Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need new carbon

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need new carbon

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-04, 08:57 AM
dwatson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Need new carbon

Well it is time to replace my my frame, I will be going carbon once again. I have two frame set in mind the Look KG386i and the Time VXR. Does anyone have any feed back on the frames? Please feel free to offer any other frames.
Old 08-07-04, 09:13 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by dwatson
Well it is time to replace my my frame, I will be going carbon once again. I have two frame set in mind the Look KG386i and the Time VXR. Does anyone have any feed back on the frames? Please feel free to offer any other frames.

I'm not a carbon guy but those Time VX Pro frames look sweet to me! Frame, fork, headset, seat post and stem for less than $2300 almost seems reasonable in the over priced bike world we live in these days.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...692466721&rd=1

Look is nice as well.

Good luck.

Ed
Old 08-07-04, 09:17 AM
MtnMan

Bikes: Fondriest & Serotta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other than the fact that they are both french I have heard nothing but good things about both framesets. Couldn't find any reviews on the Look that you are asking about. Found one review on the Time: https://www.roadbikereview.com/Frames...7_2493crx.aspx. Not a real enlightening review, though.

There is fellar in the Road Bike Review Forum that owns a couple of Looks. You might want to do a search over there.

regards,
Old 08-07-04, 09:25 AM
Moonshot
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What do you think about the BMC that Tyler rode? I don't care for the color scheme, but they sell one in black too. 2004 frame and fork is $2900. Pic from https://www.competitivecyclist.com

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 08-07-04, 10:02 AM
brunning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i saw one of those BMCs in person for the first time the other day and it was fantastic looking. the owner loved it, as well. it's high on my list of bikes to check out for next time i buy.
Old 08-07-04, 10:08 AM
nutbag

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
https://www.cervelo.com/images/2004/2004-R25-full.jpg
https://www.cervelo.com/images/2004/s...R25%20Team.jpg
https://www.cervelo.com/images/2004/B...%20Bayonne.JPG
https://www.cervelo.com/bikes/R25.html

'nough said

Old 08-07-04, 10:11 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My personal favorite - Lemond Tete de Course. Upper half carbon and lower half titanium. Of course, I've never actually ridden one though I now own the frame.

55/Rad
Old 08-07-04, 10:15 AM
brunning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the cervelo 2.5 and the lemond tete de course happen to be two of the other bikes on my short list...
Old 08-07-04, 10:38 AM
Ajay213
Bring the tech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Ends in 15 minutes!
Old 08-07-04, 01:06 PM
n2wind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well since you asked, one of these is on my list for next season: Cyfac Tigre (expensive, but gorgeous) or Nerv Carbon, Opera Leonardo, Orbea Jelly Bean, Scott CR1 Pro, Calfee Tetra, & the more common but equally nice Trek Madone, Giant TRC Composite Team, & Specialized Roubaix Pro (opps, forgot Fondriest). Now just a couple of problems: narrowing the list & finding the cash. Narrowing the choice may be harder than finding the cash. My lean now would be the Jelly Bean, Tetra, or CR1 (all online for your viewing pleasure).

Old 08-07-04, 07:13 PM
dwatson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the info. For everyone that has made suggetions, can you get any feed back on the bike listed? It is hard to found dealer that have the right size frame built for a test ride. I have ridden the Look, Time and the Trek.
Old 08-07-04, 07:24 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I guess I feel obliged to inject my recommendation for Aegis. They've got two road frames. The Aro Svelte which used to be their flagship model and the new Victory. The Aro Svelte was designed and introduced over 10 years ago but IMHO still looks and rides as sweet as any bike today.
Old 08-07-04, 09:35 PM
mcavana
the commutor / tourer

Bikes: trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just picked up a new 2004 Giant TCR composite 2. frame, forks, seat post all carbon, full ultegra, retails for 2000-2100 / but you should be able to get the price down to 1750-1800. sweet ride... really gets up to speed FAST, and is smooth as can be.
Old 08-07-04, 10:55 PM
tourist
Closet Bike-a-holic

Bikes: '02 Cannondale R700 Road Warrior

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard good things about the new Scott, but I'm not a carbon guy. Might be worth a look.

