Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Summer cycling-how to ease the pain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 06:20 AM
Dangerous Dave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where I live has seen a colder than normal Winter, which has kind of reset my thermostat. I feel comfrotable riding in 8-12C weather in shorts and a tshirt. Less is obviously not decent. I start to find it becomes harder work once temperatures get up into the teens or even 20's. Our July/ August average temperatures are 13-14C for the low and 22C for the high. I know most of you have much worse summers than that.
One obvious solution would be riding at 4am, just before it gets light, but that's a time no one should be expected to get up, and even then it's not exactly cool for riding. I just get through so much water and come back feeling really sick in the summer, especially when it's been sunny. Is it dangerous to cycle in sandals (apparently the feet lose a lot of heat). Are there special fabrics I can get to keep my cool. Should I try deliberately riding when it's raining?
Old 02-19-09, 09:03 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
Should I try deliberately riding when it's raining?
Absolutely. I find it takes 40 years off my state-of-mind.
Old 02-19-09, 09:17 AM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You just need to acclimate.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 02-19-09, 12:05 PM
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid-20s C is my favourite temperature for riding the road bike. All the muscles and joints stay warm and I don't mind warmer as long as the air stays dry. Heat is only a problem for me when the humidity rises - not enough evaporative cooling and I tend to overheat.
I also do a short commute all year, even in -25C weather and lots of snow.

We won't be warm and toasty around here until June - a few days in May if we're lucky. I aim to get on my road bike in early April, but that will entail, leg warmers, overbooties, mid-weight jersey, fleece vest, shell, ear band and helmet cover. I can hardly wait for summer.
Old 02-19-09, 01:34 PM
Torgrot

Bikes: Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I had to look to see what temperature mid 20'sC was. You are joking when you say you are uncomfortable at that temperature right? A quick calculation would put us in the mid 30'sC for most of June, July and August here. I would think I had died and gone to heaven if the summer was the mid 20's.

torgrot
Old 02-19-09, 02:05 PM
Dangerous Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I unfortunately do find 22C uncomfortable for riding. Our summers are very humid, and if we get a heatwave it can be much hotter, e.g. July 2006 had an average high of 27.
I was getting muscle cramps in the 20C September sun when I stupidly did my shopping in the afternoon, and cycled home fully laden. Highs in the mid teens aren't so bad for me, but the problem is when it stays above 15C for several hours, or the temperatures are already 15+ at 9am.
Given that I struggle with high temperatures, is my pattern of wearing shorts and t shirt down to about 7 or 8 degrees normal or is that weird?
I don't think I struggle with a thyroid condition because sit me inside a room sat still and I dress just as heavily as everyone else.
Old 02-19-09, 02:27 PM
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I unfortunately do find 22C uncomfortable for riding. Our summers are very humid, and if we get a heatwave it can be much hotter, e.g. July 2006 had an average high of 27.
I was getting muscle cramps in the 20C September sun when I stupidly did my shopping in the afternoon, and cycled home fully laden. Highs in the mid teens aren't so bad for me, but the problem is when it stays above 15C for several hours, or the temperatures are already 15+ at 9am.

Given that I struggle with high temperatures, is my pattern of wearing shorts and t shirt down to about 7 or 8 degrees normal or is that weird?
I don't think I struggle with a thyroid condition because sit me inside a room sat still and I dress just as heavily as everyone else.
Maybe not weird, but I think it is very, very unusual. Your internal thermostat is different than most people's.
Old 02-19-09, 04:55 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
You just need to acclimate.

Exactly. Where do you live? I would much prefer 22C to 27C bike rides in the middle of summer here. Last summer I took a few long 37C bike rides and it wasn't too bad.
Old 02-19-09, 05:47 PM
brokenknee

Bikes: Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For others that grew up only with Fahrenheit.

https://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm
Old 02-21-09, 01:01 AM
johnny0

Bikes: 2008 Generic Carbon Frame with full Ultegra, 2007 Iron Horse Victory 3, 2007 Fuji Absolute LX, 2005 Leader LD735 with Ultegra kit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I unfortunately do find 71.6F uncomfortable for riding. Our summers are very humid, and if we get a heatwave it can be much hotter, e.g. July 2006 had an average high of 80.6F.
I was getting muscle cramps in the 68F September sun when I stupidly did my shopping in the afternoon, and cycled home fully laden. Highs in the mid teens aren't so bad for me, but the problem is when it stays above 59F for several hours, or the temperatures are already 59F+ at 9am.
Given that I struggle with high temperatures, is my pattern of wearing shorts and t shirt down to about 44.6F or 46.4F degrees normal or is that weird?
Im converting this into F for us US folks. now that the temperatures are converted over i think you are an eskimo or polar bear. Comfy cycling weather for me is 15 - 27C (60 to 80F) and summer highs are 35C-40C (95F-105F) on the east coast of US. Where do you live again?
Old 02-21-09, 01:21 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had to look the conversion up myself and I thought 71 to 80 were perfect cycling weather. If it is down in the 40s I am not going out without at least three layers, leg warmers, arm warmers, long gloves and a Balaclava. And if it isn’t going to get over 50 I might have tights on as well. 90 degrees sure isn’t a problem but 100 is. I just ride early in the morning. Was the OP posting from Greenland?
Old 02-21-09, 01:26 AM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Bikes: 1983 Trek 560

