Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why is it so hard to charge motorists with murdering cyclists?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 05-31-18, 09:32 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

Article in today's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...cycling-deaths

On average, motorists kill two to three cyclists every day in the United States. According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a majority of these cases involve negligent drivers. But as long as the driver wasn’t on drugs or alcohol during the crash, they are rarely charged with homicide.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 05-31-18 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-31-18, 09:43 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Same with pedestrians. Just say the magic words "I didn't see him". That has been my perception for decades. At least they now have the tech available to determine if you were texting at the time of impact, if they choose to use it.
Old 05-31-18, 10:21 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Murder, at least as I understand it, implies an intent to kill or, at least, killing in the process of causing intentional grievous bodily harm, so it's a very high bar and out of reach for most road incidents.

Beyond that, juries identify with drivers over cyclists because they're what? Drivers. They see some poor, remorseful, defendant with a nice family, whose life is about to be ruined and think: there but for a moment's inattention, a drink or two, or some pardonable margin over the posted speed limit, go I and what was that weirdo doing out on the roads on a bicycle, anyway? Studies on race show us that biases operate potently at the subconscious level even in "good" people. Prosecutors, I assume, understand this and will under-charge for that reason. I'm no lawyer, but I bet defense counsel would use any available peremptory challenges to keep a cyclist off such a jury.

Then there's the civil suit, which often follows. The system may see a benefit in keeping an employed defendant out of prison so that there's a salary to garnishee and to keep the family off the dole.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-31-18 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-31-18, 10:30 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 81 Posts
People just do not realize (or want to realize) that cars are very effective killing machines, and should be considered as such.
Old 05-31-18, 10:44 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Murder, at least as I understand it, implies an intent to kill or, at least, killing in the process of causing intentional grievous bodily harm, so it's a very high bar and out of reach for most road incidents.
That sounds like first degree murder. There are different degrees of murder. For second degree murder, it suffices that you intended to engage in some behavior knowing that it increased the risk of someone dying. That is why DUI drivers can be charged with murder. Then you have voluntary manslaughter for which there is no previous intent. And, finally, involuntary manslaughter.

Don't take my word for it. I am not a lawyer and my explanation is probably not great. See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...s_law)#Degrees

I think that many drivers could potentially be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter at least.
Old 05-31-18, 10:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by salcedo
That sounds like first degree murder. There are different degrees of murder. For second degree murder, it suffices that you intended to engage in some behavior knowing that it increased the risk of someone dying. That is why DUI drivers can be charged with murder. Then you have voluntary manslaughter for which there is no previous intent. And, finally, involuntary manslaughter.

Don't take my word for it. I am not a lawyer and my explanation is probably not great. See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...s_law)#Degrees

I think that many drivers could potentially be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter at least.
Thanks. Maybe a lawyer will straighten us out.
Old 05-31-18, 10:46 AM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Same with pedestrians
And with other cars too. I think the number of car-related deaths is around 3000 per day worldwide. That is about two per minute.
Old 05-31-18, 01:15 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 81 Posts
Thanks. Maybe a lawyer will straighten us out.
I am a lawyer.

Without going into the differences between the various levels of homicide (1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder, voluntary and involuntary manslaughter), many states also have vehicular homicide statutes that apply to the exclusion of the “normal” homicide laws. The vehicular homicide penalties typically are lower than the murder penalties, because society sees deaths from traffic “accidents” to be unavoidable and thus not worthy of the same condemnation.
Old 05-31-18, 01:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
I think that in general negligence in driving is punished far less than it should be whether the collision was car to car, car to bike, car to pedestrian, bike to pedestrian

I think calling it murder frames the discussion in a bad way. It is like calling the cyclist who runs a red and gets killed a suicide

Old 05-31-18, 01:30 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you see a bias against cyclists in the courts

Not talking about the laws but their interpretation and use.

Originally Posted by Aubergine

I am a lawyer.

Without going into the differences between the various levels of homicide (1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder, voluntary and involuntary manslaughter), many states also have vehicular homicide statutes that apply to the exclusion of the “normal” homicide laws. The vehicular homicide penalties typically are lower than the murder penalties, because society sees deaths from traffic “accidents” to be unavoidable and thus not worthy of the same condemnation.
Old 05-31-18, 02:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Aubergine

I am a lawyer.

