Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to Choose the Best Spin Bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 02:05 PM
jacobyahood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With the increasing buzz, more companies are manufacturing exercise bikes with different features, utilities, and qualities. Some of them offer a good amount of features like computer technology, display, vast resistance levels. Some of them offer quality in the build-up, and some are famous for comfort. It is sometimes hard to choose, what is best for an individual. That will lead them to a bad experience and have an adverse effect on exercise.
Save
Save
Old 11-05-17, 04:33 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
the best bike is the one you actually use..... just spinning is dull. My cheap setup is a $100 hydraulic trainer and use my wife's bike since she doesn't bike in winter.
I use up the old rotting tires, so that keeps cost low.

for entertainment I put a phone holder on the handlebar ($8?) and use $25 bluetooth headphones. but wired ones also would do. then i go to Netflix or yotube and watch stuff and just pedal without thinking about it. Need multispeed bike to change difficulty. Only disadvantage is tire noise (right now shredding knobby tires, but is better with smooth tires)

With no wind and inside you sweat a lot, so keep water nearby.

Of course you can spend thousands for a fancy computerized bike... but the training effect will be the same. You didn't specify an actual need or budget, so I started out with the lower end :-)
Old 11-05-17, 04:58 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd buy a used recumbent bike from a gym, which is what I eventually plan on doing, in fact. I've never seen a consumer grade model I've liked as much as the versions you see in gyms.
Old 11-05-17, 05:41 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
A number of years ago I picked up a Schwinn Johnny G spinner for 200 off CL. It served me well until I decided to get a gym membership.

Set yourself up some entertainment and a fan when you get one.
Old 11-05-17, 07:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

First of all, make sure the bike is indeed a spin bike and not just a stationary bike.

Stationary bikes are bottom of the heap when it comes to cycling choices. Spin bikes, however, are up there with your own bicycle on a trainer.

Next, make sure it is adjustable at several points. Saddle height & fore-aft, handlebars, etc. This so you can set it up properly for yourself.
Old 11-05-17, 10:52 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I bought a used one that came from a gym.

Works good, but excruciatingly boring. Better if I move it outside.

If not on the road, I use rollers or go to a class where someone cracks the whip.

Folks seem to like & put in the miles with Zwift.
Old 11-06-17, 01:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Personally, I prefer spinning classes. You're in there with other people, music, an enthusiastic instructor and you're inspired to push yourself.
Old 11-06-17, 05:45 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I bought an end year floor model at 65% off.

Make sure it fits...some do not alter as easy as a real bike.
Old 11-06-17, 09:02 AM
carl7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot depends on how much your going to spend. They can run $295 to well over $3000, find that out first. And, how serious are you about it? Without the right mental stimulation, your going to get bored out of your mind and soon it'll become a clothes rack. Me personally, I'd get a smart spin bike capable of Zwift and the like.

Perhaps try a spin class like mentioned by Machka.
Old 11-06-17, 09:20 AM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replicating commercial equipment in the home is really expensive. It's cheaper to just join the gym. If your goal is fitness that's probably your best bet. Until you realize that stationary cardio in the gym isn't very fun either. Then you can at least cancel your gym membership and not worry about unloading a thousand dollar piece of equipment.

For me I only weight train at the gym, because that's really the only option to have access to that kind of equipment. I can't stand going to a gym to get on a treadmill or bike. I already have unlimited access to that kind of workout at home.
Old 11-06-17, 09:30 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Get a fat bike and pedal outside all winter?
Old 11-06-17, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You have to go by marketing. Whoever makes the best commercials and advertising is what you want.
Old 11-07-17, 07:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
As with all things, one chooses the best stationary bike based on what they want to acheive.

For serious cycling training, there are only two contenders for Best in my opinion: Stages and CycleOps.

Why? First, because they have accurate power meters, and for training, especially stationary, power-based programs are so much more efficient time-wise. Second, they're designed to duplicate road bike positioning, so you can set one up exactly like your real bike, and ride like that, right down to handlebar shape. They freewheel also, just like your real bike (unless you ride a fixed-gear). Third, they offer resistance fine-tuning, so you can precisely target and tap both your maximum capacity and training goals.

As to which of those is best, I think the Stages SC3 gets the nod if only based on lower maintenance belt drive, but I prefer the front flywheel layout as well, as it makes the bike more compact. I also think the included console is a bit more pleasant to use than the CycleOps computer.

