Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Something said at LBS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Something said at LBS

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 10:39 PM
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A chopper is the most mis-understood example there is. Choppers essentially have no rake in the way that a bicycle does. The fork legs are a direct continuation of the head tube and the head tube angle on a chopper is very low. The correct term for a bike fork is actually "offset" and it indicates the distance that the axle is offset from the steering axis. On a chopper, the offset is 0. Rake on a chopper is the angle between the fork legs and a line perpindicular to the ground drawn through the headtube.

But hey man - you're the one that said there are lots of sites that support your point. I throw up two and the numbers, I didn't get anything from you. So we get the internet classic - can't understand the data, can't refute what's presented so instead deliver an insult and claim time is too precious. Thanks for playing as long as you did.

Last edited by terry b; 05-09-07 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 10:58 PM
VT to CA
Roman Killer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terry b
So we get the internet classic - can't understand the data, can't refute what's presented so instead deliver an insult and claim time is too precious. Thanks for playing as long as you did.
Dude, just google "bicycle fork rake steering" or call your LBS. The reason why I don't feel like arguing is that this isn't exactly brain surgery...
Old 05-09-07, 11:02 PM
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C'mon guy - post one single link that says "more trail = fast steering." Or one that says "more rake = more trail." I've given you a couple and you've given me nothing but attitude.

Or, take apart the ones I've put up. Who am I supposed to believe, you or Craig Calfee?

Surely it ain't rocket science which makes me wonder why you can't get it. Perhaps your LBS explained it to you which is why you have it backwards?
Old 05-09-07, 11:26 PM
unbelievably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C'mon guy - post one single link that says ...

Or, ...
How about starting your own thread on the subject, Ya' terrorist like hijacker...
Old 05-09-07, 11:37 PM
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't get me started.................

Actually, as absurd as it seems it's still germane to the topic. OP was asking which bike would perform "like a racing bike." Rake/trail are probably the two major contributors.
Old 05-09-07, 11:47 PM
glenng
Master Surfer of Curbs

Bikes: Whats it to ya?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting back on track here.......

Like others have posted before........ the bike shop was trying to fit a bike to "your needs" and that is good.

YOur bike shop is listening to your needs and is suggesting a bike that will bring you the most enjoyment based on your requirments.

I have a bunch of bikes...my race bike is my most expensive bike. It weighs 16ish pounds and is stiff as a brick. Beats the crap out of me. I hate to even look at it. It is a tool with only one purpose. I don`t enjoy the scenery when I`m on it. It gets raced and thats it.

My everydaybike weighs 20ish, it is a dream to ride and I actually "enjoy" every mile I ride on it. There is a big difference between the two bikes as far as enjoyment goes. My everydaybike cost $1250 my race bike about 2.5x that. If I could have only one bike it would be the everydaybike. Don`t get caught up with price even if you have a limitless bike fund. Its about enjoying the ride and having fun, its definatley not about how much the bike cost. If it is about how much the bike cost then its really not about cycling, its about owning stuff.
Old 05-10-07, 01:11 AM
VT to CA
Roman Killer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C'mon guy - post one single link that says "more trail = fast steering." Or one that says "more rake = more trail." I've given you a couple and you've given me nothing but attitude.

Or, take apart the ones I've put up. Who am I supposed to believe, you or Craig Calfee?

Surely it ain't rocket science which makes me wonder why you can't get it. Perhaps your LBS explained it to you which is why you have it backwards?
Okay, I'll do my good deed for the day... check out the link below, it's the most basic and straight forward one I could find. I don't blame you for misunderstanding the Calfee explanation, it's written pretty technically.

https://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/dirt...-function.html

If this link doesn't help, give Calfee Design a call at 831-728-1859, and ask them what the steering differences would be if you put either a 45 or 48mm raked fork on their Dragonfly model...

Or ask the same question of the folks at Kuota (since this little debate of ours stemmed from their numbers), they can be reached toll-free at 877 619-0984... I'm sure someone there could explain how the geometry and fork selection of the Kredo make it a more aggressive, quicker turning bike than the Kebel.

Last edited by VT to CA; 05-10-07 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 01:46 AM
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, it must be late for you because that site says exactly what I've been saying all along.

"Modern, new-school sport tourers use forks with a rake of 4.5 cm or less, which produces a lot of trail. On the other hand, classic, old-school sport tourers have 5.0 cm or more of fork rake which produces less trail."

