Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-13, 07:25 AM
ndredsox

Bikes: Raleigh Talus 29(MTB), Trek Madone 2.1(Road), Felt B16(Tri)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
Nice looking bike..... but the setup looks a bit unusual.

I hope the pic is before you adjusted the seat; it has a rather large downward angle. That looks like a pretty long stem and stretch. Where is your head when you are on the bike? I test rode a WSD Trek that was too small and my head felt like it was too far forward. Did you try the next frame size up?
You're right, they do look weird. Not sure why the photo looks all skewed like that. It's on a Cycleops Trainer in the photo, and I was sitting down on the ground - so that combo may produce this. Otherwise, it runs straight and just waiting for 8/14 for my retul fitting.
Frame is a 60cm, stem is a stock 110 race lite, & front hub is hidden while in the drops.
Old 07-05-13, 02:45 PM
Maverick 861
Maverick861

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to biking... I'm 34 and have always enjoyed biking on a recreational level, but just recently started thinking about training and making it more of my daily lifestyle. I'm 6'2, 185 lbs and in the process of picking up new gear that fits my new goals. I've been reading through all the forums, especially this thread... trying to get a better idea on what to purchase. Any suggestions on the best type of cycling jerseys and shorts to buy? I've been looking at several sites with the big brands like Castelli and ASSOS... like these... https://www.tourcycling.com/category/...rt-sleeve.aspx ...but there's a lot of options and I'm not sure what will be the best fit? Don't want to buy a bunch of new gear, that I'll regret later... any recommendations? Any advice is appreciated!
Old 07-05-13, 02:56 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generic (i.e., no stupid logos) carbon/ti skewers relatively cheap from bikehubstore...gonna ditch the blue accents on the Parlee and go total stealth (with gumwalls) for a bit...
Old 07-05-13, 03:00 PM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got a great deal on this Powertap wheelset today on Performancebike.com:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
powertap wheelset.jpg (14.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-05-13, 03:06 PM
mustridebikes

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continental Grand Prix 4000 Bicycle Tire - I picked up the silver ones to go with the white look on the Bianchi

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

Also some white bar tape because ya can never have clean enough bar tape.
Old 07-05-13, 03:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Tires stayed on, even in 106F heat.
Old 07-05-13, 04:55 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got a Sram Red WiFlii rear D medium cage

and a new specialized Romin saddle with carbon rails

Attached Images
Old 07-05-13, 04:58 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Maverick 861
Hi all, I'm new to biking... I'm 34 and have always enjoyed biking on a recreational level, but just recently started thinking about training and making it more of my daily lifestyle. I'm 6'2, 185 lbs and in the process of picking up new gear that fits my new goals. I've been reading through all the forums, especially this thread... trying to get a better idea on what to purchase. Any suggestions on the best type of cycling jerseys and shorts to buy? I've been looking at several sites with the big brands like Castelli and ASSOS... like these... https://www.tourcycling.com/category/...rt-sleeve.aspx ...but there's a lot of options and I'm not sure what will be the best fit? Don't want to buy a bunch of new gear, that I'll regret later... any recommendations? Any advice is appreciated!
If money is no object then get those, but you won't feel any cooler than cheap $15 jerseys found at Walmart, of course the Walmart ones don't come with those drug store advertising billboard wanabe racer prints, and they don't come with those nifty rear pockets. Short wise you do need to spend a bit of money to get good shorts, so the Louis Garneau Request MS Shorts are not bad for the money and really good for the beginner on that web site you gave. Or you can go to Nashbar and get the better Canari Ultra Short on sale for $25 from $90; see: https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...02_-1___202491 And if you must have the advertising billboard type of jersey simply browse the Nashbar site and find one that you like that has the highest percentage off (you can sort the list that way too).
Old 07-05-13, 05:10 PM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've never heard of tourcycling, but you might want to check out TheClymb and Chainlove, they have a lot of deals on assos and castelli gear. Also, competitivecyclist is having a TDF sale right now and have some assos gear on sale.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/td..._M1&mv_pc=r105

I find each brand fits a little different, and sizing even changes within a brand depending on the cut. Honestly, if you're going to drop $150-$200 on a nice assos jersey, you might want to bite the bullet on the $20-$40 you save buying online and instead buy it a shop where you can try it on. Once you know the fit, you can purchase online in the future.

