Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So you think you want to be a pro racer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So you think you want to be a pro racer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 08:28 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great post bassplayer. nice sentiment. makes one think about stuff.

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 05-07-07, 08:34 PM
VT to CA
Roman Killer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassplayinbiker
yea, I am just a kid. A kid with 4 years of Race expirence.
Give it 10 years.

Look, the reality of the CAT 5-2 situation is tough, nobody ever wants to hear it... but here it is. If you are not athletically gifted enough to consistently place in these CATs without team tactics, you're not going to go much further. Period. Team tactics are a huge part of pro races, obviously. They should be practiced. But you need to be winning every race you can, not just learning from it. You have less time than you think. The window is narrow, win as much as you can, you'll have plenty of time to worry about tactics later, if you're lucky.

As for food and shelter hardships... I see so many of my friends living in crappy apartments, papering corporations with resumes and going prematurly bald from stress... me on the other hand? I'm having a great time. People in and around this sport are so generous, I've never wanted for a hot meal or a couch to crash on. It's not about suffering- you get plenty of that on the bike.

Just lighten up and have a good time. Don't worry about advising guys like Ryanf... do you really think he's listening? you're thinking "8 Mile" when it's clearly "Stripes" time, baby.
Old 05-07-07, 08:35 PM
Ryanf
Banned.

Bikes: giant tcr c1 and giant ocr limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm listening.

Last edited by Ryanf; 05-08-07 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-07-07, 08:38 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice. I'll keep my 'aspirations' to myself on the pro matter, though.
Old 05-07-07, 08:41 PM
2Tired2Shift
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard a story (secondhand) told by George Hincapie. He was talking about how poor he was early in his career before he got sponsorship. He was in an important race and in good position for what was setting up to be a sprint finish. A kilometer or so before the finish line everyone started taking a final swig and tossing their bottles, except for George. He talked about the difficult decision he faced in tossing his bottles as he really couldn't afford to replace them. I don't remember whether he ended up tossing them but he did end up placing.
Old 05-07-07, 08:48 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a huge world of difference between those that make cycling a hobby--competitive or not--and those that have a go at making a living at it. Pity those that don't see that.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 05-07-07, 08:52 PM
BigSean

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT to CA
Give it 10 years.

Look, the reality of the CAT 5-2 situation is tough, nobody ever wants to hear it... but here it is. If you are not athletically gifted enough to consistently place in these CATs without team tactics, you're not going to go much further. Period. Team tactics are a huge part of pro races, obviously. They should be practiced. But you need to be winning every race you can, not just learning from it. You have less time than you think. The window is narrow, win as much as you can, you'll have plenty of time to worry about tactics later, if you're lucky.

As for food and shelter hardships... I see so many of my friends living in crappy apartments, papering corporations with resumes and going prematurly bald from stress... me on the other hand? I'm having a great time. People in and around this sport are so generous, I've never wanted for a hot meal or a couch to crash on. It's not about suffering- you get plenty of that on the bike.

Just lighten up and have a good time. Don't worry about advising guys like Ryanf... do you really think he's listening? you're thinking "8 Mile" when it's clearly "Stripes" time, baby.

So your saying stress makes ya bald?
Old 05-07-07, 08:53 PM
Brian6751

Bikes: Fuji Newest 4.0 (my first road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
There's a huge world of difference between those that make cycling a hobby--competitive or not--and those that have a go at making a living at it. Pity those that don't see that.
No crap. I have no plans of quiting my job when I start racing. Its just for fun. And I would like to know just what is wrong with cold chili? Plus, eating cold chili will NOT make you faster. I have tried this. I know.

Sam Adams the night before does though.

Last edited by Brian6751; 05-07-07 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-07-07, 09:02 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
>>So you think you want to be a pro racer?<<

No.
Old 05-07-07, 09:08 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VT to CA
Give it 10 years.

+1. If you've got what it takes to be a 1 it will likely be evident when you're still a 4. You're not sitting in the pack waiting for the final corner because you call yourself a sprinter. You're off the front trying to break everybody's knee caps. If you're not off the front it's because you're already up a lap. You're not relying on your strength because it's good enough to win now. You're training your weakness so it won't be used against you.

