Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dream bike, Cutom size or other (carbon)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 01:59 PM
karlfitt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK,
I'm sorry it's another dream bike thread, but I searched.

One 3 or 4 people have mentioned a custom fitted bike for their dream bike.
Are standard frames that good? Or do you like a certain bike maker for another reason?

I ask because I am a major gear head (not just bike but anything with moving parts) and Carbon Fibre really does it for me. But in thinking of my ultime bike I am wondering if I could (or should) give up Carbon for a bike made just for me?

I will never be a racer. Probably never tour, but I would take my bike with me to an area for some rides from a central point. I am also a Clydsdale class rider, so durability comes to mind too.

Campy comes to mind for obvious reasons. But Shimano has a good reputation in my eye as well.

Anyway, I guess the main question is why a custom sized frame? And where do i go to start reasearching who makes custom frames?

TIA,
Karl
Old 08-11-04, 02:15 PM
khackney
Bicycle Luge Racer

Bikes: Modern, old, fixed, mountain.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karlfitt
I ask because I am a major gear head (not just bike but anything with moving parts) and Carbon Fibre really does it for me. But in thinking of my ultime bike I am wondering if I could (or should) give up Carbon for a bike made just for me?
No, if CF is your dream then there are some folks that do custom carbon. Landshark is an example.

As for custom makers. A lot of them specialize in steel. With a few more doing titainium. Some of the reasons for this are that there are lots of tubes that can be assembled in different combination to get the ride characteristics that a customer wants. The reason more don't do Ti is because it is a very demanding material to work with and weld and requires different skills and equipment.

Off the shelf frames are fine for most of us. Fine but not perfect in many cases. Perfect is the exact fit for your body, finish and details that you pick when someone makes a frame just for you...

Google search, Dave Kirk, Landshark, Richard Moon, Sachs, Spectrum, Anvil, Strong, Vanilla, and Serotta. That should get you started. Then Bohemian, JP Weigle, and Albert Eisentraut.

Damn, now I won't sleep tonight.
Old 08-11-04, 02:29 PM
Ajay213
Bring the tech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.crumptoncycles.com/ - Custom carbon frame builder
https://calfeedesign.com/customframes.shtml Calfee custom carbon frames
https://www.veloeuropa.com Custom Carbon frames

Just start searching, they are out there.

Steel is popular because it's cheap, easy to work with, multitude of parts to use among other things. Pretty much the same with Al. Ti is a bit different, as mentioned it's not very easy to work with as it requires a very specialized enviroment to weld in, quite a few of the custom Ti builders just take your measurements and send them off to a manufacture for the frame to be built (as opposed to building a steel or Al frame which could basically be done in your living room...well, if you were single).

Andrew
Old 08-11-04, 02:38 PM
MtnMan

Bikes: Fondriest & Serotta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
90% of the population will fit into an off the shelf frame. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a custom. A good builder can alter the ride characteristics (stiffness, compliance) according to the individuals needs and preferences.

Calfee makes custom carbon frames that are supposedly "the bomb." They have a owner's forum out there on the 'net somewhere that you might want to peruse. Also, Calfee's hompage is worth a visit.
Old 08-11-04, 03:01 PM
karlfitt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only recently started thinking custom because of some comments I have read, like already mentioned here. A custom frame would be made, not only for my size, but how "I" ride.

I ride for recreation and fitness. I have not been disapointed with the comfort of my currnet bike (which is new by they way) All of the "Dream Bike" and "Bike you can't affort" threat just got my gears turning.

I just recently started a program with a nutritionist, and decided that when i reach my goal, I should get a reward. And being the anal retentive kind of guy I am, I wanted to get a head start on the research.
Old 08-11-04, 03:34 PM
telenick
1/2 a binding 1/2 a brain

Bikes: Serotta Ottrott ST, Titus RX100, Seven Sola 29er HT in the works

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
research this:

A Titus Full Custom Racer Exogrid Ti/Carbon.

Old 08-11-04, 04:08 PM
sorebutt
Über member!

