Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Illusion of "aero" bike frames

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Illusion of "aero" bike frames

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 07:09 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Cumulative gains....If you get to the coffee shop 5 seconds sooner, you may get there before the school bus, and avoid being stuck behind 15 middle-schoolers ordering pumpkin spice caramel macchiatos.

Thus saving 20 minutes!
Exactly.

Old 10-05-19, 02:46 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'd be very surprised if Lemond's "aero" Bottecchia frame reduced much drag at all, despite the tiny "fin" behind the head tube, and what I gather were ovalised main tubes.
For instance, recent tests have obviously shown that a horizontal top tube is more aero. I suspect he would've been better off on a standard frame (perhaps smaller than his usual size, to enable the low bars) with a long, aero seatpost
Old 10-05-19, 07:16 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Laurent Fignon certainly gave it his 'all' for he pretty much fell off his bike at the finish. Spectacular stuff, there!!!
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 10-06-19, 03:56 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxkite
Laurent Fignon certainly gave it his 'all' for he pretty much fell off his bike at the finish. Spectacular stuff, there!!!

Back in 1973 when I started to become interested in bicycling I often read that a proper TT finish ends with one ON THE GROUND!!!
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 10-06-19, 05:15 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
I'd be very surprised if Lemond's "aero" Bottecchia frame reduced much drag at all, despite the tiny "fin" behind the head tube, and what I gather were ovalised main tubes.
For instance, recent tests have obviously shown that a horizontal top tube is more aero. I suspect he would've been better off on a standard frame (perhaps smaller than his usual size, to enable the low bars) with a long, aero seatpost
All that engineering stuff is well beyond my intellectual pay grade. However, I know from personal experience that if a training technique or a piece of equipment genuinely creates an advantage in a racer's mind; it will.
Old 10-06-19, 01:03 PM
531Aussie

Originally Posted by nomadmax
All that engineering stuff is well beyond my intellectual pay grade. However, I know from personal experience that if a training technique or a piece of equipment genuinely creates an advantage in a racer's mind; it will.
Yes, someone told me on here a long time ago to never underestimate the placebo effect, after I derided someone I saw in a race frantically scoffing some chocolate less than 2km from the finish
Likes For 531Aussie:
Old 10-06-19, 02:02 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I derided someone I saw in a race frantically scoffing some chocolate less than 2km from the finish

You derided them during the race? I'd have encouraged them to keep eating! One less person to worry about in the finale.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 10-06-19, 02:31 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Surprising that they haven't gone to using dimples on the frame like they do with golf balls...or maybe they have.🤷
That won't work. People have tried that on cars. It seems to only work for spinning balls.
Old 10-06-19, 04:08 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I thought we skinny guys were more aero! I guess this explains why some of the fat boys clean my clock on the flats and downs. Got to put on some avoirdupois this winter.
I have a military bag from my stepdad; I would use it to carry a load of laundry and I swear I was faster. I figured it made my body more aero, as there was more surface area along my side profile and a more rounded trailing edge versus my turbulent flat back. Almost like the magnus effect, especially since I wasn't going 20+mph. I still felt the difference, I wasn't pushing as hard to get speed.
Old 10-06-19, 04:22 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by RChung
If only it were somehow possible to measure differences in drag between two bikes while a rider's legs are moving.
Old 10-06-19, 04:46 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by sheddle
no thanks, I'll stick with the Huffy Aerowind, the only scientifically proven bike to provide maximum marginal gains

phwoar, must have been made by that Cervelo von Vroom guy
I knew somebody that had one of these tanks at the co-op. We were comparing the frame simularities to it and my Genesis Roadtech, as both are technically aero frames. Yes my roadtech was lighter, even than his 1990 World Sport.
Old 10-06-19, 11:33 PM
531Aussie

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You derided them during the race?
Ha, nah, on here.

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I'd have encouraged them to keep eating! One less person to worry about in the finale.
Good point. Even if it he wasn't busy chewing, he might've been too busy unwrapping all the stuff he had in his pockets
Old 10-06-19, 11:38 PM
531Aussie

Originally Posted by sheddle
no thanks, I'll stick with the Huffy Aerowind, the only scientifically proven bike to provide maximum marginal gains
Jee, those brake levers bring back some memories. Well, not so much those ones with the extra extensions, but the standard ones that first came out without the cable sticking out the top. I remember they called them "aero levers", at least they did down here in Australia. As soon as I got some and saw what a simple design they were, I wondered why the hell we ever had the cables sticking out the top.
Old 10-07-19, 12:35 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I wondered why the hell we ever had the cables sticking out the top.
Because it's the same design that levers for flat bars use.

Also because it allows for housing routing with minimal sharp bends, which helps to minimize cable friction. Almost nobody bothered putting return springs in brake levers until "aero" cable routing added a bunch of stiction.

Also because you can fiddle with brake cables and housing without pulling up the bar tape. (Downtube shifters achieve the same result for shift cables and housing.)

Anyway, the main advantage of "aero" brake levers isn't the housing routing at all. It's the placement of the brake lever pivot: it gives the fingers a more squeeze-like pull angle when braking from the hoods.
Old 10-07-19, 12:51 AM
531Aussie

Good points. Interesting
Old 10-07-19, 05:02 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Purely a matter of curiosity while scanning this thread, is there any science to back this "aero" business, with wind tunnel tests, etc?
Old 10-07-19, 06:55 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Surprising that they haven't gone to using dimples on the frame like they do with golf balls...or maybe they have.🤷
I realize that this was mostly in jest, but just because this is an internet discussion board ...

The reason for dimples on a golf ball is to disturb laminar flow where that combined with the spin of the ball creates lift. So we need a design where the TT spins creating a huge advantage on the climbs

dave
Old 10-07-19, 07:07 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Univega's 1984 catalog shows a 20 lb "Aero" model as their top of the line bike. I have never seen one of these, they must be quite rare. Would love to modify one of these with modern wheels and components.

Old 10-07-19, 07:13 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I realize that this was mostly in jest, but just because this is an internet discussion board ...

The reason for dimples on a golf ball is to disturb laminar flow where that combined with the spin of the ball creates lift. So we need a design where the TT spins creating a huge advantage on the climbs

dave
Not so fast, grasshopper.

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/22/...-dimpling-mpg/
Old 10-07-19, 07:43 AM
531Aussie

Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC

Now, there's an idea: dimpled outer shells of the head tube, fork blades and the top of the bars that spin as we ride. What the hell, how about a rotating, dimpled helmet shell and suit?!? It's probably already been thought about.

Last edited by 531Aussie; 10-07-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-07-19, 09:35 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Now, there's an idea: outer shells of the head tube, fork blades and the top of the bars than spin as we ride. What the hell, how about a rotating, dimpled helmet shell and suit. It's probably already been thought about.
If it's good enough for a ship it's good enough for a bike. As for a catchy name......hmmm....
Old 10-07-19, 12:41 PM
531Aussie

Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
If it's good enough for a ship it's good enough for a bike. As for a catchy name......hmmm....
The Magnus Effect? Nice. Perhaps if some of the normally non-moving parts of the bike spun like this, the minor lift generated could reduce rolling resistance.