So, the entire discussion of murder with respect to anything short of the intentional killing of a cyclist by a motorist is legally pointless?
Old 05-31-18, 02:22 PM
mothermucca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a lot of the reason that prosecution of drivers is so lax is because in a car vs cyclist fatality, the car driver gets to explain his side of what happened. The cyclist doesn’t.
Old 05-31-18, 02:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,448 Times in 1,429 Posts
So, the entire discussion of murder with respect to anything short of the intentional killing of a cyclist by a motorist is legally pointless?
Not at all. It's murder if it was intentional. See the wikipedia article cited above. It explains the differences.

The headline is sensational but the article is good. The headline implies that we need to call it murder, but the article doesn't. Prosecution for manslaughter and murder are both lacking but improving.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-31-18, 03:33 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I've always said if you want to murder someone, run them over with a car. We had a case here in Australia where a couple of guys in a car were chasing cyclists around trying to run them over whilst yelling out the window "I'm gonna kill you you c...." eventually they did actually run over and kill someone. on a bike. They didn't get charged with murder or manslaughter. But we did have this case: The anti-cycling Facebook post that ended up as evidence in court where someone did. Hoisted on his own petard. I think if I was a prosecutor or a lawyer for a victim or their family I'd go trawling the offenders social media history straight away!
If I had the skills and the time I'd set up a bot to trawl social media and newspaper comments to collect anti cyclist sentiment with names and set up a data base so lawyers could just search it.... people are quite willing to put up death threats to cyclists.
Old 05-31-18, 03:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Somehow we are in a culture where driving is seen as a necessity.

A year or two ago, there was a go-fund-me page for a person who was walking to work. Got hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations, as well as a new car... just so he wouldn't have to continue to exercise.
Old 05-31-18, 03:58 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Anyone that uses the excuse "I didnt see him" should be charged with negligence and man slaughter at the very least.

I still say if you are so deranged you want someone dead, buy them a bike and then run over them. Most of the time you will just get your hands slapped.
Old 05-31-18, 05:34 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 1,525 Times in 995 Posts
We get upset about this because we're cyclists, but you are more likely to be killed by a police officer than get killed on your bike.

If you really want to see more people charged with murder, consider the quarter million people who die from medical malpractice each year. Cycling deaths are 800 in the US per year.
Old 06-01-18, 09:32 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo

By your own link, what you said was wrong. 2nd degree murder requires an intent to kill.
All three crimes above feature an intent to kill, whereas involuntary manslaughter is "unintentional", because the killer did not intend for a death to result from their intentional actions.
It also says DUI is generally involuntary manslaughter.
A drunk driving–related death is typically involuntary manslaughter
The only way you can really charge a driver with murder is if they intentionally hit a cyclist. You have to be able prove they were intending to kill them. Even something like a reckless close pass that ends up causing the cyclist to be hit may not meet that standard (although it would likely be involuntary manslaughter or something equivalent).
Old 06-01-18, 10:40 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Very simple: that is what the law dictates, and IMO for good reason. In Michigan, as long as you aren't impaired or acting in an extremely reckless manner or leave the scene, the penalty for vehicular manslaughter (regardless of the victim, be it a cyclist, pedestrian or other motorist) is one year. Impairment brings that up to a max of 15-20years, depending on the exact level of intoxication. Hit and run mirrors the lower level of DUI punishment, 15 years. As anyone that has been following this forum knows, it can also rise to second degree murder, if the actions that lead to death are particularly egregious, and you feel you can convince a jury. By and large, though, fatal accidents don't.

Intent is very much at the core of the legal system. There is very much a difference between punishments in willfully killing someone, and an action that would normally be benign but in that one instance turned out horribly. We don't need to be tossing more people in prison out of vengeance, we can find much better ways of punishing them that allows them to continue to be productive members of society. If we want to toss people in prison for life, you may as well just advocate for the death penalty while you are at it. Beyond that, I'm not really convinced there is a big difference in one year versus twenty years when it comes to deterring what is generally a spur of the moment action.
Old 06-01-18, 11:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by Kontact
We get upset about this because we're cyclists, but you are more likely to be killed by a police officer than get killed on your bike.