Bikes: 2004 Albert Eisentraut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for most people, the reason for a custom bike is the "cool" factor. You get a bike that is done for you, and only you, and it is customized and personalized just for you.

That's the reason I got my custom bike. I chose my bike to be built in the "classic" way, I.E. old fashion geometry, horizontal rear drops, an old fashion stem etc..
The is not my first or last bike, but this one is a keeper. My next bike will be a high-tech bike with the latest materials, components and geometry.. but I'll always keep my Steel 'Traut...

If you get a bike built by a local builder, you could get to see it built, maybe even do some work on it, and this is even more fun..
Old 08-11-04, 04:51 PM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people will be able to fit themselves to an off the shelf frame without too much trouble. The major issue is that if you're not Mr.Average, there is a good chance you'll have to make some compromises in the fit department. The other thing people don't realise, is that with an off the shelf frame, you're relying on the skill of the company to have worked out the optimal geometry for everyone of different heights and weights. Not all companies have done this well, and unless you've been 'into it' for a while, you won't know what companies have formulated a size matrix that is compatible with you.

That was a prime motivator for me when deciding to get into the frame business - nobody really made frames that were my size or were in line with my ideas or philosophy.

As to whether or not you 'need' a custom frame, well, an expensive bike is already well out of the basic needs category, so I would say most of us own bikes that are way too good for us in the first place anyway. I think the strongest reason for going custom is so that you have something that's unique, that says something about you and your 'commitment' for want of a better word to something you love - the bike. The second reason - a more practical one - is if you're somehow not 'average' or have some niggling problem of some sorts. This is when it's a good idea to go to a fit expert / cycling physiologist to have a look at you riding the bike and see if there's some glaring issues with how you're riding your stock bike. From there you can tweak your position or decide to go the custom route.

If you insist on carbon, Calfee and Parlee are the only custom full carbon bikes I can recommend. If you want a list of people doing Steel and Ti, www.bikeschool.com has an extensive list of custom builders.
Old 08-11-04, 06:22 PM
karlfitt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thylacine
That was a prime motivator for me when deciding to get into the frame business - nobody really made frames that were my size or were in line with my ideas or philosophy.

If you insist on carbon, Calfee and Parlee are the only custom full carbon bikes I can recommend. If you want a list of people doing Steel and Ti, www.bikeschool.com has an extensive list of custom builders.

Wait a minute, you build frames, but want to give me a list?

You sound like the person to deal with!

As to non standard sizing, I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam.
Old 08-11-04, 06:32 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
another carbon (single or tandem) custom frame builder:
ariZonatandems in Peoria, AZ
Old 08-12-04, 11:22 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Henryjames (.com) are a supplier of Stuff to bike frame builders and have an extensive list of US custom workshops.
Besides the issue of fit, the other good reason to go custom is to get the frame attatchments (braze-ons) that you want. You can run the cable how you like, (eg hydraulic tubing or fully sheathed cables), you can add extra bottle monts, dynamo mounts, pump pegs. This is more of an issue for touring cyclists rather than minimalist racers, who are well served by factory frames.
Old 08-12-04, 11:36 AM
chef_jmr
showing progress

Bikes: Serotta CSI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serotta Ottrott. Look no further. Fully Custom, Carbon and Titanium and out of my budget (but not my credit card limit).

Dream Bike…here
Old 08-12-04, 02:55 PM
karlfitt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chef_jmr
Serotta Ottrott. Look no further. Fully Custom, Carbon and Titanium and out of my budget (but not my credit card limit).

Dream Bike…here

Serrotta's web site is what got me started on this (my LBS web page has a link)

Although I'd go the other way with the frame and get the Legend
Old 08-12-04, 03:06 PM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why a custom frame ?why a custom suit or pair of shoes ? They fit better and are more comfortable. And if you are more comfortable you will find it easier to ride farther.
Old 08-12-04, 03:08 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
another carbon (single or tandem) custom frame builder:
ariZonatandems in Peoria, AZ
Hmmmmm... Custom carbon frame with S+S connectors? You've got my attention now. I was looking at the Co-Motion Espresso Co-Pilot but I'll have to add ariZonatandem's single to my potentials list.