Aside from that guy's personal impressions of riding these bikes around the block, I hardly see how this states what you've been arguing for. If you take the time to read his specs, you'll also see that the head tube angle is getting more slack on the bikes he is describing with larger rakes so the trail is balancing out between the two.

I honestly don't understand why you can't get what Calfee said: "Fork offset for road bikes usually ranges from 40 to 55 mm, generating trail figures from 50 to 63 mm (note, Calfee did not list those backwards even though the higher number is generated by the lower offset (rake). 57mm of trail is considered by many to be an ideal combination of stability and agility." 57 just happens to be trail that a 40 rake produces with a 72.5 HTA. 50 is generated by a 47 rake and gee whiz, that more or less describes our little debate from square one.

So go ahead and insult my ability to understand technical literature, I will resist the urge to get snarky. But it's you (once again) that has it backwards.

Or are you honestly arguing that more trail = quicker handling?

Here's a bit more - "If all the other factors are kept the same, slackening the headtube angle or enlarging the wheel will increase the trail, and extending the rake of the fork will decrease the trail (I use the term rake to mean the forward extension of the fork at the tips, which is sometimes achieved with an angle between a straight-bladed fork and the steertube. This might not be the proper term, but it's what most bicycle engineers use)."

And a bit more - " bicycle is said to be stable when it has a strong correcting tendency in its steering. Imagine a moving bicycle that has its front wheel knocked sideways by a rock or chuckhole, so that it is suddenly turning. If the bicycle has no trail, there will be no steering correction"

Let's summarize -

More stability needs strong steering correction
No trail = no correcting tendency
More rake = less trail
So more rake = less correcting tendency?

Or am I misunderstanding that too?

Here's the link - https://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/tech/trail/

Maybe you should sleep on it a bit and I'll go back to my boring meeting.

Last edited by terry b; 05-10-07 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 02:44 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pedalhard
Was looking for a new bike and had more or less picked one,so I went to the store to see about it.What happened was this,I asked about the Kuota kredo which sells here for 4200.00 [I have some exrtra money at year end after taxes]and was asked by the sales guy if I raced?I said no I ride about 4600 k a year, do group rides and train sort of serious.He said then the Kredo is not for you it's a race bike buy the Kebel instead [around 1200.00 less]What does this mean?If you love biking but do not race you should not buy a bike over 3000.00?I know I do not need a high end race bike but wanted one,so was this guy out of line?
I don't know if this was mentioned but here goes: For the kind of money you're talking about, buy a custom. $4,200.00 will buy a nice Chorus or DA equipped custom frame. You can have the exact geometry and size for your riding needs. IMO, I wouldn't spend more than $3,000.00 on ANY factory bike without first examining some kind of custom. Good luck

Tim
Old 05-10-07, 02:46 AM
samsation7
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can build you a sub 15 pounds bike under 3 grands easily using DA and brand new parts source from ebay.

Originally Posted by cs1
I don't know if this was mentioned but here goes: For the kind of money you're talking about, buy a custom. $4,200.00 will buy a nice Chorus or DA equipped custom frame. You can have the exact geometry and size for your riding needs. IMO, I wouldn't spend more than $3,000.00 on ANY factory bike without first examining some kind of custom. Good luck

Tim
Old 05-10-07, 03:02 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Wow, it must be late for you because that site says exactly what I've been saying all along.

"Modern, new-school sport tourers use forks with a rake of 4.5 cm or less, which produces a lot of trail. On the other hand, classic, old-school sport tourers have 5.0 cm or more of fork rake which produces less trail."

Aside from that guy's personal impressions of riding these bikes around the block, I hardly see how this states what you've been arguing for. If you take the time to read his specs, you'll also see that the head tube angle is getting more slack on the bikes he is describing with larger rakes so the trail is balancing out between the two.

I honestly don't understand why you can't get what Calfee said: "Fork offset for road bikes usually ranges from 40 to 55 mm, generating trail figures from 50 to 63 mm (note, Calfee did not list those backwards even though the higher number is generated by the lower offset (rake). 57mm of trail is considered by many to be an ideal combination of stability and agility." 57 just happens to be trail that a 40 rake produces with a 72.5 HTA. 50 is generated by a 47 rake and gee whiz, that more or less describes our little debate from square one.

So go ahead and insult my ability to understand technical literature, I will resist the urge to get snarky. But it's you (once again) that has it backwards.