Personally, I wear a size L tshirt but usually get XL jerseys in a race cut so they're tight and don't flap in the wind. I wear a lot of twinsix gear and find their XL jerseys and bibs to fit perfectly...being 6' and 195lbs (still working on losing more weight).

Old 07-05-13, 05:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Do Walmart jerseys have zippers? Because they do affect cooling.
Old 07-05-13, 07:21 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
Department of Goods is also a good source for discounted cycling apparel
Old 07-05-13, 10:14 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FINALLY replaced my old Oval (Fuji brand) brake with this brand new 105 5700 brake. Its cable pull ratio actually matches my 105 5700 levers, so I get optimal braking power. Cost? $46 with my employee discount (I work at a bike shop)

Also bought this with my first paycheck.

Cost came to $367 with tax and Performance's 15% off (my bike shop doesn't have proper provisions with QBP to order Garmin). If anyone is interested in knowing what wholesale cost for something is, let me know (I have access to QBP and J&B catalogs). This, however, is not an offer to sell stuff for cheaper than MSRP.
Old 07-06-13, 01:02 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts

Old 07-06-13, 05:44 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A new shift cable and crimp. I'm outta control.
Old 07-06-13, 08:48 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13718 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,508 Posts
Tube, patch kit, electrolytes.
Old 07-09-13, 12:28 AM
L84AD8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A pair of these Italian beauties...

With a set of these Frenchies..

Can't wait to try them out on the trainer tonight..
Attached Images
Old 07-09-13, 06:27 AM
Maverick 861
Maverick861

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the insight rekmeyata... I did go ahead and purchase a Castelli Tri-Top from Tour Cycle, to get me started... and I thought those Louis Garneau shorts would be a good fit as well, so I'll probably grab them now... but thanks for the insight on Walmart! I had no idea they sold any kind of Jersey... I'll check that out! I'll also check out Nashbar! Thanks again for the tips!
Old 07-09-13, 06:33 AM
Maverick 861
Maverick861

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree SpeshulED! Tour Cycling is in Florida... so I went in this weekend and tried on a jersey that fit really well.. and went ahead and purchased it! Now I know how they fit so I can buy more... which is a little tighter than I expected! Thanks for the web link... I'll definitely check this out... I'm still in need of shorts and it looks like they've got some good stuff at Competitive Cyclist as well!
Old 07-09-13, 07:20 AM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice, congrats on your purchases...yeah, they always seem to fit a little tighter than expected, but I like that personally - hate it when they flop around or sag in the back.

Old 07-09-13, 07:29 AM
soma5
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Took a big swig of Kool Aid and bought a Barfly 2.0 for my Garmin Edge 500, even though I've used it for over a year strapped to the stem with nothing negative to say about it.
Old 07-09-13, 07:31 AM
ghughes20

Bikes: 2011 Giant Defy 1, 1986 Raleigh Racing USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two jerseys and and a head light for evening rides after work. The jeseys are those with ugly logos, however, they were purchased for their light colors and they were on sale.
Old 07-09-13, 07:44 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My suggestion on jersey/bibshorts, get a couple of good quality ones to start, but you don't need to oeverspend. I would start with some mid-level but high quality ones like Sugoi (RS or RSE line) or Louis Garneau (Equipe or Carbon) or P.I. (PRO). Their high-end products are very well made without the European brand's premium. BTW, from my personal experience, the brands I listed are typically true to North America sizing. Castelli's sizing is a bit inconsistent; their higher end gears (e.g. Aero jersey or bibshorts) are about one size smaller than NA sizing. ASSOS is very consistent in their sizing, and they fall someone between NA and European sizing in body but typically runs a bit short on sleeves (for long-sleeve jersey). FWIW, I am 5'10 and 160, I wear M in Sugoi/PI, L in Castelli, and L for ASSOS jersey and M for ASSOS bibshorts.
Old 07-09-13, 07:48 AM
parkersdad

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a new Garmin 510. I live it so far.
Old 07-09-13, 11:09 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tired of breaking plastic levers. Going to try these Park Tool steel ones w/composite coating

Old 07-09-13, 11:29 AM
onikazi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sram s100 48t - 170mm for my SS. i have a 175mm on there and my knee is getting lots of pain.

plus its a test drive for a new cranklength when i get an exogram

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.