Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

13.6lb bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

13.6lb bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 02:50 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
13.6lb bike

I was at my LBS, 360 Cyclesport (great shop BTW), and they have just built up a TIME VXRS and minus pedals they have got it down to 13.6#. They are waiting for the new LOOK Keo pedals, the ti version is only 95g per pedal! This thing is still waiting to be sized so most likely the seat post and fork will be cut down shaving off more grams. All of this wonderfull lightness can be had for about $9,500.00.
Old 08-24-04, 03:37 PM
PeaceGrabber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UCI ruled that a road bike can NOT be weight less than 6.8Kg. That is, 15 lbs. Uh, oh. The expensive bike cannot be use in racing. What a waste.
Old 08-24-04, 03:38 PM
sorebutt
Über member!

Bikes: 2004 Albert Eisentraut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so lets do some math just for fun:
a 19lb Giant with Ultegra can be gotten for for about $1100.. so, for the 5.4lb savings you pay $8,400.. this comes out to around $1,555 a pound.
I can go on a diet and lose 5.5lb in 4 weeks.. Wow! Id make a ton of money..
Old 08-24-04, 03:39 PM
lucien2

Bikes: Seven Resolute SLX, Gary Fischer ExCal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Legalize his diet plan!!!
Old 08-24-04, 03:46 PM
bhitour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why you haters always hating. Remember for some people $9,500.00 is not a lot of money.
Old 08-24-04, 03:49 PM
bhitour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should go out and earn it.
Old 08-24-04, 04:12 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sorebutt
a 19lb Giant with Ultegra can be gotten for for about $1100.. so, for the 5.4lb savings you pay $8,400.. this comes out to around $1,555 a pound.

Trust me if you lost 5.5# that Giant still wont feel like that TIME. I'm not saying I'd pay it (allthough if I had it.....) but my Orbea Orca at 15.10# would feel much better than that Giant. Besides if I lost 5.5# I'd start to look a little sick!
Old 08-24-04, 04:48 PM
Feltup
Pain Cleanseth

Bikes: On*One Imbred (commuter), Specialized Rockcombo(commuter)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MERTON
they need to give us some of that then... stupid bush tax plans.

I love them.
Old 08-24-04, 06:31 PM
sorebutt
Über member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
Trust me if you lost 5.5# that Giant still wont feel like that TIME. I'm not saying I'd pay it (allthough if I had it.....) but my Orbea Orca at 15.10# would feel much better than that Giant. Besides if I lost 5.5# I'd start to look a little sick!

I know what you are saying.. My Custom Eisentraut is much a better bike then my Giant, but it is also 3 pound heavier.. so it is not all about weight.. And thats the point I was trying (my attempt at humor) to make..
Old 08-24-04, 07:18 PM
daratbastid
We gotta go up there!?

Bikes: 199? GT-RST-3 dual, 199? Specialized Hardrock rigid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RACING? If I had that bike it wouldnt leave the house...no no Matter of fact I would build a plexiglass box around it and hire 2 armed guards
Old 08-24-04, 09:08 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daratbastid
RACING? If I had that bike it wouldnt leave the house...no no Matter of fact I would build a plexiglass box around it and hire 2 armed guards
then what the **** is the point? bikes are made to be ridden.
Old 08-24-04, 09:55 PM
ericmorin
Regular ol' schmo

Bikes: Fuju TeamSL, ProFlex Mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sorebutt

Ha! I lost 30lbs over the course of a year just commuting to work via bike.. who wants to start coughing up the money? I'll take paypal..
Old 08-24-04, 10:07 PM
Rippin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How can you make a post like this and not show any pictures??...tisk, tisk...
Old 08-24-04, 10:26 PM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all weight reduction is equal in effect -- for example, there's a lot of difference between taking a pound off of the rider and reducing rotating mass by taking a pound off of the wheelset of the bike. I'm not trying to argue that it's worth spending thousands to rid the bike of that last pound or two, just saying that there isn't a direct correlation between weight off the rider and weight off the bike.
Old 08-24-04, 11:09 PM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
g'day,

it's largely a mute point anyway, seeing as the UCI won't legalise anything under 6.8kg for racing. The other issue is, of course they can make 'em light, but the manufacturers aren't gunna guarantee them, therefore no-ones gunna buy them. Scott had a proto type bike out last year, I think they called it the CR1 superlight that came in at 4.6kg (10.1lbs)......I bet you can't get a lifetime warranty on technology that 'pushes the envelope' that much!........

cheers,

Hitchy
Old 08-25-04, 12:36 AM
sorebutt
Über member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericmorin
Ha! I lost 30lbs over the course of a year just commuting to work via bike.. who wants to start coughing up the money? I'll take paypal..
big deal! Since 2001 I lost over 100lb... Does PayPal handle such money?
Old 08-25-04, 06:56 AM
Ajay213
Bring the tech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get a bike just as or almost as light for less money.

it's largely a mute point anyway, seeing as the UCI won't legalise anything under 6.8kg for racing.
Not everybody rides UCI sanctioned events.

