Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Atkins and Cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Atkins and Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 02:23 PM
MacMan
Sick ... again

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about Sushi? Christ, I could eat that stuff all day, every day
Old 08-04-04, 02:32 PM
Ajay213
Bring the tech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this at your local supermarket.
Considering most of the rude people at my local super-market I'd say my "hunting" takes skills never thought of in ancient times and I would gladly take a spear with me.

Andrew
Old 08-04-04, 02:32 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
According to Dr. Lardo Atkins, sushi is out: too much bad carb rice (...yet, obesity not a big problem in Asia, oh well). Sashimi is in. Sashimi rules.

Old 08-04-04, 03:12 PM
neuronbliss

Bikes: 2003 Softride Rocket R1; 2012 Trek Hifi Deluxe; 1970 Raleigh Super Course, Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tightened my belt another notch this week. I’m 5’ 10”, 180 lbs., 47 years old. Last night I ate pizza and today I had a double cheeseburger value meal from McD’s. All within my Atkins diet plan. It’s great to know that I’m not going to gain the weight back!
Eating at McD would tear my stomach up! I'd have cramps and be squirting for a week. I doubt my wife would let me sleep in our bed either...
Old 08-04-04, 03:52 PM
nowonder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, to everyone who believes the press about Atkins being obese when he died, Please note that the press release of the death certificate came from PCRM, an arm of PETA. The PCRM are doing everything they can to discredit the diet because they believe it encourages meat consumption. Never mind that there are vegitarians on Atkins.

Yes, the doctor did gain weight while in a coma being pumped full of IV fluids. A week before his accident, he weighed in at 195. I don't think we can should blame the diet for weight gained in a coma.

--nw
Old 08-04-04, 06:40 PM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're an active person, you shouldn't be on the Atkins diet. You should focus more on increasing carbs, but still maintain a sensible balance of good fats, and protein.

Cylclists should never decrease carb intake. It's the essential fuel for us.

If you're looking to lose weight, just don't over eat...plain and simple.
Old 08-04-04, 07:03 PM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first heard and read about the Atkins diet I too thought it was a very bad idea, after looking into it the end result is you end up on a fairly normal diet with healthy food. Not that low carb at all except for the first part, I do believe it has become a "fad" and has a life of it's own. I could never figure out why someone on a unhealthy diet would go to the extreme of this diet (first part of it) without trying a common sense way of eating healthier. I'm 53 years old 6 feet tall and weigh 160 lbs. after losing 40 lbs with a less junk food diet and riding four times a week. I eat all the carbs I want when ever I want with no problems. I do believe some people have to watch what they eat more than others. No black and white answer for everyone on this subject.
Old 08-04-04, 08:23 PM
nowonder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspark
I could never figure out why someone on a unhealthy diet would go to the extreme of this diet (first part of it) without trying a common sense way of eating healthier.

Because the "common sense way of eating healthier" does not work for everyone. When I was fat, it wasn't from eating twinkies all day... I ate balanced meals. When I did this, I did better at maintaining my weight, but didn't lose anything.

That being said, there is no one perfect diet (as in way of eating, not weight loss) for everyone. Some people lose weight on low fat, some on low carb, some on low-cal. Some need organized plans like weight watchers, others can do it with a book.

What I'm saying is that the junior Lance Armstrongs of this board don't need a low carb diet, but my 300lb butt certainly did. I'm not trying to convince them to go low carb, but I can't understand why they are working to convince others not to.

--nw
Old 08-04-04, 09:50 PM
fujiacerider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VeganRider
Lets say it the way it really is. It's all just dead animal flesh!
Trust me when I say this.......No one needs to raise, torture, then kill any animal for the sake of a meal. Our bodies are not designed to process dead animal flesh and you would never believe how good you can feel without it. There is so much hype on what we "need" so others make money. Want to loose weight? stop eating meat, its condensed calories anyhow.
Though your statement is blatantly wrong, our bodies also aren't designed for driving automobiles, talking on cell phones, watching TV, eating with forks, shaving, or riding bicycles either. But we like them all, no?

