Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

West Haven CT ordinance • zigzagging ???

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-17, 09:26 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

I have to wonder if they are out of their minds ???

https://patch.com/connecticut/westha...ycle-operators

"....
No person shall operate a bicycle without due regard for the safety and rights of pedestrians and drivers and occupants of other vehicles as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person while in the lawful use of streets or sidewalks or any public or private property without exercising reasonable and ordinary control over such bicycle by trick riding, or weaving, or zigzag course unless such irregular course is necessary for safe operation in compliance with the law...."

or zigzag course unless such irregular course is necessary for safe operation in compliance with the law ???

Kind of negates the idea of taking the lane, or this is a very large FRAP piece of crap...

Are we to believe that cyclists must zigzag between potholes to comply with the law ? But other wise, zigzagging is illegal?

Tell me what you think, I can't believe this nonsense...
Old 09-17-17, 09:33 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
I have to wonder if they are out of their minds ???

or zigzag course unless such irregular course is necessary for safe operation in compliance with the law ???

Kind of negates the idea of taking the lane, or this is a very large FRAP piece of crap...
How does that prevent taking the lane? I don't see a problem with the wording you put in bold lettering. Why would you need to zigzag if there is no road hazards to avoid?
Old 09-17-17, 09:40 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Originally Posted by raqball
How does that prevent taking the lane? I don't see a problem with the wording you put in bold lettering. Why would you need to zigzag if there is no road hazards to avoid?
"zigzag course unless such irregular course is necessary for safe operation in compliance with the law"

It just sounds like they want their old FRAP (Far Right As Possible) law back in effect, doesn't it ? What does it sound like to you?
Old 09-17-17, 10:07 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
"zigzag course unless such irregular course is necessary for safe operation in compliance with the law"

It just sounds like they want their old FRAP (Far Right As Possible) law back in effect, doesn't it ? What does it sound like to you?
It does not sound like that to me as that's not what it says. zigzagging and FRAP are 2 completely different animals.
Old 09-17-17, 10:34 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts

Doesn't sound that way to me.
Old 09-18-17, 04:44 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
It does not sound like that to me as that's not what it says. zigzagging and FRAP are 2 completely different animals.
It sounds like there are cyclists who do maneuvers with their bikes in public areas. The town seems to want an ordinance to eliminate these types of behaviors. If a bike park does not exist, perhaps this would be an opportunity to get one built so everyone wins.

As for interfering/changing the behavior or commuting and recreational cyclists riding on town road, I do not see that this would impact CTDOT regs.
Old 09-18-17, 08:52 AM
hotbike

Okay, I see your point, this is aimed at teenagers. Teens to stupid things, a lot of them figure on ditching the bike as soon as they turn 16...

FRAP ? I may be mistaken , but I thought there were 2 FRAP's :
1) Far Right as Possible
2) Far Right as Practicable

and I though this was discussed before , and what I got out of it was "Far Right as Possible" means you are expected to zigzag around obstacle, while "Practicable" means taking the lane , but moderately, as far left as needed to skirt the potholes without zigzagging... to ride in a straight line ?

That's what I thought, you may correct me if I'm wrong.

I only quoted part of the bill , did you follow the link and read the rest of it?
Old 09-20-17, 06:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I just saw a cyclist zig-zagging today. Wouldn't want anyone expressing the child-like joy of riding a bike, would we? Gets in the way of every road being a de facto freeway
Old 09-20-17, 06:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
A misplaced prepositional phrase.

They mean that one can't zigzag recklessly without a specific reason, such as avoiding a pothole, to do so.

Probably proposed in response to children and others riding recklessly all over the road. For practical purposes normal riders who ride holding a line as most typically do are unaffected.

IMO an unnecessary law, but maybe they have a specific local problem they're trying to address.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-21-17, 02:33 PM
hotbike

All we need is for motorists to take the law into their own hands , "i saw the guy zigzagging" .... More like the bike wobbled a little bit...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1162998...7639939606343/
Old 09-29-17, 02:27 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
A misplaced prepositional phrase.

They mean that one can't zigzag recklessly without a specific reason, such as avoiding a pothole, to do so.

Probably proposed in response to children and others riding recklessly all over the road. For practical purposes normal riders who ride holding a line as most typically do are unaffected.

IMO an unnecessary law, but maybe they have a specific local problem they're trying to address.
You are right, a local problem, revenue collection. $100 immediately and $25 a day added on.
Old 09-29-17, 02:30 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Does the town impound cars for speeding or improper lane change violations?

