided doing Ragbrai because I generally like doing rides with fewer people. I really should do one day of this but it will have to be on the weekend because of work.
So will you be riding Sunday start or Saturday finish? Perhaps you could actually take a vacation in July? I’m going to ride the Gitane I got from you. It has taken over the number one spot in the stable! Thanks again.
Old 02-14-19, 12:43 PM
Knet

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Marakesh / 2006 HooKooEKoo / 2005 CoMotion Nor'wester / 1987 Trek 520 and 560EX (1 ea.)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting route that it is taking this year. No overnights in bigger cities. Not sure why they did that, but I suspect that all the one-day riders they had for the ride into Iowa City last year might have played in to that.

Should be a good time.
Old 02-14-19, 12:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have the hat. Does that count?

If anyone asks I tell 'em it's not *that* RAGBRAI. It's the Ride Across Gun Barrel, Richland, Athens and Italy.
Old 02-14-19, 01:40 PM
leeinmemphis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm signed up to do it this year. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 02-14-19, 01:45 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by deephate

So will you be riding Sunday start or Saturday finish? Perhaps you could actually take a vacation in July? I’m going to ride the Gitane I got from you. It has taken over the number one spot in the stable! Thanks again.
Cool bike, I'm glad you're riding it. It would have to be the Saturday finish I think but you need to have two cars to make this work, right? I have a mid 70s Peugeot PR 10 that I might bring along for the ride. I want to turn it into a gravel mutt with 700 x 38c tires.

You should sign onto this thread, https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...il-ride-2.html

It's a bit of a hike for you but you have the perfect bike for the ride,
Old 02-14-19, 10:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
so many c&v bikes and classic inspired steel frames on the ride each year.
and the chv bikes are pretty equally represented between riders that are active and frequent cyclists and riders who are out for a day because the ride is going thru their town and so they dust off the bike and pump up the tires.

Personally ive used a 1990 Fuji made touring bike, an updated 87 Miyata 912, and a bike I built in a frame building class.

there are a good number of Ironman, Fuji, Raleigh, Schwinn, and various Italian brands represented each year.
Old 02-15-19, 08:57 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Ahhhhh... Summer in Iowa. Man the weather last year was absolutely PERFECT. Low to mid 70s, gentle wind and blue skies. Ahhhhhhh.... great memories.
Old 02-15-19, 11:55 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Coppi in Wisconsin in Sept = Closed. Wow.
Registration sold out.
Don't forget to get us pics.

Now back to RAGBRAI ---- pics of that too, for those of us who will not be present.
test
Old 02-15-19, 12:25 PM
Mike from Iowa

Bikes: 1939 The James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem, 1950 Dunelt cruiser, 1960 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 Humber Sports, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Liked 61 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
so many c&v bikes and classic inspired steel frames on the ride each year.
and the chv bikes are pretty equally represented between riders that are active and frequent cyclists and riders who are out for a day because the ride is going thru their town and so they dust off the bike and pump up the tires.

Personally ive used a 1990 Fuji made touring bike, an updated 87 Miyata 912, and a bike I built in a frame building class.

there are a good number of Ironman, Fuji, Raleigh, Schwinn, and various Italian brands represented each year.
Here is a '73 Raleigh International I spotted on the 2018 ride. The original campy derailleur still there? I know Rick Paulos, part of the every dwindling group of riders who has done EVERY MILE of EVERY RAGBRAI had a contest with his brother to see who could find the oldest bike. A caveat was that if you found anyone riding a Schwinn Varsity with original steel rims, the contest was over. I'm not sure who won...
Old 02-15-19, 12:54 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
We will have our own little team the Texas Cowspokes but will be glad to ride along with any of my C&V friends we may meet along the way. I am planning on riding my purple haze Ironman but I could decide to use the bike I have them most experience on my cf Origin8. My granddaughter will either be on her newer Fugi or her yet to be tested black Ironman.
Old 02-15-19, 10:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by Mike from Iowa
Here is a '73 Raleigh International I spotted on the 2018 ride. The original campy derailleur still there? I know Rick Paulos, part of the every dwindling group of riders who has done EVERY MILE of EVERY RAGBRAI had a contest with his brother to see who could find the oldest bike. A caveat was that if you found anyone riding a Schwinn Varsity with original steel rims, the contest was over. I'm not sure who won...
I can't remember which RAGBRAI it was (maybe 2012 or 2013?), but I spotted Drew Buck on his retro-direct 1900 Peugeot in his "Onion Johnny" getup looking like this:

(Not my picture!)

