Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No Showers

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

No Showers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 04:34 AM
wooljersey

Bikes: Dean Titanium with S&S couplers, Spcialized Stumpjumper M2, Bridgestone RB-1 with S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 5 Posts
No Showers

I started a new job yesterday with the largest employer in my community. Since I have been 'on the road' for the last ten years, I was excited about the opportunity to commute by bike again. Unfortunately the facility my office is in does not have showers. Most of the company's other buildings do, but mine is the oldest.

Since I have to dress up for work, I just don't see how I can do a 9 mile (each way commute).
Old 04-20-10, 05:06 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Wooljersey. Can't you just go to another building for a shower? I realize that would add time to your commute, but that's the only thing I can think about. After you shower, you should be able to make a short ride to another building in your dress-up clothes.

If the bathrooms are for one person at a time, you might be able to sponge bathe...
Old 04-20-10, 05:31 AM
LouisIV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No showers here either.

I do 14 miles each way.

I have to dress up for work.

Either find a 1-hole (bathroom that is only one toilet) or find a handicapped stall.
I use babywipes, and anti-perspirant. I smell fine, and I feel AMAZING because of the exercise on the way in.

Ride in poorman's lycra (polyester, Target has some REALLY good stuff at a really affordable price), and change clothes after your baby-wipe rub-down.

If you're worried about your clothes getting wrinkled, drive in on monday with your clothes for the next 4 days. I fold my stuff carefully, and into ziplock baggies, drop it in the pannier, and I'm fine. (I made my pannier for about 8 dollars using a kitty litter bucket, some bolts, and some bungie, but there are also garment bag panniers out there)

There are always going to be excuses not to ride in, but there are plenty of good reasons TO ride in. Just don't think saving on gas is one of them lolz, I save a gallon of gas a day. Down here, that's about 2.50-$2.75. I'd say I spent at least that on the extra food I have to eat. But, on the whole, human fuel tastes better than car fuel.

Plus, you get to be outside, you get to ride, and oh yeah, did I mention ENDORPHINES? Amazing stuff. I drove in yesterday, because of errands I needed to do for work during the day. Felt like crap, sleepy, exhausted. Got up 2 hrs earlier today and rode in. Feel AMAZING.

Give it a shot on a day you don't have any big meetings, and see from there. Can't hurt to try it at least once.
Old 04-20-10, 05:35 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We didn't have proper shower facilities until a couple of years back. I would take a shower in the morning before commute, ride about 15 kms to work, arrive all sweaty, go to bathroom and use baby wipes. Change of clothes and I was ready, though we don't have a dress code here. Getting your work clothes there wrinkle-free may require some thinking, but it can be done. I have a Smartpack Suit Pack (I'm a guy), it's great but they've been "out of stock" since forever. I'm sure there are other solutions.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 04-20-10, 05:42 AM
snorkel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No showers here either. I shower right before I get on the bike in the morning and put on clean "bike clothes" (typically cargo pants and a cotton shirt). I have a garment pannier from Nashbar that I keep my work clothes in. When I get to work I go to my office and shut the door. Cool down a bit and then towel off (I keep a towel in the office). I then use baby wipes to freshen up and put on some fresh deodorant. Get dressed and go to the restroom where I wet my hair and dry it again in order to remove the weird corn row look that my bike helmet gives me. So far nobody has complained about me being stinky, nor has anyone complained about my professional appearance during the workday. I think the key is to shower right before setting off in the morning and wearing clean clothes. Sweat by itself is not smelly.. It is sweat combined with bacteria that is smelly. If you start clean it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm a bit spoiled by having my own office, but I think I could manage just as effectively in the men's room.
Old 04-20-10, 06:30 AM
bergjm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wooljersey - Not sure if you mean suit an tie or business caual (nice shirt and dress pants). The client I am working at now, I were a golf type shirt and dress slacks, and I fold them nicely and use the plastic from the cleaners. I put the folded pants into the plastic, then put the folded shirt on top of the plastic and fold the top part of the plastic over the shirt and slide it carefully into the pannier. The clothes stay nice without wrinkling. If you have to wear a suit, there are panniers that are built for that as snorkel mentioned. Do a search on "pannier suit" and you will see other threads on this.