I hunt, I kill, I eat,
Cole
Old 08-04-04, 09:57 PM
cycleprincess
NEVER WALK A HILL

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe Specialized Dolce Vita Multi Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG...you have got to click on that fatkins link above!!! You will laugh till you cry!! Thanks for that sorebutt...I needed the laugh!!!
Old 08-04-04, 10:38 PM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleprincess
OMG...you have got to click on that fatkins link above!!! You will laugh till you cry!! Thanks for that sorebutt...I needed the laugh!!!
bwahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahaha...friggin' hilarious...
Old 08-05-04, 08:57 AM
DocRay

Originally Posted by kerk
I tightened my belt another notch this week. I’m 5’ 10”, 180 lbs., 47 years old. Last night I ate pizza and today I had a double cheeseburger value meal from McD’s. All within my Atkins diet plan. It’s great to know that I’m not going to gain the weight back!

He he..., save up for the angioplasty now.
McDogcrap food has almost no nutritive value. No Fibre, none, and almost no vitamin content. See "Supersize me" -26 days is all it took.

Old 08-05-04, 09:05 AM
duracann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fujiacerider
Though your statement is blatantly wrong, our bodies also aren't designed for driving automobiles, talking on cell phones, watching TV, eating with forks, shaving, or riding bicycles either. But we like them all, no?

I hunt, I kill, I eat,
Cole
...actually, I hate shaving, eating with a fork, talking on cell phones, and watching tv(I do it anyway).

Driving and riding bikes, now that's what I like!
Old 08-05-04, 09:12 AM
kerk

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Greenway, 2011 Raleigh International, 3 - '73 World Voyageurs, Trek 700

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
He he..., save up for the angioplasty now.
McDogcrap food has almost no nutritive value. No Fibre, none, and almost no vitamin content. See "Supersize me" -26 days is all it took.
I eat fast food once every two weeks. I don't think that is going to put me on track for the angioplasty. I saw the move. It was amazing, I really liked it.

My point about eating at McD's was that if I want to, I can eat stuff like that within limits. So many people say "you can't eat that on the Atkins diet" and they have no clue as to what they are talking about.

Also, those of you who are saying that you can't work out while on Atkins don't realize that you are supposed to adjust your carb intake based on the amount you will burn. There is no set limit to the number of carbs that I am supposed to eat in a day. The book is very clear in stating that everyone's limit will be different and it will depend on the amount of exercise you get. It is strongly recommended that you experiment with your carb intake and monitor and adjust it accordingly. It is ok to be on Atkins and take in 300+ carbs a day, IF you burn it off.
Proud owner of all three colors made! Orange, Blue , Yellow .
Old 08-05-04, 09:31 AM
DocRay

Originally Posted by VeganRider
No. Geesh..There are many physical differences, one is that humans have long smooth intestines, the food stays there much longer than animals that you describe that have short intestines with a much different design; the dead decaying flesh passes through them fast. This type and much more information is avilable on the net if you really want to know true facts.
The LAST place to get "facts" is from the internet. The same sites will tell you that rubbing rocks transfer energy to heal. There are very nice websites that describe the benefits of smoking, racism, etc. Sorry ,but there is a lot of good, peer-reviewed research that demonstrates that pure vegan diets (no dairy, no meat) are harmful even after a few years. Any biochemist or physiologist can tell you why, you are omitting important building blocks that human metabolism cannot produce. Humans evolved eating meats (what do you think they're doing on those cave paintings? Phish concert?), just not the mass quantities they consume now. I have high veg diet, but I know the need for lysine and vitamins I get from dairy and fish. I have friends that are vegan, and the cult status is frankly creepy, and they are always seeking remedies because they never feel well.

As for diets and weight loss, it's simple, you cannot lose weight unless your activity level exceeds your caloric intake. A balanced diet (with less QUANTITY)and more exercise is the ONLY safe way. Sorry America, but there are no magic pills , bracelets, magnets, diets or otherwise that will effect the fact: eat less, do more. Lifestyle studies are clear, North Americans eat more and do less.

Sometimes as a scientist I wonder why society bothers to spend millions on research, only to hear what they don't want to, make up stuff on a website and do whatever they want anyway, then hope research will find a cure for what's killing them.

