Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sizing for inseam?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sizing for inseam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-16, 05:02 PM
ejewels

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sizing for inseam?

I have a general sizing question. If you're dead in between 2 sizes... say 54 or a 56... would a longer cycling inseam sway you to go larger?

In other words, if you take a 5'9" rider with normal leg length as opposed to a 5'9" rider with longer legs (cycling inseam) would the longer legs hint to the 56?

I know its said to always go smaller when in doubt, but I'm asking more about how longer legs would affect the decision. When I got fitted a while back, the fact I had to jack up the seatpost AND push the saddle way back (i have large femurs) the fitter told me there was too much saddle to handlebar drop and suggested going to a 56.
Old 08-07-16, 05:36 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Hmm.. Consider this. With longer legs you would have a shorter torso, so you would go with the smaller frame and put the saddle higher.

Or... depends on if you like a longer or shorter top tube/reach?
Old 08-07-16, 06:42 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ejewels
I have a general sizing question. If you're dead in between 2 sizes... say 54 or a 56... would a longer cycling inseam sway you to go larger?

In other words, if you take a 5'9" rider with normal leg length as opposed to a 5'9" rider with longer legs (cycling inseam) would the longer legs hint to the 56?

I know its said to always go smaller when in doubt, but I'm asking more about how longer legs would affect the decision. When I got fitted a while back, the fact I had to jack up the seatpost AND push the saddle way back (i have large femurs) the fitter told me there was too much saddle to handlebar drop and suggested going to a 56.
No.

You want to stick to the 54 unless you have really long arms. In which case you could go either way depending on how you like to be fit.

Think about it. If you keep raising your seat, you are moving further and further away from the bars (reach).
You want that reach to be reigned in, so you want the top tube to be short.
Even more so, if you have proportionally long femurs (I am the same here as you; 5' 9.5"), where you will find yourself moving the seat back a bit, or using a good-offset post, to get your correct pedal position.

MANY production-frame '54' road bikes in this case do not have the stack height you are chasing.
This is why on those bikes you mentioned in the other thread, you have to compensate using a +stem and spacers.

As you seem to be very similar to my body dimensions, if you were still searching for a road bike, I would recommend only two which would fit you bang-on, without having to make such adjustments:-
1. Eddy Merckx Milano 72
2. Jamis Xenith Endura Femme '54'

Those two bikes have the reach and stack height you want.
The Giants/Specialized/Trek/Cannondale etc etc do not have road bike frames with geo like those two.

Those two are women's-specific-design frames, but if you could get over that marketing, you're good to go.

Personally, I'll be purchasing the new 2017 Milano 72 (white frame) once they come out.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 08-07-16 at 06:44 PM. Reason: text
Old 08-07-16, 06:47 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Seat tube length is overrated. Buy the bike that has the top tube length and handlebar height fits you best.
Old 08-07-16, 06:56 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Seat tube length is overrated. Buy the bike that has the top tube length and handlebar height fits you best.
+1.

And I'll add that personally I prefer the largest frame I can possibly stand over. Then I customize the fit by adjusting the handle bar stem length and maybe an offset seat post. I am a commuter and utility cyclist with drop bars. People who race seem to go for the smaller frame bicycles.
Old 08-07-16, 07:03 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I also go larger when between 2 frame sizes, but then I have longer arms then average for my height and larger frames seem to fit me better
Old 08-07-16, 07:06 PM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
No.

You want to stick to the 54 unless you have really long arms. In which case you could go either way depending on how you like to be fit.

Think about it. If you keep raising your seat, you are moving further and further away from the bars (reach).
You want that reach to be reigned in, so you want the top tube to be short.
Even more so, if you have proportionally long femurs (I am the same here as you; 5' 9.5"), where you will find yourself moving the seat back a bit, or using a good-offset post, to get your correct pedal position.

MANY production-frame '54' road bikes in this case do not have the stack height you are chasing.
This is why on those bikes you mentioned in the other thread, you have to compensate using a +stem and spacers.

As you seem to be very similar to my body dimensions, if you were still searching for a road bike, I would recommend only two which would fit you bang-on, without having to make such adjustments:-
1. Eddy Merckx Milano 72
2. Jamis Xenith Endura Femme '54'

Those two bikes have the reach and stack height you want.
The Giants/Specialized/Trek/Cannondale etc etc do not have road bike frames with geo like those two.

Those two are women's-specific-design frames, but if you could get over that marketing, you're good to go.

Personally, I'll be purchasing the new 2017 Milano 72 (white frame) once they come out.
thanks this was helpful. So the only time to upsize if between sizes is when you're actually long armed/torso, not long legged?
Old 08-07-16, 07:12 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ejewels
thanks this was helpful. So the only time to upsize if between sizes is when you're actually long armed/torso, not long legged?
long legs and short top tubes equal knees hitting the drop bars, or getting really close.
Old 08-07-16, 07:18 PM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The reason that sparked this was treks sizing guide states that if between sizes and you have a longer inseam, to go larger. Also Giants size chart for 5"11 says 31-32" inseam is a 54, but once you get to 33-35 the recommend the 56.