Here's a bit more - "If all the other factors are kept the same, slackening the headtube angle or enlarging the wheel will increase the trail, and extending the rake of the fork will decrease the trail (I use the term rake to mean the forward extension of the fork at the tips, which is sometimes achieved with an angle between a straight-bladed fork and the steertube. This might not be the proper term, but it's what most bicycle engineers use)."

And a bit more - " bicycle is said to be stable when it has a strong correcting tendency in its steering. Imagine a moving bicycle that has its front wheel knocked sideways by a rock or chuckhole, so that it is suddenly turning. If the bicycle has no trail, there will be no steering correction"

Let's summarize -

More rake = less trail

Here's a bit more.

For example, track bikes and some time trial bikes have less trail. Twitchier handling. Remember Rasmussen in the TdF time trial two years ago?

Good analysis, by the way. It's less about rake and more about the steerer angle. For example, Trek's Madone's use "straight" forks (no bend in the blades) but Cannondale's System Six uses blade bend. My guess is that the trail is pretty close to the same depending on the size(on my Six, the trail is 5.3). Smaller bike, trail changes due to the wheelbase length. On a Six at 54cm it's 5.6.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 05-10-07 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 03:23 AM
VT to CA
Roman Killer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's summarize -

More rake = less trail

Nice novella. The original fact I stated which you felt the need to debate was this:

"The 45mm rake will turn faster, the 48mm will be cushier. The Kredo is going to turn faster and be more responsive than the Kebel."

Every website referenced has backed that up. Kuota has backed that up. If you call Craig Calfee, he'll back that up. I think the problem here is that you can't see the forest for the trees...

Look, I'm right and you're wrong, okay? No big deal.

I understand that you're confused by this stuff, but can you please just let it go already?

Last edited by VT to CA; 05-10-07 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 03:34 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pedalhard
Thanks for your reply,I had done most of my looking before going to the store so I asked about this bike the kredo which I saw at a bike show.I thought it had what I wanted which was a smoother than I have now ride but still alive plus it looks great!What happened was I felt dumb after he said it was for racing like I do not deserve it.Also I do not look like a guy with over 4000.00 to spend on a bike maybe that's why he tryed to steer me down?
Unfortunately, bike shops do a p!$$ poor job of training their people. They will bring in a "bike person" but give them little to no sales training. So, this person's intentions may have been good, the way it may have looked to you because of the unpolished delivery made it appear to be something different. So, in my case rather than saying "it's for racing", I say "a bit stiffer and more aggressive" because I don't want to paint the customer in a corner that's "you don't look like you race, so you don't need this bike."

Looks should not matter. My brother likes to tell the story of a guy who walks into a Ferrari dealership not looking like he belonged there. Dressed in cotton sweat pants, t shirt, hair a mess and unshaved. In the dealership, the sales people rotate (due to the number of cars they sell...it's quality not quantity) and the next guy up tells the most junior guy, "You take him. He'll never buy anything and I don't want to waste my time."
The guy was August Busch IV. Yeah, the Busch familly that owns Budweiser. Paid cash for a Testarossa.

I had a lady come in that was looking for a MTB. She looked like she was going to do some serious yard work and had put on her really grubby clothes to work in. Captain for FED EX flying DC 10's across the country.

I always phrase "bike feel" in a way that helps the customer visualize the ride they will get and how they will sit on the bike. Then, they can decide what they want. Once we narrow that down, it's on to why bikes cost what they do and within a frameset they can pick their components given what the manufacturer puts on that frameset.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 05-10-07 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 06:33 AM
pedalhard

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by glenng
Getting back on track here.......

Like others have posted before........ the bike shop was trying to fit a bike to "your needs" and that is good.

YOur bike shop is listening to your needs and is suggesting a bike that will bring you the most enjoyment based on your requirments.

I have a bunch of bikes...my race bike is my most expensive bike. It weighs 16ish pounds and is stiff as a brick. Beats the crap out of me. I hate to even look at it. It is a tool with only one purpose. I don`t enjoy the scenery when I`m on it. It gets raced and thats it.

My everydaybike weighs 20ish, it is a dream to ride and I actually "enjoy" every mile I ride on it. There is a big difference between the two bikes as far as enjoyment goes. My everydaybike cost $1250 my race bike about 2.5x that. If I could have only one bike it would be the everydaybike. Don`t get caught up with price even if you have a limitless bike fund. Its about enjoying the ride and having fun, its definatley not about how much the bike cost. If it is about how much the bike cost then its really not about cycling, its about owning stuff.
What your saying is so true thanks for the realty check

Old 05-10-07, 07:07 AM
Mellow Johnny