Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 7500 Shock Maintanance

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek 7500 Shock Maintanance

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 02:18 PM
timelinex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Trek 7500 Shock Maintanance

I just purchased a relatively unridden 7500 as my first "real" bike.

I got the basics like replacing the old flat tubes, cleaning/lubing the chain, tightening any loose bolts/nuts, and tuning the gears correctly.

The last thing I think that I need to do is clean the shocks. My research shows that they are "RST TR-Free SL". I am having trouble finding any manual on these shocks. I know maintenance/assembly is probably not completely model specific, but I don't even know if they are air, spring or what? I would appreciate if anyone can link to a DIY video (or article!) that would apply to these.

Am I missing any other thing to check/replace?

Thanks guys
Old 09-23-19, 07:00 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Not sure if this is exactly what you have but it might be a start. I searched for "RST TR-Free SL" and came up with several videos by RJ the bike guy. Check to see if any of those come close to what you have.
Old 09-23-19, 02:17 PM
timelinex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Not sure if this is exactly what you have but it might be a start. I searched for "RST TR-Free SL" and came up with several videos by RJ the bike guy. Check to see if any of those come close to what you have.
Yea, so I saw this one of his on "RST Gila Pro Fork Service" that seems like it might apply. I guess I will just go with that.

Any recommendations on what grease to use. I have read about Slickoleum but thats like $30 for a small tub, which I am not willing to spend right now. Are there any less expensive decent greases to use, as I don't want to make too big of an investment until I know that biking will be a long term thing? (I've read Lucas Marine Grease can be used in the forks).