I also have no shower facilities (I can dream though), so like others have said I take a good shower before leaving home, and dress in clean "cycling clothes" right before leaving the house. Before changing into my work clothes, I try to sit at my desk for a bit in front of my fan to try and cool down a little. To change, I go into a stall in the bathroom, and use Bathing Wipes (No Rinse, Fresh Bath) to wipe off - I think they clean a little better than baby wipes. Along with the Bathing Wipes, I keep deodorant and a small towel in a desk drawer in my cubicle, so I can dry off and freshen up. If I am really hot the hair under the sink helps. I don't need a comb since I usually get a haircut before it gets to the "needing combed" stage.
Old 04-20-10, 06:34 AM
snorkel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If interested, this is the garment pannier I use: https://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...2_166278_-1___

No complaints.
Old 04-20-10, 07:55 AM
opie

Bikes: 2012 Venge, 2011 Transition, Surly Troll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there not a gym close by maybe? You might could work out a deal with a smaller gym (not a big chain like LA Fitness) where they would let you shower for a nominal fee per month if you brought your own soap and towel
Old 04-20-10, 07:59 AM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You list Midwest in your profile. Midwest is big, but here in Chicago, I feel sweating only becomes in issue in the summer months. I do pace myself in the morning, and don't sweat at all (spring, winter, fall). See if you have dry cleaning in the area where you work. I do that sometimes in the summer or fall that I just pick up dry cleaning right by my job and hang it up in my cubicle. That allows me to come in in t-shirts. My dress shoes are already always at work. We have a handicapped bathroom, which I use to freshen up. Works well.
Old 04-20-10, 08:12 AM
dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work for a certain large state transportation agency and we don't have any showers either. (ARG!) But I ride 9 miles each way everyday with the wet paper towel/deodorant thing. Works great. I'd still rather have a shower, but that won't happen in this building.
Old 04-20-10, 08:15 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
22 mile round trip, no showers here, either. A shower before leaving the house, a cool-down period and a 2 minute sink bath are all that's required to not smell or feel nasty.
Old 04-20-10, 12:55 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently have a shower and locker room, but I didn't for a long time and used the baby wipes and deoderant in the desk method. I think the baby wipe idea is pretty well documented and widely used. Depending on the temperature, personal level of fitness, and propensity to sweat, you may need some extra cool down time. If I've had a particulary hot ride in, I will use a paper towel wet with cold water from the bathroom sink to help me cool down before I get into the baby wipes. Sometimes I would need to give the back of my neck and top of my head (very short hair) a second "cool down" wipe 5-10 minutes after I've dressed.

As for clothes: Unless you are needing to carry a suit and tye or pressed outfit, rolling the outfit up seems to be the easiest way for me to avoid too many wrinkles. I start with my slacks as a base, put my shirt, underwear, and socks on top, loosely roll everything up from the ankle cuff, and use my belt to loosely secure the roll. It fits in my panier along with my lunch and raingear.

Always wear clean and fresh riding clothes. Let the clothes take the funk off your body when you remove them rather than compound the stink with dirty clothes.

9 miles isn't that long of a commute. Take your time to enjoy the ride. Don't make it a race (on the way to the office anyway), and you shouldn't require too much cleanup.
Old 04-21-10, 10:28 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We've got showers where I work, but some of the cyclists don't bother ... they just cool off, wipe off and change.
Old 04-21-10, 11:10 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like a product called Rocket Shower. I also have some home made dry shampoo. Works well for me.
Old 04-21-10, 11:16 AM
brawny
Grateful Tread

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Cardiac (hardtail MB/commuter), Aquila Pave (aluminum tourer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
We've got showers where I work, but some of the cyclists don't bother ... they just cool off, wipe off and change.
+1.

We have showers that I could use, but unless I'm sweating bullets, there isn't any point. I work in my bike gear for about 1/2 hr or so, and then off to the bathroom to freshen up. I'm a cubicle rat, and have a filing cabinet that keeps a big enough wardrobe that I just cycle clothes home for washing as they get dirty. Change of seasons is a bugger though - I've got a filing cabinet full of long sleeve stuff and sweaters.