www.friscocycling.com

www.hopefellowship.net
Old 08-07-04, 11:06 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just to put my 2 cents in, and it is just a personal opinion, but I like the look of the Look (no pun intended); it seems to have a more modern aero look to it and they do it gracefully. Ride wise, I've never ridden any of those so I can't comment. I also know that Look has been building Carbon frames longer then most other companies so I would trust their technology more then some new kid on the block. Don't forget, the French are one of the worlds leading carbon fiber builders, from fighter craft to Formula race cars.
Old 08-07-04, 11:56 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tourist
I've heard good things about the new Scott, but I'm not a carbon guy. Might be worth a look.
My FBS started carrying the Scott CR1 a couple of months ago. They've been selling one a week now.
Old 08-08-04, 12:14 AM
KingRene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own the Look KX Lite frame (I outfitted it with Dura Ace wheels, Ultegra gruppo and 3T Prima finishing kit). A shade over 16 lbs.

I have no technical comments for you but I race this bicycle and I love this frame.
Old 08-08-04, 12:40 AM
BigFloppyLlama

Bikes: Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tourist
If I were in the market for a carbon frame, this would definitely be at the top of my list. At less than 900g for the frame (the forks seem to be all over the place in weight) and being one of the stiffest frames out there today (84.7Nm/° headtube, 100Nm/° bottom bracket) it's really amazing that its also been rated one of the most durable frames as well.
Old 08-08-04, 06:53 AM
cchandler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Look KG386i. It is great. It is amazing how smooth the ride is.
Old 08-08-04, 07:25 PM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info. For everyone that has made suggetions, can you get any feed back on the bike listed? It is hard to found dealer that have the right size frame built for a test ride. I have ridden the Look, Time and the Trek.
G'day,

I recently was lucky enough to be in a position to afford a 'high end' carbon frame (I got all the other 'go faster bits too!'). My shortlist came down to Colnago C50, Time VRXS, Look KG486, Bianchi, (can't remember the actual frame designation) & the Scott CR1......With this lot, how do you sort out the sublime from the supurb?...To cuts a long story short, I read everything available on all of them, test road all of them, weighed up price, upsides/downsides etc .Ultimately I would have been equally happy with either the Time or the Look, S*** who wouldn't be!, (the 6-13 was a late entry, simply on price alone!).......both are absolutely supurbly crafted & finished framesets. They did have slightly different characteristics, which you will have noticed in your test rides, The VRXS is lighter, The 486 'felt' stiffer thru the bottom bracket, the VRXS was more expensive, the 486's warranty wasn't as long...etc, etc....Ultimately, you will need to decide for yourself, you lucky, lucky, b*****d!....I ended up with the 486 & couldn't be happier.......Lets us know what you decide.......you might also conside the Look 585 which hasn't landed in OZ as yet....

cheers,

Hitchy
Old 08-08-04, 08:31 PM
flat tire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2002 Trek 5200 and have absolutely no complaints. The new color scheme and decals are ugly, IMO, but you can pick many custom colors. Treks are a dime a dozen these days, but there is a reason why. I haven't ridden any of the other carbon bikes, so my opinion is limitted to the Trek 5200.

Feedback wise, the bike is very stiff but yet comfortable. Lightweight and stable on decents. Climbs very well. My only complaint is cornering. I wish mine cornered better, but it is a 62cm frame and I think that has a lot to do with it.
Old 08-08-04, 08:47 PM
wattsy_rules

Bikes: Trek 5200 and 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have a Trek 5200 and love it. Mine is a 58" and corners with ease. I'm not sure that I earn enough money (or ride well enough) to justify buying anything costing more.
Old 08-08-04, 09:26 PM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wattsy_rules
I too have a Trek 5200 and love it. Mine is a 58" and corners with ease. I'm not sure that I earn enough money (or ride well enough) to justify buying anything costing more.

G'day wattsy,

buying bikes is not about 'justification'!!!....its about 'rationalisation'....if you can rationalise buying a new bike, its justified!....LOL.....& you call yourself a 'roadie'...shame on you!,

cheers,

Hitchy
Old 08-08-04, 09:28 PM
wattsy_rules

Bikes: Trek 5200 and 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL. See that's what happens to a man when surrounded by women...I've begun to think clearly and have a conscience. (Wattsy hangs his head in shame!)
Old 08-11-04, 05:48 PM
dwatson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well after many sleepless nights the new frame was ordered, Time VXR. I will have to wait about 4 weeks for the frame set to come in.
Hitchy, I am not so lucky I could not talk the wife into the DA 10 speed, I will have to stick with only 9 speed.
I am like at kid in a candy store now, I have a long list of new parts that I hope will be on the frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.