Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike delays

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 04:45 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Macmad
Thanks for all the replies, this is for a GCSE tech project and the design brief is to "create a product that reduces delays on bike travel".
Your "professor" has apparently never been on a bicycle as an adult, has no concept of what a "delay on bike travel" actually is much less how to grade a course project on "reducing it" and has Zero hope for tenure. Can you get your tuition $$$$ back from the On-line Engineering College of Barbados and get a real education instead?

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 08-29-19, 04:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I don't think there's a good portable tool for recalibrating the inertial stabilizers.
Old 08-29-19, 05:02 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Your "professor" has apparently never been on a bicycle as an adult, has no concept of what a "delay on bike travel" actually is much less how to grade a course project on "reducing it" and has Zero hope for tenure. Can you get your tuition $$$$ back from the On-line Engineering College of Barbados and get a real education instead?

-Bandera
AGREE. This is a basically flawed concept. Reasons why cyclists are delayed are myriad. You cannot develop a single product to address it unless you have a database that will allow you to address the most common delays

Last edited by alcjphil; 08-29-19 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 05:44 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
AGREE. This is a basically flawed concept. Reasons why cyclists are delayed are myriad. You cannot develop a single product to address it unless you have a database that will allow you to address the most common delays
Not really. The project isn’t to eliminate all delays, it’s to reduce delays. So puncture-proof tires will reduce delays due to puncture repairs. They won’t address delays due to roadworks, but they’ll help.
Old 08-29-19, 05:59 PM
Bandera
~>~

A series of properly timed traffic control signals set to an urban bike commuter's pace will "reduce delays" for cyclists more than any widget that be can devised.
Of course the hordes of motorized commuters we "share the road" with may disagree with that infrastructure re-work policy, but your "urban planning" course would Ace it.

-Bandera
Old 08-29-19, 06:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
As stated in an earlier post, something to change traffic signals to green as needed to keep pace. Fire trucks already have this capability in many places.
Old 08-29-19, 06:48 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Not really. The project isn’t to eliminate all delays, it’s to reduce delays. So puncture-proof tires will reduce delays due to puncture repairs. They won’t address delays due to roadworks, but they’ll help.
That only addresses one reason for delays. Tire repair on the road is something that has been dealt with as long as pneumatic tires have existed. One would think that this would have been taken into account for this question. There is no such thing as a puncture proof bicycle tire unless the tire isn't pneumatic.
Old 08-29-19, 06:55 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by dedhed
As stated in an earlier post, something to change traffic signals to green as needed to keep pace. Fire trucks already have this capability in many places.
Great product, except when there's more than one and the users are traveling in opposite directions it's a Chaos Generator.
Amusing perhaps for a sociopathic anarchist but also a great way to get arrested, especially if keeping emergency vehicles from getting where they need to be "without delays".

-Bandera
Old 08-29-19, 07:46 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
A portable personal tailwind would help immensely.
Likes For OmegaWolf:
Old 08-29-19, 09:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

My delays would be reduced drastically if all you slow-pokes would move out of my way.
Old 08-29-19, 09:43 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
This thread depresses me because there are just so many things I’d like to say to the OP about this project, but I’ve really been trying not to hang onto negative feelings and judgments...
so I’ve got nothing to add!
Old 08-29-19, 10:05 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by OmegaWolf

Beans?
Old 08-29-19, 11:12 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
That only addresses one reason for delays. Tire repair on the road is something that has been dealt with as long as pneumatic tires have existed. One would think that this would have been taken into account for this question. There is no such thing as a puncture proof bicycle tire unless the tire isn't pneumatic.
“Only addressing one reason for delays” would still meet the brief of the project. Per the OP, “the design brief is to "create a product that reduces delays on bike travel".” So the project is 1) identify a cause of delays, 2) develop a product to reduce that delay. The brief does not say “eliminate all delays.”

What’s wrong with non-pneumatic tires? It would reduce at least one cause of delays, and so meet the brief. Only problem being that they already exist.
Old 08-29-19, 11:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
It is hard to say. The main thing that can cause one to miss an appointment is a flat tire. Most avid long-distance commuters bring the tools and supplies to fix a simple flat.

Buying high quality modern tires are MUCH better than those from a couple of decades ago. Nonetheless, it is always worth considering whether one can build the better tire.

Sealants?

Tannus, of course, makes flat-free tires, but they come with performance costs.

For other failures. I'll occasionally get a broken chain. So far I've never broken an 11-speed chain, and the better the chain, the fewer broken chains. Most of the new ones have some kind of mushroomed pins that are less likely to break. And, I try to carry the tools and parts I'd need to fix a broken chain, or limp home.