Look at the US guys that are doing well in Europe. Almost all of them regularly whupped guys years older then they were. You should read Bobke Roll's stories about surviving in Europe....riding to a race and having to place so he had money to eat THAT NIGHT then riding back home.
Old 05-07-07, 10:46 PM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the good post -- for both a newb at racing and playing the bass.
Old 05-07-07, 10:57 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
+1 I decided at age 16 that I wasn't cut out for the Olympics. Although I took a 6 year vacation from riding to get a higher education, I am back on the bike now and enjoying it as a hobby just as much as I did as a competitor. No Olympics, no local crits, not even trying to catch that guy in a pro kit who passed me on the MUP. Just enjoying myself and happy to be in shape and healthy.
Old 05-07-07, 11:16 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drink clam chowder (white) out of the can regularly. Good stuff. Chilli is alright cold but the heat seems to bring the flavor out more.

Agreed with what the OP said though. I want to do well, hurt a lot of people, and move up to racing Cat1/2 soon, but I have no aspirations of going pro. I can make better money working 40 hrs a week and get enough hours on the bike to stay competitive. It's going to suck, but I want to see how good I can be, but not at the expense of being happy and having a good job. Bike racing can end suddenly, taxes don't.
Old 05-07-07, 11:47 PM
bbp
hooray for spring

Bikes: 2008 Look 586

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should know pretty quickly if have the genetics to be a pro. You shouldn't be struggling to cat up from 5 to 4.
Old 05-08-07, 01:18 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Sorry bdcheung, I am hoping that this very postive thread doesn't become another ryanf thread that eventually has to be removed from the forum. I would hate for it to end like that. Hope you understand.
Very positive? Very silly.
Old 05-08-07, 01:24 AM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a pro racer? no thanks. i'll go get a job at a gas station so i can afford to do cool stuff like buy things.
Old 05-08-07, 01:28 AM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What if I just want to be a regionally competitive CAT-2?
Old 05-08-07, 02:04 AM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
What if I just want to be a regionally competitive CAT-2?
Then you have permission to heat your canned chili.
Old 05-08-07, 02:16 AM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
Then you have permission to heat your canned chili.
Rock.
Old 05-08-07, 05:54 AM
Davey
Peeled out too late

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was on a mountain bike trip out west a few years ago and one of the guides, Pablo, told a story about being on the Junior National Cycling Team with Lance in the late 80s. Obviously, everybody on the team was completely dedicated to cycling and competition. Pablo spoke of how every minute of every day, every calorie he took in, virtually everything the team did somehow fit into the training plan. Even though it was the Junior National team, their whole lives were focused on training and competition. Pablo related an occasion when the squad was on a training ride in Colorado, on a long, steep climb to some mountain pass. Pablo described this climb as suffering beyond suffering. There he was, giving everything he had, literally, to cycling, and to this climb. Every minute of every day, every calorie taken in...and every last watt of energy, suffering beyond suffering on this climb, grinding pedal stroke after grinding pedal stroke....and then...Lance just rode by like it was nothing...pulled away from the rest of the group like it was nothing. Pablo thought, "f*** this," pulled to the side of the road and decided to leave the team right there. That was it. Turned around, rode back down and had some ice cream. End of racing career.

He seemed quite happy as an MTB guide in Moab, though.
Old 05-08-07, 07:06 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
On the plus side, a hot pot is $10, and pasta is about the cheapest food available.
Old 05-08-07, 10:46 AM
shawngrubbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chucklehead
a pro racer? no thanks. i'll go get a job at a gas station so i can afford to do cool stuff like buy things.
I have no clue here, what kind of money does the average pro rider make?
Old 05-08-07, 10:50 AM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the average pro makes as much money selling their unused sponsor garb and equipment on ebay as they do racing their bike. and that's only a small exaggeration. meaning i think they make more on ebay.
Old 05-08-07, 10:52 AM
Ryanf
Banned.

Bikes: giant tcr c1 and giant ocr limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not if you are Ullrich then you are making millions.
Old 05-08-07, 10:59 AM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryanf
Not if you are Ullrich then you are making millions.
yeah, well the average pro doesn't ride for world class team a with a stellar doping program that can afford to shoot them up with god-knows-what.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.