If you really want to see more people charged with murder, consider the quarter million people who die from medical malpractice each year. Cycling deaths are 800 in the US per year.
I realize that cycling is a lot safer than people think and a lot safer than many other common activities. That's not the important thing here (to me). What's important is that WHEN a motorist kills a cyclist, there is insufficient justice. There is an insufficient incentive for people to drive cautiously. That is a real problem that calls for remedies.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-01-18, 11:31 AM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
By your own link, what you said was wrong. 2nd degree murder requires an intent to kill.
It also says DUI is generally involuntary manslaughter.
I think there are subtle differences not explained in detail in the article.

Charles Pickett Jr. was found guilty of 5 charges of second degree murder.

Old 06-01-18, 11:35 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by noglider
I realize that cycling is a lot safer than people think and a lot safer than many other common activities. That's not the important thing here (to me). What's important is that WHEN a motorist kills a cyclist, there is insufficient justice. There is an insufficient incentive for people to drive cautiously. That is a real problem that calls for remedies.
Since draconian sentences have never solved any other social issue, what makes you think it will solve this one? Did we win the war on drugs while I was sleeping?

Or does this have nothing to do with increasing cyclist safety and is just about getting vengeance on 1 in 500,000 drivers that kill a cyclist, even though a large number of those still didn't do anything wrong?

Driver's AND cyclists could both do better jobs of being safe on the road, but at some point cyclists are going to have to acknowledge that a certain number of accidents are inevitable if we want to ride next to 2+ ton high speed vehicles. No one is ever willing to state a reasonable death rate for our dangerous sport, and the anger makes it sound like we are the victims of a pernicious pogrom. The reality is that we choose to ride around people we know lose control of their vehicles occasionally, and we ride anyway. If 800 deaths per year in a country of 320 million is too many, what's a reasonable number?
Old 06-01-18, 11:50 AM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If 800 deaths per year in a country of 320 million is too many, what's a reasonable number?
I can't give you an exact number, but there is definitely room for improvement.

I agree with you that not all road related deaths can be avoided. But I think many of them can. I am a big fan of the Vision Zero Project. Even if their ultimate goal is unrealistic, I think they have made remarkable progress in some parts of the world (sadly, not were I live).

As a minor point, you want to talk about population, you should also take into account the proportion of trips that are done via bicycle. The US has a large population but not so many cyclists. If you look at number of deaths per capita, the US looks much safer than the NL. But I bet that if you look at number of deaths per mile traveled on a bike, you would get the opposite result by a large margin.
Old 06-01-18, 11:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Since draconian sentences have never solved any other social issue, what makes you think it will solve this one? Did we win the war on drugs while I was sleeping?

Or does this have nothing to do with increasing cyclist safety and is just about getting vengeance on 1 in 500,000 drivers that kill a cyclist, even though a large number of those still didn't do anything wrong?

Driver's AND cyclists could both do better jobs of being safe on the road, but at some point cyclists are going to have to acknowledge that a certain number of accidents are inevitable if we want to ride next to 2+ ton high speed vehicles. No one is ever willing to state a reasonable death rate for our dangerous sport, and the anger makes it sound like we are the victims of a pernicious pogrom. The reality is that we choose to ride around people we know lose control of their vehicles occasionally, and we ride anyway. If 800 deaths per year in a country of 320 million is too many, what's a reasonable number?
The number is that which is caused after all participants take reasonable precautions. Some people don't take reasonable precautions, and I find them at fault for that, and that includes cyclists and motor drivers.

Old 06-01-18, 12:12 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by noglider
The number is that which is caused after all participants take reasonable precautions. Some people don't take reasonable precautions, and I find them at fault for that, and that includes cyclists and motor drivers.
What's a "reasonable precaution"? Someone could drive for 40 years and never have an accident, then one day they hit a cyclist and it is evidence that they always drove dangerously?

Convicting more drivers isn't going to make drivers better unless we truly believe the deaths were intentional, or we believe that we can terrorize people who pay attention 99% of the time into increasing their game.

I realize we have stupid aggressive drivers, texting drivers and other people doing the wrong thing, but the majority of cycling accidents happen because regular drivers happened to momentarily miss the cyclist before they turned. If that wasn't the case, the majority of bike accidents would have a normal distribution, but most bike accidents happen during twilight or at night. That demonstrates that visibility is a much bigger issue than drivers failing to do right.

I'm not here to apologize for drivers, but cyclists are so unrealistic about the causes of cycling accidents and just how proficient and aware drivers could ever be expected to be. Fighter pilots miss stuff sometimes - how can we possibly expect drivers to do much better?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.