Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What color lense eyewear?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 03:47 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

I wear contact lenses and therefore chose to wear some kind of eye protection to keep my lenses from drying out. To date I have been wearing my $$$ Raybands and also a pair of yellow safety glasses; the type you find at Home Depot. I really like these. They are cheap and work very well especially in the evening where it sort of brightens everything during the dusk hours. Don't want to crash with the Raybans neither.

My question is what is the color of choice for all of you out there? I don't care what brand of glasses but more interested in what color the lenses are. I was thinking of maybe getting the orange ones to really brighten up the evenings and also take some of the glare out. Those dark gray one might not be so good in the evenings and clear might be too bright in the day. What other colors are out there that you folks really like?
Old 02-04-16, 04:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Rose works really well for me in the widest range of conditions. I originally started wearing them just for cloudy days, but find them comfortable in sunlight too.
Old 02-04-16, 05:17 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I wear dark gray (standard cycling sunglasses) on bright sunny days, yellow on cloudy days or low light, clear lens at night (to keep bugs out of my eyes).
Old 02-04-16, 06:59 PM
slimyfrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying the 3M virtua safety glasses clear, and two rides in, so far I really, really like them. Under $4 so I don't have to worry about them too much. They don't have a frame, so I really do forget I am wearing them. They make other colors, but I generally prefer clear lenses.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
glasses.jpg (8.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-04-16, 07:12 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcarl
I wear dark gray (standard cycling sunglasses) on bright sunny days, yellow on cloudy days or low light, clear lens at night (to keep bugs out of my eyes).
Sounds best to me. I don't use yellow for cycling...just gray or clear...but my u&c shooting glasses are yellow so I do understand and can see where they'd be cloudy/low light bike useful.
Old 02-04-16, 07:30 PM
rbrsddn

Bikes: '98 Rhygin SS road,'99 Fat Chance Ti Fat, '95 Azonic Mtn bike, '88 Giant Sedona.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
I wear contact lenses and therefore chose to wear some kind of eye protection to keep my lenses from drying out. To date I have been wearing my $$$ Raybands and also a pair of yellow safety glasses; the type you find at Home Depot. I really like these. They are cheap and work very well especially in the evening where it sort of brightens everything during the dusk hours. Don't want to crash with the Raybans neither.

My question is what is the color of choice for all of you out there? I don't care what brand of glasses but more interested in what color the lenses are. I was thinking of maybe getting the orange ones to really brighten up the evenings and also take some of the glare out. Those dark gray one might not be so good in the evenings and clear might be too bright in the day. What other colors are out there that you folks really like?
I wear contacts as well, and always buy the best cycling glasses that I can find. Always with interchangeable lenses. My first pair were tue Smith optics with the smoked gray lenses, with dark amber, yellow and clear. My latest pair are the Oakley Half Jackets with the Ice Blue Iridium lens, which I love even on tue brightest days. Next lens is a dark orange, good fr medium light. Then yellow, and clear again. I stay away from polarized, because I can't see my Garmin. For other applications,nI love polarized.
Old 02-04-16, 08:47 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
here is a site about what the colors do, there is a section for weather and a section for activity, and a section for features and benefits. I use only green and gray, well clear for dark or night riding, yellow works good too but I've never found any use for it in sports.

I would like to add this thought though. I have a pair of Bolle's which I've had now for about 18 years and not one scratch even after many drops onto the ground, but those are made of a laminated glass and are virtually unbreakable. The frames on those Bolle's have stretched too much to use while cycling anymore so I bought a pair of plastic lens Uvex which scratched easily so in one year had to replace them again, and like an idiot I bought another plastic lens Tifosi which after a year are also scratched and will have to be replaced which I can just replace the lens but why? I'm am now looking for a pair of laminated lenses again, sure their a tad heavier, but I lift weights with my nose so I should be fine, my god this crap about weight, I wore those Bolle's for years on a bike and never once thought about the weight, I'll take the weight over buying new sunglasses every year!
Old 02-04-16, 09:01 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got three pair of safety glasses that I use when cycling (or driving, boating, etc.). Dark amber polarized for bright days and/or high glare conditions, yellow shooters glasses for overcast gray conditions, and clear for low light. I had dark smoke gray for a while but I didn't like that they just darkened everything without enhancing definition. The dark amber aren't nearly as dark as my smoke gray but are actually easier on the eyes and provide better vision even on brightly lit midday rides on a fresh snow covered trail.
Old 02-05-16, 07:56 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I use Tifosi Red Fototec. It works well in conditions from partly cloudy to sunny. For overcast, I have a pair of cheap clear lenses I bought on Amazon. (actually bought them for my son who rides single track and only likes clear lenses, but the price was so cheap I bought a pair for myself).

Previously, I used a pair of Nashbar photochromatic lenses, which ranged from yellow to dark brown, but as time went on, they mostly just stayed yellow, so they work OK for overcast or partly cloudy.
Old 02-05-16, 08:05 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Clear, dark grey or photochromic grey. I used colored glasses in the past but prefer uncolored glasses nowadays.
Old 02-05-16, 08:20 AM
coupster

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tcarl
++1. I also wear the yellow lenses exclusively in the woods on my mtn bike.
Old 02-05-16, 12:30 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Clear, dark grey or photochromic grey. I used colored glasses in the past but prefer uncolored glasses nowadays.
Photo gray for me, as I ride at night at least one trip most of the year and don't feel like swapping out lenses or glasses. This morning they weren't any good as the fog misted them up so bad I couldn't see, but luckily fog feels fine on my contact lenses. I still prefer to have the glasses on for eye protection but not at the expense of sight.
Old 02-05-16, 01:53 PM
SanDiegoSteve

Bikes: Felt Fc, Litespeed Ghisallo, beach cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my amber, but color aside, I think polarized makes a big difference. This time of year with the sun low I really notice it. So, think lens color, polarization and UV blocking. I also think about wind and venting so they don't steam up, but that is another topic.