Both offer controlled resistance with their respective apps, but I've not used either, so I cannot comment on the quality of those experiences, for example, if CycleOps' Rouvy app allows you to upload your own GPS routes.

Both are in the $2.6k range, so price is not a factor in deciding between them.
Old 11-07-17, 10:35 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I just purchased a Keiser M3i - direct from Keiser. In the past I've bolted my bike to both fan and fluid trainers and ridden on rollers. Each had issues that I never really got past. Last year I tried spinning classes at the YMCA. Unfortunately most instructors treated a spin bike as just another piece of cardio equipment and had the class doing unusual and perverse calisthenics on the bike. As far as equipment goes, there was a mish mash of bikes but the Keiser's caught my fancy. The seat (which can be changed - yay!) and handlebars are infinitely (?) adjustable. The pedals have both spd cleats and toe clips and straps - but they also can be changed to suit your shoes or fancy. The computer display is back-lit with rpm, watts, calories, heart rate (with a strap) miles, time and resistance level readouts. Resistance is magnetic and is adjusted via a lever on the handlebars. Marketing touts the accuracy of the readouts and can be field calibrated. The computer is also blue tooth enabled with a Keiser app and is also reportedly compatible with others. There is even a media shelf mounted in the middle of the handlebars and a shelf for your water bottle on the down tube (?). The flywheel is out back but doesn't really feel like a flywheel. If you stop pedaling, it will continue to spin (along with your pedals) but not as dramatically or intrusively as some. Its mounted an a solid four leg platform with wheels for ease of movement. Its foot print is 5'x2' and is relatively quiet and comes with a rubber mat. Its in the 85 lb range, ships via UPS and some assembly is required. If you are handy with a wrench, its not a big deal and the instructions are complete and understandable.

I've been using GCN's Youtube spinning classes and they do make the monotony of riding indoors less mind numbing and worthwhile.

Its $1995 plus tax

https://www.keiser.com/fitness-equip...i-indoor-cycle

Oh and its Made in the USA
Old 12-20-17, 11:55 AM
Wallace0713

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Life Fitness ICS vs Body craft SPR

I have narrowed my list to the Life Fitness Ic6 and Body craft SPR. Has anyone bought the Life fitness IC6? It looks and feels like a really good bike but there just aren't a lot of reviews. The Body Craft has really good reviews but doesn't have the screen with classes and and challenges. Both have good warranties. Just wanted to see if anyone has the IC6 and there thoughts.
Old 12-20-17, 12:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Your local spin classes have a favorite?
Old 12-20-17, 09:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Any bike that isn't able to go anywhere is always a poor choice. I would rather have a nice bike I could ride outdoors or on a trainer and of course a trainer of some sort. A bike and trainer is easy to move but one of those stationary type pedaling machines is not. With things like Zwift and GCN training videos, smart trainers and probably other things you don't need a big exercise machine anymore and you can also get more time in on your bike and get your fit dialed in better.
Old 12-21-17, 09:17 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
I have a spinning bike I bought off CL, which I would recommend doing before you spend a ton of money on something you may not like after the novelty wears off.

I find if I'm at home spinning away and I get bored, I tend to think it's become beer .30. It's much better for me to go to the gym, and wear out their stuff instead.
Old 02-11-18, 07:15 AM
inaciano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used Spin Bike

Hi guys. I am from Brazil and i want to buy a spin bike. I will use 3 times a week. I found a 10 years old Schwinn. Is it a good bike? Is it dificult To maintain? The age of the bike is a problem?
Old 12-13-18, 12:42 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i went through this my first year year of indoor seasoning .

my advice is a get a regular bike on the cheap , then a really basic or not toooo expensive wheel on indoor trainer and finally , a power tap wheel hub at the most , or a speed cadence sensor at the least , now you have all the data you will need for almost half the price some times ,

a good spin bike even used from a gym ( if it even does data outputs ) will be around 400 to 600 , so if you get a bike under 100 ( 80s 90s 7ooc wheels ) a trainer well under 200, and , if you need power ( a power tap wheel hub , for under 300 you will get full adjustable , actual bike that will give you the best ride ....
Old 07-15-20, 10:00 PM
fireboy1337

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I take my first exercise bike for a very long time. It was important for me that it was perfect for me. Since I have some back problems, not every exercise bike will suit me. There was also a problem with the place, I do not have a very large apartment, so every meter is important to me. My main choice was between the NordicTrack S15i vs S22i.