Old 08-05-04, 09:38 AM
duracann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kerk
I eat fast food once every two weeks. I don't think that is going to put me on track for the angioplasty. I saw the move. It was amazing, I really liked it.
You did say that you had pizza the night before too. Unless you made it yourself, that is a little too much crap for a dieting person to handle in less than 24 hours. Depending on your portions you may be ok, but I would try to steer away from mcdeath if you can. I am a firm believer in the sandwiches at subway while training. Turkey on wheat is a great way to get carbs and it tastes great. Does the Atkins diet allow this?
Old 08-05-04, 09:48 AM
Ajay213
Bring the tech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a firm believer in the sandwiches at subway while training.
You have to watch out at Subway as well, there is quite a bit of junk there. My favorite sandwich (BMT) on a foot long with extra meat and cheese has more calories in it than most McDonalds meals. That's an extreme example for sure. But most of the subs even in 6" will run close to 500 calories, and they are very skimpy on the fixins' (2 small pieces of cheese, 2 pieces of meat on a 6" sub).

Still healthier than McDonalds (from a junk perspective), but the calorie counts can add up.

Andrew
Old 08-05-04, 09:54 AM
DocRay

Subway sandwiches? Man, marketing and TV really work. If they can sell that crap as healthy...

why fast food? It's better and cheaper from fresh food bought at the market.

Old 08-05-04, 09:57 AM
duracann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calories are not a problem for me (I like to ride 50+miles at a time at speed) I dont eat the crap at subway. Just maybe a turkey or veggie or maybe a BLT at worst. I am only talking about how I feel afterwards as a good indicator of what I ate. I can eat subway and still feel like training after it has digested.
Old 08-05-04, 10:00 AM
duracann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Subway sandwiches? Man, marketing and TV really work. If they can sell that crap as healthy...

why fast food? It's better and cheaper from fresh food bought at the market.
I don't eat it very often. I just eat it when I have no other alternative. It is better than mcds. Healthy to me is tofu and fresh made bread from freshly ground hard red winter wheat.
Old 08-05-04, 10:00 AM
pletcgm

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's better and cheaper from fresh food bought at the market.
You're right about fresh food being better, but it sure isn't cheaper. To eat healthy, it costs!!!
Old 08-05-04, 10:02 AM
duracann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And some of us can't even get it genious (wyoming)
Old 08-05-04, 10:11 AM
DocRay

I forgot about that. That was my biggest complaint about living in NC. It's either big supermarket chains that have rotten vegetables (but lots 'o fresh pork and wonder bread), or these organic food boutiques that sell carrots for $3 each.
Up here, a mother could feed her kids well, and better, for a week on what a single meal at Wendy's cost.

You're welcome. And it's spelled genius, if you're going to be a smart-ass, at least get it right.

Last edited by DocRay; 08-05-04 at 10:27 AM.

Old 08-05-04, 11:18 AM
duracann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot about that. That was my biggest complaint about living in NC. It's either big supermarket chains that have rotten vegetables (but lots 'o fresh pork and wonder bread), or these organic food boutiques that sell carrots for $3 each.
Up here, a mother could feed her kids well, and better, for a week on what a single meal at Wendy's cost.

You're welcome. And it's spelled genius, if you're going to be a smart-ass, at least get it right.
I ain't a smart-ass, I'm a dumb-ass
Old 08-05-04, 01:35 PM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the Fatkins thing is pretty good... Makes a good point... Any diet that says 3 cheeseburgers is OK when an apple isn't has something wrong with it. My parents are on a diet and they were saying they could't drink orange juice. On the other hand, my Dad can wolf down the big Hardees Super Angus Mucho Burg-o-rama thing. I love 'em, but I know know what's gonna put them in a nursing home: no liver

OTOH, Americans DO eat WAAAAAAAAAAY to many carbs. Supposedly it takes 50-60g of carbs to ride at a solid pace for an hour. If I'm Mr. "6 pack curl" American and I eat 300g of carbs in a day, I'm gonna get fat. So in that respect, the Atkins diet DOES have something going for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.