Clearly the other problem the town has, is bicyclist in the town are killing people and not motorist.
Old 09-30-17, 07:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Here is another ignorant ordnance passed by b'crats that probably hate cyclist. The wording of which negates the point of the whole thing.
Old 09-30-17, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

Yep. The new big thing here in Philly is for groups of kids to ride through busy downtown doing tricks and weaving all over the place. A group of them recently rode on a section of I-676 that cuts through center city. One kid organized that ride for his birthday. They are a dangerous menace, but things have calmed down some now that school has started back up and it's getting darker sooner.

This ordinance is clearly aimed at minors primarily, as evidenced by this:

"Whenever any minor under the age of 18, years of age operates a bicycle or motorized bicycle in violation of the following City Ordinance Codes, the bicycle may be seized by any member of The West Haven Police Department and impounded. A bicycle or motorized bicycle so impounded shall be surrendered to the owner, or if the owner is a minor, to the parents or guardians of such minor. A full explanation of the reason for the impounding shall be made to the owner. A complete record of each such impounding shall be kept in the office of the chief of police."

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-30-17 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-30-17, 11:26 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I must say, the ordinance doesn't sound particularly egregious to me. After all, I assume the ordinance wasn't written for fun. In all likelihood, problems existed so the ever-wise town regulators believe others would benefit from the rule.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were correct.
Old 09-30-17, 12:53 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this simply don't be a jerk around other people or are wheelies and everything fun and good illegal always?
Old 09-30-17, 05:16 PM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Kind of negates the idea of taking the lane...
Just for the halibut, what percentage of all cyclists do you think "take the lane"? I live in a city of 50,000 and I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen, I just can't remember how many years ago that might have been.
I mean it has such an elite sound to it: "Well I was out cycling today when I decided to 'take the lane'" or "Pay attention drivers, I'm about to 'take the lane'"
Old 10-03-17, 09:10 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
You guys are kidding me right? It's about kids hucking downtown and crashing into cars and babies and "flying out into the street". It's got nothing to do with grownups peddling around. I mean, a conspiracy theorist can certainly see the "slippery slope" but y'all are kinda freaking out about nothing.

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 10-03-17, 09:45 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,645 Times in 827 Posts
I wonder what rights they are concerned with.

No person shall operate a bicycle without due regard for the safety and rights of pedestrians and drivers and occupants.
Old 10-03-17, 11:16 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
You guys are kidding me right? It's about kids hucking downtown and crashing into cars and babies and "flying out into the street". It's got nothing to do with grownups peddling around. I mean, a conspiracy theorist can certainly see the "slippery slope" but y'all are kinda freaking out about nothing.
Because laws like this get used by cops to pull adult cyclist' over for drug inspections. FRAP pullovers on narrow roads are bad enough. CT has lots of narrow roads.
Old 10-03-17, 12:34 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
And the tin foil hat crowd has arrived

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 10-03-17, 09:07 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Because laws like this get used by cops to pull adult cyclist' over for drug inspections.
This is a significant practice in Tampa and I expect they're not alone in this.
Old 10-03-17, 09:10 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
And the tin foil hat crowd has arrived
So you are saying you put your tin foil hat on.
Old 10-03-17, 10:26 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Because laws like this get used by cops to pull adult cyclist' over for drug inspections. FRAP pullovers on narrow roads are bad enough. CT has lots of narrow roads.

Police are aware of those risks and cyclists are subject to being stopped and searched lawfully as drivers are. Other traffic must yield to traffic stops and if the road is too narrow for safe two way traffic they must allow traffic direction.

When the police request that you stop, you stop. They stop behind you and if there are two units probable ahead of you, and that would be tp avoid a possible flight attempt. Police even guide the person to a safer place to park if they can. But you can't just go by a cop like that any more than a school bus stopping to let kids out who will be crossing the street.

I've been a passenger in a vehicle pulled over for a broken taillight that turned into a DUI arrest, and I while I was dismayed for not realizing he was drunk I was glad to find out, and since I was licensed but without a car on that day I was asked to drive the car to the police station, stay while he took the breathalyzer test and I drove his girlfriend home and then myself back to the next city where I lived and I returned it to the owner (she worked for a karaoke outfit, it was her bosses van) the next day.

I learned a lesson that day too. Ride to karaoke if the car was in the shop or don't go. When I no longer drove and sold the car I often rode my bike to karaoke, and that was for a few years until shuttle service to and from the bars there was started, and the driver was always sober, he was employed by one of the bars in an effort to prevent DUI arrests.

But I do digress. Kids don't have the full rights adults have, they are our legal dependants as such and we are responsible for their safety.

We'd prefer they get to grow up.

Last edited by Rollfast; 10-03-17 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-05-17, 11:55 AM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sunds like someone on the town council was driving in a lane next to a zig-zagging cyclist and was afraid to pass because they had no idea what the cyclist was going to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.