Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mountain Bike 23 lbs. Road bike 19-21lbs. Why you still ride a road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 02:14 AM
PeaceGrabber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see some lightweight hardtail Mountain Bike weight around 22 to 23 lbs. In term of weight, it is not a big differences compare with mid to low end model road bikes. Why you still ride a roadie? I am just curious to know. I heard many and many people said that it is more efficient, com'on 2 to 3 lbs lighter will not increase 3 mph in an average rider.

I like roadie because the drop style handle bar really helps when riding against the cross wind.

I like hardtail MTB because I can drive to anywhere I want. If I have the money for a new MT bike, I would install a roadie carbon fork on a Ti or CF mountain bike to reduce more weight.
At the end, I would be laughing if I drive pass a professional roadie beside me.

"I hluf and bluf and blow you down".
Old 08-29-04, 04:22 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PeaceGrabber
I see some lightweight hardtail Mountain Bike weight around 22 to 23 lbs. In term of weight, it is not a big differences compare with mid to low end model road bikes. Why you still ride a roadie? I am just curious to know. I heard many and many people said that it is more efficient, com'on 2 to 3 lbs lighter will not increase 3 mph in an average rider.

I like roadie because the drop style handle bar really helps when riding against the cross wind.

I like hardtail MTB because I can drive to anywhere I want. If I have the money for a new MT bike, I would install a roadie carbon fork on a Ti or CF mountain bike to reduce more weight.
At the end, I would be laughing if I drive pass a professional roadie beside me.

It's not really about the weight (time-trial bikes and track bikes are relatively beefy), unless you're riding up hills -- it's more about the rigidity and the wheels & tyres.

Having said that, I often see guys on MTBs keeping pace on fast group rides.

You may not notice the difference if you test rode a road bike, but if you rode a good one for a few months, the went back to the MTB, I'd say it would make your MTB fell like a bus by comparison.

Last edited by 531Aussie; 08-29-04 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-29-04, 04:30 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
You can still have fun blowing the doors off some guy on a 15lb bike, just buy a cheap old (but still nice) steel 80s road bike, which will probably weigh about 23lbs, then HAMMER AWAY!!

I'd say this is a better idea than puting a carbon fork on a MTB
Old 08-29-04, 04:49 AM
BigFloppyLlama

Bikes: Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=PeaceGrabber]I see some lightweight hardtail Mountain Bike weight around 22 to 23 lbs. In term of weight, it is not a big differences compare with mid to low end model road bikes./QUOTE]

That's the reason right there. To get that mountain bike down to 22-23 pounds you'll be spending a ton more than what that mid to low end road bike costs. Given an equal budget you'd see quite a larger difference than 3 pounds between the mountain and road bike.
Old 08-29-04, 04:53 AM
Al.canoe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the mountain bike is set up for dirt/off-road, it's no fun at all to ride on the road. I'm on my road bike 3 to 4 hours, I can't imagine riding flat bars and knobbies that long unless it's on dirt. I ride my mountain bike between 2 and 3 hours on dirt where it belongs. There's a heck of a lot more to cycling then bike weight. Weight, except for body weight, is not all that relevent except for competition and bragging.

Al
Old 08-29-04, 05:11 AM
JBBOOKS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both!
Old 08-29-04, 05:27 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Ever look at how a mountain bike is geared? Assuming you aren't into spending lots of money for no reason, a low-end road bike comes stock geared much better for the street than any mountain bike. With a 42 at your biggest chain ring, you run out of gearing really quick going downhill on a mountain bike.
Old 08-29-04, 08:56 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If I have the money for a new MT bike, I would install a roadie carbon fork on a Ti or CF mountain bike to reduce more weight.
So if you're so smart, how come you don't have the money?
Old 08-29-04, 09:05 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
isn't what you are desribing a crossbike?
Old 08-29-04, 09:06 AM
daratbastid
We gotta go up there!?

Bikes: 199? GT-RST-3 dual, 199? Specialized Hardrock rigid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
heheh
Old 08-29-04, 09:13 AM
LordOpie

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're 22% faster on a road bike.
Old 08-29-04, 09:27 AM
Ajay213
Bring the tech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3lbs won't increase your speed 3mph, however riding in a more aero position will easily give you 3mph for the average rider on these forums. The upright position on a MTB just sucks when you are on the street riding into a good headwind.

And how much do you have to spend to get into a 23lb MTB? My hardtail is pretty far low on the price scale and weighs easily in the 30-35lb range. Even an entry level road bike, picked up for $400-600 will weigh in around 23lbs or lower.

Andrew
Old 08-29-04, 09:38 AM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motobecane Fly Team is $1700 and weighs in around 18lbs.

A roadie is more efficient because of the riding position and the wheels. Even if you put slicks on a mtb the roadie will still have the advantage of being more aerodynamic.
Old 08-29-04, 09:45 AM
Eman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you should ride whatever you like. If you do ride in many different types of terrain, a MTB geometry may be best for you. Gary Fisher has some cool bikes called dual sports that have 29 inch wheels. A cyclocross bike also may be a real good choice. However, let me tell you, riding either you will not pass a road cyclist with the same fitness level, and certainly not a professional.
Old 08-29-04, 12:55 PM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've go 1.5 inch 85 lb semi slick tires on my MB and it is still a tank compared to my road bike.
Old 08-29-04, 01:36 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Submitted to Troll Competition.
Old 08-29-04, 02:38 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
excellent!
Old 08-29-04, 04:23 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And one more comparison to fuel the fire.

A recumbent lowracer is roughly 25% more efficient than a road bike.

So if a roadie were to pass a mountain bike, both of the riders cranking out 300 watts, the lowracer would walk away from the roadie just as fast as the roadie is walking away from the mountain bike.
Thats all I have to add.
Old 08-29-04, 05:23 PM
mcavana
the commutor / tourer

Bikes: trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dude,

Mountain bikes are cool, and certainly have their place in the world. The fact is though on a long road ride, a road bike will get you there much faster, with much less energy. If you want to argue with these simple facts, please submit all future questions to: gettorider.com
Old 08-29-04, 05:34 PM
LordOpie

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowracer1
A recumbent lowracer is roughly 25% more efficient than a road bike.
where the heck did you come up with that number?!
Old 08-29-04, 05:38 PM
Phiber
Cyclocrosser.

Bikes: '04 Marin Nail Trail, '04 Haro V-3, '05 Soul Monk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclocross! I donlt think I would ever get a pure bred roadie. Unless I came up with a couple grand for a bday present
Old 08-29-04, 06:07 PM
daratbastid
We gotta go up there!?

Bikes: 199? GT-RST-3 dual, 199? Specialized Hardrock rigid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh god a recline-a-rider straggled into this now. Yeah yeah you guys may be faster and more comfortable and what not...but you just look damn freaky comming down the road
Old 08-29-04, 07:20 PM
p38karl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTEAt the end, I would be laughing if I drive pass a professional roadie beside me]
How do you know that the roadie you are passing hasn't already done 80 or 90 miles already that day.
Old 08-29-04, 07:26 PM
LordOpie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I'm in the business... the business of kicking your ass and business is booming." ~ Meatwad, the troll-buster.