Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 01:49 AM
Ride_Fast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Accident

I was hit by a car earlier this month and I'm worried about the safety of my frame. The car wasn't going very fast, maybe 15mph? I was going around 12. My front wheel made contact in between the headlight and the car wheel, so basically on the side of his front bumper. My frame is double butted aluminum and there seems to be no visible damage, but the inside could be. The front wheel was bent and I took it to my LBS to get it trued. Aside from that all other components seem fine, the headset, handlebar, and saddle slipped out of place but that's pretty much it.
Old 05-30-18, 02:28 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast
I was hit by a car earlier this month and I'm worried about the safety of my frame. The car wasn't going very fast, maybe 15mph? I was going around 12. My front wheel made contact in between the headlight and the car wheel, so basically on the side of his front bumper. My frame is double butted aluminum and there seems to be no visible damage, but the inside could be. The front wheel was bent and I took it to my LBS to get it trued. Aside from that all other components seem fine, the headset, handlebar, and saddle slipped out of place but that's pretty much it.
I'd be worried if it was a carbon frame. Being aluminium, if there's no visible damage (nothing bent, no cracks, no significant dents), I would trust it.

Clean the frame, and look closely for cracks, especially on the welded joints of the different tubes that make up the frame. If everything is ok, It should be safe.
Old 05-30-18, 03:05 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Its aluminum. The only things you have to worry about is if there is any visible cracks, and whether the frame is still true. If it has carbon wheels I would look at getting their insurance company to replace those with new ones. Other than a visual inspection by an authorised bike repair team for your manufacturer is all you need. Get them to give it a once over. Its most likely (other than a few scratches and scrapes) there is nothing structurally wrong with your bike frame.

My advice would be to get it looked over but I would not worry about it too much.
Old 05-30-18, 03:05 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You should have taken the whole bike there. Besides that, if you had damages you needed to file an insurance claim, their insurance should cover some of this, if they were at fault.
Old 05-30-18, 03:07 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If they have insurance it's even better provided you weren't hurt. It likely means free bike time. Ring YOUR insurance assessor and get them to tell you where to send it. They will have a preferred assessor.
Old 05-30-18, 03:32 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I had an accident last year with my carbon bike - different situation as it was on a trunk rack and I was hit from behind while at a red light at a fairly low speed. On the surface, it just looked like the front wheel was damaged. I brought it to my LBS and the mechanic recommended replacing the fork, too, just to be sure as it can be difficult to discern underlying damage. I submitted the claim to the other party's insurance company for both the wheel and the fork and they paid the claim. Best to have a full assessment of your bike done without letting time pass from the accident.
Old 05-30-18, 05:27 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
If the fork and headtube are okay, then it's probably fine.
Old 05-30-18, 05:54 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Even if it is, free bike upgrade... say it with me.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 05-30-18 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-30-18, 07:09 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR
Even if it is, free bike upgrade... say i with me.
That's not exactly how it works, unless you are talking about a generic suing for "pain and suffering" or such. Even worse, if you find someone to lie to the insurance saying the bike is wrecked when it isn't, now you're the one in trouble for fraud.
Old 05-30-18, 08:13 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Yep, we need to keep in mind that insurance fraud is a felony in most places.

-Tim-
Old 05-30-18, 08:23 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My only concern would be possible damage to the fork/steerer which wouldn't be visible while in the head tube. So I'd remove the fork and give it a good visual inspection for any bend or crack.
Old 05-30-18, 08:25 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Yep, we need to keep in mind that insurance fraud is a felony in most places.

-Tim-
I'm not promoting insurance fraud, I'm saying that if your bike is damaged you should get a new for old replacement. That's a fair practice in a lot of countries including Australia.
Old 05-30-18, 08:36 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Even if it is, free bike upgrade... say it with me.
I'm not promoting insurance fraud, I'm saying that if your bike is damaged you should get a new for old replacement. That's a fair practice in a lot of countries including Australia.
Sorry, I read that as even if the bike was OK, you should be getting a brand new one. I'm not sure how laws work in Australia, perhaps you could explain that? At least here, if you want money from an insurance company, you're going to need to submit proof of damages, and they will pay out for a comparable replacement or repair.
Old 05-30-18, 08:46 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast
The front wheel was bent and I took it to my LBS to get it trued.
I'd be much more concerned about your front wheel and front fork, then I would the frame.

If your front wheel or fork breaks while riding you will go down faster than you can think. All your remember is a tiny sensation that something was going wrong then you'll be on the ground.

If your rear wheel goes out it happens slower you usually have a chance to get a foot down.

