Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keeping a dirty bike in an apartment

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 08-07-19, 12:00 PM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hi there,

I'm moving into a new apartment in a month and will have to keep my bike inside my unit. The front entrance way into the unit is small and you make an immediate right turn once walking in and then a left to get to the kitchen/living room. I have space to store the bike in the main area of the unit but don't want to track in dirt since I commute in wet conditions and also in the winter. Does anyone have ideas to keep my bike inside without thoroughly washing the bike or floor every time (basically every day)?

I believe I may have space right at the front entrance to store my bike vertically with hooks but I'm concerned about getting dirt on the walls from the tires and also about the strength of hooks in drywall. I'm looking at the following hooks:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0687091p.html
https://www.amazon.com/CLUGTM-Small-...?tag=geapat-20
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Steadyrac...klVwD0LXUWb0s0

Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 08-07-19, 12:18 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Velosock and/or hit it with a garden sprayer before you bring it in.
Old 08-10-19, 01:04 AM
DennisPortillo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is quite difficult to keep a dirty bike inside the home.
Old 08-10-19, 05:06 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
It seems like when my bike is dirty, it immediately climbs up on guests or furniture...seriously, I think something like a velosock is a good idea. If you just want to keep the spots on the wall clean where the tires touch, consider some clear film such as Sure Swatch (we got it at Home Depot in paint department)...these are 9x12" low tack, adhesive backed clear film, usually used to try paint colors on walls. I've had a piece (painted blue) on my den wall for over a month and it is holding up fine...you can move them a few times before the adhesive expires. No mess on wall. Lol, if you like this idea, come help paint my den!
Old 08-10-19, 05:21 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I don't understand the logistical layout exactly, but if you are just getting your bike just inside the door way or close to it, just go get yourself an area rug that covers that territory. Something you don't care about destroying, you can take outside and shake off, and something that will hold up to weather. You can go to home depot and get a piece of scrap something, somewhere, or even go to a local thrift store is where I found mine. It's about 6 feet long and 2 feet wide, and made more like a front door matt than it is carpet. I just role my bike in the front door and directly onto that. If you have some length to go, just make it longer. If you have turns to deal with, just do the same. You can even get a temp strip of something to get to the area you have permanently laid down and pick it up when you have guests or don't want it in the way.

Don't cheat though on dry days or patches of carpet that are exposed. Even light dirt on the tires will wear on the carpet fast. As for the walls, you can get as creative or expensive as you want. You can DIY areas you know are prone to contact with all different kinds of ideas and materials. Home depot is your best friend. If you are going around a corner a lot where dry wall is exposed, I would find some kind of plastic strip that is bent in a 90 degree to cover that and protect it. You could even DIY that too with just about anything, even as simple as cardboard and duct tape. You can be as creative or ghetto as you want on it depending on your budget. I would be creative and DIY something fun or cool.

Often you can find fun and usable things in thrift stores to protect areas you are worried about.
Old 08-15-19, 12:08 PM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Velosock and/or hit it with a garden sprayer before you bring it in.
I like the idea of the Velosock but am unsure if I'm willing to spend that much on one... What about an old fitted sheet...
Old 08-15-19, 01:57 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclepost
I like the idea of the Velosock but am unsure if I'm willing to spend that much on one... What about an old fitted sheet...
Why not? or maybe a waterproof mattress cover or this bike cover upside-down. Plenty of DIY hacks. Get creative!
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-16-19, 01:29 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Buy new towels. Make sure they are brown or dark green or dark blue. Wipe down your bike in the hall with a used towel from the day before, and wipe up the floor (with it) when you are done. Boom.
Old 08-16-19, 04:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Buy new towels. Make sure they are brown or dark green or dark blue. Wipe down your bike in the hall with a used towel from the day before, and wipe up the floor (with it) when you are done. Boom.
And store the bike in the bathtub in case there are further drips.

-Tim-
Old 08-27-19, 07:16 AM
Xanthippus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I kept my bikes on large shoe mats from the dollar store to catch dirt and drips when I lived in an apt.
Old 08-27-19, 08:40 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If there's not enough room to store the bike horizontally, I would look at a free-standing vertical rack, and just set the whole thing in a large drip pan, like the type that go under washing machines-- they're usually around 30" x 30". If it can be stored horizontally, just two drip pans, lean the bike against the wall. Or one of those wall-mounted hangers that hangs the bike by the top tube.
Old 08-28-19, 09:02 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
While just Googling your storage issue I had a thought. Maybe two of those shallow, plastic bins for storing things under beds. Clamp them together somehow and put one wheel in each bin. You might even be able to do some light cleaning of the bike while it sits in the bins, and then carry them outside to dump them out.

Dan
Old 08-30-19, 05:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Here is my personal solution which I've been using for the past 12 years...I carry a small plastic brush with me during winter riding. I flip the bike upside down in front of my apartment lobby and brush off as much snow and dirt as possible from the frame, wheels and tires before bringing it inside the elevator and then home. Inside my apartment I have some large water proof mats on the floor. I lean my bike against the wall and let it drip off and dry on top of the mats. The mats will need cleaning after each winter season. I just sweep all the dried salt and junk and wipe them clean.
Old 09-19-19, 10:01 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
I just park mine on some old towels if it's not too bad. If it's frozen and glazed over pretty heavily, I just give it a quick rinse in our spare shower. I made a video about it last year. Got to get creative living in an apartment!

Last edited by Le Mechanic; 09-19-19 at 10:02 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 10-07-19, 08:19 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Super wet and yucky here in the winter. Same problem here with no access to a common outside hose situation. I wipe off the biggest debris outside, then bring it up and put it on some old towels. Then, I do a proper wipe-down, including the drivetrain and brakes, etc. Then, I throw it in the shower. Works fine. Gotta keep the chain lubed, though.
Old 10-07-19, 10:16 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
While just Googling your storage issue I had a thought. Maybe two of those shallow, plastic bins for storing things under beds. Clamp them together somehow and put one wheel in each bin. You might even be able to do some light cleaning of the bike while it sits in the bins, and then carry them outside to dump them out.

Dan
Yeah, something like this. For other reasons, I have large plastic pans that were designed to be liners for large dog crates. The largest liner might work, though you might need to place the bike diagonally. But it would take up a lot of space.

Those of us who have really cold temperatures have challenges cleaning off bikes before we take them inside in winter- the filthy ice build up can be extreme. You can't easily "wash it off outside" because you can't operate your outdoor hose at that temperature and a bucket of water isn't enough to melt all the ice. If you don't have an indoor heated place to let the bike thaw, you're going to be bringing much of the filth inside. The velosock isn't going to prevent that. A sturdy plastic pan for collecting the melt-filth may help.

Fortunately, I can do all this in my garage. An apartment without a garage in Minnesota or Ontario would be a big challenge for a winter bike.

Last edited by MinnMan; 10-07-19 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-13-19, 09:16 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
There are disposable plastic matress bags that should last a few uses before they need to be replaced. Back when I left my bike out doors I used inexpensive grill covers as a bike cover. Some have drawstings and a cord clamp. If you were to flip it upside down it may work.

Even plastic drop cloth with a some duct tape would work as a carry cover.

Plastic fitted sheets also look like a reasonably-priced option.
Old 10-22-19, 06:07 PM
loheiman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
$10 knockoff version from Aliexpress