Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

differences between cheap and expensive brakes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 04:24 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts

let me start off by saying that i am new to road biking and road biking components. i am currently running some cheap tektro calipers with diacompe tt levers (188). they work okay, but nothing super impressive. coming from riding mountain bikes and having used cantis, v's, hydraulics, and discs, i wonder if i can do better with an upgrade.

i am wondering if i will notice performance gains if i upgrade to some more expensive brake calipers/levers, such as these?

for levers, i can see how some can be better than others (more adjustable, better ergo, better feel), but i fail to see how much different calipers can be from one another. is it mainly a gimmick or will there actually be a noticeable gain in performance? can said gains be achieved by upgrading just the pads?
Old 02-22-09, 04:45 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The first thing you should try is new pads. The stock Tektro ones aren't very good. I prefer Kool-Stop pads, either black or salmon.
Old 02-22-09, 04:48 AM
unbelievably

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd also go the Kool-Stop route if it was on a better set-up.
However, I'm gonna suggest that you score some 105's.
Old 02-22-09, 07:29 AM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cheap calipers tend to flex more under harder braking, thus you have less braking power.

i'd go for SRAM Rival brakes myself. Red is kinda overkill...
Old 02-22-09, 07:33 AM
celerystalksme
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you MIGHT notice a difference with the SRAM Red calipers...but i suggest changing pads first...

calipers DO make a difference...some have more stopping power due to leverage ratios and stiffness of the arms...and they feel different because the modulation might be different...and some are certainly lighter than others (if that matters to you)...and different brakes might have small differenes in clearance which may matter if you like to run larger tires...

but i'm not sure if anyone has done a real test to see which brakes are the strongest stopping power...and i'm afraid that a lightweight brake like the SRAM Red might not actually have more stopping power than say SRAM Rival or whatever. i mean...it might...but it might not. i really have no idea.
Old 02-22-09, 10:03 AM
bigtea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tektro to SRAM Red? That is a hyperspace leap. Why don't you buy some Ultegra calipers at Nashbar for 80 bucks or some other online store that is blowing them out. Solid, reliable, great stopping power.
Old 02-22-09, 10:52 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Yes, there can be a difference between cheap and more expensive brakes, but Tektro to SRAM Red is pretty excessive. SRAM Rival will work just as well as Red for a lot less money. SRAM road brakes really are pretty boss - I've been very impressed with my Rivals. The stock pads are even pretty good. Shimano brakes will probably also do very well, especially from 105 and up. The Tektros are known to be capable brakes, but perhaps not quite on par with more expensive models. I would be okay with them on a bike I intended to just cruise around on, but if I'm going to be hauling ass, better performance is nice. That said, I did some serious ass-hauling last year (race season) with old Shimano 105 single-pivot sidepulls, and I survived. Seriously built up my hand strength, too!
Old 02-22-09, 12:47 PM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The difference between Tektro brakes and 105 is enormous, even with the same pads it's pretty huge. I recommend 105 highly. It won't brake (he he) the bank, and it's an upgrade you'll really notice. If you are short on cash, just replace the front, you don't need a strong back brake, as even a wussy one will be enough to skid the wheel. Much less traction there.
Old 02-22-09, 12:52 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
is there any place to buy 105 brakes? seems most places sell ultegra components and up.
Old 02-22-09, 01:59 PM
Geordi Laforge
Large Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ebay
Old 02-22-09, 02:07 PM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The difference between cheap and expensive brakes is the difference between cheap and expensive helmets.

You know what they say, a $10 brain is worth a $10 helmet.
Old 02-22-09, 07:18 PM
swif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Won a brand new set of '09 105 calipers for $60 on ebay. I'm happy with that.
Old 02-22-09, 07:31 PM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Will Rival calipers work with shimano levers?
Old 02-22-09, 07:37 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I ride a bike with Tektro Quartz calipers and 200a levers and have no problem with them at all, and this is compared to my Chorus brakes. I don't feel any difference at all. I have salmon pads on my Tektro, and the stock Campy pads on the other. The levers feel the same too, Tektro did a good job copying Campy. The only problem is that I keep trying to click the shift lever on the Tektros...
Old 02-22-09, 07:39 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All brakes will work with all levers, except cantis and some levers.
Old 02-22-09, 08:10 PM
Mr. Fly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Basil Moss
The difference between Tektro brakes and 105 is enormous, even with the same pads it's pretty huge.
The Tektro and the 105 brakes look very similar. Given that the cross-sections of the arms of these brakes are similar, their stiffness must be similar too. Furthermore, all double-pivot brakes have more or less the same kind of leverage. I don't see how the difference can be "enormous". My experience with many different brakes (of the same basic design) bear this out -- as long as the brakes are set up correctly (including using decent brake cables) and use good pads (e.g., Koolstop salmons), there is no functional difference in braking power.