I also have a bar fridge under my desk (not sure if mgmt would approve, so shhh!), that I keep stocked with hardboiled eggs, cheese, yogurt, veggies, fruit, etc. I figure I spend half my waking hours here during the work week, so I'm entitled to act like I live here! :-)
Old 04-21-10, 11:20 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shower in the morning and try to pace myself to limit sweating. Once at work I wash my hair in a sink and clean up a bit using either wet towel or wipes. Then I apply deodorant and I change clothes (including socks and sneakers). Although I dress totally casual (shorts and t-shirts) but I could do the same if I had to wear a suit. The main point is that I don't smell. I'd just have to get a better pannier with a garment carrier for more formal clothing.

I also keep my hair very short, shave underarms and wear merino wool when riding. I do sweat a lot but these strategies allow me avoid being a nuisance to my coworkers
Old 04-21-10, 11:25 AM
justintime

Bikes: Windsor Tourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the baby wipe wipedown method. Take it easy on the ride in, cool off for a minute, then wipe body with baby wipes and rinse hair in the sink. Works great for me.
Old 04-22-10, 10:04 AM
mskibinski
Skibby

Bikes: 2009 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Specialized Allez Pro, 2010 Trek Top Fuel 9.8, 2003 Stumpjumper FSR, 1998 Raleigh M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started commuting a couple of days a week to a new job in March. It's a 30 miles one way and when I started they had no showers. I talked to another part time bike commuter and lunchtime joggers and we convinced the company to put a shower in at work for all of us. We used a oversized bathroom in another building, took out the toliet and installed a shower. It ended up being only around $400 total, which isn't too bad. I only had to do the no shower thing for a couple of weeks and it wasn't that bad because it was still cold in the morning. In the summer months it would have got bad, though. If interested here are a couple of links for the shower. Good luck!
https://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageId=64&sku=431054
https://kscdirect.com/item/MUS%2B72/E...XT%2BBASE%250A
Old 04-22-10, 10:29 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shower and get dressed in another building (gym) which is about 1/4 mile away.
Old 04-22-10, 02:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
maybe shower in the other building?
if you do a sink cleanup you might try what I did in the past:
diluted Neutrogena shampoo and washcloth - good for the head and underarms, etc. Neutrogena rinses really well
just bring a hand towel too
if you arrive early enough - no one will ever know!
+1 for showering before you ride
Old 04-23-10, 07:11 AM
benda18

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this thread reminds me of one of my favorite BSNYC pieces:

Nonetheless, I stand by my semi-serious assertion that what we cyclists need is not greater protection from bike theft, but rather an overall relaxing of the dress code. Theft will continue to exist no matter what we do, but there's no reason we shouldn't be able to ride our bikes to work because our bosses require us to meet some arbitrary standard of appearance. If you listen to the morning traffic report, it's full of car accidents, stalled trains, and general mishaps. Really, commuting is a battle--people actually die getting to work. Yet we feel compelled to maintain the illusion that the whole endeavor is dignified, as though battling for your life on the streets is somehow more civilized if you do it in khaki pants and wingtips. But the truth is that a "business casual" clusterf**k is still a clusterf**k, and there's no reason we should all have to pretend we didn't travel to get to work.
https://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009...-you-wear.html
Old 04-23-10, 07:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
re: "there's no reason we should all have to pretend we didn't travel to get to work"

right on, man
Old 04-23-10, 08:24 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Given that a bicycle is an energy saving device, how come pedestrians don't need to shower upon arrival at work?

Paul
Old 04-23-10, 10:51 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Given that a bicycle is an energy saving device, how come pedestrians don't need to shower upon arrival at work?
That's easy. If we went the same speed as pedestrians, it WOULD save energy. But once we get on a bike and feel how easy it is, we just put enough effort into going faster that it isn't as easy any more.

If a typical walking speed is 3 mph, you wouldn't break a sweat to go that fast. If anything, you'd have to shower from cleaning your wounds from falling due to going so slow.

How about 6 mph? That's a slow jog. You probably still wouldn't break a sweat to ride that fast, but you'd be sweaty if you got to work as a pedestrian going that fast.

Double it again, 12 mph is an easy-going pace for me. Unless it was really hot out, I wouldn't sweat to ride that fast. We're already going 4X faster and only maybe would we break a sweat.

But you knew this. Just wanted someone to type it out, right? Hehehe
Old 04-23-10, 11:05 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by truman
22 mile round trip, no showers here, either. A shower before leaving the house, a cool-down period and a 2 minute sink bath are all that's required to not smell or feel nasty.
^^ this
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.