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
22C/71.6F? It's warmer than that before the sun comes up here sometimes in the summer. 32C/90F+ afternoon temperatures are very, very common around here, and I always thought that I was in a mild zone.
Old 02-21-09, 05:06 AM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When it gets warm for you, you need to be wearing technical clothing. In other words, riding clothes that are made to assist the cooling process. Your t-shirts (cotton or cotton blend I assume) would not help in this regard...
Old 02-21-09, 11:27 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are getting cramps at any temp, you need to talk to a sports person about hydration.
Old 02-21-09, 11:54 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Thanks for the conversions. My mind only thinks in American.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-21-09, 12:34 PM
eminefes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You would love living here in Florida. 32C/90F (often higher) with 100% humidity.
Old 02-22-09, 12:57 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Are you working very hard when riding? Would you be able to speak a sentence, or only grunt if another cyclist talked with you? It can be a good idea to not work as hard in heat.

How long do you spend acclimating to 22C riding weather? What's the humidity level? It's often 30C in the summer where I live, and it takes me a bit to acclimate when the hot weather gets here. Do you heat up quickly or cool down slowly when exercising? For instance, some players of American football use ice vests for cooling - the players who are massive people do not shed heat quickly.

Are you drinking enough? Your sweat might be saltier than average, and you may get cramps from being dehydrated and low on electrolytes.

I've met a few people who got really hot at temperatures above 22C and had trouble tolerating that. 1 of them had 2 below-knee amputations, and 1 guy was an above knee amputee. With that much extremity removed, the balance of body surface area to blood volume is changed, and the person often runs very warm. Often people with multiple sclerosis have trouble in heat, and you see them wearing those kool-tie objects around their necks to help with cooling. If that kind of gadget helps you, I would use one.

It wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor about your discomfort in heat, just in case it's an early warning of high blood pressure or something.
Old 02-22-09, 01:04 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12195 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
And I thought I was bad with the heat. Where do you live?

They make jerseys for hot weather. I have a couple long sleeve ones
that work quite well.

Short haircuts help, as does a visor. I find sunglasses help for some reason.

Bring extra water and hose down your head and shirt.

Bring along Enduralytes.

When the temps jump, give your body some time to adapt. This can take weeks, so keep pushing the comfort envelope, but try and do it a little at a time.
Old 02-22-09, 01:08 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Takes me Three Days to adjust to Hot Riding.

(1) Ride to hard, Forgot sun screen. Think I will die.
(2) Sun Screen, Ride Slow, Drink Drink Drink, Cover my head, neck, and ears.
(3) Same as day 2, Add Ice Water Showers on neck and back.
make extra stops for ice and water.

Old 02-22-09, 01:08 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
riding in the early morning or later after the sun goes down are the only options for getting out of the direct sun.

when it's really hot, just do shorter rides... you're not getting paid to do this, so no sense in making yourself sick over it. everyone acclimates differently (some never really do) to the heat. just gotta go at your own pace.
Old 02-22-09, 02:51 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sounds as though you have similar temps to us in the UK- although we do get hotter. Our main problem is not so much the heat as the Humidity. 22 degC with high humidity will wear me out quicker than a ride in the 10's- or even 30's- providing that Humidity count is low.

Nasty word now- in view of the health conscious- and that is SALT. When the Humidity goes up- You require more salt. Luckily there is a very good replacement in Isotonic Drinks. There are also other supplements that work aswell and one of the best for me is a Marmite sandwich. Replaces all the essential salts you have lost on a ride- and clears the palette of the Isotonic drinks and energy bars that some are addicted to.

So if you feel warm- get an Isotonic additive in your drinks bottle and drink lots of it--Or shorten the rides.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-22-09, 04:08 PM
Caspar_s

Bikes: Giant Tcx1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to acclimatise like you did for winter.

Ride more. Stop staying in air conditioning when you're off the bike.
I turn off the heater at work because I can't stand the hot air blowing on me - all my co-workers complain about the cold... with the heater on. I go outside when people are picking stuff up just in a t-shirt down to -10C (14F). You just get used to the temperature and watch the time/wind.

In summer just stay out in the heat and watch the water/salt. Longer shirt/jersey may actually help with the sun.
Old 02-23-09, 05:19 AM
Dangerous Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am on the South Coast of the UK. Tha verage July high is 22.2C/72F. We do normally have the humidity over 60%. I like riding at around 10C/50F and would be happy with that temperature all year. I feel most comfortable rding in shorts and a t shirt if it is around 10C/50F. Above 15/59 begins to get a little tiring. The UK is very hilly btw
Old 02-23-09, 03:16 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Technical fabrics / cycling shorts are advisable in any weather. I also wear a skullcap under my helmet; it helps keep sweat off my face.

When I am sweating a lot I get some drinks with electrolytes, not just water, but I avoid a lot of sugar as it makes me feel bad.
Old 02-23-09, 05:26 PM
JHG57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like 90f - 105f all of my joints feel good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.