He's a really cool dude.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-16-19, 01:18 PM
Mike from Iowa

Bikes: 1939 The James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem, 1950 Dunelt cruiser, 1960 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 Humber Sports, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I can't remember which RAGBRAI it was (maybe 2012 or 2013?), but I spotted Drew Buck on his retro-direct 1900 Peugeot in his "Onion Johnny" getup looking like this:

(Not my picture!)

He's a really cool dude.
I remember seeing him too! For those not familiar, that's a 2 speed where the lower geared speed is accessed by pedaling backwards. Very odd seeing him pedal backwards up hill.

Old 02-16-19, 08:36 PM
Sprocket Turner

Bikes: '73 Mondia Special, '73 Frejus TDF, '84 Gitane Rallye Tandem, '85 Trek (Custom) 660, 85/86 Gitane Professional, and a few more!

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Here is a '73 Raleigh International I spotted on the 2018 ride. The original campy derailleur still there?
So inspiring. I just recently inherited / acquired 1974 Raleigh International. The previous owner had ridden a quite a number of miles and states and he took great care of this bike, but he now suffers from a neurological disease and can't ride anymore. He never was able to ride RAGBRAI and I suspect he would have enjoyed it. I think the biggest salute I can give him is to give the bike the love it deserves, ride it on RAGBRAI and do a picture and story show for him. If I can't this year, then dang it 2020 here I come!
Old 02-16-19, 10:33 PM
Iowegian

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I wanted to go on the first one, I think it was called 'FAGBRAI' ...but I was just a paperboy and didn't have a car and all that. I still remember reading Donald Kaul's columns about it while he did the ride.
Someday I'll go, hopefully when the route goes through my hometown (again).
Old 02-16-19, 11:47 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian
I wanted to go on the first one, I think it was called 'FAGBRAI' ...but I was just a paperboy and didn't have a car and all that. I still remember reading Donald Kaul's columns about it while he did the ride.
Someday I'll go, hopefully when the route goes through my hometown (again).
According to the video about it there was no name at first. In fact it wasn't planned to be a annual event just a ride across the state to make a series of news stories. Then people wanted to know the date for "next year" and it happened again. After that they decided to make it annual and the rest is history.
Old 02-18-19, 10:10 AM
Mike from Iowa

Originally Posted by TXsailor
According to the video about it there was no name at first. In fact it wasn't planned to be a annual event just a ride across the state to make a series of news stories. Then people wanted to know the date for "next year" and it happened again. After that they decided to make it annual and the rest is history.
I SAW the first one. In 1973 I was in 8th grade in Iowa City, it happened in late August and we were already back at school. On Friday was all brought cookies and lemonade and handed them out free as the riders climbed the big hill in front of our school on their way out of town. We couldn't believe that 300 hundred people were supposedly riding by then, having read about it in the Des Moines Register from both Donald Kaul and John Karras. I got Clarence Pickard's autograph that day. He was the single person responsible for making RAGBRAI what it is today. He was an 83 year old retired farmer who hadn't ridden a bike in years when he took off and went all the way across the state on a ladies Schwinn Varsity. In an era before common bike helmets he rode in a long sleeve shirt, wool pants and a silver metal pith helmet.
Old 02-19-19, 11:13 PM
Iowegian

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I SAW the first one..
Cool. I didn't remember that the number grew so large. And yes, it didn't have a name at first. The second year it was referred to as SAGBRAI so that would have made the first one FAGBRAI in retrospect. At some point the paper got involved and it became RAGBRAI. Kaul had a somewhat irreverent column (Black Coffee?) and wrote about anything that came to his mind (or so it seemed...). The whole 'great bike ride' nomenclature was a bit tongue in cheek but it turned out to be prescient in a way. I was in 8th grade in 1973 too so I didn't make it. Still hope to some day.
Old 02-19-19, 11:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

As I understand it, the very first one was called "The Great Six-Day Bicycle Ride" and the xAGBRAI nomenclature began with the second one.

But then, I was still a few years away from being born.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-20-19, 08:45 AM
Mike from Iowa

Originally Posted by Iowegian
Kaul had a somewhat irreverent column (Black Coffee?) and wrote about anything that came to his mind (or so it seemed...). The whole 'great bike ride' nomenclature was a bit tongue in cheek but it turned out to be prescient in a way. I was in 8th grade in 1973 too so I didn't make it. Still hope to some day.
Kaul's column was "Over the Coffee" on the back page of the first section of the Des Moines Register. He passed away during RAGBRAI last summer. I put an "RIP Donald Kaul" note on the back of my rack trunk. Very few people riding knew who he was. I delivered the Register from 6th grade until I went away to college.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.