More expensive brakes do typically weigh a bit less, and there's nothing wrong with being a weight weenie.

Originally Posted by Bearonabike
The difference between cheap and expensive brakes is the difference between cheap and expensive helmets.

I don't know if you're serious with your comment.

Helmets all use the same expanded polystyrene foam for energy absorption. More expensive helmets have more vents. That means less material to absorb impact. That in turn means less relative protection.
Old 02-22-09, 09:30 PM
invwnut
I don't even own a cat...

Bikes: 2008 LG sonix 6.4, 2002 KHS Flite 500, 1999 Big Sur Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Fly
The Tektro and the 105 brakes look very similar. Given that the cross-sections of the arms of these brakes are similar, their stiffness must be similar too. Furthermore, all double-pivot brakes have more or less the same kind of leverage. I don't see how the difference can be "enormous". My experience with many different brakes (of the same basic design) bear this out -- as long as the brakes are set up correctly (including using decent brake cables) and use good pads (e.g., Koolstop salmons), there is no functional difference in braking power.

More expensive brakes do typically weigh a bit less, and there's nothing wrong with being a weight weenie.

I don't know if you're serious with your comment.

Helmets all use the same expanded polystyrene foam for energy absorption. More expensive helmets have more vents. That means less material to absorb impact. That in turn means less relative protection.

What he says....

I agree that more costly calipers won't be a huge improvement in performance. You may add some modulation and feel. I'd go with pads first. If you are a heavy person, you may see some difference in calipers stiffness from real cheap to expensive. I have FSA Gossamer brakes which is their low end brake. I don't feel it doing a poor job of stopping me. I want to upgrade mostly for aesthetics since I have SRAM Force stuff then Gossamer brakes. Not in a hurry to change.

Last edited by invwnut; 02-22-09 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-22-09, 09:42 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As the price goes up weight comes down. Braking power and safety are not part of either equation.
Old 02-22-09, 09:52 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tektro brakes are not bad. dual pivot brakes have lots of braking power and they work pretty good. but I'm from the old school, for bikes to go fast, why do you need powerful brakes? remember, I live in the san francisco bay area with fast technical descents. sure you need brakes to shed some speed but not bakes that grab and slow you down so much that need to sprint back to speed. I have had times when someone cuts in-front of me and slams on the brakes and I had to do the same...which resulted in me locking up my wheels (too much braking). but with that said, I'm on zero g and record.
Old 02-23-09, 02:46 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
i guess i shouldn't have chose the sram red for comparing to my tektros but that gets at the exact question i am asking. at what point do you stop paying for performance and start paying for "bling" factor? the analogy in mtb is that shimano lx and xt perform similar if not equal to xtr at a fraction of the cost.

it seems like the 105 and rival lines are a good performance/cost balance, so i'll look into those. but i probably should try some new pads first to see if that makes a difference. i also wonder how much of it is in the levers, and how much is due to the calipers?

as for usage, i guess i am looking for something that can stop me on a dime in emergency situations. i like to go fast and like to stay off brakes as much as possible but sometimes i go on group rides in the city and need something that i can depend on. i should also add that i am on the heavier side in cyclist terms- 5'11" and 185lbs.

Last edited by tFUnK; 02-23-09 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-23-09, 03:15 AM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Fly
My experience with many different brakes (of the same basic design) bear this out -- as long as the brakes are set up correctly (including using decent brake cables) and use good pads (e.g., Koolstop salmons), there is no functional difference in braking power.
I thought that once, but on a bike with long reach brakes, the difference between Tektro and Ultegra-level were significant and immediately obvious. The tektros were mushy at full squeeze. The Ultegra calipers nearly pitched me over the bars. Yes, new pads on both brakes.
Old 06-16-09, 08:13 AM
gsr2nv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a bike with "Ultralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge pads" (according to the specialized.com website). I was looking to upgrade my brakes, and from the comments above, I figured that I should start with the pads first. It wouldn't make much of a difference if I switch to Shimano 105 brakes, would it? They can be had online for ~$70CAD, which i think is worth it if they will give me better braking than my current setup.

I was looking into the Kool Stop (black) because I only ride in dry conditions. ~$20CAD sounds reasonable I guess?
Old 06-16-09, 08:16 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AaN0pK-Q6A
Old 06-16-09, 08:23 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
So, expensive brakes keep your head a bit cooler, and look nicer?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.