The other issue is, of course they can make 'em light, but the manufacturers aren't gunna guarantee them, therefore no-ones gunna buy them. Scott had a proto type bike out last year, I think they called it the CR1 superlight that came in at 4.6kg (10.1lbs)......I bet you can't get a lifetime warranty on technology that 'pushes the envelope' that much!
There are a number of manufactures who make bikes below the UCI weight limit and offer up to lifetime warranties on them.

Even the bike built to start this thread has a lifetime warranty on the frame. The frame isn't even that light, wrench science puts the weight at 2.3lbs (plus you need to add a fork).

Not all weight reduction is equal in effect -- for example, there's a lot of difference between taking a pound off of the rider and reducing rotating mass by taking a pound off of the wheelset of the bike.
I wish people would get a bit better grasp on this concept, a pound removed from the wheels is different than a pound off the frame, a pound off the frame is different than a pound off the rider.

Nobody is going to argue which is better in the long run, being at a "healthier" weight or having an ultra-light bike, but there are reasons why people want these bikes, and a lot of times it isn't just snob appeal.

Andrew
Old 08-25-04, 07:27 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez I just posted this because this was a really *****en bike (yes I used the word *****en...I'm old). Yeah you could probably build a bike just as light for less $$$ but it wouldn't be much less. I believe TIME warrantee's the VXRS so that's not an issue either. The LBS didn't build this bike to race it in UCI events. It was and exersize in "how light can I get". I would love to own this thing, it's light, stiff and beautiful.
Old 08-25-04, 10:53 AM
ChipRGW
hehe...He said "member"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always whip this baby out when the light bike topic comes up...

Light Bike @ M2 Racer
Old 08-25-04, 11:23 AM
Ajay213
Bring the tech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bah, that thing is heavy!

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=21

Old 08-25-04, 12:05 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajay213
I wish people would get a bit better grasp on this concept, a pound removed from the wheels is different than a pound off the frame, a pound off the frame is different than a pound off the rider.

Andrew
I think a lot of folks understand it (and also grams off the cranks/pedals provide more benefit than off of the frame for similar reasons as loosing weight from wheels is better than frame (and from tires better than hubs))

But my question for my understanding is how is weight off of frame/non moving parts different than off of body. I don't doubt it as it makes sense (i.e frame moves independenly from body, body moves to change balance, etc.) but is there more detail on this?

Al - who up until yesterday rode a 33.5lbs no shocks mt. bike
Old 08-25-04, 12:14 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is an exaple that might help.

Take two cars with identical hp and weight. Now car A wheels weigh 100#'s while car B's weigh 75#. It takes less energy to get the wheels on car B to move. The same is with the wheels on your bike.

Yes it is true that a lighter rider generally has an advantage while climbing (fitness being equal) having to move a lighter machine is also an advantage. If you need to expend less energy to propel the wheels/cranks/pedals you have an advantage over the rider that doesn't.
Old 08-25-04, 06:37 PM
breggurns
15/16 Cat 5 Jr. Roadie.

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 60 cm Orbea Altec Carbon Ultegra equiped Mavic Ksyriam Elite bike weighs 19 pound with pedals and I'm happy with it.
Old 08-25-04, 07:05 PM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Ajay213]You can get a bike just as or almost as light for less money.

Not everybody rides UCI sanctioned events.

There are a number of manufactures who make bikes below the UCI weight limit and offer up to lifetime warranties on them.

Even the bike built to start this thread has a lifetime warranty on the frame. The frame isn't even that light, wrench science puts the weight at 2.3lbs (plus you need to add a fork).

Nobody is going to argue which is better in the long run, being at a "healthier" weight or having an ultra-light bike, but there are reasons why people want these bikes, and a lot of times it isn't just snob appeal.

G'day,

it's easy to mix & match parts from different manufacturers & get a bike that comes under 6.8kg,.....my LBS did it with a 6-13, as an exercise in how low can they go.....this isn't the point. The problem that has made minimum weight requirements a 'mute' point is that there doesn't appear to be,(& i know that you guys will correct me if I'm wrong!), a minimum weight requirement for each component. This leads to the farcical situation of Cannondale making delivering saeco 'bikes' that are well below 6.8kg, & simply adding 'sinkers' to the frame to reach the legal limit.....If this doesn't make a farce of the rule i don't know what does!. The UCI have started 'approving' components for use in racing, but whether that means, in future, that any combination of this 'approved' components is legal, (regardless of the weight), remains to be seen. But that might be to 'clever' a solution for the UCI to cope with. You mentioned, non UCI sanctioned races?.....why would you bother, the UCI is far from perfect, but they are at least consistant & provide a framework for racing as a level playing field. Any road racing outside the UCI umbrella is likely to be 'anything goes'.....didn't they make a movie about that....Rollerball?

Hitchy
Old 08-26-04, 07:31 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.3# is light for a frame. My Orca is 2.2# and it's on the lighter side of the spectrum. There are a few frames out there that are lighter.

Hitchy please note that that weight includes the seat post as it is intergrated. Adding about 4 ounces to the weight of the frame. That would give you frame weight of only 1.15# that's light!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.