Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Time Trial advice this weekend.. aero bars?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 12:26 PM
Bike2Ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unexpectedly, I'm going to try my first time trial this weekend. It's a flat 40k.

I've never USED aero bars, and am wondering if... on this late of notice, if it's worth investing in a cheap pair. Performance has a set for $60. I want to do the best that I can. Without the Bars, I want to average at least 22mph... but my real goal is 23mph. I Know I can do 22.5 with rolling hills for 15 miles with some gas still in the tank. Can I keep it up for another 10 miles? Would aero bars put me closer/exceed my goal? Would they do it without practice?

My question is, would time trial bars be worth it at this time, given that I will probably only have a day to dial them in... I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. I need to make a decision in the next hour or so. (it's 2:30est)

One other question, is it better to have 200g tires(hutchenson carbon comps) at 125psi or heavier tires at 260g at 145 PSI for a time trial. Since there won't be much acceleration time, I would think that the hgiher PSI might give better rolling resistance.

Thanks
Old 08-25-04, 12:46 PM
tbick

Bikes: Cannondale 500, Motobecane Super Touring, DiamondBack Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aero bars --- Yes. They are great. comfortable and really do help with wind resistance issues. Terrible for riding in a group or traffic.

Time to ride with them before your race is important. Finding the right position may take a few rides. Also, technique and balance is different and for some folks it takes some time before they can relax and get the most out of them. Accordingly, I wouldn't suggest putting them on just before your race.....
Old 08-25-04, 01:02 PM
Bike2Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's just it.. if I order them today, I get them friday. My TT is Sunday.. I may get a ride Friday Night. I KNOW they will help. I don't expect to get under an hour, even with the bars. Even with just 1 ride... I wonder if I can get some speed.. or whether it is worth it.
Old 08-25-04, 01:11 PM
dws5b

Bikes: Scott CR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to timetrial.org for lots of good articles.
Old 08-25-04, 02:07 PM
collegeskier

Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about trying your LBS, that way you can have them today and get in more riding, and dial them in some more.
Old 08-25-04, 03:42 PM
Ajay213
Bring the tech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I keep it up for another 10 miles?
I'm not you, but generally yes, the "excitement" of racing usually gives you a little boost.

Would aero bars put me closer/exceed my goal?
Yes, at your speed a set of properly setup aero bars is probably good for a minute, maybe a little more over 40k.

Would they do it without practice?
Not unless you get lucky. It takes some tweaking to find the best aero/comfortable/power position, and then it takes more time to get used to riding in the aero bars. It's funny watching some of the local tri's and TT's, people will throw some aero-bars on a bike, but won't set them up properly or won't take the time to get used to riding in them, and then they don't use them.

One other question, is it better to have 200g tires(hutchenson carbon comps) at 125psi or heavier tires at 260g at 145 PSI for a time trial. Since there won't be much acceleration time, I would think that the hgiher PSI might give better rolling resistance.
Unless there is a climbing involved then weight isn't the most important thing to look for. The rolling resistance between 125 and 145 however will be VERY small and probably not worth the effort, pick the tire that has the least chance of going flat, the second or two you pick up by going with a "race" tire will pale in comparison to the 10+ minutes it will take to repair a flat.

Andrew
Old 08-25-04, 05:05 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I have aero bars, but I'm finding them difficult for control on bumpy roads. I needed to adjust them for weeks until I was comfortable.

Great for downhill or drafting trucks.

Old 08-25-04, 05:13 PM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
G'day,

No!...If you haven't used areo bars before, don't even consider using them this weekend. By all means get areo bars & start training with them with a view to using them in T/T's in the future, but give it a miss this weekend. If you haven't trained with them, I'll guarantee your performance in a T/T with them, will be 'negatively' affected.On short T/T's (i didn't read how long yours was), the areo benefit between riding on the drops & aero bars is so insignificant as not to matter. The downside is that your power & position on the bike will take some getting used to. Again, do not use them this week, but definately consider them for future T/T's,

cheers,

Hitchy
Old 08-25-04, 06:13 PM
SDS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The difference between aerobars and no aerobars is no less than .6-.7mph. Over 25 miles, I would want them badly. My recommendation is to go down to the bike shop and grab them. Raise your stem if you can to make up for the flexibility you don't have. It's a little harder to get your elbows all the way down. Stretch before you ride. Make sure you have cadence up on the computer for the TT. HR too if you've got it. Keep trying to push the cadence up and shift up if you do it.
Old 08-25-04, 07:29 PM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDS
The difference between aerobars and no aerobars is no less than .6-.7mph. Over 25 miles, I would want them badly. My recommendation is to go down to the bike shop and grab them. Raise your stem if you can to make up for the flexibility you don't have. It's a little harder to get your elbows all the way down. Stretch before you ride. Make sure you have cadence up on the computer for the TT. HR too if you've got it. Keep trying to push the cadence up and shift up if you do it.

g'day,

Crap!....maybe the differences you are quoting might be relevant to someone who has had plenty of practise/experience riding in this position......but the poster has never used areo bars before & is considering them for a race 2 DAYS AWAY!....he hasn't even brought them yet.....any use of areobars under these conditions is unlikely to produce any advantage as against the likely negative outcomes of using them without having any setup changes having spent any time getting used riding in an areo position under race stress. If the T/T is 25 miles, I have no doubt that the aero bars will be next to useless in the 'posters' situation. I have ridden perhaps 100 T/T's & competed at state level,(not that any of this makes me an expert), however to recommend areobars to a T/T newbie 2 DAYS before the T/T is just plain bad advice,

hitchy
Old 08-25-04, 08:36 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to aero-bars too. It took me several rides just to get used to getting into them, much less getting them dialed-in to ride in some relative comfort. When I started the adjusting process, I had to make other adjustments to seat position, tilt, and height. I can now do over 5 miles in the bars.

I'm with Hitchy on this one. It is an entirely new skill to learn. One which you need to do right without the pressure of the race environment.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 08-26-04, 06:32 AM
Bike2Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

As for the local LBS... their cheapest aerobars in stock were over $100. I'm not paying that much for something I won't use very often. They recommended the internet. With coupon and points, I can get a cheap set of clip on's for about $45 at performancebike. I usually buy LBS, but this is an exception.

I decided against them for this time trial. I feel that with the FLAT 40k, I'm going to shoot for 23mph average... or to beat 1:06... wind permitting. It's my first, so I feel that this is a reasonable goal. I'll let you know how I do.