Broken spokes are also rare. Again, I have the tools I need to deal with them.

Slipping chains usually don't stop one beside the road, but in general is just a maintenance issue, along with a host of other maintenance issues.

A zero maintenance bicycle would be interesting, but I don't believe very practical. Build the bicycle like a car, 100,000 miles between tune-ups? Spokeless wheels?

It sounds like riding a TANK.
Old 08-30-19, 02:32 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Macmad
Thanks for all the replies, this is for a GCSE tech project and the design brief is to "create a product that reduces delays on bike travel".

Keep the ideas coming 👍
Does the design brief actually use the word "delays"?
Old 08-30-19, 03:37 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
That sounds like a job for the...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2howud
Old 08-30-19, 03:37 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Three main cause of delays are: weather conditions, road conditions, traffic. Good luck trying to eliminate those.
Old 08-30-19, 04:01 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I am sometimes delayed because I can't find the HR monitor, gloves, light, etc. that I'm looking for.

I welcome your product design to help with this problem.

Also sloth, and procrastination are issues.
Cant help you with procrastination. Been meaning to get around to that one myself. The other stuff sounds like it falls into the MariKondo category. I have storage set up for bike and run specific items. What your personal needs are may not be mine. I have seen some shelf/storage builds for an all in one station for helmet, shoes, bottles and misc gear in one unit. That in my house would be an additional step towards divorce.
Old 08-30-19, 05:00 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Buying high quality modern tires are MUCH better than those from a couple of decades ago. Nonetheless, it is always worth considering whether one can build the better .
In the OPs defense, this may not be such a bad assignment. If we were to apply the same concept to automobiles, a few decades ago, what might we target? Flat tires, poor starting from poor gas or water in the gas, burnt ignition points, low battery charge, broken fuel gauges so you run out of gas, over heating engines, etc. With cars and infrastructure built in the past decade or so, these issues have been almost forgotten due to products that, one by one, made cars and using cars more reliable. And, at the same time, improved performance.

Avoid the tendency to cling to status quo. "Why worry about ignition points? We have the tools to set em, even change em out on the side of the road. They're good for over 15,000 miles. What's the problem?"

Or look at electric cars: battery quality and life span, charging stations, maintenance procedures and trained personnel..........

So, from that perspective, what could be done to cycling?
Old 08-30-19, 06:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by OmegaWolf
Old 08-30-19, 06:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
You should just say that you are trying to design a better multi-tool.

You need a clearly defined problem statement. A “delay” is not a problem, it’s a consequence as a result of a problem. You stated that you wanted to speed up repairs so think about what problems you are trying to mitigate.
Old 08-30-19, 07:12 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
I would think some sort of time travel/portal would be useful. Get a flat and just go back a few minutes and swerve around the odject that gave you the flat.
For commuting, instead of the normal grind of riding to work and back. A person could travel to a national/scenic park and ride for an hour or so, then travel back to work/home.
Or a money tree, yea a money tree would sure make any delay a little more enjoyable. 😘😘🎄🎄
Old 08-30-19, 07:21 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I am sometimes delayed because I can't find the HR monitor, gloves, light, etc. that I'm looking for.

I welcome your product design to help with this problem.

Also sloth, and procrastination are issues.
I've developed a product that eliminates bike delays due to rounding up your HR monitor, gloves, light, etc.
Introductory pricing at around $8. Still working on sloth, I'll maybe get to procrastination next week.

https://www.target.com/p/16qt-indust...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by grizzly59; 08-30-19 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 07:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Prowler
In the OPs defense, this may not be such a bad assignment. If we were to apply the same concept to automobiles, a few decades ago, what might we target? Flat tires, poor starting from poor gas or water in the gas, burnt ignition points, low battery charge, broken fuel gauges so you run out of gas, over heating engines, etc. With cars and infrastructure built in the past decade or so, these issues have been almost forgotten due to products that, one by one, made cars and using cars more reliable. And, at the same time, improved performance.

Avoid the tendency to cling to status quo. "Why worry about ignition points? We have the tools to set em, even change em out on the side of the road. They're good for over 15,000 miles. What's the problem?"

Or look at electric cars: battery quality and life span, charging stations, maintenance procedures and trained personnel..........

So, from that perspective, what could be done to cycling?
A device that would make it easier to figure out if you got the object that punctured your tube out of the tire before putting in the new tube.
Old 08-30-19, 09:34 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
There must be a million products marketed to us to solve every problem we have or just imagine we have. The question would be why don't we adopt these products? Plenty of people use essentially flat-proof tires, belt drives, gear hubs, dynamo lights. Others will prefer a bike that possesses none of these but weighs 8 kilos not 15 and is so, so much faster.
Genesis 49:16-17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.