Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Fitting. Why different at every store?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 10:27 AM
avzay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As some of you might know from my other thread, I am currently shopping for a road bike. This weekend I went to a bunch of different stores to try out bikes, not knowing what size of the frame I should be riding in the first place. All 3 stores suggested 3 different sizes of the frames. One Cannondale and Specialized Dealers put me on a 58cm frame. Trek store put me on a 60cm frame and another Cannondale dealer told me that I should be riding on a 56cm frame. This makes me rather confused as none of them actually did any measurements. I did not notice much fit difference between 56cm Cannondales, Specialized or Trek. The 58cm Cannondale however made me feel like i was too stretched out when holding the drop bars (the bike did have an extra long stem installed).

What exactly is my size and who should I believe? I am 6'1"-6'2" tall and have rather long legs.
Old 06-01-09, 10:30 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
What is your shoe size?

Old 06-01-09, 10:31 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you're asking about bike sizing, not bike fitting.
Old 06-01-09, 10:31 AM
intence

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try some on the online fit calculators such as the one at Competitive Cyclist. The fit isn't only about your height, but also how long your legs are in proportion to your torso, and how flexible you are etc.

If you believe that you have long legs and a relatively short torso, then the smaller sizes might fit better since they'll have a shorter top-tube.

What a bit odd in the bike industry is that bikes are sized by the length of the seat tube (most measure from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, called Center-To-Top sizing. Cannondale usually measures from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube, so the Cannondale will seem "bigger" but may have a similar top-tube length as a similarly sized Trek/Specialized)

Most here will agree that the most important aspect of the fit (or the best starting point) is to get the top-tube length to be as close to correct as possible. Use a couple fit calculators and ride a few bikes, and see what top-tube length you're comfortable with. Again, if your assumption is correct that you have long legs for your height, then you should have a somewhat short torso, so you might want a shorter top-tube, but if you have long arms, then maybe not (depending on your reach).

Try the fit calculators, see what they say, then ride a few bikes. Keep in mind it's much easier to make a smaller bike larger, but it's more difficult to make a larger bike smaller.
Old 06-01-09, 11:26 AM
tombailey
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After they tell you your size, ask them what sizes they have in stock.
Old 06-01-09, 11:30 AM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by tombailey
+1 Some stores will tell you that your size just so happens to match the size of the bike they have in stock. ie if they have a 58 and don't have a 60, then you must be a 58.

OTOH, sizes do differ between manufacturers.

Test ride some at a LBS that you are comfortable with
Old 06-01-09, 11:35 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tombailey
+1

After they say you look like a 58cm ask to see a 56cm and a 60cm so you can compare.

Also if they just look at you and pick a size don't think that they are correct. Listen to them when they actually measure you.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 06-01-09, 12:23 PM
Steel Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
you're asking about bike sizing, not bike fitting.
+1. But also bear in mind that not all manufacturers measure their frames the same way.

The first -and probably more obvious- difference is whether the "size" refers to the measurement of the seat tube from center to center or from center to top, but there may be more subtle ones.
Old 06-01-09, 12:34 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-01-09, 01:13 PM
dubMON

Bikes: Serotta Coeur d'Acier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make your purchase from the store that actually fits you to a bike, and then have them fit the bike to you.
Old 06-01-09, 01:29 PM
Cycho

Bikes: Canondale CAAD 10 3; Trek 7200; Motobecane Grand Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar issue. I'm 5'10 - 5'11'' and a couple of LBS had me on 56cm - 60cm sizes. I didn't know who to trust. So, I went online and tried several different size calculators to compare. Colorado cyclist, competitive cyclist, wrench science and I also read this article that talked about FIT and not so much size. In the end, 60cm was what I chose since the general consensus is to err on the bigger size since that gives you the option to adjust the seat post and stem. If it's too small, you're stuck.
Old 06-01-09, 01:48 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycho
I had a similar issue. I'm 5'10 - 5'11'' and a couple of LBS had me on 56cm - 60cm sizes. I didn't know who to trust. So, I went online and tried several different size calculators to compare. Colorado cyclist, competitive cyclist, wrench science and I also read this article that talked about FIT and not so much size. In the end, 60cm was what I chose since the general consensus is to err on the bigger size since that gives you the option to adjust the seat post and stem. If it's too small, you're stuck.
why can't you use seatpost and stem for too small frame?
Old 06-01-09, 01:52 PM
chadteck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hrm. I'm 5'11" and was wavering between 56cm and 58cm because those were the options for the bike I purchased. In the end I went with the 56cm and it has been great. The 58 probably would have worked, but 60 cm seems like the top tube would be up my crack while standing on the ground.