If your frame breaks it's a triangle, so you're still kinda supported by the rest of the frame. I've had a bottom bracket rust out while I was riding and other than making scary noises it was fine, I was able to coast to a stop, then coast on the frame part of the way back home.

I'd replace the front wheel and maybeish the front fork before I'd worry about the frame.
Old 05-30-18, 08:47 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Sorry, I read that as even if the bike was OK, you should be getting a brand new one. I'm not sure how laws work in Australia, perhaps you could explain that? At least here, if you want money from an insurance company, you're going to need to submit proof of damages, and they will pay out for a comparable replacement or repair.
Here in Australia you have your bike assessed depending on the damage it can be considered a total write off at more than twice the cost to repair the bike as it would cost just to replace it. If your insurance is comprehensive then you can get a shiny new bike out of it.
Old 05-30-18, 03:59 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Ally frames are very brittle, and cracks can have low visibility, but they do bend first. Any area that is bent will be localised, so around joints, and a crack in the paint is the first indication of notable failure.
Old 05-30-18, 04:24 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You had a "collision"?
Old 05-30-18, 06:45 PM
Ride_Fast

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ Yes, it was a "collision"

Since the wheels and fork were still under warranty I went ahead and replaced them. I'll go visit my local bike shop later and ask their opinion on the frame. Nothing seems to be bent or cracked. The front wheel was bent and the back one just slipped out of place. We are in the process of getting the guys insurance to pay for the damages. I suffered some scrapes on my arms, legs, chin, my upper lip got busted, thankfully I didn't need stitches. My wrist hurts when I try to twist caps and my left knee still hurts a little.
Old 06-02-18, 05:00 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
That's not exactly how it works, unless you are talking about a generic suing for "pain and suffering" or such. Even worse, if you find someone to lie to the insurance saying the bike is wrecked when it isn't, now you're the one in trouble for fraud.
Actually, not necessarily true. No fault laws are different depending on where you are but for the price of an aluminum bike the adjuster is probably not going to want to take a chance on turning down a claim without being sure the frame is undamaged. You would have to release them so make sure you are not hurt. It is not lying if you don't have the technical ability to tell if the frame is damaged. You are rightfully concerned about it.
Old 06-02-18, 05:13 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
As mentioned I would have the frame inspected by someone with the “technical ability” to do so if you are concerned. I would think most insurance companies would have this inspection done before shelling out the cost of a new frame rather than “free bike day”. Insurance adjusters are well versed and have seen a lot regarding fraudulent claims, not a rabbit hole I would go down.

Personally I would just inspect it for cracks or damage. At the speed you stated, it’s likely it fine from what you described.

The truth will always set you free, pedal On!! .
Old 06-02-18, 07:56 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
...the bike is assumed to be in a 100% safe undamaged working order prior to the incident...

If it were my bike, I'd not have the same trust after the event. No matter how or whom does the repairs & services to try & make it right. It will no longer be what it was prior to that unfortunate event. Driver responsibility has to be taken in to account for situations like these, & if the frame has endured damages that can impact it's usability & functionality; not aesthetics, then the suspect frame should be replaced. Should the frame not be available, then the next comparable solution is a new bicycle.
Old 06-02-18, 12:01 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Had you ended up in the ICU for 2 weeks, insurance could have paid out upwards of a million bucks in hospital bills.

Replacing an aluminum bike is peanuts in comparison.

You're now worried about your bike being unsafe to ride, which means you haven't been made whole.

You should get completely compensated for the original purchase price of your bike, helmet, glasses, and kit, and call it day. It will be a relief to both the driver and the insurance company.
Old 06-02-18, 12:14 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
Had you ended up in the ICU for 2 weeks, insurance could have paid out upwards of a million bucks in hospital bills.

Replacing an aluminum bike is peanuts in comparison.

You're now worried about your bike being unsafe to ride, which means you haven't been made whole.

You should get completely compensated for the original purchase price of your bike, helmet, glasses, and kit, and call it day. It will be a relief to both the driver and the insurance company.
True. And from the adjuster's point of view, the OP may still present them with medical bills at some point. As noted above, this is why some companies go out of their way to settle a property claim generously in exchange for a waiver of bodily injury.
Old 06-03-18, 04:32 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot1
As mentioned I would have the frame inspected by someone with the “technical ability” to do so if you are concerned. I would think most insurance companies would have this inspection done before shelling out the cost of a new frame rather than “free bike day”. Insurance adjusters are well versed and have seen a lot regarding fraudulent claims, not a rabbit hole I would go down.

Personally I would just inspect it for cracks or damage. At the speed you stated, it’s likely it fine from what you described.

The truth will always set you free, pedal On!! .
I agree with all of this.
Old 06-03-18, 05:11 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
I'd be surprised if an adjuster even looks at the bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.