OP: Seems like for your height, you would want at least a 58 cm. I would also recommend test riding some bikes in the range of 56 cm - 60 cm and see which feel the best ( I would almost throw out the 56 cm, but you seem to be favoring it).
Old 06-01-09, 02:22 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
There are also different schools of thought on bike fit. Over the years, there has been a tendency for people to ride samller frames with more seatpost extended.

This will typically result in a more aggressive fit with more drop from seat to bar. So part of the equation is what you're going to be doing with the bike, how flexible you are, and how you want it setup.

Thus just as a hypothetical, you might fit well on a 58cm from a reach to the bars point of view, if you don't want much drop, but you might want to go with a 56 cm, and a longer stem, if you want the bike setup with a lot of drop.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-01-09, 02:24 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As others have noted, at some unscrupulous stores "your size" is the closest they have in stock.

Do your own research and shop armed with knowledge.
Old 06-01-09, 02:25 PM
avzay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the replies. it seems like i did get fitting confused with sizing. I will go and check out those web sites for sure. I guess the issue of flexibility came out (I am very inflexible), which has always been a huge weakness of mine, although it never held me back. Would smaller frame offer a less stetched out riding position or is that more of a stem/seat adjustment thing? Riding the bikes that stretched me out too much made it very uncomfortable and i could feel pain in my back after 5 minutes of trying them out. I think i will just go back and try some of those sizes back to back.
Old 06-01-09, 02:30 PM
bk2wk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in a similar dilemma while searching a few weeks back. I went to a LBS who has Argon 18 Fit Bike and spent about an 1hr to get bike fit measurements. Now I feel much more comfortable shopping around for a bike. It didnt cost much & if I decide to buy the bike from the shop, they will credit the bike fit money towards the purchase of a new bike. That's been my experience so far.
Old 06-01-09, 02:33 PM
avzay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
There are also different schools of thought on bike fit. Over the years, there has been a tendency for people to ride samller frames with more seatpost extended.

This will typically result in a more aggressive fit with more drop from seat to bar. So part of the equation is what you're going to be doing with the bike, how flexible you are, and how you want it setup.

Thus just as a hypothetical, you might fit well on a 58cm from a reach to the bars point of view, if you don't want much drop, but you might want to go with a 56 cm, and a longer stem, if you want the bike setup with a lot of drop.
Just from trying out various bikes this weekend, I felt a ton better on the bikes with a slightly more upright riding position. A few were set up with bars very low and I could not even handle 5 minutes in that position. My flexibility has always been horrible and that might have to do something with it. This would be my first road bike and I would be riding it by myself for not super long distances in very hilly terrain.
Old 06-01-09, 02:34 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
haha!
Old 06-01-09, 02:36 PM
powpow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience, the average LBS doesn't know jack sh** about fitting. You have to do most of the research yourself, and then go to a pro fitter who actually knows what they're doing.
Old 06-01-09, 02:47 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is pretty much backwards from what I know.. (but then what do i know...) and what happened to 58's?

Someone here had a big thread asking people about their sizes and found the averages for different heights. It was a pretty close grouping.

*found link*
yep, you should have gone with the 56
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=531856

Last edited by dsellinger; 06-01-09 at 02:50 PM. Reason: add link
Old 06-01-09, 02:54 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
^ I'd also agree that's for the most part backwards. If the frame is too big, it's going to be virtually impossible to set it up with enough drop from seat to bars, and you can only decrease the reach by so much before the stem gets impractically short. And at the extreme, you're limited by standover height (at least with conventional geometry)

With a 300mm seatpost, 140 mm stem with enough rise, and an uncut steerer tube, you can get an acceptable fit on a pretty small frame.

If I were between two frames, I would pick the smaller, unless the goal was to have a very upright fit, then I would pick the one with the taller headtube.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-01-09, 02:57 PM
powpow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the end, 60cm was what I chose since the general consensus is to err on the bigger size since that gives you the option to adjust the seat post and stem. If it's too small, you're stuck.
Old 06-01-09, 02:59 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I'm also 6'2'' and mostly leg. I used to ride a 60cm C'dale, and then switched to a 58cm a couple of years ago. I prefer the 58, as I don't feel stretched out and have a decent amount of drop. My fitter said that I should ideally be on a custom bike.

Either a 58 or a 60 would probably work for you, depending on your preference. 56 seems awfully small...
Old 06-01-09, 03:07 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I'm also 6'2'' and mostly leg. I used to ride a 60cm C'dale, and then switched to a 58cm a couple of years ago. I prefer the 58, as I don't feel stretched out and have a decent amount of drop. My fitter said that I should ideally be on a custom bike.

Either a 58 or a 60 would probably work for you, depending on your preference. 56 seems awfully small...
He's 5'10-5'11 not 6'2.
I'm 5'11.75 and ride a 56. Going in for a pro fitting today so i guess i'll see if my bike is big or small, but I do feel pretty stretched out riding on the hoods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.